• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike in Teams

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so I was playing 3.5 with my brother and our friends and we played teams. I used both Samus and Ike, and while I already knew Samus was awesome, I discovered that Ike = OP. Especially Ike + Ike (Ike Climbers FTW!). Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Do you agree/disagree, who do you think he works best with, stage choices, etc.

I feel like he's good because he can reach anyone from anywhere, has easy combos, and can escape pressure well, meaning he's even alright as the a lone wolf against two opponents.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
Ike's goodness in doubles is actually very partner-dependent.

I'll talk about this more later, lol, right now my brain is stuck in singles mode. Still so much to analyze about 3.5.
Lol the tier list speculation? It's going pretty strong right now.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Ike's goodness in doubles is actually very partner-dependent.

I'll talk about this more later, lol, right now my brain is stuck in singles mode. Still so much to analyze about 3.5.
I agree. Some partners I've had, I absolutely kill them and it doesn't end up being a very well constructed them.

I'm currently teamed up with a Pikachu/ZSS main, and the Pikachu-Ike combo seems pretty good solely for the fact neither of us get in the others way, even when we're team combo-ing.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
I agree. Some partners I've had, I absolutely kill them and it doesn't end up being a very well constructed them.

I'm currently teamed up with a Pikachu/ZSS main, and the Pikachu-Ike combo seems pretty good solely for the fact neither of us get in the others way, even when we're team combo-ing.
Which partners didn't end up working out so well for you? This is just me speculating, but I feel like Snake wouldn't be very good with Ike at all.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Samus - Ike, when I was teamed up with DtJ S2 was awful. Though, a part of me believes me and S2 aren't good partners in some respect. Unless we were back to back, her missiles prevented me from doing certain options, and her lack of speed put me into a position where trying to swat off enemies meant killing Samus.

Also, Ike-ZSS wasn't very good- but I believe that was because ZSS didn't seem all that amazing as a team partner.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
It really depends. I usually let my partner pick whatever they prefer game 1, then I give my input game 2 based on how the game felt.

If I felt I wanted more room, I go for that, and so on.

ZiggaWaTT

Smash Journeyman
I have finally been getting some doubles practice the past couple weeks and I can agree that it is partner dependent. Your partner needs to be aware that you just need to go in and get in the opponents face ( I do at least) and doesnt get in your way to feel the wrath of ike himself. Personally i feel that ike - link is a good combo because link can use projectiles to throw at the opponets while ike just goes ham on their faces. I am aware of the projectiles so i avoid them and the link players i play with are careful not to hit me with them and when they do hit me its usually my fault. Again i only started doubles a couple weeks ago and this is how i have been playing it. If there are better ways to play doubles i would love to hear them

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
My access to smash is very limited as of right now so my experience is still at only Ike + Ike. I feel like they work well together because they can cycle really efficiently. With powerful attacks and very high mobility they also don't get in each others' way a lot. In addition, they can separate the opponents well and keep them separated because of these traits.

Plus it's damn hilarious. They fight for their friends you know? I guess they've always got each others' backs.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Strong Bad and I have historically done well in doubles going double Ike, but I'm not sure if that's because of the character's synergy or because of raw player skill at locals.

D

Deleted member

ike you generally want to go to larger stages to take advantage of your better kill options, ability to move around more freely, heavier weight, and chances to reset to positional neutral. if you're stuck on a smaller stage you might be more "dangerous" so to speak but you're stuck doing mostly jabs and bair all match and you get tons of issues from shield abuse too. thankfully many players are afraid of smaller stage vs characters that hit hard, so the misinformation works out for you.

True Fool

Smash Ace
I've doubled with a Mario, Wario, Kirby, Bowser and Meta-Knight.

Mario was okay, not great. We kind of did our own things and it worked out okay, but I feel we could have been working together a little better.

Wario was nice, because we could both travel the stage very fast to help the other out. Wario had the air under control, and I'd just pick them off with up-smashes and fairs/bairs.

Kirby was surprisingly good, and I say surprising because my partner wasn't particularly well-experienced. Again, partner had the air and I'd pick em off tthe ground. He got really upset because he accidentally Kirby-cided me once. I tried to tell him he did well despite that, but he didn't want to join me for any tournies after that.

Bowser, I had trouble with this team. We got destroyed by projectiles(well, Bowser did, and I was left with 2v1). May have just been teammate-error, but I would probably go with a secondary if I teamed with this fellow again.

MK was the same guy who was Bowser. I thought this team would do as well if not better than Kirby, and it probably should, but my teammate got thrashed by Falco. I kept trying to switch opponents and help him out, but no matter what, he was just dying. I'd give this team another chance if given the opportunity.

Top Bottom