• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike, Overrated, and Overpowered!

noodles

Smash Champion
if playing someone aware of habits players do the can definitly punish with ike. one thing that makes me laugh alot is... if u just died with ike and still have invincibility run up to the player and do a forward smash backwords depending on the scrub chances are he wud try rolling behind you b4 he noticed what your doing rolling staight into the attack

Zarez

Smash Cadet
since ike is slow and Lag makes it more slow, it must be horrible...
It depends mostly on your own playstyle, but I actually think it might be a bit harder to play as fast characters. If you use a slow character, you can still do well in a match as long as you have good timing.

I usually only experience lag when I'm active. If I don't press or hold anything, most of the time there doesn't seem to be any lag at all.

When I use slow characters, I might be able to rely on their weight or power, which makes lag not too much of an issue. Assuming that lag is the same for everyone else, the problem with using fast characters is that lag can keep you from using their speed, which forces you to play as if you were using a slow character. Lag can also make certain combos a lot harder to pull off, depending on how bad it is.

What I find most annoying, with any character, is how hard it can be to recover. (especially when using Luigi's cyclone, which requires continuous button pressing).

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
i think the title contradicts itself
That was the first thing I thought. You can't be both overpowered AND overated.

Overpowered
To overcome or vanquish by superior force; subdue.
To affect so strongly as to make helpless or ineffective; overwhelm.

Overated
to rate or appraise too highly; overestimate

So he's too powerful, but that's overestimating his ability?

Man the next time I need a logical fallacy I know who to call.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
i was about to say where the **** do u see a pit player thinking that was meant for me (assuming i played pit due to icon) but then i look above my last post
good eyes, now can you kindly lead PitMasta back where he belongs. I think he got lost and can't find his way back. lol

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
Sure, Ike may be slow, but is easily the most powerful character in the game, and i find him to be WAY OVERRATED! He will definatly be high tier, I don't ever use Ike at all! But seriously, he is OVERRATED! :dizzy:
Your entire post is wrong except for the fact that you say he is slow. Ike is not the most powerful character in the game. King DeDeDe and Ganondorf are. He is not over-rated, nubs pick him in basic brawl because they can steal kills easy. He is not over-powered. Most of his kill moves have huge lag so it is balanced. He will not be high tier. I'd say mid at best. I am not an Ike user but even I can tell you don't know what you are talking about.

Ike's Biggest Fan

Smash Apprentice
Following Ike's travels through Tellius and beyond
good eyes, now can you kindly lead PitMasta back where he belongs. I think he got lost and can't find his way back. lol
I despise Pit as much as the next guy, but but a pit main's allowed to throw in his opinion isn't he?
He has as much voice as anyone else.
not to mention.
voicing an opinion about ike in the pit forum would be a little misplaced wouldn't it?

PitMasta

Smash Journeyman
Truer words were never spoken. Preech on brother!
AMEN! lol! At least SOMEBODY AGREE'S WITH ME!

and no, i didn't get lost, im just sick of everybody flaming on me because i don't like Ike, its kinda rude, when i first posted the topic, i didn't say anything rude about Ike at all...it was kinda strange how everybody went crazy and immature...

rtmcs1017

Smash Cadet
Sure, Ike may be slow, but is easily the most powerful character in the game, and i find him to be WAY OVERRATED! He will definatly be high tier, I don't ever use Ike at all! But seriously, he is OVERRATED! :dizzy:
Your lack of intelligence speaks volumes about how relevant and accurate your post is.

Have a nice day. I wish I had a ban stick.

EDIT: Just wanted to say it's hilarious that a Pit player is calling Ike overpowered.

I think the apocalypse is upon us.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
I despise Pit as much as the next guy, but but a pit main's allowed to throw in his opinion isn't he?
He has as much voice as anyone else.
not to mention.
voicing an opinion about ike in the pit forum would be a little misplaced wouldn't it?
He better state a reasonable opinion then.

noodles

Smash Champion
Your lack of intelligence speaks volumes about how relevant and accurate your post is.

Have a nice day. I wish I had a ban stick.

EDIT: Just wanted to say it's hilarious that a Pit player is calling Ike overpowered.

I think the apocalypse is upon us.
lol pits not good. sure there's arrow spamming but that about it >_>. his recovery is easily gimped.

SquallLion90

Smash Rookie
Ike really is only a pain in multibrawls where his smashes can potentially kill EVERYONE at low percents. In 1vs1, if you watch him carefully, he almost always has some sort of start-up lag for every move, allowing you to spotdodge if you do it right.

He rocks in multibrawls, but can be danced around in a 1vs1, especially by Pit.
That's also what I think. His moves are predictable and slow, so if you watch him you'll be able to dodge pretty much everything he does. I do feel he is definitely overrated, simply because most people I see playing as him don't know how to play as anyone else and just like Ike because of his strength, potentially lame and abusable move set, and easy "pick-up and play" style.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Ike is barely slow if used correctly. The only problems I have is that he can get hit out of his shield easily because of how big he is and getting R.O.B gimped. R.O.B gimping reminds me of SSB matches.

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
I gotta admit, I don't pay attention.

That's probably why I'm always getting killed by Ike, but I'm slowly getting better.

By the way, I play team battles with anyone on wifi 99% of the time.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Ike is very overpowered. Even if you swing and whiff, you can just execute another attack. He's strong enough that his hits all cause good chainable knockback and aren't laggy enough to make him have to do anything other than attack again. He's too good to possibly be anything but overpowered.

Then you discover shielding and dodging.

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
Ike is very overpowered. Even if you swing and whiff, you can just execute another attack. He's strong enough that his hits all cause good chainable knockback and aren't laggy enough to make him have to do anything other than attack again. He's too good to possibly be anything but overpowered.

Then you discover shielding and dodging.
I was about to call you insane.

Then I read that last sentence.

Phillyfanboy

Smash Apprentice
Now he is an idiot...when this thread was started people agree with him...funny how a fews months changes people ops. Goes to show that judging things on impulse is not always a good idea.

IKE, not quite as overpowered now....or overrated if you are up to date...

Purenchisu

Smash Cadet
lol ike isnt overpowered me he has ALOT of flaws.their are lots of ways 2 get around his massive sword .and plus his recovery sucks

Messiano

Smash Journeyman
no dude, how about this, Get somebody like.....hmm...Mario to do his Fsmash, then get Ike to do his Fsmash, Almost all of Ikes attacks have VERY good Knockback! But seriously, so many people use Ike...
Then Mario Fludds and calls it a day, Your point?
Overpowered only if your sleeping. his swings are long and slow (for the most part B-air is amazing and u-tilt) if you can space and play smart your fine...WAKE UP PEOPLE!

doctortommy

Smash Cadet
I use him on a rare occasion while having a fun match with my little sister. His nair seems pretty beastly. It has good range, knockback and damage.

And you can't say he is overrated if you never played him..

Kaze127

Smash Rookie
ike will not be high tier.. sorry. tiers are pretty much based on speed. but other than that he is a noob character. what i mean by that is that even a noob at smash can get kills with him. i dont mean in anyway that your a noob if you play him. in a time battle, all based upon your K/D, ike will have a good advantage due to his incredible kill stealing. But in a 1v1 match, hes not very good...

PitMasta

Smash Journeyman
ike will not be high tier.. sorry. tiers are pretty much based on speed. but other than that he is a noob character. what i mean by that is that even a noob at smash can get kills with him. i dont mean in anyway that your a noob if you play him. in a time battle, all based upon your K/D, ike will have a good advantage due to his incredible kill stealing. But in a 1v1 match, hes not very good...
AMEN TO THAT!

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Hai nubs, Falcon here.

If you're a nub who barely knows **** about a character, please stfu.

As an Ike main, I'm hoping he gets high tier, but mid tier is more appropriate.

And how do I know you guys are nubs? You main Pit and Ike. Unless you go to tourney's and main Ike, you suck. No one cares how well Ike does at your house.

Now please, let this topic die and get out of the Ike boards.

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
why would you quote a 4 day post just let this die already there where like 5 threads saying the same thing before this we all know ike isnt great
"pitmasta" was the OP and he feels important if his thread has more replies. He also has no idea what he is talking about, says amen to some n00b talking about tiers while neither of them even know how a tier list is made. And his username is really stupid.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
"pitmasta" was the OP and he feels important if his thread has more replies. He also has no idea what he is talking about, says amen to some n00b talking about tiers while neither of them even know how a tier list is made. And his username is really stupid.
^This
You cant be a pitmasta if there is already one out there. Named Inui.

Lord Aether

Smash Apprentice
Then Mario Fludds and calls it a day, Your point?
Overpowered only if your sleeping. his swings are long and slow (for the most part B-air is amazing and u-tilt) if you can space and play smart your fine...WAKE UP PEOPLE!
Brilliant idea, we can sneak sleeping pills to our opponents before the fight.

PitMasta

Smash Journeyman
:laugh: you don't even know me! don't call sombody a n00b who you haven't even played against =P

plus, i played with ike, and i now count him as a secondary team character, so let this tread die! :)

and one more thing....i like my username =) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
High Tier? Probably not. Mid Tier is my guess.

Ike's really only overrated by the Smash newcomers (see what I did there?). But he's kind of underrated by everyone else. Playing Ike more defensively takes advantage of how good of a punisher he is.

Top Bottom