• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike VS Anyone fast :(

Kirbyrulz

Smash Rookie
Hi there. I haven't posted in any section besides the meet and greet one before (but for some reason it still says 0 posts?)

Anywho. When I did sign up to this site I was playing as Kirby. I got quite bored of playing with him so I went out and found that Ike was pretty good. I was beating most characters fine until I faced Sonic.

He ran rings around me. Ike is really slow to execute attacks and I just can't do well against the faster characters. I know not every character is perfect but I just need soemthing to help me. I'v ebeen trying to counter but I never time it right and Sonic just sits there with that really annoying neutral B attack and it's so hard to get out of it. I also tried shielding and rolling etc but it's getting me nowhere.

I know you guys are probably experts with Ike so please help me beat the faster characters! :)
(don't suggest playing as Marth)

Thank you :)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Post count doesn't get counted there.

LOL at the irony of this.

You can go play Meta Knight instead.

This is hard though, neither character board has gone over either one, so...

Let's see now. I would suggest stop trying to use Ike's slow attacks so much, go for the faster ones like Jab/Bair/Fair/Nair. Fair covers a lot of range and Nair covers Ike everywhere and auto-cancels.

I'll stop there.

:034:

Smash Hero
Go for faster attacks, like your jab, a short hopped nair or a spaced fair. Or, if the Sonic does an aerial approach, shieldgrab him. Try to predict what Sonic will do and counter him with a safe move (like the ones mentioned above).

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
I fight Sonic's alot with my Ike.

Don't just throw out moves that they can punish. Quick draw clanks with their spin dash/charge = free jab. Use Nairs and stuff, and be aware of gimp attempts. Hold A when you see him spinning towards you I think.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Because there are few Sonic mains whose game doesn't revolve around SpinDash 95% of the time... Can't argue your points though.

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
Patience is definitely the key here. I do believe Sonic has the advantage when you break it down to numbers, but not by much.

You should try "camping" him. The application of retreating Fairs, Nair, and Jabs should make quite a nice wall between you guys. And if Sonic gets smart and tries to get behind you, Bair finishes the job.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Use lots and lots of jabs. :p

In truly competitive environments, fighting fast opponents is essentially a death march for Ike, but you'd also be surprised what your opponent will run into if you throw in sliding up-smashes randomly. ^_^;;

Player-3

Smash Hero
inb4 captain falcon

what everyone else said, fast attacks and dont roll too much.
otherwise youll get predictable

Axel.EmO

Smash Cadet
inb4 captain falcon

what everyone else said, fast attacks and dont roll too much.
otherwise youll get predictable
While Ike is INCREDIBLY slow he has way more power than Cpt Falcon... You know unless you press B XD

Ike is my favourite and his special move owns everything
It doesn't matter about speed in the end
As long as you got some skill you'll be fine ;)

Axel.EmO

Smash Cadet
Hold down A. They might actually run into it, **** from there.
Rofl
Amen
I didn't know you could do that till later on in the game XD
I always hit A anyway just in case
Holding A will only work if they run into it and you continue to hit
Tapping A 3 times will still do the combo even though your attack may miss but the length of your sword my hit the enemy anyway :D
Woooop
IKE FTW

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Use lots and lots of jabs. :p

In truly competitive environments, fighting fast opponents is essentially a death march for Ike, but you'd also be surprised what your opponent will run into if you throw in sliding up-smashes randomly. ^_^;;
Too true.

I can't count the number of times a sliding usmash has done the trick. :laugh:

It's even funnier when people think they're safe if they get behind Ike (usually after they get tired of f-airs & jabs).... and still get a sword-smack to the face.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
Lock Sonic with jabs... Mix-up into power attacks at some points (Jab Cancel into Forward Smash, my personal favorite)... Some people have too much of a speedy mindset, slowing down your tempo actually gives you a victory...

Other than that...
- Up Smash > Sonic's Neutral B
- Quick Draw > Sonic's Down B
- Counter > Everything (Don't be afraid to use it at them random cases...)

Top Bottom