• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike VS Marth

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
Who do you think has the higher chances of winning

I would say Marth mainly cuz of speed but Ike has POWAR and i seen him pull off big comebacks in some videos.

so who do has more of a chance of winning Vs each other.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Ike, obviously. XD

You came to the wrong forum to ask this question, going to either the Ike or Marth forums was a bad idea. >_>

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I like them both and they both have a lot going for them. Just for the sake of my survival, I'll say Ike. :)

Fumetsu

Smash Rookie
ive seen lots of youtube vids and so far the odds tip to Ike...hes slow but the kicker is his power can be controlled and utilized effectively against fast characters (unlike former beliefs)

so in a slightly biased way (only cause i find Ike to be more of a badass) im gonna go with Ike

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
To be honest, it's really not clear to me. They both have specific advantages and disadvantages. Ike wins in range and power, so if he's really good at spacing, he probably wins. Marth however wins in speed and comboability, so the more pressure he puts on Ike, generally the better for him.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
To be honest, it's really not clear to me. They both have specific advantages and disadvantages. Ike wins in range and power, so if he's really good at spacing, he probably wins. Marth however wins in speed and comboability, so the more pressure he puts on Ike, generally the better for him.
^^Said it perfectly.
It isn't the characters that win, merely the people who ultilize the characters skills, I am a Avid Ike fan, but an unbiased answer, I belive Marth would win.

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
why did you post this here?
Well i thought most people would say marth by default so i wanted to blance it out.

Anyway in the long run i will go marth,since right i think alot marth player are still trying to play marth like he was i melee(dair is a sucky spike Now and Ub is a now a spamable KO Move).

True Fool

Smash Ace
I'm not too sure. It's definitely not as bad as Marth vs Roy though, and that's all I ever asked.

Marthikeroy

Smash Cadet
Since Marth is light, it's easier and faster for Ike to KO him because his attacks are so strong. It takes longer for Marth to KO Ike because he is more of a heavyweight, unless you get the tipper.

I'd have to say Ike.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
In my honest opinion, I believe it would be aimed toward Marth, but this is very hard to say. They can both punish the other quite nicely it seems.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
All Ike fans are like Roy fans. They wont use any statistical fact in their arguments.

Trust me, Marth will be beter.

@Fizz....The...hell? Ike doesn't punish Marth in ANY way. Ike's extreme slowness will leave him punished by Marth! Where are you geting the idea that Ike has some way of punishing a character with very little lag, and very good speed?

pyroroth

Smash Journeyman
All Ike fans are like Roy fans. They wont use any statistical fact in their arguments.

@Fizz....The...hell? Ike doesn't punish Marth in ANY way. Ike's extreme slowness will leave him punished by Marth! Where are you geting the idea that Ike has some way of punishing a character with very little lag, and very good speed?
Ike has a longer reach, and not all his moves have pre/post lag.

Blazer

Smash Ace
Marth. He's faster, and able to land hits in before Ike can attack in general. Although, on a smaller stage it appears Ike should dominate Marth.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace

I didn't say Ike couldn't be punished. Yes, Ike doesn't have that much on Marth, but that doesn't mean **** when it comes to being punished. It can happen from any character. Marth trumps Ike in a numerous amount of ways but I firmly believe Ike's jab will be a big help in getting **** done to Marth.

Edit: I never was a Roy fan, either. I main Marth in Melee, and honestly, I see Marth more than likely dominating Ike but alas, that does not mean one character cannot go unpunished by another. It's the lag, yes, that will hamper Ike being able to punish as much, but I think Ike will have a relatively good game for punishing rolls, techs, side steps etc. *shrugs* I've only played it for one day but these are just my opinions.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I say Marth because all of his attacks are faster than Ike's and Marth can actually combo. There's also Marth's buffed counter to boot. Ike doesn't do as badly as Roy does against Marth because he has more range and power, though he is slower and has more lag in his attacks.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Time will tell I guess. I'd hate to say it, but it seems like Marth is already a fair contender for best overall character, so it seems like he would win.

It's a WAYYY better matchup than the fail-fest that was Marth v. Roy.

Chro

Smash Apprentice
I think Marth is better, because his attacks don't lag to all hell, but since the only Marth I'll be playing is my brother... Ike.

But really people seem to think that Marth is still broken, so I guess he'd win.

PS- I f'ing HATE Roy. gg.

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
I like both Ike and Marth so I'll give you an unbiased answer. It all depends on the player, but Ike has the advantage.

Marth's range is not as good as it was in Melee. It's a bit shorter. Ike's on the other hand is much, much larger. Since Marth has no projectiles, he has no choice but to approach Ike to deal damage ( never a good idea ^^ ). Marth can combo very well, but he has to make sure he doesn't get hit by Ike, which is very hard in close range. The Marth player must play very smart and safe or else Ike will kill him at very low percents.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
On even grounds, it's really tough to say...
Not really. Ike is not similar to Marth like Roy. Ike is slow. Ike is predictable...keep in mind he's my main.

Marth is guranteed usable. Good strength, air attacks, much faster.
Have you seen Ike's ground game? It's horrid. He's like Ganon. Strong, but only does well in the air.

In terms of a match up, go Ike, but in overall rank, Marth.

@Kouryuu...most characters easily approach him. Ask Inui.

Please note I'm not biased, because I love Ike! He's gonna be a character only very skilled players will use. Or total haxxorz.

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
Not really. Ike is not similar to Marth like Roy. Ike is slow. Ike is predictable...keep in mind he's my main.

Marth is guranteed usable. Good strength, air attacks, much faster.
Have you seen Ike's ground game? It's horrid. He's like Ganon. Strong, but only does well in the air.

In terms of a match up, go Ike, but in overall rank, Marth.

@Kouryuu...most characters easily approach him. Ask Inui.

Please note I'm not biased, because I love Ike! He's gonna be a character only very skilled players will use. Or total haxxorz.
Um... I don't think I can agree. I mean, Marth is overall the better character but Ike is not as bad as you make him out to be. Predictable? Not really, at least not in the hands of a smart player (but that goes for any character).

His ground game is not that bad. His tilts are great. They cover great range and they are not too slow. His aerial game is mediocre except for his Bair which is strong and fast. His Usmash covers a huge arc and should be used after spacing away from opponent as a defensive tactic. It's charge up animation is very decieving and it takes people by surprise.

He also has super armor frames so some moves (such as his Up-B) can be used as combo follow ups without worrying about trading hits and so on. Using Up-B after Utilt is great and almost unavoidable.

His overB is quick and should be used to approach campers and his neural A combo is strong, quick and used to knock any character away when being pressured.

*phew* That was a lot ^^
I could say more but I think you get the point.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Marth would generally be the bigger favorite in the fight except for a few minor tricks in Ike's favor.

1. Ike's movement range moves (Quick Draw, Aether, Jabcombo) and his D-Tilt. Ike has 3 moves that will fill the gap when Marth attempts to approach. His Jabs are fast enough to work as a spacer if Marth gets in close enough, and Jab canceling is made for Ike. Using this Marth will have to work hard on approaching without getting a faceful of Ragnell.

2. Good ol' brute force and Ike's shocking 'not sucking at recovery as much as Marth'. Marth is really light, Ike is fairly heavy. Marth hits Ike, it'll hurt. Ike hits Marth AWAY HE GOES. Tag in that Marth's recovery has been recently and certain stages his Dolphin will put him UNDER the ledge and not next to it, Marth has troubles being sent off the sides faster.

3. Super Armor Frames. Ike has these in one specific move that if timed properly will lead to HEAVY punishment on Marth every time: Eruption. Eruption, while not physically ranged enough, does have this major obnoxious aspect of SAFing. Marth's tipper will still put him in Eruption range, and the Tipper won't of sent Ike anywhere.

4. Variety of Range. This is the big one when it comes to Marth's obnoxious tipper. Ragnell has a uniform power level at all points of the blade, and its set to KILL at each of these spots. Marth needs Ike to be in a much smaller area than Ike needs Marth. This leads to Ike being able to just rush, keep spaced, or do whatever he likes so long as he isn't exactly in the tipper's range.

Now, this isn't to say Ike has a cakewalk, its just that the fight isn't totally one sided to Marth like how a lot of match-ups are totally one sided to Marth. They are both high level characters when it comes to making opponents bleed, fly, and die.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Um... I don't think I can agree. I mean, Marth is overall the better character but Ike is not as bad as you make him out to be. Predictable? Not really, at least not in the hands of a smart player (but that goes for any character).

His ground game is not that bad. His tilts are great. They cover great range and they are not too slow. His aerial game is mediocre except for his Bair which is strong and fast. His Usmash covers a huge arc and should be used after spacing away from opponent as a defensive tactic. It's charge up animation is very decieving and it takes people by surprise.

He also has super armor frames so some moves (such as his Up-B) can be used as combo follow ups without worrying about trading hits and so on. Using Up-B after Utilt is great and almost unavoidable.

His overB is quick and should be used to approach campers and his neural A combo is strong, quick and used to knock any character away when being pressured.

*phew* That was a lot ^^
I could say more but I think you get the point.
I don't want Ike to be bad. But I guarantee most people on this board will never become anything more than a scrub with him. And you think I would go around telling people Ike isn't high tier with out that info? I know how Ike plays, I've heard from veeeerrry good players about Ike plays, and it's not very positive.

And don't argue with me unless you've seen a competitive Pit knock him around like a little girl. It made me want to cry.

And pleases, please note I said Marth would win, but all around Marth is better...(But not cooler.)

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
u guys are all dumb. marth is better. marth is going to be yet again one of the best characters in this game, but... if used properly ike can win against him. its not just about what the characters have because if it was marth wins for sure, its more about who can use the characters properly.

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
I don't want Ike to be bad. But I guarantee most people on this board will never become anything more than a scrub with him. And you think I would go around telling people Ike isn't high tier with out that info? I know how Ike plays, I've heard from veeeerrry good players about Ike plays, and it's not very positive.

And don't argue with me unless you've seen a competitive Pit knock him around like a little girl. It made me want to cry.

And pleases, please note I said Marth would win, but all around Marth is better...(But not cooler.)
LOL at the "little girl" part.

But seriously, I play the import version that my friend has practically every other day. They even host minor tourneys around where I live with only the import games.

I wouldn't say the things I said if Ike wasn't a good character. Many people believe he has great potential (including Gimpyfish). He has definitely been toned up from the demo. Well, I could say more but I suppose the best thing is to wait and see exactly how the metagame changes after a few months and how Ike can compete in competitive play (however, I'm pretty sure things are looking up for Ike).

smash_dave

Smash Rookie
I like both very much, but unfortunately I am going to have to say Marth. Ike is freaken good though.

e105beta

Smash Journeyman
I like both very much, but unfortunately I am going to have to say Marth. Ike is freaken good though.
Why is it always a BAD thing that Marth is good? I LUVZ Marth. He is an awesome character. I like him and Ike exactly the same. They both excel in completely different categories. I personally just think Ike is the better of the 2. People be hung up on melee/speed and discredit any slow characters with lag or startup. It's ignorant.

I agree. I will not be one of them though. That comment is kind of like going to a slum and saying, "Only one of you will become president!" There are a lot of people on this board, and I bet the few that have the potential will give up in favor of faster characters though...>.<

One match...Mrow?

To each his own...Marth is easier though. Speed always is.

u guys are all dumb. marth is better. marth is going to be yet again one of the best characters in this game, but... if used properly ike can win against him. its not just about what the characters have because if it was marth wins for sure, its more about who can use the characters properly.
That last part almost sounded intelligent, but the first part turned me off. Evidence is always good too.

LOL at the "little girl" part.

But seriously, I play the import version that my friend has practically every other day. They even host minor tourneys around where I live with only the import games.

I wouldn't say the things I said if Ike wasn't a good character. Many people believe he has great potential (including Gimpyfish). He has definitely been toned up from the demo. Well, I could say more but I suppose the best thing is to wait and see exactly how the metagame changes after a few months and how Ike can compete in competitive play (however, I'm pretty sure things are looking up for Ike).
I am jealous at you. I want to play.

Gimpyfish would know about potential. He can own with Bowser, a feat I never thought possible. Yes, is best just to wait, but this is how I pass time, by debating on characters.
Ike is looking good.

Top Bottom