• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's grab game?

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
ive been meanig to ask this for months now and i just remembered to post this lol

ok so how does one use ikes grabs . i generally dtrow and if they dont DI i aether or an aerial.

so what more can i do?

does he have a good grab game at all?

Aether_Lord

Smash Apprentice
yeah Fthrow mind games are good and if you Dthrow when they are at high % people have a tendancy to dodge while trying to get back on the ground so time your Uair right and youll hit them works well with platforms cuz you can fast fall on a platform if you miss. But this moves works for me idk if it works for you or anyone else but why not give it a try :)

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Down throw is the "DI Test", you do it once to see if they DI and if they do you go into front throw games (down throw stops being useful at mid-high %'s anyway). I back throw a lot too but there's really no point to it since it's the same thing just in a different direction.

KHSteve

Smash Rookie
Echoing what others are saying, forward throw can be pretty useful. Back throw isn't that great in my opinion unless you're going for a spike or something and chucking them just off the edge to set this up, but that's very situational and very hard to use more than once since people soon see it coming.

It probably pays to know that Ike's down throw is the most powerful in terms of knockback (I think) and kills some characters at ≈200%. Obviously this is not exactly great and Ike should be KOing at far lower damages, but I suppose if you were having a really hard time...

-Slash-

Smash Cadet
I never use ike's grab. When ever I see a chance to grab, I always find it more useful to jab instead.

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
Lately I've actually been using the release grab thing a lot. This is just spamming your grab attack until you let go off your opponent. There are a lot of usable follow ups. I mostly go for AAA. However, fair works pretty well, mostly if they either roll away, or even if they sidestep (wait for it). If they roll towards you, you can always downsmash. Nair works good in any situation if you time it well and I've even managed to get some ftilts in, though rarely. Anyway, letting go off an opponent mostly leaves you with less lag than them so plenty of time to be creative.

Besides that, fthrow is the way to go.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Lately I've actually been using the release grab thing a lot. This is just spamming your grab attack until you let go off your opponent. There are a lot of usable follow ups. I mostly go for AAA. However, fair works pretty well, mostly if they either roll away, or even if they sidestep (wait for it). If they roll towards you, you can always downsmash. Nair works good in any situation if you time it well and I've even managed to get some ftilts in, though rarely. Anyway, letting go off an opponent mostly leaves you with less lag than them so plenty of time to be creative.

Besides that, fthrow is the way to go.
^This

A few characters actually benefit from this. Forget which ones at the moment, but pretty much anyone with a jab like Ike's or Snakes. They just hurt the opponent then let go and hurt them some moar.

Ike is forced to shield a lot, so his shield grab is useful if a fast character wont get the **** off and you cant jab them.

Aether_Lord

Smash Apprentice
You can really use jab canceling for part of your grab games mix it up with grabs at times when they expect you to keep following up on a jab cancel to another jab cancel and yeah like empy said forward throw can add more mindgames to your after throw action and KH Bthrow suggestion might come in handy if you do it right sometimes but you might want to keep in mind the options after the back throw. Ike is mostly forced a lot to dodge and shield that i can really agree so grab is really something ike really needs for those persistant people who wont get offa you

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
I posted this in another thread in this section, but the dash cancelled pivot grab *sliding version* is a little something I like to do when I'm facing the edge with my opponent between. You can slide quite far with the character, and this enables you to take your game to the edge with ease. :)

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
thans guys havent been able to cheack this thread due to me trying to beat fire emblem for the wii and managing a tournament in the artwork emporium, its eating away at my time lol so yea again thanks

Aether_Lord

Smash Apprentice
off topic but... um do you know how to get any types of stats you want with your characters if you dont just ask <_< oh we should have a match Doom since i do see you post things just want to have a match with ya my code is 4081-5186-9462 i'm not good but eh and sorry for getting off topic

XACE-K

Smash Master
The best way to incorporate a grab is when doing Ike's jab cancel. Use the u-throw or d-throw to test how good your opponent is at DI-ing. If they're bad at it than follow up with an aerial (aether after grab seems like a noob thing to me). Use f or b throw for mindgames when the opponent is expecting a u or d throw.

Also if you're playing on a stage with a wall (Corneria for example) Ike has a chaingrab with his f-throw against the wall. It's best to b-throw your opponent into the wall because f-throw seems to obvious.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
u-throw is one of ikes worst throws.... it has alot of lag,
d-throw is superior to it...i belive that it even has more nockback/damage...
i tend to b-throw to toss someone of the edge and up-b gimp...
howmuch damage does each do...
i know the pummel does 3, its decent, @ high damage you can hold ppl longer, so it can do 12+ pummel damage!

-Final-

Aria♪
The only thing I find usefull with Ike's grabbing is doing down-throws followed by a U-air. Even if they air-dodge it, they have no time to attack you immediately afterwards.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
again thanks im gonna see if i can record tomorrow and show you all what i can do, hopefully i impress you

Nick Nasty

Smash Journeyman
At early percentages I like to use dthrow to set up for an attack. If you can read the airdogde, you should be able to punish with uair or upsmash. You could also just do an empty shorthop and see where they land since your opponent will be vulnerable to like a frame or two, giving you the ability to punish with a well timed dash attack.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
I like Uthrow simply because it puts them in the air and I'm good at ramming Ike's sword up people's a**es from below. Backthrow is useful if when I'm in the mood to chase but I think the grab-release-jab combos and Dthrow follow-ups are Ike's best bet.

Top Bottom