• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm Absolute Trash Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Man Nintendo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SilentMage
Switch FC
6429-6879-3474
I'm not sure what it is. I have a really strong internet connection (not the wired connection to the Switch, however - it's all Wifi), and though I can't help but feel there is some minute lag between button presses and what happens on-screen, it seems smooth enough. I definitely don't play Smash enough these days, at least that's the impression I get whenever I'm paired with folks in 1v1. Nintendo doesn't seemingly pair people based on their skills in a way that makes sense (at least to me).

I do like you can earn a ton more gold playing online (win or lose) vs fighting AI. That's been a sort of motivator: collecting the gold to keep buying Spirit cards and stuff like that.

But anyway, not sure how else to approach this other than to "git gud" as they say.

~Old Man Nintendo

yknowlikenia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5495 6606 4304
I'm not sure what it is. I have a really strong internet connection (not the wired connection to the Switch, however - it's all Wifi), and though I can't help but feel there is some minute lag between button presses and what happens on-screen, it seems smooth enough. I definitely don't play Smash enough these days, at least that's the impression I get whenever I'm paired with folks in 1v1. Nintendo doesn't seemingly pair people based on their skills in a way that makes sense (at least to me).

I do like you can earn a ton more gold playing online (win or lose) vs fighting AI. That's been a sort of motivator: collecting the gold to keep buying Spirit cards and stuff like that.

But anyway, not sure how else to approach this other than to "git gud" as they say.

~Old Man Nintendo
There are a lot of things about online play that can affect your play, but you're right about the slight input lag. There's roughly 6(?) or so frames of delay for online inputs, which seems minute but makes most of the online scene a much different world. Characters like King K. Rool can get away with much, much cheesier strategies because their opponents have slightly less time to react. This effectively makes a lot of top tiers worse because their movement a touch slower, and benefits the lower tiers.

Even despite that, though, playing online just throws your gamesense off above all. It took me a good few weeks of practice online to be able to play both on and offline, and even so I find myself dying to things I feel like I could react to normally (or I could honestly be lying to myself to make me feel better). This is a bit of a wild suggestion, but if you play a more fast-paced rushdown character, you could consider playing a more mid-tier character to take advantage of online's faults. It is definitely not a perfect system, and there are a lot of things to complain about.

Old Man Nintendo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SilentMage
Switch FC
6429-6879-3474
Thanks for the suggestion regarding the types of characters to consider playing with while online, at least for starters. I can say with confidence today that I don't have a main in Ultimate at the moment (I'd place myself in the "somewhat proficient with most, master of none" boat).

I'll see what the latest "mid-tier" list of characters are today and focus on them, with a focus on faster-paced characters, and come back with my results!

Cheers,

~Old Man Nintendo

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Old Man Nintendo Old Man Nintendo
Your post seems tacit -- I feel like I have to read into the header of your post more than than the body's contents in order to understand what you are getting at. "I'm Absolute Trash Online" is an interesting draw, but the message that follows meanders away from the initial thought. I'm stuck having to work off presumptions based on my understanding of the intent behind the message, and so that is what I will do until corrected.

Primarily, the intent seems to be seeking advice in understanding - for lack of a better term - the online meta. I presume that most of your skills in Smash come from offline play and probably from a different Smash game, if not a completely different fighting game altogether. I would assume the former over the latter. If this is the case, then your main prerogative would be to understand the main elements of online play, contrast them to what you know of offline play, and then modify your current choices and techniques in order to increase your chances at victory.

The advice that yknolikenia gives in regards to characters playing differently within the online arena is something to take into consideration. For someone who seems more or less unfamiliar with online as opposed to local play, I'd actually say not to take into account input delay and such. Instead, play a variety of different characters to get a feel for what works best for you. Mostly it's to find a fighter(s) that you are comfortable using online, but it also serves as a way familiarize yourself with online play while focusing on something other than latency. The main thing to learn here is that the more you play online the better you get at playing online. The more you learn a character online, the better you understand the intricacies of online play itself.

One important thing to know, however, is that the Nintendo Switch Online has notoriously poor service. Most people point to netcode (how the game inherently works with online connections), and many words have been written on that subject -- I will let you research for yourself if you ever find the desire to do so. This means you shouldn't ever get too hung up over how you play, playing well or playing poorly, because both could be products of netcode/latency over genuine skill. Because of latency, online play is never a fair game. The game will interpret how it thinks the game is being played and then will adjust things accordingly. This could take effect as connection 'stuttering', dropped inputs, misinterpreted inputs, teleportation, speed-up/slow-down timing, or a connection that gets dropped altogether.

I'd honestly suggest getting a wired connection because, in a perfect world, we'd all have wired connections. But the truth is that a great number of people out there are unwilling or unable to get a wired connection (read: johns) and some won't even make sure to at least play with a strong wireless connection (full signal). This means that there's a good chance that any given game will come with connection issues and even the games that run smoothly will still have latency problems. Just keep in mind that if you are enjoying a "lag free game", chances are that it's because you're currently hosting and that means your opponent is probably shouldering the ping distance. Its a good exercise in humility to acknowledge that the opponent is playing their current best at all times rather than judging someone as "bad" (because they're likely just having a bad internet day).

Most of what I've said has actually come from years of playing Splatoon 2 (which is basically only played online multi-player), not SSBU, but I'm pretty confident that it applies equally well. Sadly most of my advice just boils down to "play more" and "get a wired connection", but that's effectively how you play online... although... if you are finding great difficulty in your online success you could maybe consider troubleshooting your network connection. I know it's generally a taboo thing to say this among the WiFi warriors, but the truth is that some people just have better internet than others.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

~Old Man Nintendo
Something that you can check out is whether your tv has a game mode or not. I know this may seem obvious but when my TCL rebooted after a firmware update the game mode toggle was set to off. It took me days of searching the internet for reasons why the input delay was so pronounced when it had been fine before I realized that it was this TV setting. And sure enough as soon as I turned game mode back on, I was able to play with much less latency.

As for matchmaking well quickplay is very unforgiving. Your GSP will guide your journey but it's far from etched in stone who you'll face. Above all quickplay tends to favor getting you into a match asap. Things like relative GSP, preferred rules etc. tend to get ignored unless your regional user base has enough players online to satisfy the game's need to find a match. One thing you can try is background matchmaking which allows the game to take more time finding the ideal opponent (similar GSP and rules) but this isn't an exact science and you'll still get matched with dismally campy players, gsp hoarders whose rulesets are engineered to win gsp (1 stock all items all stages short time limit etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom