• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Im failing to understand something...

ThePrime

Smash Lord
So even if i do get a capture card, if i have to directly plug in the 3 prongs in to the card from the gc, and 90% of cards are laggy if they play directly, then what other way is there? That means that if i invite friends over to play, we have to play off the computer screen? Is there a way to play off of the tv (really crazy idea huh?) and record whats shown on the tv to the capture card? Ive tried my dvd recorder, but im not sure i have the all the connections in the right spot. It doesnt recognize that my gc is plugged into AV1 or w/e.

Elen

Smash Lord
Well, what I do is first record using a VCR. Then later I just plug the VCR into my capture card and re-record what I want on the comp. I can't think of any other ways to do it besides this and directly recording on a comp.. Hope this helps though.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
ok i might do that, but will the vcr record on the right channel/input? i think that was my problem with the dvd recorder.So, I would have the gc connected to AV1, and i guess ill have the vcr connected to AV3, and if i hit record, it will record what is shown on AV1 screen? (the game). And, what capture card do you use? ive heard of dazzle 80 or something, but im just curious.

Elen

Smash Lord
Well actually, to record a GC with a VCR you plug the GC into the inputs on your VCR. Then plug the outputs on the VCR into AV1. After thats all set just turn it to AV1, turn on the GC and the VCR and just keep fooling around with the VCR till you get something to show up (you have to change some input options on the vcr). That should work, afterwards you obviously just press record lol. Tell me how it goes.

As for a capture card, dazzle is probably better than what I have. I'm using an old Gamebridge made by Adaptec. It records fine and the gameplay isn't laggy, but you need a really nice comp to run it. (otherwise the audio becomes laggy or you just can't use it.) I'd check out dazzle if I was looking for a new card.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
ok cool thx, ill just steal a vcr from a friend then. A requirement for seniors in highschool is to make this senior project. i decided to make a video explaining all the advanced techniques in this game (i know its been done, but i want to explain it my way) trying to go in depth on all the characters, so thats why its crucial i get all this hardware stuff sorted out.

Now, the only tricky part is trying to get an external capture card with usb...ive heard mixed reviews about the dazzle :(

Elen

Smash Lord
I'll do a little research on the external capture cards for you, see if anything good shows up. Sounds like a fun project..I'll watch it just to see how all this turned out ^.^

Did a bit of searching, this card looks pretty good. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815116627

It's called WinTv, looks like a pretty nice capture card, although I don't have any personal experience with it. A little more expensive than dazzle however. Besides this, the only really big names in external capture are Dazzle and Adaptec.

You should probably look at all three, heres a link to the gamebridge (the one I use) http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/_eol/gaming/gaming_pc/AVC-1410/index.htm
(looks like this has been discontinued :p oh well)

And heres a link to Dazzle 80 if you didn't have it already
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/publicsi...ome+Video/Dazzle/Digital+Video+Creator+80.htm

So, take a look at those if you get the chance and tell me what you think. []Deace ^.^

Elen

Smash Lord
No problem ^^ If you need any more help feel free to ask :D

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I use an AdsTech Video Xpress. Here . It works well for me, essentially it's just an AV (or S-Video) to usb adapter. External of course. Quality is good too, you can find my videos in the 1v1's section.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
Alright, as for an update, i got the vcr to work and everything so far works fine. I have some matches recorded with a friend on tape (interesting to watch yourself play :D). All i need is the capture card, and i might just host a game as a test so you guys can critique. Im looking forward to this senior project, and when its all done, ill host it (probably in parts) on youtube or something.

[edit] : I checked out that Video Xpress altf4, and it looks really nice and its at a good price. How long did it take for you to get it, cuz im slightly on a time restraint

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh, I bought it at a Fry's Electronics actually. I just gave you that link so you could see what it was/how much it costs. But I've also seen them at CompUsa too.

Top Bottom