• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Im gonna main mario!

Super Wec

Smash Cadet
Ok, im putting my heart and soul into maining mario. Im gonna show all the haters that hes a good character and everything. Im gonna try my best not to give up on him, and now the only problem is that i suck with him! :( I cant find any mario guides around here also. So can any of you guys gimmie some tips of how to pwn with mario?

Thanks for readin

Aran

Smash Apprentice
Use cape, don't ignore fludd, your nair and upb have incredible priority, use short hopped fireballs to approach, and your uair is a great combo filler.

Ranjiz

Smash Apprentice
yeah and also as for the killer moves, use all kind of smashes like up smash, down smash f smash can kill character at 100% or above. be impedictable and tricky though mario is hard to learn with. dodge as much as u can and dodge in the air then use smash or down air. and there are many characters that are hard to beat with mario for instance rob, or snake make sure u get use to those characters.

???????

Smash Journeyman
To start you off you need to learn the stutter step to give you better range with your Fsmash; the simplest way to stutter step is use the C-stick to smash the opposite direction you're facing and you should have a lot better range.

???????

Smash Journeyman
As many have already said, the fireballs are best short hopped and used to follow up with attacks such as fireball to a short hopped Dair or a Dsmash. Fireballs are also useful for disrupting your opponent's attacks such as stopping smash attacks, specials, or aerials (You can use fireballs when recovering from up high to stop your opponent from edgeguarding you with aerials). Fireballs are a main part of Mario's approach but make sure your opponent gets hit before you follow up with an attack.

*You can spam fireballs a bit like you could spam Dr. Mario's pills in Melee (The pills are still better though...)*

???????

Smash Journeyman
The F.L.U.D.D. is a very good tool both for edgeguarding and spacing. Most commonly used for edgeguarding is the Superman combo which is simply F.L.U.D.D. to cape (Push your opponent away from the ledge with the F.L.U.D.D. and then push them even further with the cape; this can be done multiple times consecutively); time the F.L.U.D.D. and try to use it to stop the momentum of their second jump, use it when they're put into helpless from their final recovery move, or position them for an attack. The F.L.U.D.D. is also good for spacing and diverting attacks such as smash attacks or aerials (You can use the F.L.U.D.D. to divert your opponent’s aerials when you're being edgeguarded and push your opponent away from the ledge). The F.L.U.D.D. is very good because it can't reflected (For the exception of Mario's cape), it can't truly be blocked, and other reflectors simply negate the pushback temporarily.

*Try to use F.L.U.D.D. at a bit of a range since its startup is a little slow*

*Remember to aim for the tip of the head for maximum pushback*

acojan

Smash Apprentice
also, mario's dair is good for racking up damage and has decent knockback on the last hit.
it may be hard to get used to and to DI it so all the hits connects but its great fun and a good move.. it also has some invincibility frames somewhere.

hyphen smashing mario's usmash is also a good idea for vertical KOs

remember to also fox trot as mario has a great fox trot and is a bit faster than dashing and gives better maneuverability

last but not the least use dtilt or utilt to start combos and hit 'em with all your aerials exept fair --- thats for spiking

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
At 0-35% you can juggle just about anyone with U-tilt, and can juggle everyone with Uair to AT LEAST 50%, and the fater falling charters to 70. KO light character off the top with UpSmash and Heavies to the side with FSmash.
Firballs are usefull, mostly on slower characters, Fireballs have an unusually high histun, Making a Semi-Spike over edges, usefull for edgeguarding.
Cape can work Wonders on Fairs/Bairs/Up-Bs.
Fludd pushes away Up-Bs like Sonic, Snake, Pit, ROB, and DeDeDe more effectively than the Cape, and can be used for other spacing needs.
You can still DownThrow-Chaingrab SOME characters.

But thats just what I think.

Daichi

Smash Cadet
Super Wec, i like you. You're my kinda guy. Take a character you like and main him! **** the haters! Plumber Power! Low Tier for Top Tier!

Anyways, yeah mario is actually alot better than he's given credit for. U-Tilt juggles are good, short hop fireballs help with approach, and the back air is your friend. Actually theres not alot i can say that hsn't been touched on. Good luck in your mario ventures, and look me up im around your area i think.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I can´t give any advice that hasn´t been said already, but I wish you good luck with Mario!

Okay, maybe one: change your fighting style according the enemy you face: against long-range characters you´ve got to be more defensive than against short-ranged ones, against slow ones you can combo like crazy and against faster ones you´ve got to wait for the right moment and so on...

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
in brawl, at least in my opinion, i find that all of marios moves are greatly improved and are useful. However, there is one move i do suggest not using, and that move is........

DUM DU DU DUMMMMM!!!!!!!

Marios dash grab..

Do not use mario's dash grab, not only is his slow, its laggy, and has little range. Instead, do a shield grab in a way you would do a shield dash. While dashing, smash and hold the shield button quickly, then press the the attack. The momentum from dashing should make you slide, thus giving you a safer grabbing animation.

Mix in a couple of short hopped fireballs and you have your self a new approach system.

Try attempting chain grabs with this, especially for is forward or down tosses, I do this all the time against foes, so much fun with mario...

COMMANDLIST

Smash Cadet
You can use his u smash into u tilt to start a pretty good juggle. Follow it up with a short hop uair/dair; makes for a pretty good combo. This juggle can be used between 0-15% depending on the characters weight.

If you want a play that will surely improve your mario's gameplay then look up on my thread titled '' Sorry I took so long to give u Mario's best approach'' :)

1HKO

Smash Apprentice
grr

You can use his u smash into u tilt to start a pretty good juggle. Follow it up with a short hop uair/dair; makes for a pretty good combo. This juggle can be used between 0-15% depending on the characters weight.

If you want a play that will surely improve your mario's gameplay then look up on my thread titled '' Sorry I took so long to give u Mario's best approach'' :)
man I hate self promotion. your post wasn't even that great in the first place. You also should stop calling ATs "plays" or "features" AT is popular for a reason. grr:mad:

besides that your "combo" is far outclassed by a typical WOP bair> uair then DI back where you started from and repeat.

Top Bottom