• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

im having dog problems....(3 month old)

Status
Not open for further replies.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Pensacola, FL. That place that Tristen de Luna fou
my mom "adopted" a jack russel/pug pup. as i already know, jack russels are energetic dogs now, my dog has gotten older and tends to become very unobeident(if thats a word). she(i said she) is is not potty trained and urinates on my moms carpet. once ive caught my dog trying to hide her pee spot under my bed,sofa. my dog tends to bite ALOT, but i know that she is playing, its her nature and wolves play the same. its pretty annoying to walk her, i always end up "fighting" to make her stop pulling my jeans/shoe(she even ruined my Jordans T_T) i try to train her at times to stop bitting, by tapping on her snowt and saying "no bitting" for 15 times,another dangerous one is that she tend to chase other people, i actually had to chase my dog from across the street. nothings changed. i really like this dog, id hate for my mom to get rid of her. any victorians here?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I would recommend training your dog. With a trainer or without, you don't want your dog to develop bad habits. And sooner, rather than later.

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
She's three months old, so you have to expect the biting and pulling on her leash. All she's doing is playing with you. These bad habits have to be stopped NOW, like what Lythium said. You'd rather have this off your hands now than later.

For the peeing in the house, I suggest that (when you catch her doing it) bang a pot or something else to make a loud noise to startle her. Eventually, she'll get the idea that 'going' in the house is a bad thing. Make sure to also praise her alot when she 'goes' outside, always remember to reward good behavior. Do not yell at her when you find a pee spot; younger animals don't understand why you're yelling at them for something they did some time ago. You need to catch them in the act, if you will.

To train with a leash, first teach her to get used to having it attatched to her collar, then walk a few feet with her on it. If she starts pulling, stop walking. Same goes for the biting, if she starts biting you, turn away and ignore her. She's only doing it for attention.

Hope that helps, good luck with her :)

teeman92

Smash Lord
She's three months old, so you have to expect the biting and pulling on her leash. All she's doing is playing with you. These bad habits have to be stopped NOW, like what Lythium said. You'd rather have this off your hands now than later.

For the peeing in the house, I suggest that (when you catch her doing it) bang a pot or something else to make a loud noise to startle her. Eventually, she'll get the idea that 'going' in the house is a bad thing. Make sure to also praise her alot when she 'goes' outside, always remember to reward good behavior. Do not yell at her when you find a pee spot; younger animals don't understand why you're yelling at them for something they did some time ago. You need to catch them in the act, if you will.

To train with a leash, first teach her to get used to having it attatched to her collar, then walk a few feet with her on it. If she starts pulling, stop walking. Same goes for the biting, if she starts biting you, turn away and ignore her. She's only doing it for attention.

Hope that helps, good luck with her :)
recently my parents have beaten her with a newpaper, yelled at her for barking. they dont notice that she NEEDS or WANTS something from barking. right now, i tried to make her stop biting by leaving her when she bites and blowing at her and yelping like a dog, all it did was make my dog get ticked. is it normal that a dog growls when playing? shes ROUGH when playing with other dogs. my other dog was a year old, even got scared of her(ill call her Nola for now)

my dogs knows that when she need to go, she jumps on the door(doggy door time?). she still pees on the floor though

sorry bout the terrible grammer, im not bright with typing

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Expanding on what Moon of the Strawberries said, you need to appropriately scold and reward your dog. For instance, peeing on the floor warrants a scolding, and peeing outside warrants praise. (Haha, obviously.) Also, if you notice your dog at the door wanting to go outside to do its business, encourage it to do so by letting it out right away.

Also, does your dog bark at anything in particular? For example, my dog will bark like crazy if anyone enters the yard. We just tell him to stop, and he usually does. It's perfectly natural for a dog to bark at some things, just make sure it's not barking for no reason.

As far as the being rough with other dogs (and you), just make sure to socialize it. You have another dog, so that might help.

Good luck.

Spire

III
BRoomer
The word you were looking for was "disobedient".

And some advice: Make sure only one person walks her. Otherwise, she'll become confused as to why so many different people are walking her and will forget all learned commands that you ask of her whilst walking.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
another dangerous one is that she tend to chase other people, i actually had to chase my dog from across the street. nothings changed.
NEVER, NEVER, chase your dog. If you are trying to train it, chasing does not help, to them being chased and the grabbed is almost like playing (especially a 3-month old). If that happens, walk to the dog, or go around and come from the front. Don't pick her up when teaching either, grab the collar or the skin on the neck and take her with you, picking her up will make her feel comfortable, and well, you don't want your dog comfortable when training, because you don't really learn as well when you are learning what to do you just sit there.

The biting is normal, at that age it's more of a nipping, and like human babies they need to chew something to relax the pain of the teeth that are growing in.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Expanding on what Moon of the Strawberries said, you need to appropriately scold and reward your dog. For instance, peeing on the floor warrants a scolding, and peeing outside warrants praise. (Haha, obviously.) Also, if you notice your dog at the door wanting to go outside to do its business, encourage it to do so by letting it out right away.

Also, does your dog bark at anything in particular? For example, my dog will bark like crazy if anyone enters the yard. We just tell him to stop, and he usually does. It's perfectly natural for a dog to bark at some things, just make sure it's not barking for no reason.

As far as the being rough with other dogs (and you), just make sure to socialize it. You have another dog, so that might help.

Good luck.
she barks when anyone arrive at my front door. when she wants to have a bite fest-- er play, or gets hesistant. her bark is ANNOYING, my mom whacks her everytime nola barks(thankfully)

i tried to hit her(not harmfully) with a newpaper. seem to make her hesistate to bite me, still she bite momentarily -_-. i guess ill have to be patient

and we got rid of our other dog, ruby was too "soft" to be a guard dog(which my dad wanted)

zrky

Smash Lol'd
she barks when anyone arrive at my front door. when she wants to have a bite fest-- er play, or gets hesistant. her bark is ANNOYING, my mom whacks her everytime nola barks(thankfully)

i tried to hit her(not harmfully) with a newpaper. seem to make her hesistate to bite me, still she bite momentarily -_-. i guess ill have to be patient

and we got rid of our other dog, ruby was too "soft" to be a guard dog(which my dad wanted)
With a puppy....you will have to be VERY patient, it can be hard but in 2 months you can lose some of that patience:)

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
recently my parents have beaten her with a newpaper, yelled at her for barking. they dont notice that she NEEDS or WANTS something from barking. right now, i tried to make her stop biting by leaving her when she bites and blowing at her and yelping like a dog, all it did was make my dog get ticked. is it normal that a dog growls when playing? shes ROUGH when playing with other dogs. my other dog was a year old, even got scared of her(ill call her Nola for now)

my dogs knows that when she need to go, she jumps on the door(doggy door time?). she still pees on the floor though
Please make sure your parents NEVER beat your dog, no matter what happens. Please do not lay your hand on her like that. Usually when my aunts dog used to bark, i'd say 'no' firmly, lightly grab and close her snout and look her straight in the eye.

Yes, puppies can be very rough when playing and can growl and bark. That's fine. As long as she doesn't become aggressive and bite to hurt, let her play. But even then, monitor how she bites..if she bites alot just ignore her when she does.

In my opinion, ignoring a barking dog is the best way to train it. if she's barking for no reason completely ignore her. Do not look at her, or talk about her. If she's only looking for attention, leaving her alone will only let her get bored and eventually she'll stop.

If she knows how to wait for the door, let her out RIGHT when she wants to. Puppies have very small bladders and can't hold it for long. Unless you want her to pee everywhere, please let her out when she want's to.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Please make sure your parents NEVER beat your dog, no matter what happens. Please do not lay your hand on her like that. Usually when my aunts dog used to bark, i'd say 'no' firmly, lightly grab and close her snout and look her straight in the eye.

Yes, puppies can be very rough when playing and can growl and bark. That's fine. As long as she doesn't become aggressive and bite to hurt, let her play. But even then, monitor how she bites..if she bites alot just ignore her when she does.

In my opinion, ignoring a barking dog is the best way to train it. if she's barking for no reason completely ignore her. Do not look at her, or talk about her. If she's only looking for attention, leaving her alone will only let her get bored and eventually she'll stop.

If she knows how to wait for the door, let her out RIGHT when she wants to. Puppies have very small bladders and can't hold it for long. Unless you want her to pee everywhere, please let her out when she want's to.
my dog NEVER bites my parents, but just everyone else. whats up with that?

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
my dog NEVER bites my parents, but just everyone else. whats up with that?
If you said that your parents have beaten her with a newspaper, that mean's she's obviously afraid. Also, she most likely sees them as the "alphas" of the household, or the "top dogs". They're her leaders, and she won't hurt them like that. You have to consider the pack structure that dogs live by.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
When your dog goes to bite grab it firmly by the neck/scruff and force it(not too roughly) onto its back and hold it there till it stops trying to bite.This forces it into a submissive position that dogs generally dont like to be in.(Especially around other dogs)

If it pees indoors rub their nose in it.Tell them off while pointing at them and make sure you use a loud clear voice,then put them outside.

Oh and when you go for walkies MAKE SURE you go out the door first,followed by the dog.This lets them know YOU are walking them.If they try to tug on the lead,stop and wait till they come back to your side,then make sure you walk ahead of them again.

Ive had to train my 3 dogs and they are all pretty **** obedient(One of them is kinda stupid though)

Im no expert but this stuff works.

teeman92

Smash Lord
When your dog goes to bite grab it firmly by the neck/scruff and force it(not too roughly) onto its back and hold it there till it stops trying to bite.This forces it into a submissive position that dogs generally dont like to be in.(Especially around other dogs)

If it pees indoors rub their nose in it.Tell them off while pointing at them and make sure you use a loud clear voice,then put them outside.

Oh and when you go for walkies MAKE SURE you go out the door first,followed by the dog.This lets them know YOU are walking them.If they try to tug on the lead,stop and wait till they come back to your side,then make sure you walk ahead of them again.

Ive had to train my 3 dogs and they are all pretty **** obedient(One of them is kinda stupid though)

Im no expert but this stuff works.
when im trying to walk the dog, i walk near my backdoor to let her know its walking time. so she jumps on the door. am i doing it wrong?

zrky

Smash Lol'd
when im trying to walk the dog, i walk near my backdoor to let her know its walking time. so she jumps on the door. am i doing it wrong?
The jumping is just excitement, going for a walk should be fun, be be sure that YOU are the one in control not the dog. Basically don't let the dog take you for a walk, you take the dog for a walk.

Pikaville

The jumping is just excitement, going for a walk should be fun, be be sure that YOU are the one in control not the dog. Basically don't let the dog take you for a walk, you take the dog for a walk.
Bang on the money dude!

teeman92

Smash Lord
now my dad gotten so ticked from the dogs repetitive barking that he banned her from comming in our house, by leaving her in my backyard with plenty of water and food. the sad thing, is that my destrutive had to go pee, but she broke the leash(which made my dad even MORE ticked) my dad never noticed she had to go.....my parents are such grizzly bears, easily angered yet very caring

Pikaville

Sorry man thats rough.

I dont want to upset you or anything but,were you real attached to her yet?

I remember when my 16 year old dog died I cried my eyes out.That dog was around me from the day I was born.If a puppy I grew attached to died suddenly,it would sadden me immensely.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Sorry man thats rough.

I dont want to upset you or anything but,were you real attached to her yet?

I remember when my 16 year old dog died I cried my eyes out.That dog was around me from the day I was born.If a puppy I grew attached to died suddenly,it would sadden me immensely.
i wasent truely attached to her, it was sad looked at her on the ground with her eyes opened. i nearly teared and i had that slight "wanna cry" feel in me

Silentprotector

Smash Cadet
sorry to her that ={
well it's god that u weren't attached to the dog ^^; it was hard for me when my german sheperd died last year, he was with me for 13 years
but i had like 3 puppys who died with the disease

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Bah nevermind that's too mean. Sorry to hear about your dog. Make sure your family takes proper precautions next time they get a dog.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Bah nevermind that's too mean. Sorry to hear about your dog. Make sure your family takes proper precautions next time they get a dog.
we will, this is my last bump for this thread

im pretty sure that they want a guard dog that is not arrogant and destructive.It HAVE to be a inside type dog(work,school,etc) and it must be VERY obedeient. and a bit playful

i thought Rotweilers were good for the job, but i KNOW they're dangerous dogs. what about german shepherds? i love the pointy ears, but their size kinda ruins it. any suggested type of breed?

slave1

Smash Lord
i thought Rotweilers were good for the job, but i KNOW they're dangerous dogs. what about german shepherds? i love the pointy ears, but their size kinda ruins it. any suggested type of breed?
rotweilers are ugly.

German Shepard's would be awesome, but they are big.

a good Labrador,

i hate poodles but they are good guard dogs.

huskies, smaller than German Shepard's, have pointy ears, nice, playful, expensive.

Australian Shepard

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Akitas are very good as far as I know, they are obedient playful and can guard if taught to:) and they are smallish, about medium sized.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
You shouldn't want a dog to be a guard. It isn't a good idea and can go wrong in so many ways.

Rotties aren't dangerous. They are sweet hearts. They can be good guard dogs, though, but the breed is so strong that you really should have more experience with dogs before giving them a go.

Really it depends on the dog, it's blood lines, and how you raise it.

Generally terriers are more aggressive dogs(minus the pit bull terrier and American staffordshire terrier. They have dog aggression but little people aggression). Regardless of low people aggression, they would defend you if you were being attacked in front of them. But then I think most breeds would.

No no no no to German Shepherds unless you have the time to train and socialize them. The wrong owner can REALLY mess up a GSD because they are super loyal and smart. They need a lot of space, and they need a job. An active job.

Don't get a Siberian Husky. Difficult to train. Extremely active. Will bolt out of your yard the first chance it gets.

A lab might be the best choice. Loyal to a family, not prone to aggression. Easy to train and raise. Better as watch dogs. This is good because they are less likely to BITE, but will bark and raise your awareness. Less worries about lawsuits.

A doberman may be another good breed. Nevermind, you want an indoor breed. Maybe a beagle, then. Smaller dog.

Honestly, I implore you not to get a dog to be a guard dog. Unless you have a lot of experience with dogs and plan to seek reliable, professional help, getting a dog JUST to be a guard dog is a recipe for disaster.

And when you do get a new puppy, keep it inside the house most times, and get its **** vaccinations.

Edit: Regardless of what people say, DO NOT get a herding type dog unless you plan on giving it an ACTIVE job. these dogs are smart and will not tolerate being bored.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
^^^ this lady knows her stuff.

Would you mind telling us the size of your house and yard? Doesn't make a lot of sense for us to pick dog breeds without knowing what environment they're going into.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I don't know if it's just me (from what you have said in here) he doesn't seem like one who would take the time to build a friendship so that it would WANT to protect him =/

Also what Azua said is true, the environment of your house would also have to be factored in to the size and such, you know but we don't, and you want us to help right?

teeman92

Smash Lord
I don't know if it's just me (from what you have said in here) he doesn't seem like one who would take the time to build a friendship so that it would WANT to protect him =/

Also what Azua said is true, the environment of your house would also have to be factored in to the size and such, you know but we don't, and you want us to help right?
i DID give her many chances. once i let her run around my living room, she always end up weewee'ing on my carpet, and making me scold at her and force her back in her cage. even if i did walked her before we play, she still urinates on my carpet. My dad tried to build freindship by playing with her a few times. it seems like no one wants to train/play with her. i tried leaving her on a leash on the hard floor(so pee will be easy to clean) so i play with her 7-8 mins(i have homework EVERYDAY), we always end up playing the "biting game" i could never train her to stop bitting me(she'll never bite my mom or dad)

our enviroment? the house is pretty big, 4 room bedrooms. its too nice to be ruined(she did naw our $600 chair to death)

i dont think i need any help now. my dad is thinking of getting a rotty, probably large size. i love rottys' appearence, big black coat, a mean look in the eyes, they arent that agresive(depends)

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
Any dog can be aggressive if trained improperly. You just gotta remember that dogs are a lot like people, and they get bored, too. A dog is a conscious being, not a thing. Many problems arise when a dog is treated like an object rather than an animal with a mind of its own.

If you're having trouble housebreaking the dog, try using these. They worked pretty well with my puppy. Make sure you always take the dog to either the pads or outside after they've eaten, drank, after playtime, or obviously if they've been inside all day and you just got home.

If you're having chewing trouble, get your dog one of these. If you want the puppy to pay attention to it longer, put some peanut butter in the treat dispenser part of it. It's harder for them to get out, but in the meantime they are focusing on chewing that instead of furniture. Works well with teething.

There are also some sprays you can purchase from petco or petsmart that taste pretty nasty if the dog chews on them, but they're scentless so you're safe to spray them on whatever. [I know this is common sense, but unplug wires before you spray them =p]

teeman92

Smash Lord
Any dog can be aggressive if trained improperly. You just gotta remember that dogs are a lot like people, and they get bored, too. A dog is a conscious being, not a thing. Many problems arise when a dog is treated like an object rather than an animal with a mind of its own.

If you're having trouble housebreaking the dog, try using these. They worked pretty well with my puppy. Make sure you always take the dog to either the pads or outside after they've eaten, drank, after playtime, or obviously if they've been inside all day and you just got home.

If you're having chewing trouble, get your dog one of these. If you want the puppy to pay attention to it longer, put some peanut butter in the treat dispenser part of it. It's harder for them to get out, but in the meantime they are focusing on chewing that instead of furniture. Works well with teething.

There are also some sprays you can purchase from petco or petsmart that taste pretty nasty if the dog chews on them, but they're scentless so you're safe to spray them on whatever. [I know this is common sense, but unplug wires before you spray them =p]
*mesmerized by post count* O_O

oh, ive tried traing pads, i often spray them with that "make you pee" stuff, it was slowly progressing or it didnt work well, she used to pee on the carpet next to it, than the pad. i assumed that she thinks my carpet is grass, since they are color blind i thought.

ive been bugging my parents to buy bitter apple spray, they still havent bought it since.

Narukari

Smash Journeyman
Even though I would also suggest to get a breed that fits what you want in a dog, if you are willing to put the effort and time in, you can make any breed into a housedog. My mom used to train dogs for people in town, and on her hardest job (Huskies), it would just take more time than another breed would.

Almost any sort of problem you are trying to solve can be done by getting the dog to see an action or object as "bad". With peeing in the house, you would want to grab them by the scruff, put their face towards the pee, make some noise(usually a firm angry "NO" will work), and put it outside until it goes to the bathroom again before letting it back inside. This will slowly but surely let the dog realise that the peeing in the house is a bad thing.

For a problem with an object, like the dog chases cats, or chews the newspaper apart, you can use this method. Take the dog, and hold him by your side with a leash. Hold the leash close to the coller and put the object you don't want him to go towards in front of him. This will usually get the dog to move towards the object. Then you would pull the dog back with the leash, grab him by the scruff and tell him "NO" just like you would with the peeing problem. Eventually the dog will stop moving towards the object by himself. Then you will want to start encouraging him to go towards the object. The higher pitch in your tone from when you are saying "NO" should make the dog get more excited. You will still pull the dog back if he ever starts to approach the object on his own. After a few hours of this the dog should start steering away from the boject even if you push him towards the object. The dog will now associate that object with making his pack leader(you) angry.

You will have to rinse and repeat this for a couple weeks or so, but eventually the dog will get to the point where it will remember what made you angry from day to day.

Also, while you should never "hit" your dog, even with a newspaper. You should grab it by it's scruff to show it when you are displeased, this is the way that the pack leader would show its displeasure when out in the wild. If the dog allready thinks that it is the pack leader of your household, it will whine, yelp, park, or even bite at you. Just make sure to hold your ground and don't let go of him. Once the dog sees that you have more power over it, and it cannot control you, it will become much more submissive.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Honestly, and I'm sorry about being honest, from what I've read here your family does not sound like they know how to deal with dogs. If you get a rottie, I implore you to get profession training and to READ ABOUT THE BREED. If a rottie does not respect you, that is a BIG ****ing problem. It can become aggressive, and rotties are among the most powerful dogs. Even if they don't become aggressive, lack of respect means they will not listen to you and will pull you everywhere.

Rotties need a lot of exercise. Does your family have time to give this to your dog every day? If they don't, DON'T GET ONE. Don't get any high energy dog you don't have the time for.

Also, if you think your house is too nice to be ruined, don't get a puppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom