• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Im in desperate need of help!

ShieryuSilvr

Smash Apprentice
Today I was playing some friendlies as Link, my main, and I keep losing...I use projectiles to keep away and grabs when I need to, but somehow I cant seem to win...:urg:
Someone please tell me how I can play better defensively...
and I've already read the stickies, that didn't help much.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Try to record a video. Even if its the worst quality vid we've ever seen, we can only help once we've seen how your opponent plays.
From the info you gave, I can only say rely less on projectiles as spacers. Link's spacing game was way better in Melee anyway. Use them to complete your strategy, filling in the gaps, rather than as your main weapon.
You aren't going to get any kills shooting a person when they're off the edge, that's for sure. :p

D

Deleted member

-watch other link players and learn how they react during certain situations
- learn all the AT's, DI and the basics of spacing
- post a video, or transfer demo files to somebody that can capture a video for you (not me i'm in california lol), after that then we'll tell you how to get better lol

ShieryuSilvr

Smash Apprentice
-watch other link players and learn how they react during certain situations
- learn all the AT's, DI and the basics of spacing
- post a video, or transfer demo files to somebody that can capture a video for you (not me i'm in california lol), after that then we'll tell you how to get better lol
Thanks everyone, and Arkive thanks for heping me out so much (this isn't the first time, I know):)

Edit: I think I'll have 3 vids by Tuesday, if thats ok with you.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I'm back from my 2 day hiatus. What did I miss? lol Anyway, time to help :D

Use Zair to grab. It's pretty useful and it racks damage quite nicely.

Use Link's "CG" (which I'm going to get a vid up later of) It's just Uthrow. A lot. You can really only use it on FD. But it's easily escapable lol. You just have to be outsmarted. I adapted it from Atire's Samus CG with Uthrow. But don't rely on it. (I'll edit the post later when I make the vid)

Zair to DAC. Looks nice and is awesome. Racks up damage.

Arrow Canceling. Just learn all the ATs.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Speaking of Link "CG"s Blu, I tend to have one I use, it's Dthrow instead of Uthrow though. Same idea, just they don't go as high. When they return just get them with a pivot grab or something.

ShieryuSilvr

Smash Apprentice
Thanks guys! I have been practicing it a lot. Zair into DAC is 1 of my best combos. I use Blubba's version of "CG" the downgrab is great for that.

sasook

Smash Champion
look at my new guide, Triforce of Courage, it explains everything you'll need to know.
Mine too? Maybe?.....

NintenJoe I want to hate you......your guide destroys mine. But, you really didn't do anything wrong, so I guess I'm just saying I'm way jealous.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Mine too? Maybe?.....

NintenJoe I want to hate you......your guide destroys mine. But, you really didn't do anything wrong, so I guess I'm just saying I'm way jealous.
Sasook, I never meant to destroy your guide, and I tried to support your guide in every way possible. I just wanted to get that garbage out of the sticky list... it infuriates me that Skler's guide and the weekly discussion are still up there.

I promise to list your guide and make references to it in mine, and I'm sorry if I made you mad...

sasook

Smash Champion
Sasook, I never meant to destroy your guide, and I tried to support your guide in every way possible. I just wanted to get that garbage out of the sticky list... it infuriates me that Skler's guide and the weekly discussion are still up there.

I promise to list your guide and make references to it in mine, and I'm sorry if I made you mad...
I know, you really did support it. Thanks for that.

Thanks for listing mine in the credits too. It's not so much that I'm mad at you as it is that I'm mad at myself. I thought my guide was thorough, that I covered everything. Then this came along.

Don't get me wrong, this guides unbelievable. Like....words can't even describe it. But looking at this, and how amazing it is, makes me feel like mine will never be looked at from now on. And that saddens me, seeing as it was my first guide for any game, ever.

Astrokirby

Smash Cadet
Yeah, most people dont expect the DThrow one. Also, use Nair on recovering opponents, I find it very effective when theyre under the stage.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I know, you really did support it. Thanks for that.

Thanks for listing mine in the credits too. It's not so much that I'm mad at you as it is that I'm mad at myself. I thought my guide was thorough, that I covered everything. Then this came along.

Don't get me wrong, this guides unbelievable. Like....words can't even describe it. But looking at this, and how amazing it is, makes me feel like mine will never be looked at from now on. And that saddens me, seeing as it was my first guide for any game, ever.
The situation isn't that bad. Remember, you helped this Link guide be so awesome. You get a cookie for that. :bee: Besides, until some stupid mod comes along and actually looks at the bad shape the Link boards are in, people will look at all the guides 'cause they can't find anything anyway. :p

Now you know what an EPIC guide really looks like, and from now on you can really make your guides shine by using a similar format to Nintenjoe's. You could probably even work on updating your current one.
If there was one thing I'd like to see out of the multiple guides we have now, it would be that they built on each other like this one rather than just use scattered bits of random knowledge like most of the other guides outside the Link boards. We could really get in depth about Link's metagame like that.

ShieryuSilvr, you should definitely read through Nintejoe's guide if you haven't already. At least read the first quarter of it. Or the last quarter. Or any quarter. EPIC.

Top Bottom