• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm loving this physics engine

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
I'm sure this is all old news to you guys. . .but I was fooling around with Mario during one of my Brawl binges, and I found out that this god-awful physics engine that's so horribly floaty and slow does have its benefits.

For example, Mario can--for the first time ever--do two b-airs in one short hop. This is utterly fantastic news, and the implications behind this is huge. . .imagine the shield pressure/wall-of-pain tactics that you could pull off with this.

And in the same vein, you can tack on other aerials after the first b-air--i.e. b-air -> sex kick, b-air -> u-air, even the useless b-air -> d-air, all in one short hop (and for the record, it seems that the first two are the most useful. B-air -> sex kick may be good at deterring out-of-shield counters so long as you land behind them, and b-air -> u-air can possibly set up for combo opportunities since it knocks them higher than a second b-air would). And you can do double u-airs in one short hop too.

So yeah. . .I used to hate how floaty this game was, until I found out that Mario could do this double short hop aerial stuff. I'm completely satisfied with the way the game is now because of this. >_>

Help!

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff Maelstrom you think you going to write up a guide sometime?
and you could sh double uair in melee although its pretty **** hard but i was doing them a bit. you could sh uair and mid air jump whatever too although its really hard.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Good stuff Maelstrom you think you going to write up a guide sometime?
and you could sh double uair in melee although its pretty **** hard but i was doing them a bit. you could sh uair and mid air jump whatever too although its really hard.
Yeah, I know. Mario could even do the b-air -> sex kick in one short hop back in Melee, but it's just that it was impractical because of the near frame perfect timing. SH u-air -> double jump was also not that great. . .not good for combos, but okay for shield pressure options maybe.

But this double b-air stuff changes EVERYTHING. It's like. . .Mario is actually a decent character with decent options now. Ha ha.

SynikaL

Smash Lord
But this double b-air stuff changes EVERYTHING. It's like. . .Mario is actually a decent character with decent options now. Ha ha.
He was just as much before.

Try Up Air x 2 in a Short Hop. Great for combo attempts. You can end them with a D. Smash or Pivoted F. Smash depending on the %.

-Kimosabae

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
the physics in brawl are like 10x better for the game, they are made with the intention for you to be able to utilize air moves more effectively. not the game's fault you are just figuring this out.

PS. other characters can do this too. i just don't remember which ones or for which moves.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
Have you guys notice that even thoough the new mario tornado doesn't rise it acts as a air escape with a slight lift with these new physics. try running and jumping to a full height with the dair before you peak out to see what I'm talking about. Its not that effective, but I still use it with my mario with DIing to recover from hits or landing and it works slightly decent, giving me a little more control of him..

Top Bottom