• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm new to Bowser Jr, Any Tips? Combos? Techs?

PK_Lunar_π_03

Smash Cadet
Hey I'm New to Bowser Jr, He's Very fun to play and I wanna learn a Character you don't really see in Tourneys AnyTips?

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
The first most important thing to learn about Bowser Jr. is that Side-B is his best and most versatile tool in terms of recovery, combos, and approach. You can jump out of it at any time after you start moving forward, even after you hit the opponent with it, and from there you can combo it into an aerial. At low percents, practice Side-B -> Jump Cancel -> Dair -> Dash attack/Short hop fair.

Learn Mechakoopa tech, having a useful projectile is helpful to Jr. If you use it in the air, the mechakoopa "bounces" before it starts walking, allowing Jr. to run up to it and short hop air dodge to pick it up. From there you can throw it or z drop it to put pressure on your opponents.

Take advantage of disjoints. Short hop fair autocancels and lasts a while, so throw that out a lot. Forward Smash kills early and has a gigantic hitbox, but like most Smash attacks you can't throw it out all the time due to cooldown.

Jr. is good at pressuring ledge getups with angled F-Smash and Up-B. Learn to cover getup options, as Jr. loves it when his opponent is offstage.

Speaking of which, go far for gimps. Jr. has an excellent recovery that allows him to go in deep with fair/bair for kills and still make it back. Test your limits.

This is all just basic stuff off the top of my head, hope it's helpful.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
The first most important thing to learn about Bowser Jr. is that Side-B is his best and most versatile tool in terms of recovery, combos, and approach. You can jump out of it at any time after you start moving forward, even after you hit the opponent with it, and from there you can combo it into an aerial. At low percents, practice Side-B -> Jump Cancel -> Dair -> Dash attack/Short hop fair.

Learn Mechakoopa tech, having a useful projectile is helpful to Jr. If you use it in the air, the mechakoopa "bounces" before it starts walking, allowing Jr. to run up to it and short hop air dodge to pick it up. From there you can throw it or z drop it to put pressure on your opponents.

Take advantage of disjoints. Short hop fair autocancels and lasts a while, so throw that out a lot. Forward Smash kills early and has a gigantic hitbox, but like most Smash attacks you can't throw it out all the time due to cooldown.

Jr. is good at pressuring ledge getups with angled F-Smash and Up-B. Learn to cover getup options, as Jr. loves it when his opponent is offstage.

Speaking of which, go far for gimps. Jr. has an excellent recovery that allows him to go in deep with fair/bair for kills and still make it back. Test your limits.

This is all just basic stuff off the top of my head, hope it's helpful.
Basically what I would say, but I can add more once you have gotten the basic: explore what Jr is good at in diffirent situations and see what works good and what works less good.
every character do have that but with Jr is more important than many characters due how Jr works

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Adding on to what @ UberMadman UberMadman said:

When you drop the mechakoopa onto the ground, try to Z catch it instead of air-dodge catching it. When you pick it up with a short-hop airdodge, then you have to wait out the airdodge. However, if you short hop and hit Z (or your grab button) then you'll pick it up with no animation or endlag whatsoever, which is crucial.

Side-b is a fantastic tool. Use it to start combos but also use it for mixups. If your opponent sees you approaching with side-b to aerial a lot, then start to side-b jump-cancel immediately and move around really weird.
Also note that spinning out with the kart can be a kill move.

Recovery is another of your biggest tools, but on the other hand it is what I consider a "glass cannon." Sure, you can recover from anywhere, but you can be gimped and not get your kart back at the same time.
When recovering, make sure that you don't recover from the same place every time (i.e. don't recover low 100% of the time, or high 100% of the time.)
Something that I do a lot is I'll side-b jump cancel and wait a bit for an attempted edgeguard (most people would go off with an aerial) and then up-b after they do the aerial. (Can't do this everytime of course though since they'll start reading it.)

Also, you can airdodge almost immediately after you up-b. This is a very good tool to avoid an edgeguard, but with everything, your opponent can start reading it so don't rely on it 100% of the time.

Cannonballs. I really like these, especially offstage. If I knock someone offstage, I'll sometimes jump off and start charging a cannonball either to hit them, or to instill fear. If it misses, then of course your recovery is great so you can go for an aerial before you go back to the stage.
Oh, and the cannonball endlag animation after if fires is canceled if you grab the ledge.

With his down-air, if you avoid hitting with the last hit, then it can send opponents downward. Only the very last hit of d-air will send them up, so doing a fast-fall d-air and angling away during the last part of it will make them go down and have a harder time recovering.

Down-tilt is a good "get away from me" move. It comes out really fast and of course is a 3-hit move, so people might drop their shield early if they're not wary.

Most of your attacks are disjointed and that is incredible, use that to your advantage.

Your jab is kind of bad. The last hit can kill at higher percents, but the rapid jab can easily be gotten out of before the last hit connects, which makes you punishable since you have such high end-lag.

A good thing to consider when edgeguarding is to drop a mechakoopa and quickly get hold of it. Jump off the stage and throw the mechakoopa up so it'll fall down past the ledge, and either try to aerial or up-b to catch your opponent. This provides many different hitboxes to get around.
This can also be used on-stage if you notice your opponent plays rush-down.

Back air is really strong when you get the strong hit too, so use that.

That's about all I can think of for now, if you have anything else specific about the character then definitely ask. I've been playing him since day 1 of the game.

Top Bottom