• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm not pro, but...

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
I like to think I'm good vs Marths. Anyway, when Marth's hanging on the edge, just use Sheik's dash dance (as long as possible like Rob$) and let Marth get up and roll / just get up / attack you from the edge. Dash dance out of range, grab, and if there's a platform, do the Plank **** (jump on top of the platform and follow his tech to regrab), if not, slap for the kill.

Marths just can't resist doing this and pretty much the only thing Marth will do is delay his attack so he fairs / uairs later, mixing up his timing so you mess up and get hit. But if you space properly and wait it's like wow free ****.

And when you hit Marth off the edge and he gets the edge quicker than you can get into a position to edge guard, so you know you can't get him, just feint like you're going to really follow him and if you're far enough away the Marth likes to hurry up and get up early, and IME anyway they just press right to stand up. Just dair to slap.

NinjaRooster

Smash Cadet

do you realize that you've alerted every Marth player to your strategy?

seriously, sounds like a good plan. but what if they anticipate your moves with Marth's down special?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Counter would do little against a grab. Marths can ledgestall, fair ledgestall, ledgehop waveland grab, all of which can get past your dashdance grab thing.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
While he's stalling just charge your needles, no Marth wants a free 18% (or kill if you get em with it while they recover) on them. Then when it looks like he's about to do anything just dash dance out of range and grab again.

This has worked vs pretty much every Marth I've played and I've played some good ones.

Marth can waveland into a grab or an utilt but Marths never do that ^^

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
I like to think I'm good vs Marths. Anyway, when Marth's hanging on the edge, just use Sheik's dash dance (as long as possible like Rob$) and let Marth get up and roll / just get up / attack you from the edge. Dash dance out of range, grab, and if there's a platform, do the Plank **** (jump on top of the platform and follow his tech to regrab), if not, slap for the kill.

Marths just can't resist doing this and pretty much the only thing Marth will do is delay his attack so he fairs / uairs later, mixing up his timing so you mess up and get hit. But if you space properly and wait it's like wow free ****.

And when you hit Marth off the edge and he gets the edge quicker than you can get into a position to edge guard, so you know you can't get him, just feint like you're going to really follow him and if you're far enough away the Marth likes to hurry up and get up early, and IME anyway they just press right to stand up. Just dair to slap.
The long dash dance sounds like a good idea, but then if they just stand up, usually they can do some action before you grab them. Sometimes they just sit in their shield, in which case it will work, but if they buffer a roll or if they grab then they'll beat you more often than not.

Also, I would never protect the stage with a dair. I've never tried it, but it seems to unwieldy for me.

Against Marth I crouch cancel at the edge. Marth's like attacking cuz the sword covers so much space, but just CC to dsmash and that's the stock, every time. It's really simple, as soon as you see them get up then you mash dsmash, cuz it works on a lot of different ways to get up. The only things they can do is roll, which is REALLY easy to predict, or they can fair regrab ledge, or nair, fall, up b to regrab ledge. Jumping works depending on how early you dsmash and how close you are to the edge, but Marth's typically don't jump from the edge, and even when they do I can still catch them with a quick dsmash sometimes. Also, I dash dance into CC near the edge, so they think I'm just waiting, but as soon as they get up I'm CCing, and then the dsmash ***** them.

Sometimes I run off the stage and jump back on with a bair. I don't know what makes me do it... I play this game mostly by instinct... but it works sometimes just because it's different.

While he's stalling just charge your needles, no Marth wants a free 18% (or kill if you get em with it while they recover) on them. Then when it looks like he's about to do anything just dash dance out of range and grab again.

This has worked vs pretty much every Marth I've played and I've played some good ones.

Marth can waveland into a grab or an utilt but Marths never do that ^^
Yeah, if you're not anywhere near the ledge when they grab it I just charge. Needles are pretty good in this game.

My Marth wavelands into grab a lot, not that I even have one. It would **** your sheik's edgeguarding game lol. But I'd probably never get you off the stage so it doesn't matter.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
the dair when they stand up is extremely situational. It surprises though, I finished a stock off of Inks' Marth and DC's Marth doing it. You just know you can't get there in time and the Marth knows it too so he just stands up, probably ledge hopping a fair or some irrelevant **** and you're in the air dairing him to a kill.

marth's nair knocks sheik away so you can't cc a dsmash if you're too high a percentage. don't know it but it's at least 70%, maybe earlier. you want to make marth pay for getting back on the edge in a defensive position the same way marth makes sheik pay with his gay grab / dash dance game.

WOW NO MORE MARTH TIPS I HEAR INKS IS READING MY ****

Ijuka

Smash Ace
the dair when they stand up is extremely situational. It surprises though, I finished a stock off of Inks' Marth and DC's Marth doing it. You just know you can't get there in time and the Marth knows it too so he just stands up, probably ledge hopping a fair or some irrelevant **** and you're in the air dairing him to a kill.

marth's nair knocks sheik away so you can't cc a dsmash if you're too high a percentage. don't know it but it's at least 70%, maybe earlier. you want to make marth pay for getting back on the edge in a defensive position the same way marth makes sheik pay with his gay grab / dash dance game.

WOW NO MORE MARTH TIPS I HEAR INKS IS READING MY ****

O.o You CAN CC Dsmash between the first and second hit of Marth's nair. Done it a few times. I think the timing is just one frame, though, but it's possible. And this is actually useful, thank you.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990

do you realize that you've alerted every Marth player to your strategy?

seriously, sounds like a good plan. but what if they anticipate your moves with Marth's down special?
-Looks at Marth Sig.- Score.

Counter would do little against a grab. Marths can ledgestall, fair ledgestall, ledgehop waveland grab, all of which can get past your dashdance grab thing.
Amen.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
people are dumb. there's a counter for pretty much everything in this game. the best counters are those that work for the majority of situations. the majority of marths are quite vulnerable to this, even the best ones, and even when they catch on it's still hard to do anything against it if you do it properly. wow, they get you once with a waveland grab so you start adapting as well, it's not hard, the point is you have the advantage over them when you do this rather than doing whatever else you're going to do, just like marth has the advantage over sheik when he just dash dance camps just out of sheik's range while sheik is on the ledge.

Top Bottom