• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm pretty sure I discovered a new techniqiue ^.^;

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Ok, first off, I'll get a video of it recorded for you all this weekend. Now then, I'm not entirely sure if this exact method has been discovered/shared yet, and I've already searched all over to see if there was already something like this, but I didn't find anything.

Now then, on to the technique. You all know what a regular pivot grab is and how to do it right? Alright, here is how you perform what I found while I was fiddling around with Peach in training mode.

Quickly press the control stick in the direction your character is facing as if you were going to dash, and at the very same time press the C-stick in the opposite direction as well as the grab button (preferably set to Z). Your character should perform an almost instant turn-around grab that is initiated much faster than a regular pivot grab. It is a suitable tactic for when your opponent is in grab range, but on the other side of you.

Standing Pivot Grab seems to be a suitable name for this nifty little trick. The same method can also be used while you're already dashing as an easier way to perform a pivot grab.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Actually I think you're right on the money with that guess. I'll let you point it out for me when the video is up though. :)

BentoBox

Smash Master
What term do you guys use for simply pressing back and z while running forward? I thought that was a pivot grab, but now that you bring up those half circle shenanigans, I'm not too sure xD. And is my method slower than the real pivot grab?

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I believe that is a pivot grab, but what I'm describing is done by pressing grab and the C-stick in the opposite direction of the way you're running. The Control stick isn't even needed to turn your character with this method.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Oh dang.
Could this potentially extend the length of the chaingrab on Fox, Falco, and Wolf? Pivot grabs have longer range than normal grabs...but do they have more vertical height too?

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I'm not too sure if it would be useful for chaingrabs as it is using the animation of a her dashing grab, which is lower and slower than just turning around to regrab them. This is just an easier way to perform a turn-around grab as you are dashing. It's not a new technique, just an easy alternative to a reverse dash canceled grab. i got a little carried away about it. XP

Villi

Smash Lord
It definitely has more range than her standing grab, but it's slower...

Prax, I made a training room level with diagonal platforms to see if she got any extra vertical range, but it doesn't look like she does.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
wait... what are you saying this is? I don't understand. (the first post is talking about pivot grab and turn around grabs.... now you're talking about dash grabs <____>)

Anyways though, I tried this out for myself (pressing left on the control stick, and then c-stick to the right and z) and I did a pivot grab... but I pretty much didn't move at all. I say "pretty much" because when done right I only moved back a few pixels. So this is basically a standing pivot grab.... which is actually freaking cool. (is this what you are talking about?)

I wonder what's going on here though. Dashing to the left (for instance), and immediately hitting the c-stick to the right causes you to cancel your dash and do a smash attack in said direction. By pressing z at the same time you are either interrupting the smash attack with a grab (not likely).... or there is a frame or two of a turnaround animation before the smash attack where you are inputting the grab.

...From what I can tell using the c-stick isn't technically necessary to do this. You could just dash one direction and then dash the opposite direction while pressing z... though it's probably humanly impossible to do that fast enough.

AAANNNYYYWAYS, to summarize: this is a standing pivot grab. Using the c-stick like this allows you quickly pivot while moving back only a very small amount. I tested this with metaknight and peach, and assume it can be done by everyone. Considering the range these grabs have this seems to be a very useful tech. Moreso for characters with fast pivot grabs though (like mk's :X). You may want to consider posting this in the tactical boards... though I'd refrain from giving it any silly names :p.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Villi

Smash Lord
Standing pivot grab is an appropriate name. Olimar might have a blast with this one. Other characters seem to have a harder time than Peach not sliding backwards when they do it.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Standing pivot grab is an appropriate name. Olimar might have a blast with this one.
Eh, actually his normal grab and pivot grab don't seem to have much of a range/speed difference (if any), so I don't see this being very useful for him. Yoshi on the other hand eats this up (uhhggg puuuun). His pivot grab has longer range AND considerably less cooldown than his normal grab; this tech may replace his normal grab entirely.

Other characters seem to have a harder time than Peach not sliding backwards when they do it.
I thought the same thing with mk and yoshi when I was first messing with them, but it was just me not doing it perfectly. I think the pivot grab stops all momentum. I'm not sure though; maybe you're right with some characters.

Villi

Smash Lord
It's difficult to do it perfectly... Peach doesn't have to. However, there might be some benefit in being able to grab from close enough while still sliding away. Idunno though.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
wait... what are you saying this is? I don't understand. (the first post is talking about pivot grab and turn around grabs.... now you're talking about dash grabs <____>)

Anyways though, I tried this out for myself (pressing left on the control stick, and then c-stick to the right and z) and I did a pivot grab... but I pretty much didn't move at all. I say "pretty much" because when done right I only moved back a few pixels. So this is basically a standing pivot grab.... which is actually freaking cool. (is this what you are talking about?)

I wonder what's going on here though. Dashing to the left (for instance), and immediately hitting the c-stick to the right causes you to cancel your dash and do a smash attack in said direction. By pressing z at the same time you are either interrupting the smash attack with a grab (not likely).... or there is a frame or two of a turnaround animation before the smash attack where you are inputting the grab.

...From what I can tell using the c-stick isn't technically necessary to do this. You could just dash one direction and then dash the opposite direction while pressing z... though it's probably humanly impossible to do that fast enough.

AAANNNYYYWAYS, to summarize: this is a standing pivot grab. Using the c-stick like this allows you quickly pivot while moving back only a very small amount. I tested this with metaknight and peach, and assume it can be done by everyone. Considering the range these grabs have this seems to be a very useful tech. Moreso for characters with fast pivot grabs though (like mk's :X). You may want to consider posting this in the tactical boards... though I'd refrain from giving it any silly names :p.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
That is exactly what I meant, although as you saw I was having trouble wording everything correctly. I still have a little trouble with Brawl terminology for the most part, but thank you for clearing that up for me. So I'm guessing this can be of some use after all?

Also, I did post it in the tactical boards already, but due to my poor explanation beyond just how to do it, the moderator Buzz closed the thread. Soooo yeah...:(

You made a good suggestion for a name, and I included it in the OP. Thank you so much. ^.^

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
It's difficult to do it perfectly... Peach doesn't have to. However, there might be some benefit in being able to grab from close enough while still sliding away. Idunno though.
Yeah this is difficult :dizzy:. Seems like if you wanted to slide back a bit it would be easier to just use the control stick. If anything this technique has reminded me that I need to look into using pivot grabs more :p.

That is exactly what I meant, although as you saw I was having trouble wording everything correctly. I still have a little trouble with Brawl terminology for the most part, but thank you for clearing that up for me. So I'm guessing this can be of some use after all?
Heh, no worries. It's usefulness will vary by character of course.... at the very least it's useful for yoshi.

Also, I did post it in the tactical boards already, but due to my poor explanation beyond just how to do it, the moderator Buzz closed the thread. Soooo yeah...:(

You made a good suggestion for a name, and I included it in the OP. Thank you so much. ^.^
BUZZSAW'D. Lol, that sucks :laugh:. Would you like for me to make a post in tactical? (giving you credit of course) Oh, and I wasn't trying to make a name for it x____x; just trying to describe it.

Quivit Grab sounded cool though...
I know it did, lol. :dizzy:
Hm, you guys can name it what you want (of course). I was just pointing out that giving something a name like that usually does more harm than good by hurting your credibility and eliciting a "BURN THE WITCH" response (as seen in Buzz's post :p).

I thought this has been known for a while now, I guess I'm a genius.
Must be all that pot :bee:

Niko_K

Smash Master
No I didn't, though if you watch some of my more recent videos I've been using pivot grabs to connect strings of consecutive hits.

Also, I'm gunna post a new dash property with video in a few, gives peach a boost pivot grab.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Sweet. I think I remember seeing something of the sort in your match against Falcon. So do you press the C-stick in the opposite direction of your dash while you're pressing the grab button? With some characters, this disables the slide that follows the grab.

the_real_toad

Smash Cadet
Skimmed through the thread. But someone explain to me how this isn't a boost pivot grab plz >_> Falco does this to turn around his chain grab so he gets to the edge in time for the spike ....

it's literally the same, dash hit c stick back and grab >_>

Top Bottom