• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm really not looking forward to 2012.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Agreed with who ever said Nostradamus didn't predict jack ****. It's all hind sight bias. Something happens and you APPLY it to a previous statement. I might as well make a vague statement now and hope that 1000 years later, something will coincidentally happen that fits my statements.

Also, world blowing up on X date is just plain stupid. Think about it, a year is nothing more than the earth complete 1 revolution around the sun. Why should 2012.9 (I didn't really do the math, I'm just estimating) revolutions around the sun cause the earth to blow up? Maybe I should spin in circles 2012.9 times and see if my insides explode.

Edit: If someone were to use accumulated data to predict some sort of catastrophe due to the trend in the data, then I would think predicting the end of the earth is plausible. Good example of predicting the end of the earth: learn the orbit of a comet that intersects with earths orbit and predict, based on that orbit, when the meteor could possibly hit the earth.

quinn95

Smash Journeyman
Oh no!
I just realized I won't see the second part of the hobbit!
WHY!?!?!
lol

I don't believe in this at all,
although I am going to have a lot of pranks:

*Runs down street screaming*

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
tbh I can't wait for the day. I was told about it when I was around 8 years old and I have been curious since.

Ice!

Smash Apprentice
Mayans realized they were wasting their time making a lolzy calendar and stopped making it, coincidentally it ended in the year 2012.

Mewter

Smash Master
They got bored bored and said "to heck with it!" because they had better things to do than make calendars spanning thousands of years and threw it in their ancient Mayan recycling bins.

Cross.

Smash Ace
Honestly, something is very fishy about the mayans. I dont know if it will be the end of the world but I feel like something is going to happen cuz the mayans where very suspicious. As stupid as it sounds, i feel there was a reason why they stopped making the calender on that date and that something will happen.

Ekoli

Smash Journeyman
maybe the mayans just didnt have enough time to finish their calendar, or there were no prophecies after teh 23, but anything is possible so who knows right?

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
On that subject, I really think the Mayans just got tired of making calenders. Seriously, they made enough right?

Maybe they also wanted to end it on an even note. Just like how I bookmark the pages on my unfinished books at the end of the pages, not in the middle.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I would laugh if everyone spent the entire day worrying that it would be the end of the world, and then at 5PM or so it turns out that there was a miscalculation somewhere and it turns out it was actually December 20th that the calendar ended at, rather than the 21st.

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
I seriously doubt the world will "end" in that year/day; just because they didn't go past that date doesn't mean it ends, Maybe they got lazy.
For Christians only:
the Bible said humans would not know when the world would end
For everyone:
Like the days are ticking down and it's the last day and Earth is about to end then we see Kanye West say "Imma let you finish but... The Chinese calender is so much better than yours I think people should believe in that one!"

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
I didn't feel like reading through everything, so pardon if I missed something.

I don't fear 2012 for any doomsday reasons. I worry about it for strictly scienific reasons.

Here's why:

The sun has cycles in which it releases massive amounts of energy. This cycle, if I remember correctly, happen roughly once every 11 years. These cycles also have cycles within itself, meaning some peaks will be stronger then others. The strongest one thus far is set for late 2012.

Now, normally, it wouldn't be much of a problem. But its also coincidently timed with something else projected to happen in 2012, polar reversal. (See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal)

Many scientists fear that polar reversal is occuring at a much more rapid rate then previously thought, and predict it may happen soon.

Now, just think about it.

Weak magnetic fields that normally protect us from the massive amounts of electrons (energy) throw at us by our sun will be at their weakest (whether or not polar reversal occurs anytime soon, we're still as weak as we've every really been during the course of human history) while the suns cycle is at its strongest.

Something like this, but worldwide.
http://www.ips.gov.au/Educational/1/3/12

Now, its by no means catastrophic. Nor would it even nearly mean human extinction. But it'd be a pretty big incident.

But at any rate, 12-21-12 will be pretty bad if people start looting and rioting all over the place,which is totally plausible, with all the media attention the date's been getting lately. God only knows it'll pick up.

Top Bottom