• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm thinking about quitting the IC's

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
I've been using them since the start of Brawl, and I have good experience with them in Melee, but for some reason I can't find myself progressing if I stick with them. After playing so many matches I find myself using other characters more often as counter picks than the IC's because they have so many bad match-ups, especially against the characters used heavily in tournaments. I've literally spent weeks practicing CG's and desynchs, mastering every setup and technique that has popped up since Brawl's release. I'm one of the few people who can honestly do alternate throws consistently, but all of it seems for nothing since anyone with basic knowledge of spacing can stay out of the IC's grab range. They're simply not that good in Brawl as they were in Melee, and I seriously miss WD'ing since it was such a cornerstone of their game. They just require to much work, when other characters can do much less work and reap even better rewards. The only reason I haven't quit them yet is because I don't feel comfortable enough with any other character to call them my main. I'm thinking about just pulling off an Azen and not have a main character. I tried contributing as much as I could to the IC community, but I don't have the enthusiasm to continue anymore.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Wow, you were a great IC player. I learned alot from your posts, but I still can't Fthrow CG.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
Hah. I agree with you somewhat. Heres a previous conversation of me and a friend..

Friend - Hey, some dude wanna fight u, u up 4 it?
Me - Yeh, as long as he doesnt main Meta, Snake, Pikachu, Zss, IC, Tl, Samus, Pit, Sonic, etc.

Rofl, I may have been slightly over exagerating the list but seriously.. It seems as if every match up, were at a disadvantage. Its funny.

I will never quit IC's tho. I mean, I kno its hard, but theirs jus SO MANY reasons 2 play as them. I kno like 50% of ICs pick them up 4 their RARIETY. I mean, that alone keeps me going, Its nice 2 b the only IC in a tournament. Or the only IC in yur clan. Then theirs CG's, Sweet Costumes, Spikes, Damage, etc. I mean 18% Utilt is nice, and 54% Dsmash..

I know, this is jus alot of bunch a little crap im tellin ya but.. all in all, if U rly like the IC's, keep em.
If u dont.. Dont use em.. Or keep in for friendlys.

Sigh, I dun wanna lose a fellow IC. Especialy a good one, staaaaaay wiiittth uusssss.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
But they're the most fun character to play as...Just listen to their side taunt about 50 times and I'm sure you'll come back to us.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
I'm one of like three IC players in my state(including speedsk8ter). I used to **** with them, but players eventually got good at spacing(which is the number one thing you need to beat the IC's), and they started figuring out their bad match-ups and used them against me. The fact that they're bad match-ups are against popular characters doesn't help my situation either. It has become increasingly hard to win with them consistently, especially when I'm doing so much more work than my opponent while they get the better rewards. Only time I ever use them, are as a surprise counter pick when someone isn't expecting them, but I generally use other characters more often. They'll still stay as part of my arsenal of counter picks, but I won't be dedicating so much time to practicing them. I'm thinking about just just King Dedede as my main since he fits my play style just like the IC's did but doesn't have so many bad match-ups.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
Sigh. Atleast continue 2 contribute or something. Hmm, dern Snakes/Metas. Ruin everything :[

Btw yur plan sounds nice, I may pick up D3 mehself.. But I will SECONDARY him, and MAIN IC. Jus sayin.. xD

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I watched some of your videos (at least I think they were you) and I didn't see you do many alt throws >,>. May of been someone else.

I think it might just be that you stopped adapting when your opponents didn't. ICs are really hard to play, and you have to change up your game. The rewards are great though. I have never lost a tournament match with ICs. Not a single match. And I just won another tournament yesterday.

I agree that ICs have a few almost impossibile match-ups but guess what? I don't use ICs in those match-ups. But I do use them a ton. Marths and Olimars give my GW trouble, but I can beat them easily with ICs. Sethlon figured my GW out, I switch to ICs and win.

Alternating characters so that I am always comfertable with the match-ups is one of the main reasons I win.

Adapt.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Yeah, Meta's screw the ICs. But, yeah, keep the ICs as an option Corner-Trap.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Hylian, those probably aren't my videos, especially if I'm not doing alternate throws. My friend records the majority of my matches, but he refuses to post any of them until he can finally win a match.

I guess I won't completely drop the IC's, but there are times when I just feel like quitting. I'm moving the IC's down to one of my alternates, but this means I no longer have a main.

Straylit

Smash Cadet
At one point here recently i was going to knock the climbers down to a secondary and move Olimar up to my main but i chose the former. The ice climbers are of nostalgic value to me. From the first day of Melee's launch they have been my main. We've been kicking A for far too long for me to give them up. That alone keeps me playing them.

My advice would be to not conform to the whole main/secondary thing. Pick two characters of completely different counterpicks, master them, and realize where one succeeds and the other fails. Then just use each of them for countering one anothers' weaknesses.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Alternating characters so that I am always comfortable with the match-ups is one of the main reasons I win.
I sometimes announce to my opponent what character I will use before the Match/Set and purposely let them have a lot of chances to counter pick me lol. That is how I got Wario noticed/recognized at a few of the tournaments I went to. Plus, it's a pretty good mindgame, especially if you can get them frustrated :)

I agree with what Hylian said here. I play as a lot of different characters (Wario, Snake, IC, G&W, Dedede, you get the idea) and I always try to get a comfortable matchup, even if I don't have a noticeable advantage over the other guy. I would rather get an even or slightly disadvantaged matchup against a character that I have a lot of experience against (My Wario vs Marth : evenish) than get a great matchup against a character I have rarely battled (My IC vs DK or My IC vs whoever else they ****). I guess you should gauge your comfort zone and assess if it is worth it to "escape" from it if you think you can get an advantage from it.

My friends banned me from picking IC when I play them because, and I quote, "They have too many advantages, they are cheap, and they make the game unfair", lol. Some people think it's not worth the time to use a character and others think it is too much worth it. If you don't think it is worth your time to use IC or any character for that matter then don't play as them. Just remember that there are plenty of people that do think it is worth it.

Miller

Smash Lord
My friends banned me from picking IC when I play them because, and I quote, "They have too many advantages, they are cheap, and they make the game unfair", lol. Some people think it's not worth the time to use a character and others think it is too much worth it. If you don't think it is worth your time to use IC or any character for that matter then don't play as them. Just remember that there are plenty of people that do think it is worth it.
Man your friends are sore loosers

And to Corner-Trap:
Hate to see you quit IC, but im glad your picking up D3, I just picked him up last week aswell. Never give up on IC, always adapt to your surroundings

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Every fighting game I've played so far I have always picked one character as my main and use the entire cast as my alternates. The whole point of my style is to have one character that I know the ins and outs of, and only need to change when I run into a really difficult match-up. For example in Street Fighter III: Third Strike I use Dudley as my main, but I switch to an alternate while facing a difficult match-up. Like when I fight Akuma I switch to Chun-Li, or when I fight Yun I switch to Ken because both of those match-ups are hard for Dudley. My problem with the IC's is that they have so many bad match-ups that I find myself switching characters way to often. It has come to the point where I'm not even using them that often to honestly count them as a main.

Miller

Smash Lord
Well all I can really say is that you just have to adapt to those characters, and you should be fine. Also, the only 2 match ups I have to use D3 for is MK and Snake

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Too be honest, and I hate to say this, I know what you mean. I find myself playing Falco so frequently these days. I consider him and the ICs my mains. The thing is, I've noticed that I sort of pushed the ICs to the back burners... That has to change, I need to train with them a bit to re-acclimate as it's been a week or two since I've played them seriously. I usually do fairly well with them, it's just, my friend kept changing his character and the CG timing changed and I hadn't practiced enough to keep up.

I feel like at times that I drastically outplay my enemy and still lose. I attempt technical combos and my friend can just be a ^%!@ as Wolf, down Smash me, and kill Nana.

I will NEVER give up ICs, it's too fun playing them. I'm really good at the CGs as well, maybe not as consistent as Hylian, but I'm up there. I just need to practice more against characters I don't play against often. In the end, it looks like I'm going to have split mains, that being ICs and Falco. This works for me, because if I can't beat a character with the ICs I can with Falco, and vice versa.

I don't suggest dropping them, spacing is important yes but, maybe you need to change your game with your enemy. This is Brawl... grabbing is seemingly easier now thanks to better shield mechanics... Ultimately, if you out smart your enemy (mind games?) you will grab them.

good luck . :D

Switch FC
SW 1721 4573 3132
I've been using them since the start of Brawl, and I have good experience with them in Melee, but for some reason I can't find myself progressing if I stick with them. After playing so many matches I find myself using other characters more often as counter picks than the IC's because they have so many bad match-ups, especially against the characters used heavily in tournaments. I've literally spent weeks practicing CG's and desynchs, mastering every setup and technique that has popped up since Brawl's release. I'm one of the few people who can honestly do alternate throws consistently, but all of it seems for nothing since anyone with basic knowledge of spacing can stay out of the IC's grab range. They're simply not that good in Brawl as they were in Melee, and I seriously miss WD'ing since it was such a cornerstone of their game. They just require to much work, when other characters can do much less work and reap even better rewards. The only reason I haven't quit them yet is because I don't feel comfortable enough with any other character to call them my main. I'm thinking about just pulling off an Azen and not have a main character. I tried contributing as much as I could to the IC community, but I don't have the enthusiasm to continue anymore.

I've been using them since 2001, I still use them now. I learned a lot from the boards for chain grabbing, combos, Nana tips etc...I say stick with them still, but you can still use other characters too.

It does matter how you play with them though.

Doesn't matter which match ups are against the Ice Climbers, I stick to it and stay tough.

Top Bottom