• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IMO Yoshi = underrated

KingDiDiDiddy

Smash Apprentice
by no means am i saying he is the best.... nor am i saying that he is a great character (pro level wise). But i just dont see what people say he is the most worthless character in the game. I mean sure DJC is gone but in my opinion some of his attacks got some buffs

short hop to Uair/Bair are both usefull attacks (especially Uair has a lot of knockback for an aerial)

Egg Toss now helps him to recover a little bit and is good for racking up a little damage as the range is all over the place.

Fair if you start it early enough and get the timing right is a great spike and dair a recovering opponent quickly into a footstool jump is also very useful.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yYLbJZt2fOg (here is a great yoshi player showing some potential)

I think a lot of the reason Yoshi gets no love is because he was so bad in melee and people try him once in Brawl and lose with him automatically makes them say that he is the worst character.

Anyone else think Yoshi is underrated?

(Note I posted this on this board and not the yoshi board due to the fact that if i posted this on the Yoshi board everyone would agree. I want some people who disagree because i want to see reasons besides "he just sucks" "he is just awful" "he is a freaking dinosaur")

fluffy

Smash Champion
You do know that in the video, he was playing against a fox computer the whole time right? Let's see how yoshi does in a real match.

But yoshi did get a bit better.

Subtle

Smash Cadet
The fact that hes playing a computer is irrelevant. Its not like the moves have a different effect against human controller players. Human players would surely DI differently, so many of the combos might not have worked the same, but you can still see that Yoshi has many effective moves that can be strung together well.

I agree with the original poster's idea that people know he was bad in melee so assume hes bad in brawl after trying him and failing once or twice. One of my friends plays as Yoshi, and I have more trouble against him that I do against many other players.

To compare, Yoshi vs Mario. Most people think that Mario has a spot in upper mid or lower high tier, but I really don't see anything that Mario has to offer in comparison to Yoshi. He has better throws and situationally better recovery, but Yoshi is quick, chases better, out ranges with many of his moves, has two meteors ( though one is weak) unpredictable movement, a large range of ground and air KO moves and that ****ed egg roll, which is hard to deal with for some characters ( Like my main, Lucas)

I don't think Yoshi belongs as a bottom tier character, I believe that he is a medium tier character that takes a good heaping of practice and patience to learn

Nexus_of_Sanity

Smash Rookie
Well, I've always found him a little hard to control. Egg Toss is decent, but the trajectory control needs a good deal of precision

And Yoshi's INCREDIBLY annoying to fight, just because he's quite nimble

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Yoshi is a beast. You can IDJ to any aerial at anytime. His DJ Bair combos, he's nimble and has good range. His recovery is unstoppable (literally). But his DJ is where he really shines. Before, people could DJC and L-cancel, now it's a new game. But people are stuck in the idea that having AN UNSTOPPABLE ATTACK THAT IS BOTH AN ATTACK AND MOVES YOSHI AWAY is somehow bad. *Shrugs* I like Yoshi so much I might second him or something.

Zek

Smash Ace
Yoshi is absolutely underrated. People talking like he's guaranteed bottom tier is just monkey-see-monkey-do, they assume he sucks based on very early impressions and never bother to give him a real chance. He is an awkward character so you're likely to have a hard time with him at first, and thanks to his bad reputation most people don't look any further than that. He doesn't suck. How well he really places in the tiers won't be clear for many months but I think it's highly unlikely he'll end up at the bottom of the barrel.

Bodknocks

Smash Rookie
NNID
austonwithano
You could be on to something. I completely understand what you mean when you say people automatically brush him off because of how bad he was in Melee. I think the heavier characters like DK and Bowser are having this problem right now, because I keep seeing people rank them much lower than they should be. There most certainly is a Melee bias in there, because there's no way all these people ranking Yoshi dead last in their personal "tiers" have played him thoroughly. In fact, I would bet most of them haven't really played him at all.

All that said, Yoshi may still be a bottom of the barrel character. I think he has potential to be a decent character, but nor would it surprise me if he turned out to be the worst. It's just way too early to tell, and there's way too much Melee bias going around from a lot of the community.

6footninja

Smash Ace
Yes, yoshi is underrated. If people take the time to perfect any character, we would all see them as potentially good. And then more people would take time to use them and get to know their movesets etc.

:034:

Smash Hero
Yoshi is definitely underrated. Definitely.

He doesn't suck nearly as much as I give him credit for.

Hodown

Smash Rookie
Egg toss is a great move for him now. Doing it multiple times can make yoshi almost hover. His egg roll is also very good at low percents and can usually juggle for 21%. I really don't see how he is considered the worst character.

DonKoopa

Smash Rookie
I don't think he'll be top but he's definitely better.

I think he's easier to use than in brawl.

I always liked yoshi though...I mean, he's yoshi.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
Nope, he's even worse. There is no more double jump cancelling or crouch cancelling, which is what Yoshi thrived on and set him apart from the rest of the cast in melee. Personally, I can't combo with eggs anymore or even hit opponents with a counter neutral air during my second jump. Other than that, Yoshi is pretty much the same as he was. There is nothing separating him from what he used to be.

D

Deleted member

Rob thats what i used to think. I kept losing terribly, and i couldnt control him, or combo with him. But after hours of practice ive finally learned that this yoshi has a lot of potential. He may not get as many invincible frames in his double jump, but they are a heck of alot harder to break. His egg toss has different physics than the old one, but once u get used to it, its just as good, and the recovery boost makes his horizontal recovery tremendous. His dair, if u can make openings, can now do alot of damage very quickly, much improved. His bair is amazing, acting as a defensive option, and as a wicked approach. I used to think that without djc, yoshi would be terrible, but i like not having djc better, for many reasons. Djc counter is much more effective and much easier in brawl, though it takes a little time to get used to. Yoshi's fsmash got a tiny range nerf, but it now has way more power and is definately his main kill move for me. His upsmash got a buff in power as well, and with hyphen dashing and the invincibility frames it grants yoshi, it helps him alot with dealing with opponents above him. Dsmash got nerfed, but its still a good move. Uair got a range buff and is a bit more powerful, and with yoshi's new jumping mechanics, u can chase them in the air for another one, and follow up with eggs, and maybe even another up air. neutral air has more range, and besides that its the same, maybe a tiny bit less power, but still powerful. Hope this analysis on some of yoshi's moves helps some of u out. Im predicting mid tier, cuz he definately isnt broken or one of the best characters for that matter, but dont be fooled, he can easily hold his own with any character (except maybe marth =P). If u have any other questions, or if u wanna battle, pm me.

I may have doubted him in the beggining, but im sticking with yoshi all the way! :yoshi: /end rant.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Yoshi is not underrated, I don't think. I believe "misunderstood" is a more appropriate expression.

Donkey Kong. Now he's underrated.

People just don't like Yoshi. There's a difference.

YoshiBomb

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna try to put out a proper Yoshi vid within the next week or so. sadly it will be off screen but ill try to make it look good

But anyway I have beat alot of good people with Yoshi mostly I think because they underrate him and think the match is gonna be easy Ask dmbrandon :]

Top Bottom