• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Implementing Footstools

Badge

Smash Apprentice
People who have pondered effective usages of footstool will have noticed that DJC characters, including Lucas, have one of the best toolkits to capatilize on landing a footstool, but yet I can't remember ever seeing any Lucas player footstool in a real match. In older builds of Project:M this may have been justified by footstools being hard to land and Lucas having better tools at his disposal in almost any situation, but my curiosity was sparked when I read that you could now footstool shielding opponents. Yesterday I finally remembered this fact when I had a bit of time, so I opened up Frame Advance to see what you could do. Here's what I've found by now, hopefully the content here will increase with time and your input:

How Footstools Work
You can execute a footstool by using any taunt input while sufficiently near and slightly higher than an opponent. Footstools execute on frame 1, but only work against opponents that are within certain states. The input will do nothing at all if you're either not in position to footstool or the opponent is intangible or invincible. Against opponents, that are rolling/spotdodging, hanging from the ledge, grabbed/grabbing or performing any attack action, you will perform a phantom footstool, that doesn't do anything but give you upwards momentum, but also doesn't have any lag.
Real footstools result in an upwards jump and recenter the footstooler at a certain point above the footstooled. They also induce 8 frames of lag on the footstooler and put grounded opponents into a 27/28 frames long footstooled animation.* This means about 20 frames advantage! Against airborn opponents, a footstool acts as a weak spike that can't be acted out of for a relatively long time dependent on the opponent's character (~3/4 seconds). Here's a (hopefully comprehensive) list of states the opponent can be footstooled in:
  • Shield (!)
  • Neutral & Special Fall, Hitstun, Tumble
  • Grab
  • Wait, Squat, Crawl, Walk, Run, Dash and respective turns
  • Jumpsquat, Landing
*The footstooled animation usually lasts 28 frames, but only 27 frames for Dedede, Diddy, Link, Pit, Snake, Toon Link and Ness. Mewtwo is an exception in that he's the only character with a 6 frame footstool jump and also has just 24 frames of lag when footstooled. In addition to that every characters footstool animation only lasts 5 frames against Mewtwo.

Comboing out of a Grounded Footstool
First and foremost, footstools combo into any DJC Aerials. At high percentages, DJC BAir kills, at lower percentages DAir and/or UpAir lead into combos. This is also a good way to set up DAir combo chains, should they ever get used.
Other options come from an Airdodge. Wavelanding out of a footstool will give you no more than 8 frames advantage and less against bigger characters, but is a way to combo into all non-Smash ground moves as well as PSI Magnet against sufficently small characters. Also from airdodging we gain the ability to combo into ZAir. As ZAir is suspectible to ASDI into the ground on a huge range of percentages, this should be used with care.
Both PK Burst and the OU-wind hitbox were also able to hit all characters I tested it on.
Against certain characters, footstools also combo into Magnet, but due to how high up thils will leave Lucas, my guess would be that waveland Magnet will often be the better choice.

Landing Footstools
Magnet on Shield into Footstool
A magnet that is spaced on top of an opponent's shield combos into a footstool - +7 into jump, who would have thought? This works both from grounded and aerial magnets, but as using up your DJ takes away the option of DJCing an aerial after the footstool, aerial magnets leave you with less options for comboing out of the footstool. With proper execution, the opponent is in shieldstun all the time after getting hit by Magnet, so all they can use to escape is shield-DI. One thing to note is that you have your Magnet much closer on the shield than you would usually do, a problem that can be somewhat mitigated by chaining an aerial into a grounded Magnet while advancing.

While this allows proper spacing of the initial Magnet, it also requires commitment to advancing after the first magnet, is harder to execute and gives more chances to shield-DI.

Footstool during DJC DAir chains
The initial hits of DAir on grounded opponents combo into themselves until >100%, a technique that would allow guaranteed 0->deaths on most characters if it weren't for the difficult execution and the opponent's ability to SDI (and it requiring to hit a grounded opponent with an intial hit DAir to initiate, with which footstools help, too).
While implementing into this chain can make it more difficult, they may be a countermeasure to SDI. With perfect DJC DAirs coming out on frame 9, DAir-chains are a 2 frame window on lower percentages. Using footstools before the DJC DAirs you can theoretically get this window up to ~5 frames. Due to more required inputs, footstool->DJC DAir being dependent on the opponent's character height and not necessarily landing on the frame after you hit, though, this window isn't as easy as it would appear. Still, even if the error margin isn't noticeably wider, footstools at least can lower the effect of SDI by abusing the positional reset with every footstool.

In this example, Lucas uses the exact same inputs to continue the chain against both maximum SDI in and maximum SDI away. Of course, in reality you won't be able to do the exact required inputs. Another weakness is that continoous SDI into the same direction can allow escape by reaching the ledge. While it is possible to switch side during the chain, doing so will only decrease the distance gained per repetition. I don't know whether this will be useful in the long run, but it definitly bears being looked into.
Of course, simply using a footstool after an initial hit DAir also makes it easy to combo into any aerial outside of DAir chains.

Option Selects
Another nifty, but difficult to execute trick is to abuse the fact that missed or phantom footstools have no lag by inputting an action during the 7 frames after the footstool, which then will be performed, if the footstool misses.
For example, you can option select a footstool->DAir if Magnet hits a shield and a WD away on either miss or direct connection by using the WD during the footstool-lag and the DJC-DAir during the special landing lag of the WD.

Lucas' inputs in both these scenarios are the exact same, the only difference is Fox shielding or not.

Any other ideas? While I'm not sure what to think of the DAir-Chain, proper usage of footstools on shield should make shielding against Lucas an even worse idea than it already is.

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Great post 10/10, nice seeing footstooling getting explored more and more. Only thing though is that Reflex stated it is an 19-frame advantage instead of a 20-frame advantage (he spoke of 7 frames for footstooler and 26 frames for footstooled). I don't really know which one is right but doublechecking would be nice ;)

Contentwise Lucas has probably the second- or thirdbest footstool usage after Wario and maybe ZSS because of their great horizontal air movement making it easier to set up. While Lucas has a harder time setting it up midair, the magnet -> footstool is legit and you are generally better off setting it up from a pressure, prefarably
shield pressure situation, than setting it up from a "floating in the air" situation.

I especially like your post because you give input orders working on multiple options because many very advanced move combinations require a read or TAS reaction time, so that is great to see because it has lots of practical implementation possibilities.

About the dair chains, this is more situational especially against good SDI opponents so I don't think you will be able to do these 0-100%s but getting just one more dair out will made the strategy worth so it is still a solid choice.

Last edited:

nkd

Smash Rookie
Wait so if i'm reading this right Lucas essentially has a shine grab, as in if they stay in shield when you hit with the magnet the footstool is guaranteed provided they don't shield sdi/drop their shield? And you can option select it for when they drop their shield? How tight are the inputs/the timing window for that?

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Yes, except instead of the grab you get a dair. Input windows are pretty tight (mostly <5 frames per action) if they should be guaranteed, but you have a bit more time normally assuming your opponent doesn't react frame perfect.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
It'll be fun pulling something like THIS off, I always knew you got something out of grounded footstool with DJC but never thought to try anything besides Dair. Thanks 8adge, you put in a lot of work for this character <3

Last edited:

Badge

Smash Apprentice
Only thing though is that Reflex stated it is an 19-frame advantage instead of a 20-frame advantage (he spoke of 7 frames for footstooler and 26 frames for footstooled). I don't really know which one is right but doublechecking would be nice ;)
I just double checked and it's 8/28. Might also be slightly character dependent with Lucas having an 8 frame animation or something, but I doubt it (didn't test all characters though).
It's character-dependent, I'll have to make a list.
Wait so if i'm reading this right Lucas essentially has a shine grab, as in if they stay in shield when you hit with the magnet the footstool is guaranteed provided they don't shield sdi/drop their shield? And you can option select it for when they drop their shield? How tight are the inputs/the timing window for that?
They can't even drop their shield, shield-sdi is literally all they can do. The input window is 3 frames, assuming you're near enough to footstool on frame 2 of your jump (which is the earliest possible, because you're not far enough up on frame 1). This gives you 2 frames of error margin for both the jump out of magnet and the footstool combined. It's not easy, but Lucas has harder techniques, especially considering that Chesstiger's remark about your opponent having to react applies as well. They could buffer a roll/spotdodge, but then a missed DAir brings you into an ok position to punish.

The general window to option select an action for a missed footstool is 7 frames. The example I posted also relies on the ability do still waveland after the footstool attempt, so the timing is much stricter - I doubt it will be used, and definitely not in the near future. It's a cool concept to keep in mind for other situations, though, and I thought the example demonstrated it pretty well.
It'll be fun pulling something like THIS off
It sure will be. <3 I'm not sure how much we will be able to use this in practice, but even if it just helps implementing footstools into Lucas' game more, it'll probably be worth it.

Last edited:

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Woooooow magnet on shield cancelled into footstool is a true string?

So what you are saying is we have a combo starter/kill set-up can transition to safely via standard shield presure.

Lucas da bess

*edit*
The dair chains, this is more situational especially against good SDI opponents so I don't think you will be able to do these 0-100%s but getting just one more dair out will made the strategy worth so it is still a solid choice.
This may or may not be true, we dont exactly have anyone who has consistent enough execution with the technique to prove that right or wrong. One thing that is important to note though is that dair has a SDI multiplier in Lucas' favor; SDI from the hits will only move you half the distance that it normally does. Additionally, you have over 10 frames to react to their SDI direction before you must input your second jump, which can move you right or left to follow them.

It's certainly hard to do consistently, but it is way too early to be dismissive of it. Even the best opponents wont often achieve maximum SDI, that seems like it is mostly to show that even if the opponent is near-frame perfect Lucas can follow them, assuming he is also near-frame perfect and doesnt accidently start another djc dair. What pressure/combos would you say are more difficult to escape than this?

Last edited:

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Already beginning to implement this in my game, it's a really good sort of guard break which Lucas didn't have before, you do need quick reactions to do it though.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I don't play lucas but I found this thread through burnsy and I'm basically nerd-gasming. I've been babbling about Footstool DJC shenanagins for like a month or two now and I'm really happy someone with the knowledge/ability to use frame advanceis actually getting down and digging up some frame data. 20 frames of advantage is crazy, do you know if thats for every character? I was planning on making a footstool on shield video for a variety of the cast this week/weekend because there is some crazy things a lot of the cast (mostly DJC characters) can do (Mewtwo has good things, Pika has a potential infinite.)

Last edited:

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
After doing a bit of testing, I'd like to note that I find it somewhat more difficult to do dair infinites with footstools than without. It might not apply to all characters, but a lot of them move their hurtboxes pretty substantially when they go into the grounded hitstun state after getting hit by the dair, making it difficult to position yourself to land the footstool. It seems easier to just do djc dairs without footstools in between since it requires less precise spacing and timing (even though straight dairs requires you to be slightly faster, you don't really have to time them in the same way you time the footstool to occur when you're in the right position; you can just start the next djc dair as soon as you're out of landing lag).

Badge

Smash Apprentice
I don't play lucas but I found this thread through burnsy and I'm basically nerd-gasming. I've been babbling about Footstool DJC shenanagins for like a month or two now and I'm really happy someone with the knowledge/ability to use frame advanceis actually getting down and digging up some frame data. 20 frames of advantage is crazy, do you know if thats for every character? I was planning on making a footstool on shield video for a variety of the cast this week/weekend because there is some crazy things a lot of the cast (mostly DJC characters) can do (Mewtwo has good things, Pika has a potential infinite.)
I learned about footstools working on shielding characters from your posts, so it's nice you saw my results. I just noticed that the frame data isn't as static as I thought and actually character dependent - I just happened to only test characters that had the same data. I'll need to get a list with the data for each character when I find the time, but it should be in the proximity of 20 for every character.
After doing a bit of testing, I'd like to note that I find it somewhat more difficult to do dair infinites with footstools than without. It might not apply to all characters, but a lot of them move their hurtboxes pretty substantially when they go into the grounded hitstun state after getting hit by the dair, making it difficult to position yourself to land the footstool. It seems easier to just do djc dairs without footstools in between since it requires less precise spacing and timing (even though straight dairs requires you to be slightly faster, you don't really have to time them in the same way you time the footstool to occur when you're in the right position; you can just start the next djc dair as soon as you're out of landing lag).
Yeah, the DAir chains are probably easier to perform without footstools on most characters - I worded that paragraph a bit poorly. Footstools have a few properties that could make them work against counterplay, though, namely ignoring shields, resetting your position and the ability to reach farther SDI (I think). Do you think they could be useful there once DAir chains have been implemented proper counterplay has developed?
I also totally forgot that the hit animations changes and don't know whether it's random or percent-dependent. That makes hitting the footstool harder than I had thought, but at if as long it isn't random, it can be worked around. Otherwise, the footstool lock will just work on even fewer characters.

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure there really is any good counterplay against the dair infinite. Most people can't SDI very far in the few hitlag frames they have available, so even if they're trying to SDI and buffer a roll away, I think it will always be possible to follow them with just a DJC. Footstools might become more useful for following SDI if they increase the sdi modifier on the weak hits of dair to make dair chains easier to escape. The main benefit I see is getting through shields and then being in position to start a dair chain or to use another move if that would be better.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
IT'S HAPPENING. I'm finding that my brain is beginning to go for this **** without too much of "Okay, try footstooling him now". I've found that for you to really make use of this is to recognize where your opponent/what situations your opponent likes to shield in. QUESTION: If you DJC a Footstool can you fastfall immediately?

Last edited:

210stuna

Smash Lord
IT'S HAPPENING. I'm finding that my brain is beginning to go for this **** without too much of "Okay, try footstooling him now". I've found that for you to really make use of this is to recognize where your opponent/what situations your opponent likes to shield in. QUESTION: If you DJC a Footstool can you fastfall immediately?

Is this real life?

Badge

Smash Apprentice
Nice one. The DJC mechanics aren't different out of a footstool: You can't fastfall quite immediately, but soon enough that it should feel like it in practice (like 2-3 frames after the DJC, depending on timing).

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Mmkay. I was trying to fit Footstools into Aerial combos to make Dair more guaranteed but it felt very awkward when I DID manage the Footstool.

Everything happens so fast when you do these, haha. Thanks!

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
I ended up footstooling someone today, which I then used a dair, followed by an Up Smash kill.

Dis gon b gud.

T-block

B2B TST
I've done footstool d-air/b-air stuff too, but it only happens once every ten matches or so =)

So far, the most reliable/useful application is as an end to shield pressure... I'm trying to get it so that if I can catch a shield with a magnet I seamlessly flow into the footstool, but it's taking a while to get used to x.x

Badge

Smash Apprentice
@ Badge Badge

Do you have that list anywhere or are you still working on it? Seems interesting
Honestly I just forgot looking into it. I did now.

All characters have an 8 frame footstool-jump except for Mewtwo, who has a 6 frame jump. Most characters have 28 frames of lag when jumped onto, except for Dedede, Diddy, Link, Pit, Snake, Toon Link and Ness, who have 27 frames of lag, and Mewtwo, who has 24 frames of lag. Footstooling Mewtwo also only takes 5 frames for every character instead of the usual amount.

Top Bottom