• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impressions on sonic and his useability.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Get some vids up of Omni's Snake, maybe? You seem to have a good Snake opponent, and I have a decent Ike, so maybe we can help each other with those match-ups.

Marth, I dunno... I'm used to approaching him weird, since I used Peach and Fox vs him in Melee (and, of course, Sheik, if I couldn't win with either. Sonic doesn't have needles or her amazing set-ups, though. D: ), so it might just be more my playing style combined with Marth being changed slightly.

Usmash seems really important against Luigi, and probably is against Kirby. It really does well in out-prioritizing their approaches. Also, sweet-spotted uairs (the tip of the second hit, think Fox for SSBM) seem to beat everything they can do from above. I haven't fought Kirby's dair yet, though. Either way, those matches are going to be kinda camp-based, meaning that you have to wait outside their range until they do something wrong, then zoom in and punish. They're going to be a *****, and heavily tangent upon how well you can space and mindgame, I think. =/
I can't I'm at home for a week and a half... there'll be no brawl for me for that whole time period (sadness)

I'll try some of these strats as soon as I get back... but, yeah, it looks like luigi and kirby are going to be reliable sonic killers

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Just played against Kirby, I dunno if he'll be a reliable Sonic killer or not. It's a really weird fight (think ICs v Luigi in SSBM), but it's not the HOMG OWNAGE I thought it would be.

Ganon is a lot harder than I thought he'd be, and uthrow uair doesn't work against him or D3. They can just midair, but it does set you up for a nifty uthrow chaingrab... kinda.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Just played against Kirby, I dunno if he'll be a reliable Sonic killer or not. It's a really weird fight (think ICs v Luigi in SSBM), but it's not the HOMG OWNAGE I thought it would be.

Ganon is a lot harder than I thought he'd be, and uthrow uair doesn't work against him or D3. They can just midair, but it does set you up for a nifty uthrow chaingrab... kinda.
well, I DID play against Omnigamer's kirby, and he was notoriously the best kirby around in melee... so, I mean, it could be his massive skill that did it, but, even so, I should have at least been able to take a stock away reliably, and I just couldn't get a kill move off ever except through incredible luck. just way too much speed and priority to land a kill move ever.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Aside from Krazy Kirby Kidd, t!mmy, and that random german Kirby. But yeah, Omni DID stick with Kirby through Melee, so he's definitely excited about the buffs the little puff got, isn't he? XD

I dunno, though, I'll need to play it more. The guy I played was also a Kirby main, and he 4 stocked Brown Nite's CF with it a few times, and Nite almost knocked Omar's Sheik into losers bracket, so I dunno. It could be that we play the match-up very differently. It seems like Sonic is going to have to play differently based on match-ups. I mean, I know it's true for every character, but Sonic seems to need to REALLY know match-ups, due to his low priority. I almost always lost my first round against a new character, but after a round or two, started to do well again (Lucas and D3 aside).

Or it really could just be Omni being a jerk to you, haha. I dunno, I'll hafta play it more.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Aside from Krazy Kirby Kidd, t!mmy, and that random german Kirby. But yeah, Omni DID stick with Kirby through Melee, so he's definitely excited about the buffs the little puff got, isn't he? XD

I dunno, though, I'll need to play it more. The guy I played was also a Kirby main, and he 4 stocked Brown Nite's CF with it a few times, and Nite almost knocked Omar's Sheik into losers bracket, so I dunno. It could be that we play the match-up very differently. It seems like Sonic is going to have to play differently based on match-ups. I mean, I know it's true for every character, but Sonic seems to need to REALLY know match-ups, due to his low priority. I almost always lost my first round against a new character, but after a round or two, started to do well again (Lucas and D3 aside).

Or it really could just be Omni being a jerk to you, haha. I dunno, I'll hafta play it more.
well the thing is, kirby plays about the same as he did in melee... he's just a lot better.. so omni was excited... he didn't need to relearn the character much... he just had to get used to kirby winning ^_^.

but really? you guys are still doing 4 stocks? we do 3... I'm pretty sure that that's how it's going to go too since 3 brawl stocks last longer on average than 4 melee stocks.

but, yes, omni was trying to win... and he's better than me, so I'm not sure how it will go standard against a kirby... but I think sonic will not do well.

Enigmatic Ty

Smash Rookie
I think that anybody can own any character. It doesn`t really matter who the you are. It may help though.
But, I think that is how good the person with controller is. Not really mattering who you are.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I think that anybody can own any character. It doesn`t really matter who the you are. It may help though.
But, I think that is how good the person with controller is. Not really mattering who you are.
I don't mean this to be personally offensive to you, but...you only think that because you're not a pro.

I'm not either, but after all this time seeing them talk, I've learned a thing or two. Don't let anyone fool you. Tiers DO exist.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
true dat... but teirs aren't the bible either... the truth is somewhere in the middle. (probably closer to the tier side generally, but not necessarily early in the development of the metagame)

andy6915

Smash Rookie
You got that right about them not being the bible. Look at Luigi's placement on the tier list in Melee.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
How many times can sonic's nair hit? If only once, I'm thinking late nair through shield to u/ftilt? Since the bair knocks them too far away and the fair can't be done late.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
indeed... luigi is much better than where he is... it's becausesome of the pros determining the teir list WORSHIP the spacies, and luigi was not good against the spacies...

... in fact, the tentative teir list for brawl puts all 3 spacies top teir just because all the head-up-there-butts players still love the spacies.

luigi in brawl seem better than any of the spacies in brawl

edit: and nair hits once

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
indeed... luigi is much better than where he is... it's becausesome of the pros determining the teir list WORSHIP the spacies, and luigi was not good against the spacies...
Luigi was actually pretty acurate for his placement (though he should've been above Link). Luigi was good, but he was definately no Gannondorf. There's quite a big gap between Low tier and Mid tier.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Lmfao, wtf are you talking about? Did you ever play Ka-Master or SDSG? Luigi was HORRIBLY represented on the tier list. Ganon could mess him up, but he could mess him up pretty badly, too. Seriously, Luigi was placed REALLY poorly.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
DarkNES, I'll give you pointers later. Right now, I'm waaaaaaaay exhausted.
Open for pointers whenever

dNES, it looks like you are being well outplayed/outthought by the yoshi
The yoshi and I were both in each other's heads... this was one of many games we played. The neutral dodge when he would attempt to grab was probably the most crucial thing I needed to execute.

He won, though. And this was his first time playing with Sonic.

I chalk it up to Sonic wild-*** recovery, personally. I think dNES could be a little more aggressive off the edge, though.
What do you mean by a little more agressive?

OH and I"ll gladly play anyone... let me know.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
dNES, maybe we can play on WiFi sometime in the next few days. I'm studying for midterms now, but should be good to play after Tuesday, at the very latest. I won't use Sonic if you lag, as a heads up, but I can still give you pointers.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
@OP

It's wierd, you seem to REALLY like Sonic but can't stand playing as him.

I couldn't care less about his franchise (don't shoot) but he still is without a doubt my favorite playstyle.

To each his own I suppose.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
@OP

It's wierd, you seem to REALLY like Sonic but can't stand playing as him.

I couldn't care less about his franchise (don't shoot) but he still is without a doubt my favorite playstyle.

To each his own I suppose.
well... I actually do enjoy playing as him... and I like his playstyle... it's just the fact that he isn't particuularly good that frustrates me

Top Bottom