• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improving my controller?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Hey, I'm really sensitive when it comes to controllers for Melee, and I'm looking to try and improve my current controller.

Does anyone have any tips for making 'R' buttons less sticky? My R button occasionally sticks down after an L-Cancel or wave-dash and causes me to shield/roll/spot-dodge and it's really annoying.

I have a Tri-wing screwdrive to take it apart...

Oh, and I also want my control stick to snap back to neutral as fast as possible, though I doubt that's possible.

Thanks in advance!

Anruu

Smash Rookie
You can cancel with Z too if you didn't know that

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Finding an L/R in another controller that you like doesn't really do much.

The actual plastic button doesn't matter at all unless its really ****ing dirty or the controller shell is really ****ing dirty. Or the plastic is warped somehow, in which case you need to replace it. Just clean it.

The spring will barely matter for your needs. Just clean it. There is some pressure adjustment stuff you can do, but it doesn't really make a difference unless you have the hands of a 3 year old girl. Just clean it.

The rubber button that the plastic piece pushes into the 2D dildo-shaped piece of board matters if you want to change how hard it is to press the analog button (powershielding, air dodging). There are a wide variety of ways to adjust this, but most of them are irreversible and you will probably **** up a handful of them before you get it the way you want it. Just clean it.

The slide component that is connected to the motherboard that registers how far you have the plastic button pushed down (lightshielding stuff) matters a lot. Most of the controllers I've had to fix that had sticking issues had issues with the slide. The plastic rubs against the inside for too long and becomes rough, the thing gets clogged up with dirt or something, etc etc. Clean that **** out. Lube it up with something that is plastic safe (I recommend the kind designed for Rubik's Cubes). The friction caused by that slide can make it harder to slide the L up and down, and can make it take longer to go back up after pressing it down, which causes the infamous: "My L/R sticks after I L-cancel or wavedash and my shield will stay up" problem.

So, to summarize:

1. Plastic Button - Clean it.
2. Spring - Clean it.
3. Rubber Button - Clean it.
**************4. Plastic Slide - Clean it and lube it. **************

Note: I put "**************" there because that is the important item. In case you didn't notice.

Bonus: If you open your controller and your L/R has a shield screwed on top of it and/or a metal hinge/clip thing to control the motion of the plastic button... take that **** out. Completely unnecessary.

Edit: Inb4"ohthatswhyhesummonedcactus"

Zodiac

Smash Master
just take it apart and clean it, I do it all the time, works great.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
remember to be delicate when handling the 2D dildo that's where wavedashing magic lies

grim i suggest swapping out the back half of the controller, L/R and all, with another one if cleaning it doesn't do the trick

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I added the metal hinge to my controller and mine has a screw-on shield or whatever. It doesn't prevent me from wavedashing or anything lol.

What I did:
Buy 2 brand new white controllers from Japan
Solder C-stick box of 1 onto control-stick box of other, put Analog stick on top.
buy purple/clear controller
put clear bottom on it after soaking it in soap, brushing dirt and stuff off, etc. and letting it dry.
perfect controller. working on adding LED's atm.

Top Bottom