• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In a free-for-all match...

Gaaraofthesand1337

Smash Cadet
How should i handle getting double teamed? I usually play 3 player free for all (b/c my friends dont want to do 1v1s...) and one of my friends always targets me, while the other one is a tad more fair than the first. How do i handle this? Its no fun - I've tried everything i can think of, but whenever i go to attack, they stop whatever they were doing and combo me from 0 to ~80 percent. Any advice? Thanks

salaboB

Smash Champion
Retreat, and when the one who always comes for you does it knock them away. If you make sure to stay near the edges, that should send them back into the other friend, who should then attack them.

Not as fun as just fighting, but if you've got someone chasing you around and you can't just ignore them then it should work.

Gaaraofthesand1337

Smash Cadet
Great minds think alike lol yeah i tried that many, many times, but if i retreat from them, the one who doesnt always come for me says i'm camping (wtf) and they both swarm me with attacks - and when he doesnt say that, and i retreat and hit one friend back, the other attacks me during my attack lag/etc- in other words, whenever i attack, i am attacked if its physically possible. and i hate it. a lot - i destroy them both in 1v1s but always lose, obviously, in this free for all

Oh and if i'm ahead in lives by some miracle, they even more visibly team me, and when i ask wtf, they say they need to even it out - when i have 1 life to their 2 each, and they visibly team me, they say they need to finish off the last place person! Its crazy

salaboB

Smash Champion
Then you're screwed, because you're playing with people who don't want a fair fight.

Go ahead and make it a team battle, put them both on the same team, and turn friendly fire on. At least then it'll be easier for you to identify what's really going on.

Gaaraofthesand1337

Smash Cadet
Haha good idea i'll suggest that next time, and they'll deny it of course, and thats when i pull out my replayes hehehe cant deny facts

Any one else?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Actually, that's WHY FFA is so bad.

That's the best strategy, it devolves into unofficial teams with a very real possibility of 3 vs. 1. Or 2 vs. 1. That and teams are generally established before the game starts.

I'd advise planking.

Gaaraofthesand1337

Smash Cadet
Yeah, i've also tried planking, but if i do this, they complain and moan and one goes off the edge to get me, while the other waits for me near the edge

I have also tried F-smashing all the time w/ike and it worked for a while, but it was mostly luck, so it wasnt that fun lol (i've been at this for a while)

I used to be able to handle 2v1 in melee as shiek/falco/marth, but sadly i cant now

I really wtf my friends when i throw one onto the other, and they walk right past them to continue attacking me lol its made me hate this game

I'm always suggesting 1v1, but they lose so they obviously dont want to

A favorite of mine now is Marth's counter, because i know they are going to attack me lol

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Abuse a really cheap move that can affect both of them (as Ness I love PK fire in FFAs and doubles).

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
be snake and grenade counter the **** out of them, just spam it everywhere, also snakes lastability should help out alot.

and since snake is so powerful you can just keep hitting them away and fighting them one on one.
I've won many a 2v1 this way, look snake up, you wont regret it.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Yeah, i've also tried planking, but if i do this, they complain and moan and one goes off the edge to get me, while the other waits for me near the edge
If they complain and moan, then say, "sfu scrub" (obviously, in a somewhat nicer manner, but whatever), and continue planking.

Anyway, if one goes off the ledge, that means they're separated, perfect situation for gimp kills, especially if you're playing MK.

I really wtf my friends when i throw one onto the other, and they walk right past them to continue attacking me lol its made me hate this game

I'm always suggesting 1v1, but they lose so they obviously dont want to

A favorite of mine now is Marth's counter, because i know they are going to attack me lol
Seriously? Find better people to play with, whatever their other attributes when it comes to gaming these guys are scrubs.

Just do something else with these friends.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Your friends sound like ***gots that are forcing you to lose.

How in the world can they possibly try to triple team you then get mad when you try to defend yourself?

Madness I tell you.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
How should i handle getting double teamed?
1) You stop playing FFAs.
2) Why is this in Tactical Discussion?

There is no such thing as tactics in FFAs. Unless the people you are facing are at a level considerably lower than yours, there's no such thing as tactical FFAs. Whatever you do, if they feel like being *******s or just wanting to best you, they can just gang up on you.

And what are you going to do then? You're going to die.

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
1) You stop playing FFAs.
2) Why is this in Tactical Discussion?

There is no such thing as tactics in FFAs. Unless the people you are facing are at a level considerably lower than yours, there's no such thing as tactical FFAs. Whatever you do, if they feel like being *******s or just wanting to best you, they can just gang up on you.

And what are you going to do then? You're going to die.
Why post if you're just going to be a smart aleck? Offer useful advance related to the topic or just don't post at all. And check your definition of "tactics." Tactics are "a procedure or set of maneuvers engaged in to achieve an end, an aim, or a goal." So of course there are tactics in any Brawl mode.

Topic:
What character do you use TC? I agree with the above information that spammy moves are good. Pikachu is pretty good for this because he has Thunder, d-smash, QA, and all that. So find your character's best moves to just get people off of you (preferably on both sides) and use those.

Just act like Neo. Eh beats up tons of bad guys and doesn't afraid of anything.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why post if you're just going to be a smart aleck? Offer useful advance related to the topic or just don't post at all. And check your definition of "tactics." Tactics are "a procedure or set of maneuvers engaged in to achieve an end, an aim, or a goal." So of course there are tactics in any Brawl mode.
There are no working tactics unless the opponents you are facing are of a much lower level than you are if they choose to gang up on you. Plain and simple.

Dual combos, dual edgeguarding. If you try to hit one of them, you'll get hit by the other (if they're smart and go at you both at the same time). If you get hit off the stage, one can man the edge while the other goes after you directly, making it almost impossible for you to recover (unless they suck).

If you get hit and the other is in close proximity, they can combo you from it. Heck, they could even go for the infamous "team" combos of grab -> Peach's full Dsmash or Grab -> Rest, Grab -> rapid jabs.

The point is that in FFAs, the only way to win against people who gang up on you is to be considerably better than the opposition. And short of just going out and getting new people to play FFAs against, there's no working strategies for him to be found.

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
There are no working tactics unless the opponents you are facing are of a much lower level than you are if they choose to gang up on you. Plain and simple.

Dual combos, dual edgeguarding. If you try to hit one of them, you'll get hit by the other (if they're smart and go at you both at the same time). If you get hit off the stage, one can man the edge while the other goes after you directly, making it almost impossible for you to recover (unless they suck).

If you get hit and the other is in close proximity, they can combo you from it. Heck, they could even go for the infamous "team" combos of grab -> Peach's full Dsmash or Grab -> Rest, Grab -> rapid jabs.

The point is that in FFAs, the only way to win against people who gang up on you is to be considerably better than the opposition. And short of just going out and getting new people to play FFAs against, there's no working strategies for him to be found.
OK, that made sense. The way you said it before, I thought you simply meant there were no tactics at all. I would agree there probably aren't many (if any) working tactics against decent players.

salaboB

Smash Champion
They don't have to be a lot lower level than you, just a bit. Friendly fire being on (ie, FFA -- they don't get free team attacks) can weaken their ability to attack at the same time, and if you are in fact better than both of them can let you pull them into situations where they'll accidentally punish each other for you. Also, projectiles are more effective in a 2v1 situation like that because if the near opponent dodges, the other is often caught off guard and more likely to suffer the damage.

It does require the solo player to be more skilled, but not as much more skilled as if it were a 2v1 team match with friendly fire off. Plus, it sounds like these guys like to *pretend* they're doing a FFA so occasional free hits between them should also be happening.

If you remember that they're basically a team against you and count them occasionally hitting each other as a bonus, things should go better -- the feeling of fighting a 3 player FFA is a lot different than fighting a 2v1, so your mindset will impact how well you do (Like when you let down your guard for incoming attacks, etc.).

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
They don't have to be a lot lower level than you, just a bit. Friendly fire being on (ie, FFA -- they don't get free team attacks) can weaken their ability to attack at the same time, and if you are in fact better than both of them can let you pull them into situations where they'll accidentally punish each other for you.
Then they would be of the "suck" category (a category I happened to mention last post). So they've have to either be considerably worse or simply suck.

Also, his opponents are obviously better than the "Can't do stuff without accidentally killing each other all the time"-category since he's having problems with them.

Someone7

Smash Apprentice
If I were you, I would just consider it good practice against 2v1, which happens in real tournament situations when your partner is dead. It can be frustrating to lose, but you know it isn't a fair fight anyway, so why care? If you win, it just means you're that much more of a badass than them.

Gaaraofthesand1337

Smash Cadet
Thanks for all the advice guys - My mains are Falco, Marth and Pit, but in FFA i am awful as Marth and Falco, so i usually use Pit - I actually won most of the matches because they were getting predictable on attacking me; and then they refused to play against me when if i'm using Pit because i spam arrows, which is not true, and not even really possible when getting teamed - this led me to pikachu (not snake yet, which i must try...) and mk and ike and kirby (for the up-b mostly). These all drew complaints and protests and boycots, even though they played most of these characters before-"pikachus moves are cheap" and "meta-knight needs to be banned b/c of this" lol and "ike's hits are lucky" and "kirby is too strong" etc - its a nightmare... if i get thrown into another of snake's or ddd's fsmashes...

I love when it comes down to 1v1 in the end though, because i'm usually down a life, and i catch up and win about half of the time against 1 and 99% of the time against the other
Oh and a little off topic, i have this wierd thing about wifi play, where even if there's the slightest bit of almost un-noticeable lag, it throws me off a lot, like i hardly ever win 1v1 online, whereas i 90% win it normally-its odd

I'm sure some of this may sound like i'm exaggerating, but trust me, i wish i was
And thanks again for all the replies; its nice to hear people not saying i'm lying or paranoid lol

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Thanks for all the advice guys - My mains are Falco, Marth and Pit, but in FFA i am awful as Marth and Falco, so i usually use Pit - I actually won most of the matches because they were getting predictable on attacking me; and then they refused to play against me when if i'm using Pit because i spam arrows, which is not true, and not even really possible when getting teamed - this led me to pikachu (not snake yet, which i must try...) and mk and ike and kirby (for the up-b mostly). These all drew complaints and protests and boycots, even though they played most of these characters before-"pikachus moves are cheap" and "meta-knight needs to be banned b/c of this" lol and "ike's hits are lucky" and "kirby is too strong" etc - its a nightmare... if i get thrown into another of snake's or ddd's fsmashes...
Sounds like the friends you're playing against are johners & scrubs. Really? Kirby is just "too strong"? Give me a break.

I say either find new people to play against or just go all-out and kick their a**es with the character of your choice. At the rate you're going, they'll only let you play CF -- and then they'll complain he's "too manly."

Mith_

Smash Champion
At the rate you're going, they'll only let you play CF -- and then they'll complain he's "too manly."
I'd sig that if I wouldn't get an infraction every other post >.>

Anyways if you want to solve the problem of getting jumped then only invite one of them to your house then you don't have to worry about FFAs.

A-Luc

Smash Rookie
Believe me, I have the same problem with my friends. Hopefully the people you're facing are a little touched in the head, and if by chance one of your other friends hits them, then they forget about you. Either that, or just attempt to wail on them. :p

AAP

Smash Journeyman
take sonic and stall under the stage until they get bored and fight each other and if they john about that tell them you'll come up once they start fighting.

Tianxiazhai

Smash Journeyman
Answer:
Hyrule Temple.
MetaKnight. Fly around till they get pissed and fight eachother.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Just ledge camp them with Metaknight. The one who always goes for you will get trashed every time and the other one you can take care of later, and if he wants to join in and try to double team you, on the edge, Metaknight can handle it.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Better yet, Find new people to brawl with.If you can't then pick someone with great Characters like Snake and Meta knight.

Tenki

Smash Hero
>_>;

Keep them close to each other.

If they suck, they'll hit each other.

If not, it'll discourage them from going 'all out' on you. That is, unless they have some sort of synch plan where they have perfect timing, placement, and followup to your DI or something lol.

Top Bottom