• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In desperate need of a new controller

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
As I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit, I realized that there are no 64 bit drivers for PS3 controllers, which is what I use to play online smash (No way I'm wasting my N64 controllers on kaillera). And the only methods of getting a ps3 to work on my specific OS require 30 steps MINIMUM (I tried basically all of them and none worked).

In the past before I used the ps3 controller I used this controller:

First one I had started getting ghost movement on the left joystick regardless of deadzone, so I thought it was a fluke and I bought a second and the same exact thing happened eventually. Can anyone suggest me a similar style controller that's USB or for PC that will last a lot longer? (Hopefully it's cheap too).

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
Shot in the dark here, but for my friend to get his homemade xbox controller to work with win7 64 bit you have to allow devices without proper driver settings to run, which you can change during startup. Or maybe it is allow devices without a certified signature. I dunno. I'd test it out for you but I have neither 64bit or a ps3 controller.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Shot in the dark here, but for my friend to get his homemade xbox controller to work with win7 64 bit you have to allow devices without proper driver settings to run, which you can change during startup. Or maybe it is allow devices without a certified signature. I dunno. I'd test it out for you but I have neither 64bit or a ps3 controller.
Yeah that's one of the methods that I found out about. Except that you have to press F8 and do that process every single time you turn on your computer or else you get a BSOD. Not my idea of convenient.

Uh... why?
I don't want to go through the process of constantly tweaking controller settings in order to perfectly emulate the n64 controller. Oh, and I'd rather use a controller that will last longer than a month while I can, and rather save the n64 controllers for actual console play.

DMoogle

A$
It takes about a year of regular use before my N64 joysticks wear out, and I only have to re-calibrate the joystick every month or so.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
People should wait before upgrading to a new, untested Windows, chances are its full of errors and incompatibilities, that will get fixed as long as time passes.

Also DMoogle, I dont think a N64 joystick in PERFECT shape lasts a year, more like 3 or 4 months.

dandan

Smash Lord
i have this controller

though i do not use it for smash, it had seen some rough times, and endured them all,
but i do not know how hard you play. anyhow, i have this and i really like it.
and it only costs about 20$.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
if you still have your ps2 controllers try a playstation to usb adaptor. i got one a few years ago at radioshack and its perfect. i dont think radioshack makes them anymore but i found one that looks exactly like mine aside from the radioshack logo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Playstation-PS-...tZVideo_Games_Accessories?hash=item2c51f4f835
I was actually thinking about just buying a cheap new ps2 controller and using that adapter (I have one actually). But how mushy are the buttons on the ps2 controller? I had an old used one that was my first controller for kaillera and it worked fine until the joystick just got really loose and worn out and the buttons became even mushier.

Frogles

Smash Ace
eh the buttons on my old ps2 controllers got mushy and the triangle and square buttons stopped working at one point. this was after years of use though. i opened it up and put a tiny piece of paper inside the actual buttons and the problem was fixed. my analog skin actually came off but i just glued it back on. i'm probably too rough with my controllers lol.

ps2 controllers are often very different on the inside. i remember opening up my black controller (bought a few months after my blue one) and it was very different than the blue one was on the inside. these controllers were both bought 3-4 years ago. the new ones may not have a problem with mushy buttons. i got a new silver one a few months ago and its still perfect after my analog smashing and djc bull****.

firo

Smash Ace
An Xbox 360 controller works pretty well for smash, and it requires no setup in Windows 7. It is a bit more expensive, but it can last long.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
http://www.google.com/products/cata...ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBgQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers

The nyko airflo is a pretty nice controller, I used to use that when I started on kaillera. The fan goes out in less then a week but the rest of the controller is pretty solid. DJC is a different process with these controllers than on N64, but it's easy to adapt to and I don't think you play any djc characters anyway.
lol I had the controller for years and the fan never went out.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
An Xbox 360 controller works pretty well for smash, and it requires no setup in Windows 7. It is a bit more expensive, but it can last long.
This.

I know you don't own a xbox 360 console but if you do have the cash to invest $50-60 on a xbox 360 controller, you should DO IT. The Xbox 360 controller is better than the gamecube controller(despite the hax DI), and the ps2 controller. It's really sturdy and the joystick doesn't wear out as easily.

I'd get the wired one and not the wireless one. (unless you plan to buy batteries forever or you buy the rechargeable pack)

I too recently upgraded my system specs and installed windows 7 64 bit. All I did was plug in my controller and it was immediately found and the correct drivers were installed. (without bloatware too, cause the xbox 360 controller for windows driver CD comes with bloatware that uses up resources while windows 7 installs ONLY the drivers.)

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Nope.

There is a subtle difference between the wired and wireless one, though.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
the 360 controler i have works fine, a little funky to get used to since the buttons are all in wierd places, but the things works great.

good luck breaking one too, lol

Skrlx

Smash Champion
OH YEAH. You HAVE to break it in before it feels comfortable.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
I have a ps2 controller like that picture of yours and I have no idea how to play with that, really. The analog is way to fat and the d-pad works really bad. Any tips?

novakane

Smash Cadet
I have a ps2 controller like that picture of yours and I have no idea how to play with that, really. The analog is way to fat and the d-pad works really bad. Any tips?
I use a ps2 contoller too and the d-pad works fine. Really easy to di with, I even beat you with it

k3vsdk

Smash Rookie
Heres a perfect working driver for PS3 controllers, i use it myself (x64 inclusive);

http://www.motioninjoy.com/download

It took me awhile to find though, but its great. Previously i could just find terribly unreliable methods. Just make sure you read the instructions because there is a couple of steps depending on if you want just USB or bluetooth.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Heres a perfect working driver for PS3 controllers, i use it myself (x64 inclusive);

http://www.motioninjoy.com/download

It took me awhile to find though, but its great. Previously i could just find terribly unreliable methods. Just make sure you read the instructions because there is a couple of steps depending on if you want just USB or bluetooth.
x64 users need to restart their computers now. Hold F8 upon startup and choose the "Disable Driver Signing Enforcement" option (keep in mind that you will have to do this every time you restart your computer if you want to use unsigned drivers. I feel that this is currently the easiest and most simple method to do this)

Yeah... I'm not going through this every time I turn on my computer. I always like to turn on my computer, walk away a few minutes, and then come back when it's all loaded up. I don't want to have to sit there to babysit my computer every time on boot up just so it doesn't catch itself into a repeating BSOD loop.

DMoogle

A$
x64 users need to restart their computers now. Hold F8 upon startup and choose the "Disable Driver Signing Enforcement" option (keep in mind that you will have to do this every time you restart your computer if you want to use unsigned drivers. I feel that this is currently the easiest and most simple method to do this)

Yeah... I'm not going through this every time I turn on my computer. I always like to turn on my computer, walk away a few minutes, and then come back when it's all loaded up. I don't want to have to sit there to babysit my computer every time on boot up just so it doesn't catch itself into a repeating BSOD loop.
ReadyDriver Plus (it's free) will do it automatically. I used it for PeerGuardian 2 before Peerblock came out.

firo

Smash Ace
Yeah, I have used readydriver plus in the past, and it does work well. It adds a couple seconds to start up, but it does disable the driver signature enforcement automatically.

I personally found the 360 controller to be pretty similar to the n64 one, the only differences being is that the buttons are a little further away and two of the c-buttons have to be mapped to the d-pad.

k3vsdk

Smash Rookie
If thats a problem, then you must be pretty lazy, it takes five seconds. If rebooting takes incredibly long for you i recommend cleanup or reformatting, you mustve accumulated some junk thats slowing it down, Win7 especially boots pretty **** quick.

I dont know what you mean by repeating BSOD loop, it just doesnt work if its not in the correct mode, theres no BSOD.

EDIT: Why is "d.a.m.n" filtered

ShinGaruda

Smash Journeyman
Just get a PSX/PS2 to USB converter, and a controller. In my experience, PSX controllers have harder buttons, and last longer. Dunno why I didn't just tell you this in Steam but oh well.

Top Bottom