• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

in the early days

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
in the early days of smash, i used to pick hyrule temple with marth and constantly up B people in the air at lighning speed and I thought it was broken, just like his fair. Fire Emblem music must be playing, as it's better than regular hyrule music.

i also mained mewtwo first two years of melee, fun fact!

wut did U all do?

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
lol this is a great thread.

I used to spam drillshines that I would never L-cancel, mainly because I didn't know how, and I also used to play Luigi just because I could wavedash with him, which meant you were top **** back in the days of my playing.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
haha, cute thread m2k.

Same with Fastfox, I used to main Luigi and I thought I was the hugest beast because I could wavedash.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
My best memory of early Melee was when people thought Roy was better than Marth :laugh:.

I also remember trying to main Game and Watch because I could wavedash with him. And how all my causal friends thought the Ice Climbers were the worst character in the game.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
My best memory of early Melee was when people thought Roy was better than Marth :laugh:.

I also remember trying to main Game and Watch because I could wavedash with him. And how all my causal friends thought the Ice Climbers were the worst character in the game.

ROY HAS TEH PHYER

he's still better than marth in theory.

game set

Smash Apprentice
in the early days of smash, i used to pick hyrule temple with marth and constantly up B people in the air at lighning speed and I thought it was broken, just like his fair. Fire Emblem music must be playing, as it's better than regular hyrule music.

i also mained mewtwo first two years of melee, fun fact!

wut did U all do?
that was exactly how i played after i got marth, before that i would go on link and stand next to a wall and up b as soon as someone came.

i used to think up b was the best.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
ive always mained fox lol
i spammed dash attacks, almost never grabbed and when i actually did i'd do my inescapeable dthrow->dtilt combo
i only played huryle temple and corneria lawl

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Ice Climbers were top Top tier for me lol mainly because there were 2 of them and so my friends and I would ban them from play. Then I just went with Link/Samus and spammed UpB out of shield lol

And isn't it spelled Ph1r3??? But seriously lol what is this bull that Roy isn't better than Marth?

Retroking2000

Smash Master
when i started playing i used to spam >B with roy all the time i thought he was the best char in the game .

i thought i could wavedash but all i was doing is full jumping airdodging ,

when i upb'd ppl i shouted Fire Shoryuken

man i was so stupid back then

Kenji_x

Smash Rookie
Young Link at Pokemon Stadium camping with bombs and arrows all day, and Roy f-smash(fully charged!!!) spamming at Hyrule and Corneria.... '01 was so cash >.>

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Cute thread indeed, good idea M2K =p

When I started playing smash, I used Kirby and spammed Down B. Then one of my friend discovered he could outspam me with Pikachu's lightning.
Then I discovered that Ganon Up smash could deal 53% and I thought it was the obvious key to victory, and mained him.
Same thing with Puff's rest later. I didn't even comboe'd to rest, I just kept moving around my friend's Roy until I could try to rest him.

We played a lot on Hyrule, it was one of the best stages, and since we were only two, each of us often teamed with a CPU.
We also used to think Corneria was one of the best stages.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I played No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination since the beginning of time...

..no, but I really did have items off pretty early on. I would play Link on Hyrule Temple and camp away from my opponents with projectiles, and I would use Up-B when they got close.

N64

Smash Champion
I mained sheik and my friend and I would do bottom of hyrule temple sheik vs. falco matches. It mostly boiled down to whoever could tech more won.

Sheik's dash attack was top tier back then.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I'm liking it already. ^_^

...but in my early days of Smash I would constantly pick Sector Z or Dreamland in SBB64 and play as Kirby doing his Down B as well as his Forward Tilt all day long, especailly how he epically swallowed opponent, I mean how awesome was that!, ah, those were the days.

EDIT whoops, I see that in Melee not SBB64 ^_^

well in my earlier days I mained Samus and whever I successfully hit and opponent with her Charge Ball at high percentages, I felt like the king of the world, unstopable my any means.

otg

Smash Master
Earliest Melee memories huh? Back when it first came out and my friends and I unlocked Marth and Roy we were like "WHOA, more characters with SWORDS! who the **** are these guys?"

We also used to play "Nagasaki", everyone as Jigglypuff on Hyrule, Damage Ratio all the way up, Bombs and motion sensor bombs on High, Rollout and rest only. If you only had 2 or 3 people instead of the optimal 4, set the extra computer player to the Ice Climbers, that way you get to bomb the **** out of innocent native people lol.

Yeah... good times.

JrdnS

Smash Ace
tap b as fast as i could with fox.

and i thought falcos laser sucked because it was really slow.
lol

Fletch

Smash Master
I played Mewtwo, Ness, and Pika.

With Ness, just constantly used Over-B and walked up and hit them with that bat. I used to think this was terribly broken.

With Pika, it was all about the Down-B spam.

I don't know what the hell I was thinking with Mewtwo though.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I remember playing Marth dittos on FoD with the song "Aerials" by System of a Down playing because we would use, well, a lot of aerials.

Amide

Smash Lord
I spammed raptor boost with falcon >__>

I didn't know any techs for several years =D

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
FFA. All items on very high. Hyrule temple.

That's how I always played SSB64 and how I played Melee until meeting some competitive smashers in college. I'll freely admit that the old style was fun and that hilariously crazy stuff happened, but now I find competitive play even better.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I mained marth even back then.

One time I discovered wavelanding. I noticed the reaction of airdodging to the ground and noticed how I could fsmash out of the motion to get a tad more range. Of course, this wasn't effective in an actual combat situation, because I would always full jump to waveland fsmash, so it was REALLY easy for my friends to see coming. I then wondered if I could do it from the part of the jump when I was going up instead of landing. The way I timed it is I would react and do it the instant I saw my character leave the ground, so I would leave the ground, do half the dodge, and then slide a VERY small distance. And I couldn't even do this consistently (especially because I was still smashing with side A, because C-stick was for unskilled losers). So I abandoned it as a terribly impractical tactic...

I would pick fox just to show off the fact that I knew the inescapable dthrow to reflector combo.

I was always the only one on the side of marth in roy vs marth debates. speed is obviously more important than power, as if you play it right, the power should never get a hit. That was my reasoning.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Back in the day the only combo I knew was Raptor Boost to Falcon Dive.

And I almost never taunted, Knee'ed or did any aerial...

You realize how much you sucked.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
As for favorite stages back then? I would always play on Great Bay, Fountain of Dreams, Hyrule Temple and Mute City because of the music. I also thought Corneria was neutral :laugh:.

Played lots of one player mode because I didn't get another controller until late '04.

I also remember getting all the trophies twice (because my memory card got corrupted right after i finished the first time.

I also remember thinking that I was good with Roy because I could kill Jigglypuff/Kirby with 1 Up-B in one player and counter Falcon/Gannondorf's punches and kill them in one hit.

Trying to get world records in event matches and being close in a few. 2,7,9,16, 21, 28, 33,37 and 46. Event # 4 doesn't count because I recorded .6 while most people got .5.

Telling people I mained the Ice Climbers. Everyone made fun of me saying they were the worst character in the game. Then I would dysynch with the Ice Climbers long before I knew what it was, and everyone thought it was broken. :)

Taunting after every single kill, and playing lost of Bonus Matches.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I would use Marth and just rolldodge all day. I'd just camp at one edge of Hyrule Temple (typically the right side) and wait for someone to come near me (They'd attack because I was near the edge and thought I'd just die off the edge--MINDGAMEZ!!), then I'd just rolldodge and f-smash them. I'd keep rolldodging around the opponent and f-smashing.

Other times I'd wait on the fin of Corneria charging an f-smash and refusing to move until the opponent walked into it.

I remember how I was at a loss for words when I played against my friend who actually knew how to play Melee and he asked me "Do you really think I'm just going to walk into that f-smash while you're charging it?" I had no idea what to say. That was when I started learning how to play Melee.

Edit: Oh, and my friends and I -still- will do Captain Falcon only, no items, final destination, knees and falcon punches only. Amazing stuff. You quickly learn how easy it is to land a Falcon Punch in those situations...(or at least how easy it is when you're all inhibited from using anything else).

Top Bottom