• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In your opinion. The hardest smash game transition.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Link to original post: [drupal=3956]In your opinion. The hardest smash game transition. [/drupal]

In your opinion which two smash games are the hardest to change between. I.E. you have played smash game one and playing smash game 2 is difficult because you are so used to smash game 1.

Is it?

Smash 64 to Melee
Smash 64 to Brawl
Melee to Smash 64
Melee to Brawl
Brawl to Smash 64
Brawl to Melee

Thanks for any and all feed back I am really curious to hear peoples opinion on this subject.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Depends on if it's very firsts. Like the first time I played melee after playing 64 for so long, it took me a while to get used to the new mechanics. But that's probably because I was 8 at the time.

If it's not, I would say Brawl to 64. Today I did this transition, and I was not used to it at all.

link2702

Smash Champion
brawl to melee

after you play a watered down smash...its hard to go back to a good one and not get slaughtered....

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
How can you possibly feel slower in Melee than Brawl?
I think he means that after playing Brawl, his movements and play style are slower when he picks up Melee again. I've noticed the same thing happen to me after taking long breaks away from Melee.

I've never played Melee so I wouldn't care.
Why comment on something you've never played or care about? I swear.

Splice

Smash Hero
I find Brawl to Melee hard, especially seeing as, Brawl being the only game with custom controls, if you play it first and do tap jump off and R is Jump and then want to play the other 2 it messes with your reflexes.

But also, Brawls metagame is slower and there is a bit more depth, character matchups and having a plan. Stage control and momentum seem to mean more here, and I got used to having an actual strategy. Also theres almost no tech. In Melee, it's about 100% no tech errors, and having certain techs down, and getting combos and following them up, and knowing what works of course. Also being able to recover is way less forgiving in Melee so that takes some getting used to. I mean I use Falco in Melee who is pretty tech heavy and bad recovery but unless you use Jiggs it still applies.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I find Brawl to Melee hard, especially seeing as, Brawl being the only game with custom controls, if you play it first and do tap jump off and R is Jump and then want to play the other 2 it messes with your reflexes.

But also, Brawls metagame is slower and there is a bit more depth, character matchups and having a plan. Stage control and momentum seem to mean more here, and I got used to having an actual strategy. Also theres almost no tech. In Melee, it's about 100% no tech errors, and having certain techs down, and getting combos and following them up, and knowing what works of course. Also being able to recover is way less forgiving in Melee so that takes some getting used to. I mean I use Falco in Melee who is pretty tech heavy and bad recovery but unless you use Jiggs it still applies.
...just because one game requires more tech skill doesn't mean it requires less strategy or knowledge. Especially considering that the basic game mechanics are the same. Removing tech skill doesn't add depth (not saying it necessarily removes depth, but it definitely does not add depth), nor does it make the same basic mechanics more deep or important.

When you strip something down to the basics, the basics don't somehow become more advanced and deep.

Basically all I'm saying is that it's extremely ignorant to try and say that Melee is "all tech skill," and that spacing, planning, character/stage knowledge, etc, are less important or deep. Having good tech skill doesn't mean you can apply good tech skill in a meaningful way.

I really hope I didn't just start a Melee vs. Brawl debate. Though this thread was begging for that.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Melee or Brawl -> Smash64

It lacks so many mechanics and all the buttons are different.
This oh my god. It's so hard. I went to a tournament recently and someone brought this for fun. It was so hard going back. Plus you know, I kept thinking I had 4 special moves instead of 3. I also realize how pitiful the hitstun was.

Painful. Hey, at least I got Ness' Dair! ...but that's pretty much it. So yeah:

Melee/Brawl -> SB64

john!

Smash Hero
initially i thought brawl to melee, but they are actually pretty similar when you compare them to smash 64. noticeably worse graphics, lack of a side-b, no air dodge, negligible di, complete lack of aerial lag... it's waaaay different.

i will say brawl to 64 just because melee and 64 share heavy comboing, shield pressure, high technical requirement, and such.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Do not make this a Brawl vs Melee debate or I will close it and kick the offenders through the gates of Hades.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
So guys Brawl or Melee?

I think going from Melee>Brawl was the hardest.

I played up through the whole series and found this the most frustrating change.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Slickback don't try being smart.

That's right, I omitted the A Pimp Named part this time. Deal with it.

BSP

Smash Legend
Brawl/Melee -> 64

Better question is which switch isn't hard? Each game is entirely different.

Geist

Smash Master
imo Melee to 64. Melee to Brawl and back is terrible, but at least you have the comfort of using the same controller (assuming you play 64 on console. And Brawl with a gc controller >_>)

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
imo Melee to 64. Melee to Brawl and back is terrible, but at least you have the comfort of using the same controller (assuming you play 64 on console. And Brawl with a gc controller >_>)
I actually think going from Melee to 64 / other way around isn't that bad. They both have that approach -> combo kind of setup so the overall pace of the game is the same. Movement is obviously more limited in 64 but it feels closer to Melee than Brawl's movement for some reason.

I think going from Melee to Brawl / other way around is really tough. Something about the two games are just really different and takes a lot to transition. I have no idea how m2k does it.

Eight

Smash Rookie
Smash 64 to Brawl and Melee.

Everything felt new again and it sucks even more when I'm not using an uber lose stick with the N64.
Melee to Brawl is actually a pretty easy transition. Juz have to remember the tripping, air dodging and change of speed and power of my preferred characters and I'm good. Sometimes it takes a round or two of play to get back into the swing of Melee though...

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Brawl to Melee. I tried playing melee after hearing all the "praise" but I found out it wasn't as good as people said it was. :urg: Plus I wasn't used to using the Gamecube controller since I always play classic.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
I find that Brawl -> 64 is tough because Brawl has 3 times the characters and stages, 4 specials, and they have completely different speed and physics. I haven't played it since I was a Link main, so it may be a bit different now that I main Lucas/Ness. I doubt it would make a difference, but I might just have to pick it up of the VC sometime.

Top Bottom