• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inactivity: Jigglypuff's Anime Club

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
Just use Sing when youre right above them. They dont move, they sleep, they die, everyone's happy for jigglypuff.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Implying it wasn't dead from the start.
Well, the board was killed the same month you joined SWF. The boards were full of activity at one point, and it was STILL active for a good three months after the nuke, mostly feeble attempts at giving CPR to a test dummy.

So yeah, it was dead from your start.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
My input.
The message you have entered is too short.

I've played countless Ganons and I have recently picked up Ganon as a secondary.

I run this matchup in my sleep, if you will. Also, i'd like to brawl some new Ganons this week if anyone can tolerate some wifi.
Ganon is slow, heavy, strong, and pretty grounded. Ganon's terrible aireal mobility means that it's not smart for him to approach Jigglypuff in the air. However his u-air packs a punch (or a kick rather), so if Puff floats within range (above Ganon) a good choice would be to auto-cancel one and possibly follow up with another. If Jigglypuff gets too close, you can't easily defend against an oncoming frenzy of b-airs, n-airs, and other overwhelming aireal attacks. The best thing you can do is shield grab or jab. Grabbing is one of Ganon's best options against Jigglypuff because there are, believe it or not, quite a few follow-ups. Above Ganon is a dangerous spot for Jigglypuff to be against almost every character.

Flame choke (or "Gerudo" as it's called here I assume) is another great option because following it with a jab on Jigglypuff is a garuenteed combo. Stay at bay and wait for an oppertunity to lash out. It also could land you one of your kill moves such as f-smash, d-smash, u-smash, or d-air if you follow it correctly. Will a Ganon try to gimp a Jigglypuff's recovery? It makes a Puff feel pretty stupid if you spike them. Hug the ledge, and stay close to it, because you don't want to grab it with the end of your recovery move; this is any easy edge hog for Puff. Use b-air, the back of u-air, and d-air before dark diving back onto the stage.

PAFF TIEM

Jigglypuff is fast in the air, aireal, and light. You're biggest threat is his plethera of kill moves. You're large advantage is you're air camping ability, it's very difficult for a Ganon to counter. Once again, danger lies above. Jigglypuff can often pull off consecutive u-airs and u-tilts on Ganon because of his slow response time to threats from below. You can rack up damage fast on him, but he could equal that with a mere four attacks.

When gimping his recovery, n-air isnt always the best option because his dark dive has more priority than your sour spot. Stick with f-airs and b-airs and the occational n-air (sweet spot only). Hog the edge often, you may also steal it from him when hes gimping you. Best of all, duck under his wiz-kick and rest as he passes over you. If you tries an arieal wiz-kick, you could even rest through that!

I can safely say the ratio is 60:40 in Puff's favor.

i.e. Ganon can kill insanely early, but landing those moves can be a struggle with all the air-camping.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
Yeah I'm in this *****with the terror
Got a handful of stacks
better grab an umbrella
I make it rain (I make it rain)
I'm in this ***** with the terror
got a handful of stacks
Better grab an umbrella

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
y'know, instead of just ****ing around in here how about some of you help me finish the guide? I can use some advice on how to approach with n-air, u-air and how to land rest. =/

Tham

Smash Apprentice
the easiest way to get a rest against n00bs (real beginners who played brawl just a few times):
just dont move and rest if they attack you (some friends visited me and i nearly didnt move the whole 1on1 fight xD, just rested)
ok, if your opponent does not know the matchup jiggs: try dair2rest
if you think your opponent can be killed by dair2rest, try it, if he smashDIs, ok, just dont rest and if he does not smashDI that hard, follow and rest
this is really easy when trained a little bit and your opponent does not really know what to do

if your opponent knows how to escape you nearly have no chance to land a rest, exept if your opponent trips in the dair and he can not SDI any more, so a granted rest if u recognice this early enough

a quite useless 100% resthit is shown in the following video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hLXtKfBac0

weak hit nair can be used too to land a rest, but it can be shielded, so u shouldnt use it that much

now the most usefull chance to rest in a real fight: see the lag of your opponent, punish it
a very good example: kirbys upB, if you see that he makes a final cutter, just airdodge through the attack and rest him while having lag (my most trained match up is kirby, so i have trained this offline very much, dunno if its really that easy), same with ganons wizkick if he trys to hit you out of the air

all in all you need to know charakters to know when they have enough lag to rest them, training makes you perfect, knowing match ups is the clue
for example if you miss a rest against a diddy and you see that he charges a fsmash (dunno if really good diddys do that if u sleep) mash cstick and controllstick behind and up diddy, u SDI the first hit behind diddy and can rest him easily with a bit training
another way is to tech such an attack (made it 2 times against a peach) and roll to your opponent and rest immediatly, but thats a bit luck ...
some rapids (so keeping a pressed and punching very often, e.g. kirbys jab, dunno if its really called like this) can be end into a rest too, but u need the right SDI and u need to be fast
all in all multihits can help you to get a resthit because you can SDI out of the attack and your opponent can not do anything while doing this multihit

maybe one more way: rest in the air
in former time i made many uair2rests (pound, uair, utilt, uair, uair rest, something like this) but nowadays the metagame improved and most of my opponents dodge or do a fast attack ...
so u have to change your resthabits
one case: you have very much percentage, u land pound, uair, utilt - in most of these cases i risk a rest, although the opponent does not die in most of the cases (well ... in 99%) - but rest gives a few percentages damage and before i get killed and did not do any further damage i prefare getting a 100% kill but gibing nice dmg
an other method: uair your opponent in the air
now there are a few possibillitys:
- your opponent does nothing, just falling - jump and rest
- your opponent jumps, most often your opponent is too far away, try to land another arial, maybe another uair^^
- your opponent dodges - see it, fall with him, rest
- your opponent attacks (**** >.<) - most often you will get hit if its a fast attack (if its not fast you can rest xD) but sometimes a dodge and a rest if both of you fall works

some things against snake (sure against other chars too, but i just have this in my head with snake because i try to kill him somehow >.<)
snakes often recover high if you edgeguard them over and over again (and fail killing xD)
but when they fall, they often dunno what to do
i often come from down and do a uair without any chance to hit, just to mindgame
many snakes fastfall and bair, sometimes fair or uair, if u see that, airdodge and punish groundlag, lag in the air
but if your opponent is confused, he might airdodge, this can led into a cool rest ;) - sometimes ...

on BF, snake is on one of the lower platforms, sometimes it works if you fulljump and nair at the same time below him, his granate in his hand wont explode (i think so) and you can let him fall down from the platform - exactly into your jiggs -> rest

on pokémon stadium (had this against a diddy who visited me in a few offline matches) if diddy is on one of these platforms at normal stage, fulljump nair and rest when he is pushed off this platform

u made a jablock? dont try to jablock him too much, a jab does 2/3% ... dont risk your opponent to stand up without getting a powerful attack ;)
although rest is not the best way to punish a jablock, it is a way, but most often your opponent is in your jablock (one jab is enough, good players SDI out of your jab range) they are in low percentage (and u can not get them into a jab lock easily ... but fulljump nair under platforms are sometimes really usefull)

and in team machtes: if you are not familiar with team matches, just overuse rest at the beginning
in team matches its much less bad if you miss because your team partner can just jab you
im no really good team player, but i learned resting in team battles, its a good way to train

i dunno if this post is really helpfull, maybe you will write: lol, n00b, this wont work - but a rest is hard to land against good players, hard to do in general
these things work against everybody if he does mistakes, but the most usefull thing is imo punishing lag, the rest is a bit lucky ... (like edgecanceled sing2rest xD)

i sometimes see me playing and thinking: why didnt i do a rest a few secs ago? why did i made a nair etc.?
i think training rest is overusing it at the beginning
if you never try to do it, you will never get into resting
but if you once are in a rest-flush, its hard to get out of it

so just try more rests in friendlies, dont risk too much in tourney matches (maybe if your opponent just doesnt want to die and you have less stocks)
but trainig is using it, u mustnt think while using it
thinking: "dair2rest now" is too slow, just doing it because your hands are doing it because its good at the moment
so rest, rest, rest
if you rest much you will see when to use it - and when not to use it, you will learn it by doing, you will feel it on your own and you will know when its good to rest and when better not to do it
if you get the right feeling you wont do bad rests any more and you will land many of your rests, but at the beginning you will fail very often, but thats not bad in friendlies
the more you try, the better youll get (i hope you got the point)
thats the same thing i done with the DACUS, i really overused it at the beginning and now i do it without thinking: do a smashboost now, i just wonna hit the opponent fast, juggle him, punish lag - something like that
be conscious of resting, if you do it often enough you will get rest into your subconscious

i hope this helped and: no, im no rest pro, i dont do it often enough and i often fail, but if i really concentrate and really looking for lag, i can land it quite good

Framerate

Smash Lord
I <3 Tham!

I was gonna mention the Snake rest options. I've gotten quite a few free rests from air-dodge reads on high recovering snakes.

Another use for rest I really enjoy is reading rolls into rest. It's actually really easy. If you notice your opponent rolls a lot, wait for them to roll towards you. I often stand exactly the roll distance away from my opponent if I notice they're rolling a lot. Then it's just wait for them to get a little uncomfortable and BAM free rest. Works great in doubles too. Watch your partner and stand exactly roll distance behind his target. If your partner starts upping the pressure his target is likely to roll away from the carnage.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
the easiest way to get a rest against n00bs (real beginners who played brawl just a few times):
just dont move and rest if they attack you (some friends visited me and i nearly didnt move the whole 1on1 fight xD, just rested)
ok, if your opponent does not know the matchup jiggs: try dair2rest
if you think your opponent can be killed by dair2rest, try it, if he smashDIs, ok, just dont rest and if he does not smashDI that hard, follow and rest
this is really easy when trained a little bit and your opponent does not really know what to do

if your opponent knows how to escape you nearly have no chance to land a rest, exept if your opponent trips in the dair and he can not SDI any more, so a granted rest if u recognice this early enough

a quite useless 100% resthit is shown in the following video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hLXtKfBac0

weak hit nair can be used too to land a rest, but it can be shielded, so u shouldnt use it that much

now the most usefull chance to rest in a real fight: see the lag of your opponent, punish it
a very good example: kirbys upB, if you see that he makes a final cutter, just airdodge through the attack and rest him while having lag (my most trained match up is kirby, so i have trained this offline very much, dunno if its really that easy), same with ganons wizkick if he trys to hit you out of the air

all in all you need to know charakters to know when they have enough lag to rest them, training makes you perfect, knowing match ups is the clue
for example if you miss a rest against a diddy and you see that he charges a fsmash (dunno if really good diddys do that if u sleep) mash cstick and controllstick behind and up diddy, u SDI the first hit behind diddy and can rest him easily with a bit training
another way is to tech such an attack (made it 2 times against a peach) and roll to your opponent and rest immediatly, but thats a bit luck ...
some rapids (so keeping a pressed and punching very often, e.g. kirbys jab, dunno if its really called like this) can be end into a rest too, but u need the right SDI and u need to be fast
all in all multihits can help you to get a resthit because you can SDI out of the attack and your opponent can not do anything while doing this multihit

maybe one more way: rest in the air
in former time i made many uair2rests (pound, uair, utilt, uair, uair rest, something like this) but nowadays the metagame improved and most of my opponents dodge or do a fast attack ...
so u have to change your resthabits
one case: you have very much percentage, u land pound, uair, utilt - in most of these cases i risk a rest, although the opponent does not die in most of the cases (well ... in 99%) - but rest gives a few percentages damage and before i get killed and did not do any further damage i prefare getting a 100% kill but gibing nice dmg
an other method: uair your opponent in the air
now there are a few possibillitys:
- your opponent does nothing, just falling - jump and rest
- your opponent jumps, most often your opponent is too far away, try to land another arial, maybe another uair^^
- your opponent dodges - see it, fall with him, rest
- your opponent attacks (**** >.<) - most often you will get hit if its a fast attack (if its not fast you can rest xD) but sometimes a dodge and a rest if both of you fall works

some things against snake (sure against other chars too, but i just have this in my head with snake because i try to kill him somehow >.<)
snakes often recover high if you edgeguard them over and over again (and fail killing xD)
but when they fall, they often dunno what to do
i often come from down and do a uair without any chance to hit, just to mindgame
many snakes fastfall and bair, sometimes fair or uair, if u see that, airdodge and punish groundlag, lag in the air
but if your opponent is confused, he might airdodge, this can led into a cool rest ;) - sometimes ...

on BF, snake is on one of the lower platforms, sometimes it works if you fulljump and nair at the same time below him, his granate in his hand wont explode (i think so) and you can let him fall down from the platform - exactly into your jiggs -> rest

on pokémon stadium (had this against a diddy who visited me in a few offline matches) if diddy is on one of these platforms at normal stage, fulljump nair and rest when he is pushed off this platform

u made a jablock? dont try to jablock him too much, a jab does 2/3% ... dont risk your opponent to stand up without getting a powerful attack ;)
although rest is not the best way to punish a jablock, it is a way, but most often your opponent is in your jablock (one jab is enough, good players SDI out of your jab range) they are in low percentage (and u can not get them into a jab lock easily ... but fulljump nair under platforms are sometimes really usefull)

and in team machtes: if you are not familiar with team matches, just overuse rest at the beginning
in team matches its much less bad if you miss because your team partner can just jab you
im no really good team player, but i learned resting in team battles, its a good way to train

i dunno if this post is really helpfull, maybe you will write: lol, n00b, this wont work - but a rest is hard to land against good players, hard to do in general
these things work against everybody if he does mistakes, but the most usefull thing is imo punishing lag, the rest is a bit lucky ... (like edgecanceled sing2rest xD)

i sometimes see me playing and thinking: why didnt i do a rest a few secs ago? why did i made a nair etc.?
i think training rest is overusing it at the beginning
if you never try to do it, you will never get into resting
but if you once are in a rest-flush, its hard to get out of it

so just try more rests in friendlies, dont risk too much in tourney matches (maybe if your opponent just doesnt want to die and you have less stocks)
but trainig is using it, u mustnt think while using it
thinking: "dair2rest now" is too slow, just doing it because your hands are doing it because its good at the moment
so rest, rest, rest
if you rest much you will see when to use it - and when not to use it, you will learn it by doing, you will feel it on your own and you will know when its good to rest and when better not to do it
if you get the right feeling you wont do bad rests any more and you will land many of your rests, but at the beginning you will fail very often, but thats not bad in friendlies
the more you try, the better youll get (i hope you got the point)
thats the same thing i done with the DACUS, i really overused it at the beginning and now i do it without thinking: do a smashboost now, i just wonna hit the opponent fast, juggle him, punish lag - something like that
be conscious of resting, if you do it often enough you will get rest into your subconscious

i hope this helped and: no, im no rest pro, i dont do it often enough and i often fail, but if i really concentrate and really looking for lag, i can land it quite good

this is helpful, ill add to guide soon thank you so much

Kishin

Smash Ace
So I've been able to land a rest when my opponent starts being silly and charges a smash attack or something by airdodging -> buffering rest. I'm pretty sure this is a reliable to get a rest when the situation calls for it but with attacks like metaknight's f-smash would the buffered rest still be able to hit before it can be shielded?

I was also wondering something similar about Falcos' lasers. Since they have such low hitstun, would it be possibly say... to rest a falco up close right after you get hit with one of his silent ac lasers (let's say he jabs right after or something)?
I put the jab thing in there because his jab hits on frame 2, same as rest. But with invincibility frames you can avoid the jab and still rest his hand/wing for when he performs the jab animation right? Better wording for the second part would be does Falcos' lasers have enough hitstun for him to follow up with a Jab right away if he silent auto-cancels it if we rest right away after the laser hits Jigglypuff.
I have unanswered questions relating to rest from the Q&A thread :confused:

Framerate

Smash Lord
By the way resting diddy's running attack works (inputting rest before the initial hit of the running attack connects, but resting sometime during the middle of the attack) i think that resting falco's laser seems plausible. Maybe.

Heck I dunno. That match-up sucks a lot, I'm usually too pissed to try anything fun.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
You can't interrupt rest the actual laser, but you CAN interrupt rest Falco's jab, along with almost every multi-hit move in the game.

Seems as if the board needs a reminder of Veril's glorious work in Rest Interrupting.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
im finally able to 3 stock cpu luigi without camp or bs gimps. dude is so annoying with his small pivot walk forward small pivot again short hop nair. i hate cpus and their movement ATs! xd

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
So.

I was playing doubles, and this guy said "I'm going MK" and picked Samus.

Next game I said I'd show him my Ganon and went Jigglypuff.

... now I **** with Jiggly and can't use any other character well.

So here I am. I main Puff.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Hey guys... at one point did you have jiggly go just about even in every match up? why did that change? did everyone else get better?

Icyo

Smash Ace
Hyesz gets butthurt about getting beat at seeks out new mains constantly in attempt to make himself better.

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
Hyesz gets butthurt about getting beat at seeks out new mains constantly in attempt to make himself better.
Wouldn't I have picked a good character then?

I mean this quote IS pretty much true. Except I don't main Bowser and Puff cause they're good...

Tham

Smash Apprentice
if nobody plays jiggs, nobody can tell that shes bad
its a task to try to get better and to show how cool jiggs is
jiggsmainer are jiggsplayer by heart, if you want to win a tourney, play MK - and MK is my tournament counterchar always xD

Top Bottom