• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inception

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord

Info- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375666/
Trailer- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z75o-F6ja2I

Inception is a 2010 sci-fi action thriller film written, produced and directed by Christopher Nolan. The film stars Leonardo DiCaprio, with a supporting cast that includes Ken Watanabe, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, Ellen Page, Cillian Murphy, Tom Hardy, Tom Berenger, Dileep Rao and Michael Caine.
In a world where technology exists to enter the human mind through dream invasion, a single idea within one's mind can be the most dangerous weapon or the most valuable asset.
This film comes out in a week in I'm REALLY hyped for it. All the trailers, reviews, and info on the movie make it look surreal and exciting, and Christopher Nolan (who made The Dark Knight) is an amazing director as well.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
This is pretty much the only movie I'm looking forward to so far this year. I know nothing about it except what the trailers show and I'm trying to keep it that way. That's how I went in seeing TDK and was blown away. And frankly, this film has a much more interesting concept in my opinion. Hopefully it's an even better action film than TDK.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
^ Wait, you only watched the trailers and actually understand the concept of the film? o_O

EDIT: Actually, seeing the trailer OP posted a link to, I guess it's not that difficult. The only stuff I had seen before this thread are much shorter trailers on television that pretty much don't explain jack **** about the plot.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
^ Wait, you only watched the trailers and actually understand the concept of the film? o_O

EDIT: Actually, seeing the trailer OP posted a link to, I guess it's not that difficult. The only stuff I had seen before this thread are much shorter trailers on television that pretty much don't explain jack **** about the plot.
Well, I mean the basic premise of entering into someone's dream or whatever. that's all I know about it.

edit: oh, I keep forgetting about Toy Story 3! I love Pixar but I just keep forgetting about this one. I thought Toy Story 2 was just ok.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I didn't realize how hyped I was for this until I saw a poster for it before seeing Twilight.

"TEEEHEEEHEEE INCEPTION OMG"

S l o X

Smash Champion
Pretty simple to understand; Leonardo DiCaprio goes into peoples 'dreams' or subconcious and 'takes' what he needs, I'm guessing information. So basically he's a thief . . . who steals information (valuable).

or I'm completely wrong.

Regardless, HYPE. I really want to see this this weekend. Anybody knows it's rating? (R/PG13 etc . . .)

People are pretty anal here about rated r movies.

S l o X

Smash Champion
That's good, definitely seeing this this weekend. Trying to decide if I should go with my ex or with friends. Decisions, decisions.

Anyone going Friday? I hate going on premier dates unless I'm with a semi-large group.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
This movie looks promising, interesting concept :)

Will certainly go see it. *crosses fingers* HYPE

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I just came back from a midnight showing of Inception. I HIGHLY recommend watching it.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Just saw this earlier today. Oh man. ****ing amazing. It's easy to believe that Nolan really did spend 10 years working on this now.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I SAW IT TOO. ****ing awesome movie. The end was soooooo suspensful
(the top)
You'd should spoiler tag it
since it's a major part of the film in my opinion.

Me and my friends spent the ride back from the theater debating about the ending. I debated about the ending
not being a dream which I still firmly believe.
Anyways, I really want to see this again. I just can't stop thinking about this movie :dizzy:

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
MM. I did too.
My dad was stubborn as **** because he wasn't listening. He was like.

that was the reality end of story

im like DAD. ITS OPEN FOR DISCUSSION THE WHOLE POINT WAS TO SEE IF THEY WERE HIS ACTUAL CHILDREN! AND IF HIS WIFE ACTUALLY DIED IN VAIN! ****!

i think its the reality but w/e

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
It was obviously reality because the top started to lost balance right before the movie ended. Gravity applied perfectly normally in the movie (unless the architect messed with something, but Cobb wouldn't have at that point), so why would the top lose balance for no reason at the end? It's going to fall down after that.

The only way I see to prove that it was a dream is if the movie tells you, at any point, how long Cobb was away from his kids. If it was anything over a year, then yeah, it was a dream. They wouldn't look the same if they were any older than that. I don't think the movie ever tells you how long he was away, though. And even then, Cobb would've realized it was a dream if that were the case <_<

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZrYPJ4Yc31g&rel=0&color1=0xd6d6d6&color2=0xf0f0f0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZrYPJ4Yc31g&rel=0&color1=0xd6d6d6&color2=0xf0f0f0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This is amazing.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Didn't know there were reviews in the broom...

Anyway, I saw the movie yesterday and was really just in awe of it the entire time. Everything about it was amazing (the writing, directing, acting,THE SPECIAL EFFECTS), and I left pretty much speechless.
Oh and the ending! I was on the edge of my seat, hoping it wouldnt end a "it was all a dream...", and firmly believe the top was going to fall and that it really was reality.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Just got back from seeing this. One complaint... the events were awesome, but the reason behind them was dumb.

...it ****ed my brain. As the movie ended, I screamed "MY ****ING BRAIN!"
As we left, a guy shot himself in the head.

Great movie, everyone should see it.

Spire

III
BRoomer
As we left, a guy shot himself in the head.
What, are you kidding?

Just saw this tonight. The layering is impeccable. I love this film, but have few words to share at the moment. Now Nolan will build Batman 3 on his experience with both The Dark Knight and Inception. Oh my will that be good.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
What, are you kidding?

Just saw this tonight. The layering is impeccable. I love this film, but have few words to share at the moment. Now Nolan will build Batman 3 on his experience with both The Dark Knight and Inception. Oh my will that be good.
Yes I'm kidding.
We were discussing how funny that idea would be, though.

I actually didn't even watch the movie. The previews ended, and I just fell asleep. Has this weird dream that I was watching this movie. Oh well.

Peeze

Smash Master
at the end the theater i was in burst into a loud "awww" like "screw ur cliffhanger Nolan!"
did notice one inconsistency maybe someone could explain:
the indian chemist guy said he left the sensation of falling and tipping unaffected right? right.
so when he was driving the van and the motorcycle guys ran it off the road and they flipped a couple times, everyone should have woken up then. period
also balcony dialogue between dicaprio and mal was epic.

Martian

Smash Cadet
The movie was spectacular but I punched the dude sitting to my left at the end and yelled "F*** THAT HE'S STILL IN A F****** DREAM. COULDN'T YOU JUST LET THE TOP SPIN OFF THE TABLE OR SOMETHING!?" *nut shot to same guy* "ARRRRGGGHHHH!"

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
The movie was spectacular but I punched the dude sitting to my left at the end and yelled "F*** THAT HE'S STILL IN A F****** DREAM. COULDN'T YOU JUST LET THE TOP SPIN OFF THE TABLE OR SOMETHING!?" *nut shot to same guy* "ARRRRGGGHHHH!"
At first I thought
that the top was supposed to be spinning forever, meaning Cobb was still dreaming. But, it could go either way. Before the screen cuts to black, the top begins to wobble, implying that normal gravity's in effect and it will probably topple over.
. But the entire point is to make us doubt which is the reality.

Martian

Smash Cadet
At first I thought
that the top was supposed to be spinning forever, meaning Cobb was still dreaming. But, it could go either way. Before the screen cuts to black, the top begins to wobble, implying that normal gravity's in effect and it will probably topple over.
. But the entire point is to make us doubt which is the reality.
Optimistic thought yes

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
About the ending:

It was obviously not a dream. Besides the fact that the top began to slow, he saw his children, which wasn't supposed to be able to happen in a dream, right?

However, I'm more concerned about:

Saito lived through 50 years of that dream. That was supposed to **** his brain up. He was fine.
Cobb left America because he was going to be arrested. He came back and everything was fine. The only thing I remember is that Saito said he would get Cobb's papers through. That's BS.
What was the big deal about this corporation? I feel like the events of this movie were for a dumb reason. "THIS COMPANY IS GOING TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD SOMEHOW! MAKE IT STOP!" What? So we went through all of that just to give the guy the idea that he can split up the company?

I love how through all my complaints, it still managed to be one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
About the ending:

It was obviously not a dream. Besides the fact that the top began to slow, he saw his children, which wasn't supposed to be able to happen in a dream, right?
I don't know if you can say it's "obvious." I really wish Nolan would have just let the top fall before cutting to the title card. What makes me doubt that it's reality is the fact that his kids are in the exact same position they've been in throughout the whole movie (and might even be in the same clothes).

Melomaniacal said:
However, I'm more concerned about:

Saito lived through 50 years of that dream. That was supposed to **** his brain up. He was fine.
Cobb left America because he was going to be arrested. He came back and everything was fine. The only thing I remember is that Saito said he would get Cobb's papers through. That's BS.
What was the big deal about this corporation? I feel like the events of this movie were for a dumb reason. "THIS COMPANY IS GOING TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD SOMEHOW! MAKE IT STOP!" What? So we went through all of that just to give the guy the idea that he can split up the company?

I love how through all my complaints, it still managed to be one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.
I thought the whole point of their (Cobb and Saito) arrangement was that if Cobb did what he was supposed to, Saito could call someone up and fix everything by the time they land.

This movie ****ing rocks and I really want to go see it again.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I don't know if you can say it's "obvious." I really wish Nolan would have just let the top fall before cutting to the title card. What makes me doubt that it's reality is the fact that his kids are in the exact same position they've been in throughout the whole movie (and might even be in the same clothes).

I thought the whole point of their (Cobb and Saito) arrangement was that if Cobb did what he was supposed to, Saito could call someone up and fix everything by the time they land.

This movie ****ing rocks and I really want to go see it again.
True, but in the dream he could never see their faces. Yeah, it's definitely up for interpretation, but by the end of the movie, I feel like he got a grip on what was real.

Yeah, that was the arrangement, but still. It just happened, you know? Kind of a deus ex machina deal.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Yeah, that was the arrangement, but still. It just happened, you know? Kind of a deus ex machina deal.
That was the point. Saito was the head of a rival multinational corporation, and he was willing to pay any price or call in any favors to make sure the other corporation would break up and not be a threat to his. He and his company are clearly very powerful, very influential, and have connections in high places (eg, international governments). Thus, all he had to do was make a phone call to whoever he knew in the US government or US CIS or law enforcement agencies to get Cobb off the hook.

I thought they did a very good job setting up how big and influential these corporations and their chief execs were. After all, that's why they're both after "subconscious security."

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
First of all, phenomenal movie. One of the very few I've ever seen that I would actually enjoy seeing again.

Secondly,
there's no point trying to figure out the true ending. It's MEANT to be possible either way. The intent is that you can't logically rule out either possibility. That said, the REAL intent was probably to get people to talk about it and come up with theories on what really happened, so it was extremely successful in that respect.

Top Bottom