• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Increase the range of Sonic's F-Smash

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
it's highly possible that omni is mistiming it, or that he just doesn't think it seems like it's near as good as it's being made out to be.
I really hate to be a ****, but Omni's not m2k. He's not even competitive, is he? Throwing his name out is like throwing out, I dunno.... BlueMycon's. Only BlueMycon actually beat Gabe. >_>

Damax

Smash Lord
I tried today... its didn't realy work. the dash starts, sonic insta stop and forward smash. there's no slide whatsoever. Sonic's forwards smash always make him go forwards a bit.

your explanations on how to do it weren't SOOO good XD

I tried to time the stick smash with the c stick smash... nothing
if you let the dash animation begin you move forward from the dash stop and forwardsmash, basically this is just because you can dance dance and can do anything out of a dash dance.
if you wait too much its a dash attack.

do you have to ''dash dance'' twice on the Control stick then forward smash to make it slide?

so far, to me its only a pivot smash, or smash out of dash dance.

LuCKy

Smash Master
can you explain the process a lil bit better guy whho made thread? or InterimOfZeal

i tried the today for about 3 min lol since my friends were yelling at me to try it on my own time XD

but i couldnt do it........like i dont understand completely what he ment,and when are we supposed to c stick in the dash animation? like the beginning of it or end?

ill try again in the morning and if i can do it ill upload it with a couple other sonic tricks lol

Sharky

Smash Master
I'm talking like a 10th of a second difference between hitting the control stick and hitting the c-stick here, and that's approaching the outter range of how much you can space them. It's seriously RIGHT after. Hopefully that gives you guys a better idea of what you're supposed to be doing.

andy6915

Smash Rookie
I'm glad Zeal at least got it and can do it seamlessly. Otherwise, this thread probably would have ended in people calling the yoshinator a liar and this topic would drop off the map, and then it might be a long time before this was learned again. But thanks to his approval, this getting the recognition it deserves, because let's face it, this could make Sonic a lot better then people thought he would be. Sometimes, a few nice little tricks is all it takes to make a characters tier location go up.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I really hate to be a ****, but Omni's not m2k. He's not even competitive, is he? Throwing his name out is like throwing out, I dunno.... BlueMycon's. Only BlueMycon actually beat Gabe. >_>
I'm not just throwing his name out... it's because he owns the game not me, so I have to have him test things for me.

and, clearly, he's not the only one having trouble with it considering that Lucky and that one other guy mirrored omni's comments exactly

Lanttu

Smash Apprentice
There's hardly any difficulty on doing this. Or at least I got it work just by standing still and tilting analog stick to opposite direction before smashing with c-stick. You don't even have to push it all the way to the end, just a very slight movement is enough.

I could take a video of this if you wanted to. Only with a normal digital camera though but the quality would still be quite good.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I'll try it myself next week... I'll get a good vid up too if I can do it because omni has the whole "tv hooked up to computer for easy recording" thing going on.

LuCKy

Smash Master
and, clearly, he's not the only one having trouble with it considering that Lucky and that one other guy mirrored omni's comments exactly
lol i didnt read anyone elses posts but InterimOfZeal since he did it.........and i only tried for like 3 min.Idont know if i posted that but my friends were yelling at me to try it on my own time and i asked that question like at 5 in the morning

.........not my fault you bring omni into everything >_>

lol jk

and lol i think i did it...........but he only seems to take like a full step forward before smashing if im doing it right

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
only a full step forward... you make it sound like it's not so useful... does the step not give him much extra reach

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
i mean maybe im doing it wrong lol but its only like a kinda big step......nothing life changing

im kinda hoping im doing it wrong lol
I agree... I mean.. with the hoping you are doing it wrong... but then again... I don't want it to be too tough to pull of reliably either, but I hope he's doing it wrong so that the REAL technique is actually usefull

Damax

Smash Lord
Okay I've been able to pull it. Its more obvious with Captain falcon though.

you have to hit the control stick backwards and then smash in front of you (in front of you means the opposite direction of where your control stick went) real quick.

its seems like it can be done at different efficiency depending on the timing but it is soo hard to notice.

Drums

Smash Rookie
Man, this would rule if it worked. It might just give Sonic that edge he needs to knock out a good Luigi or Kirby. Although if it becomes his primary method of killing, it'll get really predictable...maybe it can be comboed into somehow.

Drums

Smash Rookie
Also, to those who are having trouble doing it...why don't you just go to training mode and bring the speed down? Won't that at least help give an idea of how it works?

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
Man, this would rule if it worked. It might just give Sonic that edge he needs to knock out a good Luigi or Kirby. Although if it becomes his primary method of killing, it'll get really predictable...maybe it can be comboed into somehow.
I don't think that will be too much of a problem since Sonic's main method of killing doesn't seem to be using his power moves, it's just tapping them over the edge and then gimping the hell out of them. Throwing one of these in for a quick kill from time to time shouldn't be too readable.

fouxs2

Smash Cadet
Godd players don't need the C-Stick, but it's sure helpful as hell though XD
This is kinda useful, it's not like Sonic will fly to the opponent, but the difference is enough to trick your opponent, it's great for mindgames. Whenever my friend sees me running with Sonic he sometimes shouts "Will you reach me or pipe down? Please pipe the **** down!" Since he can't tell if I'm going to use the "long" range stutter smash or the normal smash!

Damax

Smash Lord
Godd players don't need the C-Stick, but it's sure helpful as hell though XD
This is kinda useful, it's not like Sonic will fly to the opponent, but the difference is enough to trick your opponent, it's great for mindgames. Whenever my friend sees me running with Sonic he sometimes shouts "Will you reach me or pipe down? Please pipe the **** down!" Since he can't tell if I'm going to use the "long" range stutter smash or the normal smash!
I fear an increased forwardsmash range doesn't fit in mind games. will I hit you or not? lolz lolz. thats stupid if you are gonna do it, just hit with it. The increased range can give you better spacing options. its no mind games/trick son lolz lolz lolz

also its good players and not Godd.

the C stick is incredibly useful for sonic's spindashes combo. it makes the Hyphen smashing easier too. I won't argue I wasn't a believer back when I sucked balls at melee.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I don't think that will be too much of a problem since Sonic's main method of killing doesn't seem to be using his power moves, it's just tapping them over the edge and then gimping the hell out of them. Throwing one of these in for a quick kill from time to time shouldn't be too readable.
seriously he shouldn't be thinking about it like that. It's not really a new move, it's just an improvement on an existing move. Seriously just because now you can make his Fsmash go farter, doesn;t mean you should start relying on it more than you did before.

as for teh whole C stick thing, it's lust like the x/y button to jump, the pros tend to use it, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do... though certain techniques require one over the other.

fouxs2

Smash Cadet
You can trick your opponent into shielding if you fake the move, letting you grapple him easily, or have him try jumping over you if they think you're gonna do the long smash, but since you didn't, they will be above you. It's kinda a bit of luck but then again, mind games are mostly like that, you really don't know if your opponent will fall for it or not.

I meant good, God forbid I misspelled one word.

Also , it's much easier to say "just hit with it", opponents can dodge, shiled, grab or out prioritize you, you gotta think outside the box.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
only problem is that any startegy involving slamming the control stick gives a high likelihood of tripping....

.... God I wish that could be turned off.

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
good players use the C-stick. convert to the boom stick now.
Sorry, but just had to add that I can't let such idiotic comment slip. C-Stick does not have any advantages over the normal way of doing smash in normal circumstances. Its exactly the same execution speed, it simply requires another button press at the same time.

Its only better when you want to do smash in the complete opposite direction of where you are going. By your words, a player is not a good one of he's not using the C-Stick, which is incredible "noob" talk. Or a joke, but I always expect the former first.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Sorry, but just had to add that I can't let such idiotic comment slip. C-Stick does not have any advantages over the normal way of doing smash in normal circumstances. Its exactly the same execution speed, it simply requires another button press at the same time.

Its only better when you want to do smash in the complete opposite direction of where you are going. By your words, a player is not a good one of he's not using the C-Stick, which is incredible "noob" talk. Or a joke, but I always expect the former first.
well that's a falacy too. some techniques require the C stick. the C stick allows you to do an aerial in one direction while moving in the other direction.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
C-stick is faster. What are the chances that you'd press both direction and attack on the exact same frame and then let go of both on the first avaliable frame? Also helps with directional influence after aerials (anyone who cares about spacing should know this) and not messing up things like uairs.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
only problem is that any startegy involving slamming the control stick gives a high likelihood of tripping....

.... God I wish that could be turned off.
It's exactly a 1% chance of tripping everytime you tap the control stick while grounded. It's annoying, but not a valid arguement against this technique as it only requires tapping the control stick one time.

Top Bottom