• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Indianapolis Melee Thread

JmanJ

Smash Cadet
Hello Midwest!

I'm making this thread in response to the sad state that this region is in as it relates to the SSBM community. I'd like to grow the region and interest in the game as quickly as possible. There are currently just a few players, including myself, who play regularly. I would like to change that. I think there is great opportunity with living in a city with such a condensed group of colleges (Butler, IUPUI, U of Indianapolis, ect).

Go ahead and post here if you would like to play sometime! We currently have semi-regular smashfests on Sundays. Message me for the location if you'd like. All skill levels welcome.

Hopefully we can get to the point where we are hosting large tournaments!

Zenhan Lucian (Zen)

Smash Rookie
Hello Midwest!

I'm making this thread in response to the sad state that this region is in as it relates to the SSBM community. I'd like to grow the region and interest in the game as quickly as possible. There are currently just a few players, including myself, who play regularly. I would like to change that. I think there is great opportunity with living in a city with such a condensed group of colleges (Butler, IUPUI, U of Indianapolis, ect).

Go ahead and post here if you would like to play sometime! We currently have semi-regular smashfests on Sundays. Message me for the location if you'd like. All skill levels welcome.

Hopefully we can get to the point where we are hosting large tournaments!

Yo!!

I've been going to IUPUI for 3 years but could never find any melee players. Mostly here at IUPUI people played brawl and I've junked them in like every tourney for the past 3 years. However the problem I'm facing is the group, "Gamers Guild" doesn't like promoting competitive game play and focus rather on having a comfort zone environment. Which i find it rather contradicting for them to hold these tournaments. Since I've one the past few years they just stopped holding them because they knew I'll win. I loved playing melee and I've always been wanting to play competitively but I would like to start a group up or some meet up if possible.

JmanJ

Smash Cadet
Yo!!

I've been going to IUPUI for 3 years but could never find any melee players. Mostly here at IUPUI people played brawl and I've junked them in like every tourney for the past 3 years. However the problem I'm facing is the group, "Gamers Guild" doesn't like promoting competitive game play and focus rather on having a comfort zone environment. Which i find it rather contradicting for them to hold these tournaments. Since I've one the past few years they just stopped holding them because they knew I'll win. I loved playing melee and I've always been wanting to play competitively but I would like to start a group up or some meet up if possible.
Sounds great man. I'm all about the competition. I just requested to join that group that slomo posted. Hopefully we can get some stuff going on from there.

JmanJ

Smash Cadet
After meeting with several leaders from the Indianapolis smash community (@ slomo431 slomo431 @ Z Zenhan Lucian (Zen) @ kittheshadow kittheshadow ), we have decided on a local ranking system that will: facilitate participation/competition, allow for more accurate tournament seeding, and will give players an accurate representation of their skill.

This system will take advantage of the benefits of both an objective and subjective ranking. An objective ranking has the benefit of a definitive numerical ranking based on cut-and-dry match results. A subjective ranking does a great job of "filling in the cracks" where the objective ranking is limited. Here is how the dual-ranking system will work:

The Ladder (objective)
  • Each player has a numerical ranking, players new to the community will have to start from the bottom and work their way up.
  • Players are able to challenge the person one spot ahead of theirs to try and advance.
  • Challenges will occur at the weekly Indy smashfests; all challenge matches are Bo5 sets, using the Apex 2014 ruleset.
  • Players are limited to moving up or down one rank per day.
The Power Rankings (subjective)
  • Each player in the community will be ranked by a panel of community leaders.
  • Their ranking will be based on relevant tournament results and personal experience from playing friendlies.

Each player in the community will have a ranking for both The Ladder and The Power Rankings. These two scores will be averaged 50/50, resulting in the player's final ranking that will be displayed here. In the event of a tie, the player with the higher Power Ranking will take the higher spot.

IndianapolisCentralGaming

Banned via Warnings
I've been thinking we need a list of short term/long goals for nap city.

I would like to see biweekly if possible with a stable set-up, along with said ranking and move to recuit more and even build up our top players for city crew battles. It's be hype to crew battle Chicago. And to have a player good enough to make it theough majors brackets

Ya Dad

Smash Apprentice
Went to my first Salty Sunday and it was pretty rockin. I will be a regular from now on!

Top Bottom