• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Infinites: Why, exactly, are they allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
but also keep in mind that the infinite removes them from tournament play altogether.
One character being great against them does not remove all 5 from the game.
There's no strategy that goes along with "don't get grabbed".
What are you talking about... of course there is. You play a polished spacing game and avoid grabs as much as possible. That means abusing platforms, zoning, camping, or whatever you have to do to play a keep away game that would prevent a grab from ever coming. There are strategies against being grabbed.
There's no point. Why use those 5 when you have a matchup like ddd? My backup would have a much better chance of winning.
By that logic nobody should even be playing lower tier anything. The point? This allows you to play the character that you want to play and avoid bad matchups.
Bad matchups in any other competitive game are such because of a variety of reasons, be it speed, comboability, weaker attacks, etc.
So it matters really the extent at which a character counters the other? I think this is a moot point really.

All of this is a moot point really, because the characters affected by this still have decent placements by the good players that use them. This has not shown itself to be broken; however, that's the very reason why I'm learning the standing chain grab against all 5 characters, to find out exactly how devastating it is. I'm not about to claim something is ban worthy unless someone really proves it's brokeness, or I prove it to myself.

z3r0C0oL

Smash Apprentice
So certain stages and Final Smashes are "unfair".

But chaingrabbing and infinites are ok? are people THAT desperate to win at a game that they need to essentially cheat?

**** it then, you should allow pausing in the middle of the game everytime you get grabbed then. Part of the game right? its my 'advanced technique' i just discovered.

I know Smash wasnt meant to be a deep fighting game as most "advanced techniques" are just glitches, so i can see why people want everything allowed. But this just means its gonna turn into what happened to Melee, if you want to compete in tourneys, you gotta be a Fox, Marth, Falco, Sheik player. And THAT gets old.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
But this just means its gonna turn into what happened to Melee, if you want to compete in tourneys, you gotta be a Fox, Marth, Falco, Sheik player.
So much for Brawl being more balanced? :V

fkacyan

Smash Hero
But this just means its gonna turn into what happened to Melee, if you want to compete in tourneys, you gotta be a Fox, Marth, Falco, Sheik player. And THAT gets old.
And the people who don't suck will come up with ways to play otherwise unused characters and win.

Take your pessimism over that way:
|
|

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero

Axelguy4realz

Smash Cadet
I read the first 3 pages and this argument is stupid. Yuna is making good points but the Thread creator gives very noobish responses. No one on smashboards should suck enough so that they lose just because of a chaingrab that does maybe 30 damage. You sound like a whiney 10 year old who lost a match becasue someone who chaingrabbed a few times and was clearly better than you. wow flame wars are fun...

AlCaTraz644

Smash Apprentice
I have no problem with Infinites as long it doesn't become over used extensively and then all you see are charecters that can Infinites over and over then ends up making the matches boring and not worth watching anymore.

take MVC2 for example all you really are crappy infinites that are extremely boring and it gets exciting when you see other charecters being played.

as most people hear say just don't get grabbed and play smart if you get caught in a infi that your fault don't blame the infi , only yourself.

z3r0C0oL

Smash Apprentice
Look at the tactical thread if you want 5 examples of 'advanced' techniques.

Mortar sliding, infinite jump, infinites, etc If the Wii had a HD, my guess would be that Nintendo would issue a patch to eliminate those.

As far as the Jiggly example, thats great, i know you can win with other characters, its just not as easy.

Hell, i use Fox in Brawl, def not top tier material, so i dont need some guy chaingrabbing away like if im supposed to be impressed by it.

I can respect some ones game and admire it when i get my *** handed to me.

People that play cheap are just annoying to play against and takes the fun out of the game.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
z3r0C0oL said:
But this just means its gonna turn into what happened to Melee, if you want to compete in tourneys, you gotta be a Fox, Marth, Falco, Sheik player.
Peach, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Samus, and Jigglypuff won huge tournaments consistently and/or placed very high in them as well. There were also a few Ganondorfs and Doctor Marios that managed to do well.

As for Brawl, the cast is larger, and I notice an increase in each tier of about the same amount.

Brawl has...Meta Knight, Snake, Dedede, Game and Watch, Marth, ROB, Falco, and other characters doing awesome, so w/e.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Look at the tactical thread if you want 5 examples of 'advanced' techniques.

Mortar sliding, infinite jump, infinites, etc If the Wii had a HD, my guess would be that Nintendo would issue a patch to eliminate those.
First, I was talking about melee.
Second, I was talking about advance techniques, that are also glitches. Out of the melee advance techs, the only one that is a glitch is super wavedashing.

For brawl, the glitches would have to be....infinite jumps. Really, that's the only one that I think is a glitch. Motor Sliding (aka, dash attack canceling), seems to be more of a property of dash attacks rather than a glitch, considering the timing is character specific, and that the window for doing it increases when you hit something.
As far as the Jiggly example, thats great, i know you can win with other characters, its just not as easy.
And how is this different than...every fighting game in existance.
Hell, i use Fox, def not top tier material, so i dont need some guy chaingrabbing away like if im supposed to be impressed by it.
Don't get grabbed.
I can respect some ones game and admire it. People that play cheap are just annoying to play against and takes the fun out of the game.
First off, infinites and chaingrabs are not really considered advance techs anyway, so you labeling advance techs as cheap is pretty baseless. Second, in a tournament, you play to win, and if you have fun in the process, good for you. But the players are not to blame for using "cheap" things in a tournament. It's your fault for falling to such a predictable strategy,

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
Infinite is not a strategy. Its a copout.
Copout johns.

Seriously. Counter it anyway. Don't expect to face honorable men at a tournament, expect to face mercenaries out for a reward and for the thrill of winning. Even if there are people that are honorable... Expect them to not be anyway!

z3r0C0oL

Smash Apprentice
I dont play at tourneys and i have never been the victim of an infinite. I just think they are exploits and it sucks that people would use them at a tourney.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I dont play at tourneys and i have never been the victim of an infinite. I just think they are exploits and it sucks that people would use them at a tourney.
Then why are you posting in a thread(hell, entire board) dedicated to competitive strategies and tactics?

z3r0C0oL

Smash Apprentice
I dont really care. Its just a party game. I did want to express my opinion though. Thats all.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I dont really care. Its just a party game. I did want to express my opinion though. Thats all.
Well, SmashBoards is a community of people who think that Smash is much more than a party game and actually a very deep fighter game. It's deeper than every other fighter game every created: 64, Melee, and Brawl alike. It's much more than a party game to us.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
Well, SmashBoards is a community of people who think that Smash is much more than a party game and actually a very deep fighter game. It's deeper than every other fighter game every created: 64, Melee, and Brawl alike. It's much more than a party game to us.
...that was beautiful man....*sniff*

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Smash is not deeper than Guilty Gear, sorry.

I agree that it's way more than party game to us, of course. I'm a top player in Brawl, so I obviously take it very seriously.

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
Smash isn't deeper than Meltyblood or Arcana Heart 2 either

Lol top player that lost a money match to my ivysaur

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
....proves why marth should be banned killing a character in 20 seconds without getting hit waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lol

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
The way I play games like smash is that if I can't find a way around a technique in a game, I'm just not good enough. If the tournaments begin to be nothing but one chaingrab match after another, they will do something about it and regulate it somehow but let's be honest, who is winning all the tourneys? Is it DDD or Icees chaingrabbing to victory? No, it's Snake and other characters who are (prematurely, in my opinion) being nominated for top-tier. When the final tournament rounds are consistently being decided by chain-grabbed victories, then we can start to worry (of course even then I'll still be saying to just find a way around it, but that's just me).

Sorri for ranting.

My usual disclaimer: IMHO

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
The way I play games like smash is that if I can't find a way around a technique in a game, I'm just not good enough. If the tournaments begin to be nothing but one chaingrab match after another, they will do something about it and regulate it somehow but let's be honest, who is winning all the tourneys? Is it DDD or Icees chaingrabbing to victory? No, it's Snake and other characters who are (prematurely, in my opinion) being nominated for top-tier. When the final tournament rounds are consistently being decided by chain-grabbed victories, then we can start to worry (of course even then I'll still be saying to just find a way around it, but that's just me).

Sorri for ranting.

My usual disclaimer: IMHO
That right there is why the things that people in this thread are whining, about are still allowed in tournament

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It was pretty much him against 10 other people for most of the thread. It's hard to address everyone, especially when some bring up issues that were refuted at the beginning of the thread. Then others, like Ills, post because they're uninformed (you can't DI wall infinites. That's why they're banned). And there wasn't really even a real clear-cut standard that anti-infinite debaters could go off of.
The thing is that he's quoted and replied to parts of posts and ignored other parts of the same posts... all the while accusing, among others, me of ignoring his posts when at least when I do it, it's either because:
A: I've already addressed said point(s) in a very recent post (quite possibly, the very same post) or
B: I missed the entire post since I don't walk around reading every single post in every single thread I ever post in.

Some said they don't affect tourney results enough to be banned.
No, they say:
It's not overpowered. It's not overpowered on paper/as theory fighter and it's not even overpowered in tournaments.

Which means:
* It's not so good we have to ban it! If it's so good, then how come we have one jillion ways to combat it? We just told you one jillion ways to combat it (IC's infinites, which are the ones Patsie is arguing should be banned). We're out there, doing it! We're out there combating these infinites and actually beating ICs who do (albeit when I say "we", I don't necessarily mean everyone on "my" side).
* If it's so good none of what we can ever say applies, how come we just gave you tons of ways to combat it and how come it's not even dominating tournaments? You claim it's so good it's an auto-win from the first grab (because apparently, taking off one stock = winning the match). You claim the opponent should just put down his controller and walk away and cry about having just lost. You claim it's so good it's unbeatable in such a way no character can ever come close to beating the IC's unless they screw up monumentally (which would be reason enough to ban them... if it's only good enough for them to win by a small or relatively large margin, then it'd just make ICs Top or God Tier). Then how come no one's winning tournaments using it despite the fact that there are several capable IC's out there doing it?

Yuna said tourney results are not why we ban things.
No I didn't. And I've had to clarify this many times. I said:
We do not ban things based solely on what we see at tournaments.

When a new infinite stall that can be used to win the entire match without your opponent even having a chance of touching you is found out, we do not wait for it to have won at least 10 tournaments before banning it. Because we have already banned infinite stalls universally. We know that this one will reap the exact same results as this other infinite stall.

When a new stage is introduced in a new installment of Smash, we do not need to wait for the stage to have screwed up at least 40 tournament sets to ban it. We already know what can and cannot be done on stages, we already have enough reasons to ban certain kinds of stages.

It's the same with Neutral Stages, we do not leave all stages on Neutral for at least 100 tournaments before rounding it down.

When a new Smash is introduced, we do not need to play with Items on for 2 years before banning them if the way they work haven't significantly changed in such a way the reasons we banned them in Melee (and now in Brawl) do not apply.

In other words, precedence is also important!

Yuna then posted a more stable criterion; 4 points where everything they ban must fall under.
Supplements. Supplements!

And Stickies help...look at the character specifics. Matchup charts, vid threads, and instructional threads are all stickied for easy access and a premise for closing threads that try to start new ones. This is (or was) apparently a very controversial subject since there are serveral threads opening with the same topic. If someone were to sticky this, that person could bring their ideas here instead if the thread doesn't already address their points.
And still the majority of new users do not bother even touching the sticikies.

Also, stickies are made sticky if they're really, really important. This is not really that important. Also, not that many threads have been made on the subject vs. "Items should be on in tournaments!" and "Why aren't Smash Balls tourney legal?!". If anything, those two should be stickied today if we're going to go by "Many threads have been made on the subject and there's much debate and controversy surrounding the subject".

I can't talk for Patsie and say why he did or didn't do something. I can only say that he's an excellent debater, and probably had reasons for not addressing Grunt or you directly.
You can look like an excellent debater if people only read your posts and not the oppositions', especially when you ignore posts you cannot refute (which are many).

He had no logical reason to ignore Grunt's or Bocom's posts. In fact, he replied to some of their posts, IIRC. He additionally cannot claim "I didn't see them" as they even said "Why did you ignore this and that post" and I believe they even quoted themselves and/or each other. Meanwhile, Patsie often ranted about how I and others ignored his posts.

But this is exactly what I was talking about. There's no set of rules that tell why you ban or don't ban something. From my point of view, the contradiction between all of the pro-infinite debaters tell me that the rules are arbitrarily decided upon.
Yes there is. I have said it. Many times.

The ony universal rule for banning things (unless due to random bouts of scrubiness) is:
If something is "too good" as in so good that it breaks the game significantly, then it has to be banned.

"Breaking the game significantly" includes, but are not necessarily limited to (in case a game is released where an entirely new mechanic which introduces an entirely new way of breaking the game significantly):
* Nuclear Tesuji - You do it, you win (Infinite stalling)
* Akuma vs. Akuma - You play as them, you win... in a totally BS way which makes it virtually impossible to lose as X-character unless you screw up monumentally. Tournaments will devolve into X vs. X (and yes, SSF2T tournaments did devolve into Akuma vs. Akuma!) (Akuma)
* I'm too sexy to Move - Your opponent freezes and is unable to do anything, they're at your mercy
* Camera Who? - The camera gets screwed up, making it either impossible or really, really, really, really annoying (as in one character might not even be visible due to the came angle or whatever) to continue playing
* Arcade Absense - It's not in the arcade version (does not apply to Smash as there is no such thing as a legit Smash arcade cabinet)
* And you, and you, but not you - Technique/Combo/Glitch/Cookie only available for one side, as in only P1 can do it or P2 can do it or you can only do it facing left or only when facing right (in games where that's really important)(Certain button locks, strings, combos and random BS in the Naruto: Narutimate Hero-series (I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with any such instances in other games, so sue me if I'm not a fighter Sage) - footnote: In Brawl, several things are controller port-dependant. These do not necessarily break the game nor are they that huge of a nuisance and save of banning entire characters or techniques, we've resorted to seeding controller ports, either through "Highest Seed gets to pick first!" or "Jan-Ken-Pon!".
* Stage BS - Stages that allow for any of the above or that are just random BS for one party or in general (In Naruto: Narutimate Hero 2 and 3 (and possibly beyond), Kidoumaru's stage was total BS because I believe that the spider literally churned out items willy nilly. Matches literally devolved into who could get the most and best items and playing on that stage made it all about items, in Soul Calibur II, Talim's Stage (the Windmill) lagged the game (we also ban certain stages in Teams for the same reason), in Soul Calibur III, I think Abyss' or Night Terror's stage is banned because... I don't know. IIRC, one SCIII stage is banned. Many stages are banned in Smash because they allow for any of the above mentioned reasons to happen for stuff that wouldn't yield the same results on any other stage (that's not banned). For example, Nuclear Tesuji or Akuma vs. Akuma (it's not a "simple counterpick" if it boils down to Akuma vs. Akuma).

I don't see nearly as many people making threads "Who wants to play me?! FC ****" since the one about the friend finder was stickied.
Yet how many people are asking questions every day that are easily answered by spending 5 minutes or less reading one or more stickies (a lot of which actually crosslink to each other for easy referencing)? How many threads aren't started which are identical to threads on the front page of the same forum section every week? Some people are just lazy and/or quite possibly stupid.

And Yuna apparently ignored some of his points.
Patsie claiming it happened =/= It happened. Patsie's claimed many things. Most of them weren't direct lies or uninformed opinions. Some were.

Also, I only "ignored" 5 pages of posts unless it was only pointed out to me a very long time after I initially missed it (and when I miss something, I actually miss it), and those were because I had already written replies to them but then my Firefox somehow erased it all without me being able to get it back.

Also, read above for why Patsie's "missing" is ignoring and my "missing" was actually missing.

I'm not going to argue this again, that's not what I revisited this thread to do. I've read sirlin's guide, and I understand the basis on which he says things should be banned. I've also said that ddd's infinites fall under these categories, but was refuted, saying that it's only 5 characters.
If you've read Sirlin, then why can you still not grasp why The Akuma Principle does not apply to DeDeDe's infinite on 4 characters and chaingrab on one (if he has to move forward, he can trip)? All of the reasons why Akuma was and is still banned do not apply to DeDeDe's infinite and chaingrab. They just do not. A lot of them do, but some of the most important ones do not.

Various people in this thread said that we don't ban because a technique is "too good", yet Akuma was banned for that very reason.
No we didn't. We challenged people's perceptions of what is "too good" because, obviously, we don't agree with them. What's "too good" to Random Person #2573 is not necessarily "too good" to Random Person #12193 or, you know, me. Some people think grabbing is too good because they go through shields. Some people think edgeguarding is too good. Some people think cmaping is too good.

Also, we do not everything that's "too good", we ban things that are "universally game-breaking in such a way it hinders Competitive play" (semantics, I know). It's like if DeDeDe could infinite everyone. That's be "way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way too good".

See, this is where partial reading and/or subjective reading and/or failed reading comprehension is really dangerous, it sets us up to have to repeat the same arguments again and again and again.

It's examples such as these that I'm talking about. Inconsistency is hard to argue against.
Only no such inconsistency exist (or at least, you (nor Patsie) have yet to point one of them out).

Then explain your point. You said "I don't see why this should be stickied. How often does stickying something help anything?", and I responded.
Irrelevant to the topic at hand. I'm not saying he didn't fumble with his words or whatever. But it's not really that important... at all.

vs Akuma = vs ddd with any of the 5 he can infinite. Both winnable matches, but both very unlikely. One's banned, the other's not.
Read above (I'm replying to this to avoid accusations of ignoring posts).

I've never said that ddd was broken. I've never said "use ddd or you lose". The ONLY reason that he's not broken is that he doesn't have an infinite on every character.
Only, "Use X or lose" is the most important factor in why we ban things.

He still remains broken to the 5 who he can infinite because the match is nearly unwinnable.
So is Snake vs. Ganondorf. It might not be "One grab = One stock", but it's still pretty much a 10-0 matchup. It's still nearly unwinnable.

If you have a response to this, take it to PMs plz. I already addressed this in the thread and was refuted. I don't want to repeat my same arguments.
Wait, then why did I just see you reuse the "DeDeDe's infinite is broken and all of the rules of The Akuma Principle apply!"-card just a few posts ago?

I do not remember any tournaments where waveshining was banned.
I don't even remember anyone talking about banning it (as in, anyone credible... or just not a n00b... or just not clearly insane).

Even playing a campy match is still dangerous... [stuff]
Bla, bla, so are a lot of other matchups without infinites or even chaingrabs. One mistake and you might die at 0% against a whole slew of characters because of certain moves, tactics, combos and whatnot. Meteor Smashes, very good. Also, one-hit KO:ers if you cannot recover (and Sakurai changed the game so that even if you're Mew2King, you cannot recover from every single Meteor Smash). And also, only one hit. At least the infinites require repeated pounding.

(Melee History Time) One wrongly DI:ed tipper from Marth at 15-30% or so (character dependant) on Yoshi's Story and you're dead. One tipper from Marth when you have 60-70% (character dependant) before the hit (and sometimes even after the hit) on Yoshi's Story and you're dead. An entire crouch-canceled Dsmash from Peach when you're Bowser, not much fun. Various Space Animals BS against other fastfallers (or themselves)? Not a lot of fun. Marth BS against fastfallers on FD? Not a lot of fun. Sheik's chaingrab on half of the Melee-cast? Not fun. Ganny's chaingrab on fastfallers, Sheik or possibly others? Not a lot of fun. Game & Watch's chaingrab on fastfallers? Not a lot of fun.

We dealt with it.

Possible replies to posts after this in a separate post because of length.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Peach vs Marth wasn't = to ddd vs any of those 5.
Assume Marth predicts the DI perfectly. Assume they're playing on Final Destination and Marth grabs Peach from somewhere in the middle. Assume Peach DI:es a few throws wrong. Now assume Marth finishes with an Fsmash. It's not 0-death but it's at leasy 50%+ or even more... with or without the wrongly predicted DI:s. Now assume you're Sheik, you grab your opponent from the middle of Final Destination and you're opponent is, say, Sheik herself. Now assume you're Ganondorf. Assume you just grabbed a Falco. Now imagine this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsNbCkzRF-s#XH-CUI1fBs4

It was a bad matchup, but Marth had no 0 to death combos guaranteed from the first hit. And the only infinite in melee was wobbling, Shiek's opponent could still DI and try to throw her off. These are aspects of the ddd matchup that're similar, but not equal in degree to the ddd infinites or the difficulty of those matchups.
There's no possible way to DI out of Sheik's NTSC chaingrab. The only way for Sheik who does not suck to not chaingrab you (and finish with an Uair or Fair, which in most cases was lethal or set up for a painful edgeguard) was fore the Sheik to screw up.

Also, if something should be banned for being "too good", even if it's only against a select few, then quasi-infinite chaingrabs should apply. They yield pretty much the same results or at least 80% the same results, anyway.

And of course there's always counterpicking. The fact is that these 5 now won't win tournaments because they have their ultimate counterpicks. Everytime you select any of those 5 against a smart player, they're always counterpick ddd because of how easy it'd be to score a win. And if this were Melee, I'd agree that playing someone going for the easy win wouldn't be a problem because someone solely going for grabs to get your stock are predictable and can be severely punished.
If it's so easy, you beat competent Luigis, Marios, Samuses, Donkey Kongs and Bowsers. You go to tournaments and do this. Or at least point out instances of this happening (clearly much worse players winning as DeDeDe over Luigis, Marios, Samuses, Donkey Kongs and/or Bowsers through "easy counterpicking").

Theorycraft that's not even in the least verifiable =/= Valid arguments.

Punishment is no where near as heavy as it was in Melee. If someone wants to rely on grabs to win a match, they can. The risks are much less than the rewards.
Yes, and? There are still characters who can punish as much as anyone in Melee. And save for chaingrabs (which still exist, by the way), what are these "heavy punishments" that exist in Melee but not in Brawl you speak of? Combos have been nerfed, but that doesn't stop other BS from occuring (and sometimes, actual combos).

The intent of the posts that you're responding to are examples of how the rules for banning were inconsistent, not for why ddd should be banned. I don't think ddd should be banned, I think that the infinite should be banned because it creates that kind of "Pick X or lose" game for mains of those 5. None of them can win a tournament because of the infinite.
No, it's not "Pick X or lose", it's "Don't pick Y if you want to win against Z". It's not in any way the same thing. Snake vs. Ganondorf is 10-0.

Indeed, but this was a very different matchup. DI is still a factor during Marth's CG, and the spacing has to be perfect for a tipper.
Only it's not. The combo is guaranteed. There's no way to DI out of it unless Marth screws up.

The reflex, precision, and practice required to pull this off consistently against a good fox or falco was much more difficult than the ddd infinites.
"It only requires timing!", "It requires less skill!", "I'm good enough to do X but not Y!". If something is humanly possible, someone will perfect it. Someone will be able to pull it off in 99 out of 100 cases. Something requiring "more skill" does not make it less broken if the end results is the exact same as something else (that you think should be banned).

The fact is that this was just another con of the matchup for the spacies, but it wasn't a deciding factor of the match. A grab in that matchupd didn't mean the same as a grab in the ddd matchup.
Only it did on Final Destination because not only can Marth combo them into infinity, he can edgeguard them darn well as well.

I know its been said that difficulty is inconsequential (I don't know if you share this standpoint), but I believe it is.
Kudos on quoting me (as I believe I'm the only one to have said "Ease to do is inconsequential" in this thread). Don't take this the wrong way, but your belief =/= Fact.

If the techniques in Perfect Control were as easy to perform as a shorthop, Melee's metagame would be completely different.
Only a lot of people could actually do that stuff. Because once a combo has started, bar stage changes and outside interference (stage BS like shy guys and whatnot), there's nothing to stop you from doing "it all" unless you do it "wrong" (predicting the DI wrong, mistiming, etc.). Being able to predict and/or shine attacks on reaction every single time is not the same thing as being able to do shine combos every single time.

One requires you to have inhuman reflexes and precognasance. The other just requires you to have a lot of knowledge of the game and timing.

Different things would be banned, other things wouldn't be, matchups would be different, different stages would be counterpicked, etc. The beauty of competitive gaming, sports, or anything competitive is that skill and practice is rewarded.
Only we do not ban everything that requires "little skill". Name 10 things which have ever been banned from Competitive anything for "requiring little skill". Skill and practice is rewarded. But since when do the infinites not require skill and practice? They jsut require less "skill" than, say, Marth's bovine manure in Melee since there's no prediction involved.

If someone could perform ICs' infinite on me, I'd commend them for even catching me and maintaining the grab long enough to kill me. ddd's infinite takes no where near as much practice and dedication to learn.
But the two acheive the same end... only IC's infinites work on everyone.

Fox and Falco had much more to work with than the 5 vs ddd. There's no strategy that goes along with "don't get grabbed". As I said, I have no problem with the IC infinite because there are plenty of viable strategies around it. There's no such thing for this matchup.
So we should ban it because the 5 DeDeDe can infinite suck anyway? We're arbitrarily punishing DeDeDe for the weaknesses of the characters he can infinite, not because the infinite is "too good"?

True, 3 of them haven't shown much promise in the competitive scene, and balancing this game with tournament rules aren't the goal, but also keep in mind that the infinite removes them from tournament play altogether.
No... they... do... not.

Making it really hard for people to win entire tournaments as a certain character alone =/= Removing them from tournament play altogether. In fact, even in a tournament of 29 DeDeDes, there's nothing stopping Azen from going Luigi.

These 5 can't win tournaments like Jiggs or ICs could in melee, even though they're at about the same areas on the tier list.
So we should ban things to maximize balance? The thing you just said we shouldn't/don't need to/don't have to/whatever? We do not ban things to maximize balance or tournament potential. We do not ban things to allow for as many characters as possible to win entire tournaments. When did you last see a Ganondorf come even close to winning a Brawl tournament? Or a Pichu in Melee? Because, really, if we want to maximize game balance and "everyone should be able to win tournaments regardless of character picks", every single character but one should be banned.

Because then it'd all come down to who has the most skill as X-character. BS character weaknesses like "sliding too little to escape the infinite" would not apply.

These 5 have ultimate counterpicks. It's either ban the infinite, or ban the 5 characters for tournament play. And if we were to keep the infinite, then we will be banning it either way because how often will they use it in tournament play? They'd eventually never come up against those 5 either way because it'd be stupid to main them with any hopes of winning a tournament.
No it's not (and, really, I'll stick to only this sentence to reply to every single post people claim this from now on because we've been through this already).

There's no point. Why use those 5 when you have a matchup like ddd? My backup would have a much better chance of winning.
Why use any character at tournaments at all?

There are two main reasons to play in tournaments:
* For fun
* To win

Or quite possible: To win while having fun.

What's the point of using Donkey Kong against DeDeDe in a tournament? For fun. If you want to win instead and find that you cannot as Donkey Kong against X's DeDeDe, then you switch to another character... to win.

Playing for fun and to win are not mutually exclusive. But sometimes, in Competitive fighting games, they are. And we do not ban things to maximize "fun".

SF =/= SSBB. Bad matchups are such for different reasons in each game because they're completely different games. The only reason SF was ever brought up in this thread was because of the similarities in reasons for banning. And sure, competitive games have bad matchups, but look at ddd vs any of the 5 without the infinite. It's no where near as one-sided. That one technique is what makes them so terrible that it's nearly impossible to win. Bad matchups in any other competitive game are such because of a variety of reasons, be it speed, comboability, weaker attacks, etc.
So? Snake's everything makes a majority of his matchups virtually guaranteed wins. Ban Snake? Ban 75% of Snake's moves? Ban everyone but Snake?

So when they tried to ban Akuma in Japan they were "admitting that their game is bad and should probably be playing something else"?
They never "tried" to ban Akuma (and as you're implying failed). They did ban him, only their ban is a "soft ban".

If ddd could get rid of all of DK's stocks with 1 grab, the tech would most definitely be banned. Discrete, enforceable, and certainly warranted. The idea that I'm trying to get everyone to see is that it may not be the characters that are bad, but the tech.
No, it wouldn't. Not if it only worked against DK... or 5 characters. People need to stop saying "If X was Y, then it would be banned" when people with more experience, knowledge and general win say otherwise.

Obviously I have no way to refute that. Do you know the names of the Ness and Luigi?
Why does it matter? They have unwinnable matchups, anyway! They're banned in tournament play, anyway! There's no possible way for them to ever win against DeDeDe, anyway!

First, this is a CG. The argument is on the 0 to death grabs that you lose control over the minute you're grabbed. Second, you can still act here. In ddd's infinites, DI isn't a factor. Even if the chance of escaping the CG is small, the fact that you can influence that is key. In ddd's infinites, you have to pray that they screw up their timing, because that's all you get.
Then why are you arguing about Bowser? DeDeDe's "infinite" on Bowser is actually a chaingrab. Also, certain Melee chaingrabs acheived the exact same results as the DeDeDe infinite unless you started really close to the edge.

You can influence them... as in how long they go on. But you can't prevent them from taking you from 0% to KO-potential-territory or close to thereof. You have to pray that they screw up their timing (because, really, most chaingrabs in Melee required zero foresight since it wasn't even hard to DI-chase them).

Akuma has advantages that set him far apart from any of the other characters in the cast. ddd has a 1 hit KO attack. They may not be equal in how much of an advantage these characteristics give them, but both have outrageous advantages.
There are many games where you can win an entire round from a single hit. One stock in Brawl is the equivalent of one round in another fighting game where you have to win 3 rounds to win a match.

First, I don't know where your acusations come from, because they're clearly fabricated. Second, I don't know why you belligerently decided to bring your hostility into civil discussion. I assure you, it's not needed.
I don't know what the heck I'm responding to you responding to because I'm just quoting all of your (and some other people's posts) posts and replying to them but sometimes, some of us get tired after having to repeat ourselves for the umpteenth time because someone new decided to enter the thread and not even bother to read past the original post before repeating the same inane arguments that's been tossed around for months and then they refuse to see reason or logic (because there are many instances in your posts insofar where you are clearly wrong, where there's no such thing as it being a matter of opinion but where it's a matter of you just being wrong).

No, I'm not trying to balance the game or keep the game "fun", I'm trying to understand why it's decided that 1 grab = 1 stock is acceptable. The fact is that 5 characters are unusable because of this. Why not take it out? It will end up eliminating itself either way because you'll never see those 5 in competitive play.
Only you are. See above.

And if we ban things because they create "really unfair and unwinnable matchups", where do we stop? Even without infinites, there are still plenty of "unfair" matchups that are 10-0 or close to thereof. Because the game is badly programmed and even worse beta-tested. Play the game you've been dealt. Or ban everyone except the Low Tiers because almost everyone who's any good (and even some who aren't) have something that can be deemed "totally unfair".

No, the concepts are not the same. Take a look at the health. There is no set percentage at which you die. Depending on your DI and what attacks your opponent uses, you could live well into 3 or 400%, or be killed as low as 12%.
"This combo won't really be quite as good if the one doing it doesn't do it properly, i.e. use the proper attacks to combo/chaingrab and then the proper finishing move to KO/send off for a good edgeguard"... um... yeah. "Depending on what your opponent uses" = Bad argument.

Stock is the only thing consistent and that's not even in your traditional competitive fighting game. One aspect of fighting games that's common in brawl as well as others like Street Fighter, is a variety of characters and fighting styles.
Irrelevant, no matter who brought it up first.

If you don't like people treating Smash a deep fighting game franchise, then don't hang out where said people hang out? No one's forcing you to play against or converse with us at gunpoint. Just don't go to our tournaments (or any tournaments at all, really, because chances are, even the smallest tournament will have someone "abusing" something you'll think is a glitch or "unfair"), come into threads discussing deeper aspects of gameplay or quite possibly Smashboards at all (if you want to never ever have to encounter anything "deep" relating to Smash, that is, I am not telling you to GTFO. I'm giving you advice to make your life easier).

IR.O.B.edC.Falcon

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, i respect most of you, especially Yuna, because you've all made (mostly) good points and have supported your arguments fairly well. But really, why are you still discussing this? Infinites aren't broken. They are annoying, and they make some things hard, but thats to be expected. infinites aren't banned, and they won't be until Ice Climbers and King Dedede win every tournament or close to.

btw, you do all realize your making the same points over and over, right?

----------------------------------------

Ban everyone but Snake?

/nightmares

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
btw, you do all realize your making the same points over and over, right?
Because new people keep entering the thread reading only the OP, two pages, five or whatever and then re-hashing the same old, tired (and refuted) arguments.

Also, some people never learn and either ignore or fail to understand posts that completely refute their arguments, constantly repeating themselves, forcing "us" to repeat ourselves and a bad time is had by all.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Yuna, let me get this straight. You're cool with all the infinites? I didn't read through your posts entirely, but I saw this:

"The ony universal rule for banning things (unless due to random bouts of scrubiness) is:
If something is "too good" as in so good that it breaks the game significantly, then it has to be banned."

hints at that for sure.

I see no reason to ban the Ice Climber infinite. I'll agree with you there. As long as it's not used to stall, it's fine. It's hard to get the grab with them in the first place, the infinite is hard to perform, it can't be done on certain stages, and it's situational in general.

Now, the Dedede infinites are ********. Dedede has the largest non-tether grab range in the game, and his grab is 6 frames. So...a gigantic 6 frame unblockable that can be done out of shield equalling instant death is okay? It's not even hard to do.

Dedede on wall/walk-off stages against 2/3 the cast = lol 100/0. One grab is death. 6 frame gigantic unblockable that can be done out of shield = instant stock loss. That's okay? This is even easier than the other infinites. I can fall asleep on my controller and still do the harder CGs with Dedede. Walled stages make it even easier.

Walls/Walk-offs suck for competive play, period, imo. Dedede only makes them even worse with his infinites.

I see strong cases to ban the Dedede infinites, which is why NJ tournies ban them.

brentlouis

Smash Journeyman
i just dont get ppl, people think that popo is useless by himself. ppl also think that the only thing the ice climbers can do is chain grab. they have a moveset they dont only have teh grab. some ppl dont always go for the grab, they get u in a "hitstun" and then grab u, then ur dead

inui is a troll

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I say if we ban infinites, for the sake of making some random characters better, I should get special benefits for my character too. How about this? Let's ban edgehogging against Olimar, because it's totally unfair that he can't get back on the stage if someone is holding the edge. Let's also ban chasing him off stage for the purpose of gimping, so that he has a fair fight against Metaknight and Rob. And because I lost to a Snake in tournament, we should ban Snake too because he ftilted me too many times in one match, and that's cheap too. See where this is going?

If you are going to play a character in tournament, stop sucking, and learn how to get around the bull****. Some characters are better than others, some have bad matchups, get over it. Also, if you ban some of these infinites, it's not like these characters don't already have an advantage over some of these characters (such as Marth vs Ness). If you want a game where every character is the same, play Mario Party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom