• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squid Inkling Moveset Data (Preliminary) Updated: Added Some Ink-formation

Hi all. Info is taken from this video.

Please keep in mind that this is information from far before the game's official release! It may not be accurate come December 7!

Since there's no footage of training mode, there are a few points to keep in mind about damage:
  • Only attacks on non-inked targets were looked at
  • Only fresh attacks were looked at
    • Since we know that the freshness bonus is the same as is Smash 4 (×1.05) (source), I divided the fresh damage by this to find base damage, and then picked the number that seemed most likely if there were a lot of decimal places used
  • There's a new mechanic in Smash Ultimate where all attacks have their damage increased in 1 vs. 1 battles, and we know a few things about this
    • This multiplier is ×1.2 (source)
    • Despite the official reveal trailer saying that this multiplier is only applied in 1 vs. 1 battles, it is now known that, at least for these early builds, it is actually only applied in 1 vs. 1 battles with items turned off (source). This means 1 vs. 1 battles with items DO NOT have the ×1.2 multiplier as of now. This might just be a bug and might be changed later, who knows.
Special Mechanic: Ink!
A mechanic unique to Inklings. Inklings have an ink tank, and using certain attacks depletes it. Some special attacks (Splat Bomb and Splat Roller) require a certain amount of ink in order to be used. Smashes (and possible others?) can be used even without enough ink, but won't do as much damage. Opponents covered in ink take more damage from your attacks! Ink on the ground slows opponents down! Hold B while shielding to recharge your ink.

Right now it seems that a fully-inked target will take ×1.8 damage from your attacks, but various things are still unclear and this might be subject to change between now and release date!

Jumpsquat: 3F

Attack | Possible input | Base Damage (items / no items 1 vs. 1) | Hits on | FAF/Landing Lag | Approx. Ink cost (units)
Splattershot* | Neutral B | 0.25% | F11? (first frame ink appears); hits every 4F (i.e. F11, F14, F18 | | About 1.5 units/6F, or 0.25 units/frame (used on: F11)
Splat Roller | Side B | 11% / 13.2% | F16 earliest | | About 2 units/4F, or 0.5 units/frame (used on: F19 miss/F20 hit) (no ink used in the air)
Super Jump (ground) | Up B | 10.1% rising, close, grounded → 9% falling, close, grounded | F14
Super Jump (air) | 8.4% rising, close, aerial → 9% falling, close, grounded | F14
Splat Bomb* (High Toss) | Down B | 9.35% / 11.2% | Generated: F6 → Thrown: F22 → Auto-Detonates: F100 | | Required: 18.75 / 20.31 (full tank / not full) (used on: F3)
Splat Bomb (Far Throw) | Down B | 13.9% / 16.7% | Generated: F9 → Thrown: F39 → Auto-Detonates: F160 | | Required: 18.75 / 20.31 (full tank / not full) (used on: F3)
Jab 1 | Jab 1 | 1.7% | F3 | | 0
Jab 2 | Jab 2 | 2% | F2 | | 0
Jab 2 | Jab 3 | 3.5% |
Rapid Jab | Rapid Jab | 0.4% | F3; hits every 3F | | About 1.5 units/4F, or 0.375 units/frame (used on: F1)
Rapid Jab Finisher | Rapid Jab Finisher | 2.1% | F6 | | 0
Inkbrush | FSmash | 12% | F16 | | 6.25 (used on: F6)
Blaster | USmash | | | | 18.75 (used on: F6)
Slosher | DSmash | 11.1% bucket / 7% splash front → 11.1% bucket / 7% splash back | F13 front > F23 back | | 11 first → 1.5 second (12.5 total) (used on: F6)
Aerial dropkick | FAir | 10% early → 6.4% late | F10 | 12F | 0
Backward Splattershot slam | BAir | 8.5% | F7 | 8F | 0
Aerial overhead double kick | UAir | 4.7% first hit → 6.7% second hit | F12 first hit → F18 second hit (not counting hitlag) | 6F | 0
Downward Splattershot slam | DAir | 12% sweetspot / 10% sourspot | F16 | 10F | 0
Elbow slam | FTilt | 7% | F8 | | 0
Running tackle | Dash Attack | 8% | F8 | | 0
Ink recharge | Shield + B | Recharge rate: 0.91 units/frame | Starts recharging on F3 → Reaches bottom marker F23 (F21 counting once recharging begins) → Fully charged F112 (110F/1.83S once recharging begins) | F28 after releasing B?
Grab | Grab | - | F5 |
Pummel | Pummel | 1.3% | F1
UThrow | UThrow | 3.7% first hit → 3.8% second hit
DThrow | DThrow | 7% | F19 | F33 |
FThrow | FThrow | 5% first hit → 3.8% second hit | F22 | | 6.25 (Used on: F3)
BThrow | BThrow | 9% | F17 |
*Unsure if damage is affected by distance or if the increases I saw were just because of the ink bonus
*Hold button to increase throw distance. Contact seems to make a Splat Bomb detonate early? Auto-detonates 30F (±1F) after it starts to flash. The character portrait tank's ink level decreases by 12 pixels when used from a full tank, and 13 when used from a not-full tank. Unsure if this really means that using Splat Bomb as your first ink-consuming move makes it use less ink, or if this is just a limitation of the small resolution for the ink tank sprite.

Splattershot: Your Inkling takes aim with their trusty Splattershot and lets loose a barrage of ink! Hold the button to keep the stream going, but be mindful of your ink tank. It can be slightly angled up and down.
Splat Roller: Inkling produces a Splat Roller seemingly out of nowhere, then starts running across the battlefield with it, spreading ink behind them! You can turn around to go the other way, and end the move I think by releasing the button. Using this in the air won't use up any ink, and if you crash into the lip of the stage, you'll bounce backwards. You can bury people, then turn around and crash them free!
Super Jump: Going into squid form, the Inkling rockets up into the air. Noticeably faster when used while airborne.
Splat Bomb: You toss a Splat Bomb, and after a while, it explodes, covering anyone unfortunate enough to be nearby in ink. Tap the button for a high and close underhand toss, and hold it for a farther overhand throw.
Jab 1 & 2: These look a lot like ZSS's jabs. Not much to say here.
Rapid Jab: After the first two physical hits, your victim is caught in a somewhat disk-like area of repeated ink blasts, ending with a strong finishing hit. Useful for getting people inked up, but can deplete your tank if you aren't careful.
Inkbrush: A grand slam with a huge brush. Doesn't use up too much of your ink supply.
Blaster: Your Inkling whips out the Blaster and sets it pointing toward the heavens before unleashing a startlingly powerful blast. Has a small setup hit not uncommon to USmashes. Uses a moderate amount of ink.
Slosher: Two quick splatters of ink from a bucket, one in front and one behind. Also uses a moderate amount of ink.
FAir: Kinda looks like Diddy's FAir, but without the obnoxious spinning.
BAir: A quick strike with the Splattershot to cover your back. Seems pretty strong.
UAir: After a bit of startup, your Inkling executes two quick spinning kicks over their head. Really flashy!
DAir: Slams their Splattershot below them, delivering a painful blow to people trying to sneak up below you.
Dash Attack: Quickly emerging from their dashing Squid form, the Inkling tackles the opponent.
FTilt: Dishes out a quick strike in front of them with their elbow.
Will continue updating. I have to analyse gameplay videos really carefully to find ink use values and because I'm still not sure what the damage multiplier from ink is, and whether it increases with more ink or if it's a flat value, so it's gonna take a while.

Last edited:

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering when this thread was going to pop up. If it’s any help, a fresh, inkless dair and jab happen at 9:00 and 11:00 respectively in this video. You can also use the rapid jab to find out the ink multiplier if you divide the first hit when sonic is clean by the last hit when he's soaked.

Also how many units is a full tank? 100?

I was wondering when this thread was going to pop up. If it’s any help, a fresh, inkless dair and jab happen at 9:00 and 11:00 respectively in this video. You can also use the rapid jab to find out the ink multiplier if you divide the first hit when sonic is clean by the last hit when he's soaked.

Also how many units is a full tank? 100?
Thank you SO much!! This is a really big help omg

A unit is really just 1% of the full tank ha ha. So a full tank (100%) is 100 units. I haven't seen anything in-game saying that a tank is some other amount of units so I'm just using that term because it sounds weird to say "this move needs x% of a tank of ink" compared to "this move needs x amount of ink."

So long story short, yep, a full tank is 100 units under the framework I've established here.

*At 1080p HD in fullscreen from YouTube on my Asus N56DP, an ink tank's ink section is 20 pixels wide by 64 pixels long next to the character's in-battle portrait
*A full tank of ink has a gradient ink section with a solid black chassis
*I can tell when ink has been used when the ink section goes from a gradient to a solid colour, and the chassis goes from solid black to a blackish ink-coloured gradient. This is important because for some moves, like the Splattershot and Splat Roller, I have to be able to tell exactly on what frame ink starts to be consumed in order to get an idea of the ink usage ratio
*I can also tell when ink has been used by just seeing the ink level go down. However, this isn't always as reliable
*To find a flat amount of ink used, like with the Slosher, I just take a screenshot to measure by how many pixels the ink level decreased, preferably from a full tank
*I divide that amount of height in ink lost by 64 (a full tank), then multiply by 100

Since YouTube supports 60 fps video now, I advance one frame at a time with the , and . keys to find stuff like on what frame ink is used.

Of course for tiny amounts of ink consumed, like by the Splattershot, there are some problems. One unit would be equal to 0.64 pixels in the ink tank sprite, which isn't possible for any display. For this, I found footage of it being used for a good amount of time
*I looked at what was the first frame I could tell for sure ink had been used, and recorded it
*I advanced frame by frame, recording every frame that the ink tank went down to a solid colour boundary (sometimes there are blended pixels between the black and the ink, but that's the game trying to display amounts of ink that aren't in steps of 1/64, and I ignore those)
*I keep doing this until I've got a reasonable amount of frames; for the Splattershot, this was from F11 to F195 (stopping on a frame a new portion of ink had just been used)
*To find a rough estimate of ink units/frame, I find the total number of frames ink had been used (here 184F) and the amount of pixels of ink used (30)
*Divide pixels by frames to find pixels/frame, divide by 64 to find how much of a tank this is, then multiply by 100. I usually round to two decimal places

To get a rough estimate of how often the ink is used (i.e., every how many frames it's actually depleted from the tank), I divide the total number of ink-using frames by the number of times I recorded the ink level as going down. In this example, it was 184 frames total, but ink was used on F11, F15, F23, F27, F35, F39, F47, etc, for a total of 31 repetitions, so ink was used about every 6 frames. Then I multiply the per every frame rate by this number. This makes sense for this move in particular because the ink level was decreasing sometimes every 4 frames, and sometimes every 8 frames, and 6 is the average of those two numbers. Sometimes the ink level would drop by one solid pixel, sometimes by two, or sometimes by a blurry pixel. This is probably because of the per-frame ink use ratio.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Nice thread.

Curious about how much the damage actually increases on inked enemies and how much inked must they be. Also iff they need to be soaked like the Ness in the fighters video, if the increased damage depends on how much ink the opponent has on their body, etc.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Given how knockback is related to damage, do we know yet if an inked opponent takes more knockback due to taking more damage? Or is it just more damage and the knockback of moves stay the same?

Example to clarify what I mean: Fresh fsmash on Mario at 50% with no ink vs fresh fsmash on Mario at 50% with ink (only a bit or fully inked) will the latter take just more damage or take both more damage and knockback? Also, do we know if there's any way to quickly remove the ink on a character? The flower status from Rest and Lip's Stick for example can be removed more quickly by mashing the control stick.

Given how knockback is related to damage, do we know yet if an inked opponent takes more knockback due to taking more damage? Or is it just more damage and the knockback of moves stay the same?

Example to clarify what I mean: Fresh fsmash on Mario at 50% with no ink vs fresh fsmash on Mario at 50% with ink (only a bit or fully inked) will the latter take just more damage or take both more damage and knockback? Also, do we know if there's any way to quickly remove the ink on a character? The flower status from Rest and Lip's Stick for example can be removed more quickly by mashing the control stick.
I would imagine that knockback does increase, unless Sakurai radically changed the formula.

As for getting ink off yourself, in the linked video, I believe Smiddy says something like "as they move around it wears off." Since he's a Treehouse person I'm inclined to believe that's accurate, which would suggest moving around makes the ink disappear?

Last edited:

The Neon Flame

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadow_Rex
3DS FC
2939-2382-1976
Switch FC
2650 8699 0986
This thread is very useful for a future Inkling mainer like myself!

Think you could put a description of each known attack? Like, what happens during a rapid jab? Is that like a short series of burst shots?

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I would imagine that knockback does increase, unless Sakurai radically changed the formula.

As for getting ink off yourself, in the linked video, I believe Smiddy says something like "as they move around it wears off." Since he's a Treehouse person I'm inclined to believe that's accurate, which would suggest moving around makes the ink disappear?
The knockback could be unaltered. Buster Shulk does more damage but less knockback for example so Inkling could get a similar treatment. Otherwise, Inkling may have somewhat weak KO options without ink to try and balance it out. Depending how drastic the damage increase is, it'd be kinda crazy to have a smash attack KO at say 100% without ink and suddenly go down to like 70 or 80% KO if fully inked.

And even if running around and mashing buttons gets the ink off faster, that generally leaves the opponent open. Similar situation with Olimar where mashing the control stick and buttons gets Pikmin off you faster but leaves you open to an attack.

D

Deleted member

Was anyone able to get the times on how long it takes to refill the ink tank? I'm kind of concerned about how that mechanic will affect them in the long run. It seems like it would be hard to find situations to do it safely, especially against fast characters.

EDIT: Never mind, my question seems to be answered by the OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is very useful for a future Inkling mainer like myself!

Think you could put a description of each known attack? Like, what happens during a rapid jab? Is that like a short series of burst shots?
Sure, I can definitely do that!

The knockback could be unaltered. Buster Shulk does more damage but less knockback for example so Inkling could get a similar treatment. Otherwise, Inkling may have somewhat weak KO options without ink to try and balance it out. Depending how drastic the damage increase is, it'd be kinda crazy to have a smash attack KO at say 100% without ink and suddenly go down to like 70 or 80% KO if fully inked.

And even if running around and mashing buttons gets the ink off faster, that generally leaves the opponent open. Similar situation with Olimar where mashing the control stick and buttons gets Pikmin off you faster but leaves you open to an attack.
Hm, but see, the difference is that Buster is a self-only modifier, while ink is other dependent. Plus, it isn't readily evident, but from what I've seen it seems that getting someone TOTALLY inked isn't so easy to do. They have to stay stuck in either the Splattershot or your rapid jab for a while for that to happen, and it's kind of ink intensive (ink-tensive, if you will), which means you have to weigh that vs being able to use stuff like the Splat Roller or the Splat Bomb.

In the end though, we might have to wait till the game releases (or we get a demo?!) to be able to tell conclusively.

On that note, I would be really grateful if anyone could help me dig up as much footage of Inkling (and Ridley!) as possible. Anything helps; even videos not shot in 60 fps can be potentially used to find out damage percentages.

The Neon Flame

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadow_Rex
3DS FC
2939-2382-1976
Switch FC
2650 8699 0986
Last edited:
Thank you! For future reference though, try to avoid double posting - that is, posting twice in a row without a whole lot of time or any replies in between. Next time, edit your first post! I'll still see it.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
There's a mild windbox on the neutral B Splattershot, judging from how it pushes Mario.

It doesn't seem strong enough to prevent approaches, so I feel like the move is mostly going to be used to ink off-stage opponents who can do little to avoid it in a manner similar to how Bowser/Charizard's neutral Bs are typically used.

There's a mild windbox on the neutral B Splattershot, judging from how it pushes Mario.

It doesn't seem strong enough to prevent approaches, so I feel like the move is mostly going to be used to ink off-stage opponents who can do little to avoid it in a manner similar to how Bowser/Charizard's neutral Bs are typically used.
Yep, my thoughts exactly. If you watched Mango vs MKLeo in the invitational, Mango uses the Splattershot the way I think it should be: sort of with a hit and run tactic to ink people during openings and build up damage on them. Sort of like Olimar's Pikmin or Fox especially in Melee.

Reila

So the Inkling's gameplay loop is mostly centered on smash/tilts/down B, with some neutral B/side B here and there?

I can't say for SURE right now, but that's kinda how I envision it. Inking people at mid-range with Splattershot and Splat Bomb, then closing in for the kill with aerials and tilts.

I don't see Inkling's smashes as particularly useful. This is because you want to ink people to make it easier to KO. That means you wanna conserve your ink for the express purpose of setting up. Therefore, a kill move that uses up ink seems counterintuitive, especially when we have such a quick and strong BAir and UAir.

Inkbrush might be the best smash just cause it uses the least amount of ink and works well with Splatroller's bury. Slosher seems to ink people up a lot, but also uses more ink, and buried people are just in front of you, meaning you're doing less damage and wasting more ink compared to Inkbrush. Blaster is interesting. It uses a lot of ink up, but looks like it has a solid hitbox in the air and is pretty powerful. If bury mechanics work in Ultimate like they do in Smash 4, then buried targets take less horizontal KB and but vertical KB is unaffected. This means we might wanna take a page out of Villager's book and use Blaster on a buried person, especially since the weaker setup hit would pop them out of the ground anyway and into the blast. You could even just charge it and wait to catch them when they pop out and into the air with just the blast, if you're really wilin lmao.

Anyway, yeah the new dash mechanics are probably most beneficial to Inkling. They make it SUPER easy to close distance and hit with a sudden tilt or jab to a rapid jab and more ink. Basically being in the ground means dash also has the added benefit of probably evading most projectiles, with the exception of stuff like grenades, C4, and Link's new bomb.

This is all my own conjecture of course, but I can't wait to see how the character's meta plays out and develops.

Last edited:

Reila

Thanks, Indigo Jeans Plino. Mid-range would actually make sense for a Splatoon character. It is a bit of a shame that they have to deal not only with sub-optimal frame data in some moves (like most characters) but also the ink consumption. I suppose that drawback is necessary to balance the damage increased mechanic. Or somefin.

Another question: Can you jump > Uair > Up B > Uair with Inkling like you can do with Sonic or are you stuck in squid form until you land after Up B'ing?

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Can you tell ground speed or aerial mobility? Also, do you have anything on the nair?

I wasn't very sure about Inkling when I first saw people playing them at E3, but after watching more of the games (especially with Abadango) that are now in our little library, I think I'm hooked. That dash animation and unique damage calculation looks like a lot of fun to play around with.

Since you seem to be the only person making an effort to organize and share frame data I think I'm left comparing Inkling to Smash 4 characters. I decided to compare with Sheik and it looks like Inkling is just a couple frames behind her in just about everything. How would you say the frames you see compare to other known competitive characters?

Last edited:
Thanks, Indigo Jeans Plino. Mid-range would actually make sense for a Splatoon character. It is a bit of a shame that they have to deal not only with sub-optimal frame data in some moves (like most characters) but also the ink consumption. I suppose that drawback is necessary to balance the damage increased mechanic. Or somefin.

Another question: Can you jump > Uair > Up B > Uair with Inkling like you can do with Sonic or are you stuck in squid form until you land after Up B'ing?
Woah, sorry, I didn't see this! I don't know for sure, but I suspect not. When you use it on the ground it seems like you're forced to just fall back down in squid form, and given that I think the same would apply for using it in the air. Again I can't say for certain, but that's just my educated guess ha ha. However, in this video, we see Abadango use Super Jump in the air, and then just fall to the ground in squid form. I feel like given that he's played the demo quite a bit and is a top player, if we were able to attack out of it, he would've done so.

Can you tell ground speed or aerial mobility? Also, do you have anything on the nair?

I wasn't very sure about Inkling when I first saw people playing them at E3, but after watching more of the games (especially with Abadango) that are now in our little library, I think I'm hooked. That dash animation and unique damage calculation looks like a lot of fun to play around with.

Since you seem to be the only person making an effort to organize and share frame data I think I'm left comparing Inkling to Smash 4 characters. I decided to compare with Sheik and it looks like Inkling is just a couple frames behind her in just about everything. How would you say the frames you see compare to other known competitive characters?
I've been kinda busy so I haven't had as much time as I'd like to go through footage. If you know of any videos that have a good shot of NAir, link me up! As far as ground and air speed/mobility, I'm sorry to say I don't have anything on that either :( Just from looks though, they seem to be somewhere around Mewtwo/Sheik dashing on the ground and maybe Ryu in the air?

Overall, Inkling looks like a really quick character on the ground, which some pretty fast neutral options, notably Jab and FTilt. However, their aerials and smashes are a bit on the slower side. UAir in particular is kinda slow to start, but it's basically a Cloud BAir as far as startup and kill power. BAir though is quite fast and decently strong. I suspect the mixed frame data is most likely to balance out the ink mechanic.

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I've been kinda busy so I haven't had as much time as I'd like to go through footage. If you know of any videos that have a good shot of NAir, link me up! As far as ground and air speed/mobility, I'm sorry to say I don't have anything on that either :( Just from looks though, they seem to be somewhere around Mewtwo/Sheik dashing on the ground and maybe Ryu in the air?

Overall, Inkling looks like a really quick character on the ground, which some pretty fast neutral options, notably Jab and FTilt. However, their aerials and smashes are a bit on the slower side. UAir in particular is kinda slow to start, but it's basically a Cloud BAir as far as startup and kill power. BAir though is quite fast and decently strong. I suspect the mixed frame data is most likely to balance out the ink mechanic.
Ok. I'll look over some of the videos and see what I can dig up for Nair data. Thanks for the insight on speed and mobility

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Info is taken from this video (for frame info) and this video (for damage info).

Please keep in mind that this is information from far before the game's official release! It may not be accurate come December 7!

Attack | Possible input | Damage | Hits on | FAF/Landing Lag | Approx. Ink cost (units)
Inverted roundhouse | NAir | 7.4% | F4 | 7F | 0

I had a little trouble with animation verses screen information. Even though all animation shows a hit starting at F4 it doesn't register in the percentages until around F6-7. So, do I go with the impact animation or the percentage change? I am assuming the animation matters more for calculating speed of the attack considering the damage calculation should come through even if the game physics mess up knockback, right?

Please feel free to check my results. I have never done this before but am fairly certain those are the numbers.

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
We have some 1v1 stock match footage! Bless you Abandago. I believe this is the first instance of us seeing Inklings being used outside of a FFA, meaning we have their actual damage counters now, at least for some of their moves. (I don't know if it's widely known, but in 1v1s with items on, the game still gives the players the reduced damage as if they're in FFAs, for example in the chart posted above, the Splat Roller is listed doing 11%, but as seen in the first video, it does 13% fresh.)

It showcases some really great stuff like applications of the Splat Bomb and how it explodes on contact, the fact that Splattershot does no knockback at max range, the down air Spike, and just general really smooth Inkling gameplay.

Last edited:

Lt. Longshot

Smash Rookie
for example in the chart posted above, the Splat Roller is listed doing 11%, but as seen in the first video, it does 13% fresh.)
I've seen splatroller do upwards of 17% (this is with the items on) as seen in this video (at roughly 30 seconds). It does look like gannon has full ink on him as well so maybe we could get a sense of the scaling. EDIT: DIDNT SEE WE KNEW HOW MUCH SCALING WAS OOPS
and yes it does look like it could combo into itself, apparently the move is hard to mash out of

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
We have some 1v1 stock match footage! Bless you Abandago. I believe this is the first instance of us seeing Inklings being used outside of a FFA, meaning we have their actual damage counters now, at least for some of their moves. (I don't know if it's widely known, but in 1v1s with items on, the game still gives the players the reduced damage as if they're in FFAs, for example in the chart posted above, the Splat Roller is listed doing 11%, but as seen in the first video, it does 13% fresh.)

It showcases some really great stuff like applications of the Splat Bomb and how it explodes on contact, the fact that Splattershot does no knockback at max range, the down air Spike, and just general really smooth Inkling gameplay.
Thanks for the heads up. I went ahead and adjusted my earlier comment with the information I got from these videos. During the second video Abadango lands a Nair as the first attack of his second stock. You don't get much better damage info than that. He throws out the Nair a few times so it was good for getting a reading on what a Nair would do for us.

Edit: I also added those two videos to the Inkling video thread.

Last edited:
Hey guys! Lots of things to report. First of all, I decided to migrate the data over to a google spreadsheet, which is embedded in the OP and should be visible to everyone. I think it has quite a few advantages over a BB Code table, namely organization and formatting (also, it updates in real-time, so that's pretty cool)

Second, updates to the data:
  • Global change: damage values rectified to account for freshness bonus and 1 vs. 1 no items bonus. Values given are now what I hope are pretty close to their "base" damage, so neither fresh nor stale
  • Added: NAir info (thanks a bunch to CostLow CostLow for landing lag info and Lt. Longshot Lt. Longshot for footage links!)
  • Still need to find a fresh weak hit on FAir on an clean target
  • Fixed the langing lag for BAir. I originally had it down as 8F, but after looking at more videos I'm pretty sure that was wrong. Apologies!
  • Added lower damage on Splat Roller due to slower speed (medium speed Splat Roller). Maybe it can be even less?
  • Pretty much confirmed that Super Jump does the same damage going up as it does landing, whether you start it on the ground or in the air
  • Fixed Splat Bomb ink cost. I originally had it down as 18.5, but... that wouldn't even be a possible value with my method!! And I also noticed that it seems to deplete less ink from the tank when the tank is full? Really sorry about the misinformation everyone :(
    • I also added what I'm pretty sure are the latest frames that they will explode on their own, for long throw and high toss bombs
    • Seems that the two also do different amounts of damage, so I added that in too
    • Still need more footage of explosion perimeter damage (like a weak hit) when fresh and on a clean target, but I doubt that will happen any time soon
  • Added FThrow data
  • Also need footage of DTilt and UTilt, along with uncharged fresh USmash on a clean target
Info is taken from this video (for frame info) and this video (for damage info).

Attack | Possible input | Damage | Hits on | FAF/Landing Lag | Approx. Ink cost (units)
Inverted roundhouse | NAir | 7.4% | F4 | 7F | 0

I had a little trouble with animation verses screen information. Even though all animation shows a hit starting at F4 it doesn't register in the percentages until around F6-7. So, do I go with the impact animation or the percentage change? I am assuming the animation matters more for calculating speed of the attack considering the damage calculation should come through even if the game physics mess up knockback, right?

Please feel free to check my results. I have never done this before but am fairly certain those are the numbers.
Yeah, I've noticed that too! It seems an attack connects when there's a red spark, the target's expression and posture changes, and hitlag begins, but for whatever reason the damage register until usually 2 frames later. I've been going with the first number though.

I'd appreciate any and all feedback. Do you guys think it would be better to list the ×1.2 damage first since that's probably what will be seen most in competitive play? (side note: this means Splat Bomb is ridiculously good for racking up damage since far throw does upwards of 17.5% fresh on CLEAN targets, which is crazy.)

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
. Do you guys think it would be better to list the ×1.2 damage first since that's probably what will be seen most in competitive play?
Absolutely, the FFA numbers will be irrelevant when the game drops and everyone quickly rushes to play stock. They should still be kept around though just in case we get the FFA numbers in teams.

E D I T
Another 1v1 video!
The cool thing about this one is that it shows how much damage neutral B can do and confirms that Inkling gets an extra jump in the air, meaning she has 3 midair jumps not unlike Bowser Jr or Wario!

Last edited:
Absolutely, the FFA numbers will be irrelevant when the game drops and everyone quickly rushes to play stock. They should still be kept around though just in case we get the FFA numbers in teams.

E D I T
Another 1v1 video!
The cool thing about this one is that it shows how much damage neutral B can do and confirms that Inkling gets an extra jump in the air, meaning she has 3 midair jumps not unlike Bowser Jr or Wario!
Point taken. I switched them around in the sheet. Does the column name make sense though? I feel like it might not be entirely clear but I don't wanna make it super wordy ha ha.

Ooh that's pretty good. Will definitely help when you're recovering high. It's a shame how quickly you fall during it though : (

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Was watching this video and I wasn't sure if it would help you figure out a bit more about dtilt since this player uses it several times. Seems to be multihit which is interesting. And there is also a moment where the player uses dair. I was suprised by how long the move lasted and it still spiked! I'm excited for this! (Since this is my second post about spiking in the thread, I love spiking people.)

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
Was watching this video and I wasn't sure if it would help you figure out a bit more about dtilt since this player uses it several times. Seems to be multihit which is interesting. And there is also a moment where the player uses dair. I was suprised by how long the move lasted and it still spiked! I'm excited for this! (Since this is my second post about spiking in the thread, I love spiking people.)
splat bomb-> dair is probably a true combo if bombs don’t get too much end lag. It’s going to be one of the first things I try on Dec 7th

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
In Splatoon, if an Inkling swims around in their ink instead of just staying still then they recharge ink much faster. This doesn't seem to occur for the dash, but I was wondering if anyone has seen any footage of an Inkling rolling while stood on their ink? I think rolling in ink has a plausible chance to provide some meter recharge but I've been unable to catch examples of it so far. Particularly because Inklings are literally made of ink, rolling in the stuff would make sense and provides a reference to a mechanic from their own game.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
In Splatoon, if an Inkling swims around in their ink instead of just staying still then they recharge ink much faster. This doesn't seem to occur for the dash, but I was wondering if anyone has seen any footage of an Inkling rolling while stood on their ink? I think rolling in ink has a plausible chance to provide some meter recharge but I've been unable to catch examples of it so far. Particularly because Inklings are literally made of ink, rolling in the stuff would make sense and provides a reference to a mechanic from their own game.
Weeeeell this is more of an educated guess than a hard confirm, but only Inkling's Side B seems to paint the ground (Neutral B doesnt for some reason), and it seems like the only interaction Inkling gets out of this is potentially a higher Up B, and even that's unconfirmed.

One mechanic from Splatoon not present in Smash is that in Squidgame (tm), as long as you weren't shooting, your squid would always be passively refilling ink, even when not dipped in their own ink, this mechanic seems to be absent from Smash, going off of this, combined with the fact that Side B's ink is only on the ground for abouuuuut 4? seconds? I'm fairly certain that even if you roll while your ink is on the ground, you won't refill. It seems like Sakurai designed the Inkling so that they would ONLY refill ink if you deliberately commanded them to do so by pressing Shield+B and any passive methods of refilling your tank will not work.

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Weeeeell this is more of an educated guess than a hard confirm, but only Inkling's Side B seems to paint the ground (Neutral B doesnt for some reason), and it seems like the only interaction Inkling gets out of this is potentially a higher Up B, and even that's unconfirmed.
Not quite sure on this, but don’t the Inklings move faster on their own ink, while enemies move slower? That could be one of the reasons why side b is the only move that inks the ground.

I do wish Inklings would passively recover ink if not using a move for a good while, but this could be the intent. Sakurai may want players to be vulnerable if they’re not keeping an eye on their ink tank. To be fair, this is a lot like Splatoon, but in Smash having a small amount of ink still allows you to use certain moves just fine which may be why passive recharging isn’t a thing.

Top Bottom