• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Insane Triumph 1, Houston TX Jul. 10 2010

Blitz57

Smash Rookie
It's about time Southwest area melee players got together and had their very own tournament. For the first one in a long time there will be one, an INSANE TRIUMPH! This will be the first tournament I have hosted, and it will be a great one. Houston's summer melee tournament will be set for July 10!

Event Information
Location: University Center Underground level Mediterranean room (University of Houston main campus)

Address: 274 University Ctr
Houston, TX 77204

TO GET TO THE LOCATION ONCE YOUR INSIDE THE STRUCTURE GO DOWN THE STAIRS TO THE "UC UNDERGROUND" walk straight through one of the 8 doors and turn left at the fountain. you will know by then where the event is

Venue Fee: $5, new reason forces me to charge more money, so we can have the room and not get in trouble with university.
Singles Fee: $10
Doubles Fee: $20 ($10 each)

Payouts:

Singles:
1st - 60% of pot
2nd - 30% of pot
3rd - 10% of pot

Doubles:
1st - 60% of pot
2nd - 30% of pot
3rd - 10% of pot

Food
Wendy's/Subway/Chili's/Chickfila/other places nearby(within walking or driving distance)
There will be places to eat just downstairs, the above mentioned are inside the UC

Equipment
I already have 3 set-ups guaranteed (cube/wii, game,memory, TV) and if anyone else brings set-ups I would greatly appreciate it and more is always better.

Schedule
10:30AM - Venue opens, Registration begins
12:50PM - Registration closes
1:00PM - Singles Bracket Starts
4:00PM- Doubles and Crews Begin
7:30PM - Clean up and tourney ends
8:00 PM - Building closes and thanks for coming!!!

Rules
General (apply to all events unless otherwise noted):

* Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order. The higher slot strike first.
* Items are set to off.
* Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.
*One ban per player per set. To be chosen after loss.
* The loser of the first match will announce a new stage to play on for the next game. The winner will then be allowed to switch characters, followed by the loser. Apply the same logic for the third match (and fourth/fifth when applicable) if there is one. (Advanced Slob Picks)
*You cannot go back to the last stage you won in a set, unless agreed upon by the other player. (Modified Dave's Stupid Rule)
* Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players, same for doubles.
* For doubles: Team Attack will be ON, life stealing allowed.
* Wobbling is banned.
* There will be no ties in any tournament. Anyone refusing to play any Match (including the finals) will be disqualified and forfeit all rights to any titles or prizes they might have otherwise earned for that tournament.
* Collusion of any kind with your competitors is considered cheating. If the Tournament Director determines that any competitor is colluding to manipulate the results or intentionally under performing, the collaborating players may be immediately disqualified. This determination is to be made at the sole discretion of the Tournament Director. Anyone disqualified in this manner forfeits all rights to any titles or prizes they might have otherwise earned for that tournament.
* Late Arrival Rule - If you want to enter after registration closes, you will have to pay $5 more for venue fee. NO EXCEPTION!
*Wobbling banned again for fun

Brackets:

* Bracket matches are best 2 of 3, 4 stock.
* 8 minute time limit.
* Winners' bracket finals, losers' bracket finals, and championship sets are all best 3 of 5.

Stages:

*Neutrals

Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dreamland 64
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams (1v1 only)
Pokemon Stadium

*Counterpicks 1v1:

Kongo Jungle 64
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise

NOTE: Pokemon Stadium is only neutral for 2v2. It's a counter pick for 1v1. Fountain of Dreams is only neutral for 1v1 and it's ban for 2v2 due to lag.

Misc:

* The DQ rules is as follow
5 min late: a warning
10 min late: loss of a match
15 min late: loss of the set

Contact Info
blitz330@yahoo.com
or pm me in SWF

1. Wobbles
2. Darkrain
3. Broly
4. DoH
5. Jake13
5. JesiahTEG

teams:
1. DoH/Darkrain
2. Wobbles/bluezaft
3. JF/MT

MT_

Smash Ace
I will likely come to this.

If we bring a setup will we get waived from the venue fee (if there is one)?

defsithe

Smash Ace
hmmmm texas still has melee....lol.

i got relatives in friendswood, hmmm maybe i should go "visit" them.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
definitely going to try to come. Im prety sure im free that week. Idk if Ankur can come though. Did yal talk to Velox? get mouf,Oscar, syba,timer, and jake to come 0_0 im pretty sure vel got their numbers.

StoneColdBeast

Smash Cadet
I'll talk to people Lucciano, but I only have a couple people's numbers, so I'll mainly be conversing on the boards. We need to get ahold of the following: Dallas (DoH/Drew/Bluezaft/Sethlon/Darkrain/etc.), Austin (Kal/JF/ARC/Wes!???/etc.), SA (Caveman/Xelic/etc.), and the RGV smashers. I'm sure all of Houston will show to show support for the game we all love.. RIGHT?? (I'm looking at Ronnie and as being the most iffy and most needing to come to this also...)

I'm definitely coming and I'm bringing Cesar and a setup.

Nice thread though Phillip! I know you guys know what you're doing obviously. It will be an insane triumph indeed, heh, but I've expected UoH to be a center of the melee world in the next year. This will end up being the best melee tournament of the summer here in Texas, so I do hope people show.

The only thing I will say though (about the rules) is that we're GOING to have someone enforce double blind picks because there's been a rash of counterpicking at the start of matches lately.....

- Chris

also guys, if we don't have a decent showing to this tournament (25+ people) it will add a significantly large nail to the melee coffin. Let this be an event we do right.

dawn001

Smash Ace
Well...... Am down like James brown .. I've been trying to test my falco out so..this is the time. I'll try to let the other Houston players Know about it .. It's going down.

Jake13

Smash Lord
in the first post it says venue fee is one dollar but you mean ten, right?

edit:: im so confused about this ^ what with offering to knock off five dollars earlier. hmph

with that being said I'll be there and so will Oscar.

hype hype subscribe hype

oh and game plan for after the tourney: we all go to Frenchy's. I've never been and being a lonely little white boy i'm scared to go all by myself :(

dilling

Smash Apprentice
Frenchy's! Reppin the 3rd Ward!

Jake - Without using the room as a fundraiser, we couldn't collect money (i.e. no payout to winners). That's why there's a venue fee of $1.

Jake13

Smash Lord
Frenchy's! Reppin the 3rd Ward!

Jake - Without using the room as a fundraiser, we couldn't collect money (i.e. no payout to winners). That's why there's a venue fee of $1.
lol nah man this is what i was talking about:

I will wave $5 of the venue fee for a full setup, so that's the entire fee if you bring one. Thanks for asking

if the venue fee is one dollar and five are knocked off the price, are we getting four bucks for bringing a setup? :D

blackfox51

Smash Cadet
Just when I was wondering if there was a tourney in Houston this summer haha
I'm 50/50 right now, but I'm so willing to attend.

Blitz57

Smash Rookie
no sorry I will not be giving out money for setups.
I needed to update the original post, Ill do that now though, but the 1 dollar will be waived.

Diglob

Smash Cadet
Maaaaan, I'm going to be coming back from a vacation on July 10th. -___________-;

Would've been my first Melee tournament...can I at least drop by and watch if I come back soon enough? >.>

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I think i will go to this. If you need help running it, i am more than willing to help. I will bring over 10 surge protectors and 3 150foot extension cords and 2 6footers. Ill also bring a tv/wii(i need melee though).

EDIT: why the hell is pkmn1 for 2vs2 only? ****ing ********. Could u use MLG rules?

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
You guys suck! I'm commissioned to do San Japan the same weekend.

Would be awesome if this was the next weekend after or something.

Blitz57

Smash Rookie
Xyro please bring all that stuff, and if I ever have any questions I will certainly pm you

and I suppose that in like 2 or 3 weeks we could do it again, or just have smash-fests there every other week. It is surprisingly easy to reserve rooms on campus during the summer.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
I wish I could go to this but will be out of town that weekend. But I do like the idea of holding more smash events at this location throughout the summer!

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Pound4 ruleset. It diminshed the more extreme counterpicks so it isn't always just about winning the random
stage and then just ****** on your cp. Stage striking makes it more fair so you don't have to face a Marth on Yoshi's first round or a spacie on stadium and you don't have to
use your ban on a starter stage

dilling

Smash Apprentice
Although I doubt any of you have, if you DID check out what room we were in (the Tejas room), you would have noticed that it is a fairly small room. As such, we went ahead and upgraded to the Mediterranean room (complete with kitchen!), which is more than three times bigger. It should provide for a more suitable melee playing environment.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Pound4 ruleset. It diminshed the more extreme counterpicks so it isn't always just about winning the random
stage and then just ****** on your cp. Stage striking makes it more fair so you don't have to face a Marth on Yoshi's first round or a spacie on stadium and you don't have to
use your ban on a starter stage
But I like Pokemon Stadium as a neutral....

Even though I would admit it is in fox or falco's favor in most matchups.

Top Bottom