• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inside the Bomb Shop - The Toon Link Social Thread

Which Toon Link Color Are you?

• Total voters

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Mostly I need to refine my AGT stuff. Especially pulling out a bomb without fast-falling.

B.W.

Smash Champion
That takes some getting used to. You have to hit down as soon as you double jump or AGT so that you're not within a fastfall window. It just takes being quick.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Oh, yeah. AGT is real useful. Shouldn't take too long to get used to the options you have with it though, as well as not fast falling.

D

Deleted member

The Dev build of TL has links fast fall iirc so hopefully in 3.0 we actually have a fast fall :)

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
I need to upload some of my matches, I've yet to place below 3rd at NC Locals though. I've just now discovered this section of the boards so I'll probably post more. I've never actually seen another toon link play either, do you guys use zair, if so how?

Jolteon

I use zair very sparingly. The move itself isn't really good but the fact that you can cancel an air dodge with it is nice, I like using it as a poke vs moves that don't have many active frames on them.

Jolteon

Up to the point of saying 2.1 TL was more fun to play than 2.6b TL?
The changes from 2.1 to 2.6b have been minor enough that I can see anyone saying they prefer X variant for X reason. There is no change significant enough from 2.1 to really turn you off the character unless you just didn't like him much in the first place. That said, I prefer 2.6b TL myself since 2.6 bair and removal of mandatory rang catch animation are welcome improvements IMO.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
The changes from 2.1 to 2.6b have been minor enough that I can see anyone saying they prefer X variant for X reason. There is no change significant enough from 2.1 to really turn you off the character unless you just didn't like him much in the first place. That said, I prefer 2.6b TL myself since 2.6 bair and removal of mandatory rang catch animation are welcome improvements IMO.

2.1 TL didn't kill anything, remember?

Jolteon

2.1 TL didn't kill anything, remember?
Dark times eh? :p

Anyway, I promise you guys that you have good things to look forward to in 3.0! I don't think there will be any dispute over which rendition of TL is the most fun at that point. :)

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
I know Young Link's Moomoo Milk taunt has been incorporated for Toon Link but wouldn't it make more sense for Toon Link to drink something like Grandma's Elixir Soup or a potion instead? (There's no Moomoo Milk in Wind Waker from what I know lol)

GingaBread

Smash Cadet
Dark times eh? :p

Anyway, I promise you guys that you have good things to look forward to in 3.0! I don't think there will be any dispute over which rendition of TL is the most fun at that point. :)
:O I love TL but just really picking him up as a serious secondary. I'm so excited for 3.0 if there's noticeable TL improvements :DD

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
just played four matches of PM with my buddy who mains ike. i forgot to wavedash and ike's sword has too much range for me to really shffl any of my moves in. i lost 3/4 matches because i fell and gave him a free stock. he broke my sheild twice and got a OHKO. and the fourth match i still lost by the way, i just didn't fall that time.
guys, i'm literally crying salt.
;_;
. .
. .
. .

GeZ

Smash Lord
just played four matches of PM with my buddy who mains ike. i forgot to wavedash and ike's sword has too much range for me to really shffl any of my moves in. i lost 3/4 matches because i fell and gave him a free stock. he broke my sheild twice and got a OHKO. and the fourth match i still lost by the way, i just didn't fall that time.
guys, i'm literally crying salt.
;_;
. .
. .
. .

Just punt Ike for going in too hard, or take more advantage of his trying to space with your projectiles. WD OoS. All will be well.

On a COMPLETELY different note, how do you guys feel about Outset Isle Tink using his training sword and shield? I think it's pretty freaking great.

D

Deleted member

Yeah NES Toonlink and Outset Toonlink will become the only viable toonlinks. Green and Red are okay, blue/purple are awful, dark is for emo ****.
also TL vs. Ike is just like stuff his face with projectiles, he has a huge sword but you can out space/camp him so focus on baiting and punishing.

Jolteon

Pfft. Red and purple are top tier atm until outset comes out. NES and dark link are awful =3

D

Deleted member

NES is the best, Dark is for ******s
Red is pretty good, not the best but I can be ok with that. Purple is fraudulent
Outset will be like 5 foxes mixed into 1 tho

D

Deleted member

If you're tempted to go to kirby then go
YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T KNOW A GOOD 12 YEAR OLD WHEN YOU SEE ONE :mad:

B.W.

Smash Champion
Don't worry. We'll still be together. Kind of...

When I swallow a piece of your soul.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Toon Link is great, plays like a perfected hybrid of his Brawl counterpart and Young Link. However—and I'm sure this subject has been brought up before—I was really hoping the PM team might evolve his moveset into something more original, drawing inspiration from items wielded by the various Toon Links/Classic Links in the Zeldaverse. A brief, mock special moveset:

Neutral Special — Ice Arrow
Toon Link fires an Ice Arrow. When fully charged, it freezes opponents, otherwise dealing normal ice damage. OR, the longer it's held, the longer the opponent is frozen, maxing at x seconds.

Side Special — Fire Rod
Toon Link swings the Fire Rod forward, slinging a sphere of fire (similar to Mario's fireball) in a trailing line.

Up Special — Deku Leaf
Given three puffs, Toon Link is able to float and then shortly glide his way back towards the stage. Puffing in place raises him three intervals.

Down Special — Iron Boots/Pegasus Boots
Tapping Down B activates the Iron Boots, weighing Toon Link down, but halving his knockback reception. Holding Down B long enough equips the Pegasus Boots, with which Toon Link begins to run in place for a held amount of time (maxes out after x seconds). Upon release, he charges forward with his sword at a speed rivaling Jigglypuff's rollout. Upon completing the charge, he resumes his normal play without special boots.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Kinda not the place for this stuff. T.Link is awesome as is. I'd hate to see a drastic moveset change after all this

Jolteon

Thanks for the post, Spire.

FWIW we have looked at changing TL's specials before, we ended up not doing so in order to maintain a sense of familiarity for Melee's Young Link players, as his specials (in particular his bomb and boomerang) are an integral part of his Melee playstyle. Instead we opted to Luigify/declone him through several of his normals, allowing him to keep a relatively similar playstyle to YL's with a fresh design that separates him from Link.

B.W.

Smash Champion
The real question is, when are you going to replace the flail taunt with something cooler?

I vote the blue stone with the king of red lions going "Hey!" In his old man voice

Jolteon

A new taunt is always possible of course, but be aware that we have bigger priorities.

D

Deleted member

as of right now toonlink is pretty much perfect IMO. Nothing really needs to be changed.

D

Deleted member

if anything, the first taunt to be focused on is his milk taunt, WHY ISN'T THAT ELIXIR SOUP

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Sure, I'll catch the bait
what do you have?
I think I found a way to instantly cancel out of his up B off a ledge right back on, while the up B has his air hitbox.

this been found out yet?

I saved a replay and am currently trying to capture footage of the tech via capture card

Last edited:
Top Bottom