• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Instant mid animation UP-B edge cancel on any stage (even without sloped edges)

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
actually this was discovered a long time ago but i missed it right here
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=214367&highlight=fortresshog
so yhea ignore this thread lol

So basically I discovered a way of UP-B edge cancelling instantly on any stage regardless of which way bowser is turned DURING ANY POINT IN THE ANIMATION.
This means you can UP-B edge cancel just like on Yoshi's Story but on any stage if you do it correctly.

How to do it:
1. Use up-b
2. Move towards the edge
3. Just before you're about to slip off, slam the analog stick in the opposite direction or neutralize it very quickly. The timing here is kind of tricky.

It's that simple. It's all based on momentum, basically you have to slip off with as little momentum as possible, but still enough to actually slip off the edge. The timing and spacing of bowser at which you have to slam the stick in the opposite direction can be hard to get at first, but it's very much possible. You can also neutralize it quickly or hold it up, but I find that slamming it in the opposite direction of is the easiest way (atleast for me)

A great way to practice without dying all the time is to do it on a platform on DL64/BF/YS. and look at how far Bowser travels after he's slipped off. If you go very far then it means you would've falled off and died. If you don't travel very far, then it means you would've grabbed the edge and survived.

So to be clear: THIS CAN BE DONE DURING ANY POINT OF THE ANIMATION (except at the very end of it if you're facing towards the edge, just like with the UP-B edge cancel on YS). It is JUST AS FLEXIBLE as the UP-B cancel Bowser has on YS. But it works on ANY STAGE.

Here's a video displaying the technique:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK7t9QdJ0aY

Feel free to ask questions and if there's something that's unclear I will try to explain it better and/or make some video showing what's up.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
well, thats usually how I do my up b edge hogs, and I still can't do it facing the wrong way. in your video you only do this facing the way you're supposed to for the up b edge hog. can you post another one of you doing it both ways so I can actually see if I'm doing something wrong? lol

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
With this technique it does not matter which direction you're facing. With the old technique of waiting to the end of the up-b animation you have to be faced away from the edge for it to work (which is most likely the one you're using).

Top Bottom