• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting Boomerang fact

Kibb Wii

Smash Rookie
This may becommon knowledge to many of you but I have come across something interesting.When the boomerang is used at a reasonable distance the gust pushes your opponent. Any closer and it hits them like an attack. Now, if used at point blank range it will knock the person BEHIND you. This will almost always give you a free Fsmash or Up B if your fancy(maybe even a jab lock....but lets not push it). This little trick has been quite handy in comboing but is pretty situational due to the spacing required.
Sorry if im repeating old news just trying to help.
Oh and i also found out that a hit by the boomerang never directly kills, even at 999%(which kinda sucks....)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
This is actually an interesting topic. If you hit the opponent in the back (If they are bending over and you hit the back of their head, despite being in front of them), it will send them a certain direction, while hitting them face-on will send them another direction.

I would verify this on my Wii, except I can't right now :laugh:

-Mars-

Smash Hero
The only thing about this is throwing a boomerang that close to your opponent isn't really a good idea.....good find though.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I just thought you might like to know, why.
The reason why the Boomerang hits your opponent to the other side of you when used up close is because the hit box of the boomerang starts further out in front of you then you would expect. (I already knew this about Toon.) It's also character specific. Like if you used it on a fatty, it wouldn't work because it would still hit their side closest to you. It's also percent specific. I haven't actually tested this with Link, but with Toon it stops working at around 60%? (I can't remember). It is useful for following up with attacks, but like marsulas said, throwing the Boomerang that close isn't a good idea because it is very punishable. But you could use it safely on an opponent if they have a forced get up from a jab lock (Or you could just smash them, but it's just a thought).

But hey, every little bit helps. Thanks for sharing your findings with everyone.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
actually point blank boomerang's aren't bad, because i'm pretty sure link catches the boomerang during throw animation, so he doesn't have to go through the catch animation. it's still a slow move, but the windup is good enough so u can do an attack after if it connects. space :D so they cant shield grab u or something

Kibb Wii

Smash Rookie
i actually have a replay where i comboed bomb, into point blank boomerang, into Fsmash on ZSS. If I had a way to upload it on youtube I would show you. Its pretty slick.

Mewter

Smash Master
Coolio. And people actually fall for this point-blank stuff, sometimes. :laugh:

Can this be DI'd out of?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah no worries.
Just for the record. It's generaly not ok to double post. So next time, try editing your post. No harm done or anything, but it's the rules and you wouldn't want to get an infraction or anything.

trumpet210

Smash Rookie
The boomerang has so much potential, a lot of people don't realize it because they instantly dismiss it as too punishable. I generally throw it downwards to give it an upwards bounce, which a) brings the hit-box a bit upwards so it will catch the opponent mid-jump and b) often shoots over their heads, only to waft them right back to me into a smash attack.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
The boomerang has so much potential, a lot of people don't realize it because they instantly dismiss it as too punishable. I generally throw it downwards to give it an upwards bounce, which a) brings the hit-box a bit upwards so it will catch the opponent mid-jump and b) often shoots over their heads, only to waft them right back to me into a smash attack.
Be careful with that... you're asking to get punished by any competent player. :\

trumpet210

Smash Rookie
It's all about the mind-games; I just keep this in the arsenal to have more options. I wouldn't ever use it repetitively.

Top Bottom