• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Internet Censorship 2.0: FML

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I really want to know what the government hopes to accomplish with this bill other than censoring the **** out of the internet. Yeah, I'm sure power and control are two of the main reasons, and that the uber conservatives can know they are able to live comfortably whilst keeping their anuses tighter than the skin on a snare drum, but other than that, what would they accomplish? I doubt copyright protection and piracy are the only reasons.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I visit Wiki all the time .-.

Also, Google staff member called out Rush Limabugh on one of his tweets in regards to Obama's decision on drawing a line where he stands about SOPA. The Google Staff member pretty much said that they invest a huge amount of money to shut down pirated and "tainted" sites to say the least.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
@LT: They should really do so. If it is that important, it's that important.

They can't just ignore it. :/

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't see how the government is going to care about a MLG site closing down in protest.

They probably think all gamers ARE software pirates

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's not for the government...

It's to raise awareness for the site's users to get involved and try to stop it.

etecoon

Smash Hero
There's a chrome extension that can help you identify the parasites responsible for this apparently

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115084-New-Google-Chrome-Extension-Reveals-SOPA-Supporters

This...wouldn't be an issue at all anymore if the mainstream media had any sense/wasn't completely corrupt. It's interesting how social media has started to replace it, if the internet survives the people who are trying to cripple it in this generation it's going to bring even more serious change when all of the old people who only read newspapers and watch fox news die off.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Again it's not going to get through. Just like the world isn't going to end on December 2012, yet people don't take that one seriousl,y but take this one for some reason.

Anyway argue about it all you want but as soon as it's shot down, as it's almost painfully obvious to see, then I'll be coming back here to point out that exactlty what I said was going to happen, happened.

Then in a few months time we'll rinse and repeat all this when the Internet is totally gonna be censored for realz this time guys.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
If everyone just stood idly by like you and did nothing to stop it both of the bills would've gone through, just like ndaa.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
If everyone just stood idly by like you and did nothing to stop it both of the bills would've gone through, just like ndaa.
Sure. Just like how if we don't bring attention to December 2012 the world will end. But hey maybe they aren't the same, maybe one is completely crazy to believe and the other one isn't completely crazy to believe because

Right I'll be back when this falls through. If it passes then sure I'll come here and bold it, underline it, and increase the size of my text just so you can see me standing corrected. I'll make a few paragraphs detailing the fact I was wrong then I'll point out how crappy your democracy is for being "the best country in the world".

But it's not going to go through, so instead I'll be back pointing out that everything I've been saying all along has suspiciously been spot on, then after a while we'll start this whole fiasco all over again in a new delete the Internet thread.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
>comparing a bill that has gotten widespread support and funding from pretty much every large media corporation to a theory about the apocalypse

Yeah, okay. Keep going with that. I'm sure someone will agree with you eventually.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Sure. Just like how if we don't bring attention to December 2012 the world will end. But hey maybe they aren't the same, maybe one is completely crazy to believe and the other one isn't completely crazy to believe because

Right I'll be back when this falls through. If it passes then sure I'll come here and bold it, underline it, and increase the size of my text just so you can see me standing corrected. I'll make a few paragraphs detailing the fact I was wrong then I'll point out how crappy your democracy is for being "the best country in the world".

But it's not going to go through, so instead I'll be back pointing out that everything I've been saying all along has suspiciously been spot on, then after a while we'll start this whole fiasco all over again in a new delete the Internet thread.
The problem is that this bill even exists and that the great majority of the people in power agree that it should be enacted. You are thinking in incredibly small terms and timeframes. This bill should not even have been considered and the outrage over it is not strong enough, to be honest. "Eh, nothing could possibly happen so let's just ignore it" is one of the most stupidly ignorant and flaccid perspectives that anyone could have and it is exactly the type of thinking that big government wants all of their citizens to be in.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Right I'll be back when this falls through. If it passes then sure I'll come here and bold it, underline it, and increase the size of my text just so you can see me standing corrected.
How are you going to come back on here if it passes and the site is shut down due to copyright infringement?

D

Deleted member

Sure. Just like how if we don't bring attention to December 2012 the world will end.
did you even read this when you typed it? my god.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It is indeed interesting timing on when they arrested Kim DotCom. Too bad, too, MegaUpload was one of the better file-storage services.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
This is the FBI flexing their muscle.

Yesterday, the internet did the best it could: about 8 - 24 hours of black outs. The FBI did theirs: Killing a storage hub.

The war on the Internet will not end with these bills' deaths.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't get how they were able to arrest them when they weren't anywhere near the US.
Isn't that what SOPA/PIPA were for?

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
That's how anonymous retaliated? By doing something useless like that? The top comments are right, it's like vandalising McDonald's billboards.

Even worse couldn't that be used against them? You're worried that old people will vote through this bill, a big website with piracy links is taken down, then hackers start taking down the FBI's website in response? How's that going to look to those old people.

Anonymous just create temporary distubances but fail to do anything when given a big challenge. They failed to take down Amazon, and they failed to take down the Mexican drug ring dramatically.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
55 years

55 years for what amounts to selling counterfeit goods.

55 years

murderers in many states get shorter sentences

what the ****

**** this country.
Someone pointed out that if you pirate a Michael Jackson song you get five or six years in prison. That's one year more than the doctor got for killing him.

etecoon

Smash Hero

Thoughts? I'm on board with this because there is nothing I'm interested in for march anyway, Xenoblade is out in april :)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
So, then do it through May.

The point of a boycott is to not buy stuff when you would have, not to boycott where conveninent.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Not only would that be pointless when everyone else has dropped it, the fact that video game companies are being targeted is silly to begin with. Sony is the only console manufacturer that is a proponent of these acts, and I severed my business with them a long time ago partly because they consistently are involved in shady bull **** like this. No sense boycotting Nintendo/Monolith for what the MPAA and friends are doing, if anything it helps to have the juxtaposition of companies still doing well during this that don't back this kind of legislation. I agree with you in principle, ideally no one should do business with those companies to begin with(and for the most part I don't, and I've gone through a list of corporations that supported SOPA to stop as much as possible), but you have to target the right people.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Right, that article says Sony, EA, and Nintendo still support SOPA.

+ the site I linked is one of the sites keeping it as up-to-date as possible.

I cannot see Nintendo of America opposing SOPA. I think all entertainment based companies do in some way.

etecoon

Smash Hero
these three companies had not specifically come out in favor of SOPA, but rather had signed onto a letter from the US Chamber of Commerce (or, rather, its front group, the Global IP Center) which was sent before SOPA was introduced. While it does urge Congress to support something like SOPA, it was not a direct endorsement of SOPA itself.
Not quite. Though trying to absolve Sony here because their gaming division hasn't specifically spoken is pretty ludicrous when you see like every other branch of Sony on that list. Especially when you look at Sony's anti-consumer history, it would be completely out of character for their gaming division to be against it as well as out of line with the rest of Sony.

I do agree though that NoA probably would support it even if they haven't publicly said so, NoA -is- pretty terrible.

Top Bottom