• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interview with Mangooo

Wschl

Smash Apprentice
Wuschel So well. Here we got Mango, the actual #1 in the Melee scene.
Mango, to start, can u tell us a few details about your person?

PrrettyMango69 I am 18 years old I live in the best place in the world NORWALK BABY
PrrettyMango69 Names mango because when i was in 5th grade i was playing Counter Strike and i was hungry so i changed my name to mango and my friend called me mango.... =D

Wuschel So Smash is not the only game ur playing? how can u stay at the Worlds number one place in smash while u concentrate on other games as well?

PrrettyMango69 I play alot of games =D, Im currently playing WoW for some reason and I play counter strike all the time.
I dont know why or how I've remained the best I dont practice as much
But to me Smash is like Riding a bike you never forget and you can only get better at it
And I can read people like no other and got amazing consistent teck skill ^_^

Wuschel Ok so we can go straight to the masterquest(ion) (höhöh :D) :

Do you see yourself winning Apex?

PrrettyMango69 WELLL IF I WAS GOING TO APEX I WOULD FOR SURE
loooooool

Wuschel Is there any reason ur not going there? (my bad, didnt know this lol)

PrrettyMango69 Ummmmmmmmmmm Tickets are super expensive andd the tourney director is a Dbag
loooooooooooooooool

Wuschel But if ur winning the Tourney the super expensive tickets shouldnt be a problem at all. Also, i heard ppl like Alphazealot hostin this, which alrdy prove themselves. Are these really the only reasons?

PrrettyMango69 Yeah well im reaching a point where im just bored with winning and I dont feel like traveling as much anymore
Time for Mango to Retire lool

Wuschel So ur quitting smash somehow?

PrrettyMango69 Nah Just not gonna take it as serious and not travel as much

Wuschel Okey. So without you, who are the top favourites for this Tourney in ur opinion?

PrrettyMango69 UMMMMMMMMMM
Well alot of Wc isnt going or else I would chose them
I like going for jman.. Just because hes got heart lool.. and m2k because i kinda like him

Wuschel Most people are thinking about Armada and Hungrybox . How do u see that?

PrrettyMango69 WELL I HATE HBOX AND I GOTTA HATE EUROPE.. SO no Comment LOL

Wuschel Well after i hit that point.. U have surely seen the "hbox eats a Mango" video. Can u really ignore this?

PrrettyMango69 THAT IS THE DUMMEST VIDEO IVE EVER SEEN
EVER
HOW IS THAT OFFENSIVE?

Wuschel Well its somehow obvious : u call urself mango, he eats a mango...

PrrettyMango69 DUMB!!!!

Wuschel How come that u dislike him so much?

PrrettyMango69 Id rather not go into that
LOL

Wuschel ok. Even though many ppl would like to know this...

Pause...

With Apex, there gonna be the biggest Smash tournament in history. What do u see for the future of smash?

PrrettyMango69 I can guranteeeee that apex will not be the biggest tourney alot of people are dropping out
And smash will be fine it always pulls out fine

Wuschel You dont seem to know about the european scene too much right?
With ur statement from above, i can assume ur not planning on traveling to europe in the next time?

PrrettyMango69 I dont know too much about the euros
ANDDD I would love to go to europe if I could find someone to go with me that isnt such a broke douchebag
lol

Wuschel And u cant find such a person? Many european would like to welcome u. There are also few players wo think u will fail Pal version

PrrettyMango69 Maybe go after I get my first year of college done or something.. And THOSE people dont know much then ^_^. Id play it for like 10 mins and get the hang of it .. AND AT MOST id play puff she doesnt look that difrrent in that game =D

PrrettyMango69 is done*

Wuschel (is done?o0)

PrrettyMango69 after i get my first year of college done
WAIT
that made perfect sense
HOLD UP
im confused
LOL
nvm
dont edit ****
i fuked up
LOOOL

Wuschel Well, u know any talented smashers who didnt came out big yet, but surely will soon?

PrrettyMango69 UMMMMMMM
Ive been playing with Alex19/dunk alot .. Hes got this dunk

Wuschel Y but he alrdy sorta came out big with ur **** combo video...Will there be a 3rd Video to complete a triology?

PrrettyMango69 ;-)

Wuschel NO information on that?:p

PrrettyMango69 You get a winky face and thats it ^_^

Wuschel so were comin to the end of this interview..maybe some tips for new players.. Training mehtods..and stuff?

PrrettyMango69 Just to try and work on teck skill
Cant do anything if your not consistent. Shouldnt have to worry about your teck skill mid match should be trying to pick up bad habits and stuff

Wuschel Would u suggest training against Cpu`s ?

PrrettyMango69Yeah thats always alright
Nothing bad to doing it

Wuschel Okey. And finally the last line :
Shoutouts to any1? how did u like this interview?

PrrettyMango69
SHOUTOUTS TO JOEY FOR BEING A *****
TO NORWALK FOR BEING ABSOLUTELY AMAZING
TO EUROPE FOR SUCKING D***
TO USA FOR BEING THE GREATEST PLACE IN THE WHOLE WOLRD
WOLRD*
TO EVERYONE ELSE WHO ISNT HBOX <333
And this interview was good =D

Wuschel Ok. Thank you for the interview. Good night sir

SDC

Smash Lord
PrrettyMango69 Maybe go after I get my first year of college done or something.. And THOSE people dont know much then ^_^. Id play it for like 10 mins and get the hang of it .. AND AT MOST id play puff she doesnt look that difrrent in that game =D

PrrettyMango69 is done*

Wuschel (is done?o0)

PrrettyMango69 after i get my first year of college done
WAIT
that made perfect sense
HOLD UP
im confused
LOL
nvm
dont edit ****
i fuked up
LOOOL
And this guy's our champ. lol <3

And why does he hate Hbox? Does anyone know this?

MDU

Smash Cadet
Haha. I just find it funny that our community's World champion, rivaled by none, who decides to win a tournament with any character he wants, can't really be bothered to train and has to give himself handicaps just so he isn't bored with how bad everyone else is. Those, who try so hard training their main, and practise every other day, are curbstomped by this guy who is using his Tertiary's whilst half drunk.

I don't think a video game has ever had such a dominant player ever. Considering the BEST starcraft player has probably got a win % of around 60%, we get an idea of why Mango seems to be slightly bored.

NeutralDamage

Smash Journeyman
I loved Mango's playstyle, but it's about time for this clown to retire. Hopefully we will get a new, more honorable champ that doesn't belong to a circus with a vodka bottle lol.

strawhats

Smash Master
how very polite of him to not go to apex just because he knows and is scared of the fact that armada will beat him.
lol...i definitely would've like to see how that would've gone...he said the only way he'll be going t this is if he gets a free trip out of it...someone has to pay for his plane tickets and I guess split the cost of a hotel room with him. Plus for some reason he hates Alex Strife (is it me or do WC people have issues with Alex Strife).

and lol Neutroni, although i always thought mango was a douche i always found him to be what this game needed...a light hearted free spirit that could give 2 ****s about money and didnt care what other people thought of him while still looking out for his friends...he kinda embodies the character in my avatar (luffy ftw)

all that being said...either m2k returning to form or armada would be a replacement for mango.

all that being said...either m2k returning to form or armada would be a replacement for mango.
Mew2King is considering retiring Melee for barlw. A MLG national barlw tournament has a $12,500.00 payout for first place. That's like 6 super-big tournaments, before taxes. Plus there's always regular MLG events which happen like every 2-3 months with payouts of $2,500.00. That's really good money for a Smash player. ****** with MetaKnight is his job.

ARmada or Hungrybox are the most likely to take over.

strawhats

Smash Master
i would say Hbox, but dont take this the wrong way, but watching hbox dominate everyone would be painful (campy *** puff is bad for melee). Armada is the more favorited of the two. He's like a younger M2K with as much skill as him and finesse, edgeguarding skills, and crafted technical perfection with his floaty (m2k=marth/armada=peach). Plus his matches are entertaining. It would also be good for the game if for the first time we had a champion overseas.

Also lol at mango disrespecting Apex saying it wont be the biggest melee tournament of all time (the way its looking now...he may very well be right. I considered Apex to be more of a brawl than melee tourney anyway...plus people are dropping out left and right (no Amsah, CJ, Calle W, prob no Mango, HMW, Shroomed, Phil, possible no SilentSpectre) dayumn.

Apex will **** either way. (I hope)

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I think mango is just simply the isai off melee anymore to be put that way it doesn't matter who he picks he will win and be super sexy. maybe he should try playing more random. pichu is mindgame funs.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
how much is a ticket to apex?

surely the winnings would cover the cost,

all big international melee tournaments in america should be in socal or norcal so at least scorp might show up.

but if mango doesn't go to apex, Im probably not even gonna watch the livestream.

armada should just go to gsg this weekend lol.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Haha. I just find it funny that our community's World champion, rivaled by none, who decides to win a tournament with any character he wants, can't really be bothered to train and has to give himself handicaps just so he isn't bored with how bad everyone else is. Those, who try so hard training their main, and practise every other day, are curbstomped by this guy who is using his Tertiary's whilst half drunk.

I don't think a video game has ever had such a dominant player ever. Considering the BEST starcraft player has probably got a win % of around 60%, we get an idea of why Mango seems to be slightly bored.
When you have a combination of talent + skill, you get the best player in the world. Oh and don't compare real games to Korean starcraft, those *****s predetermine matches harder than WWE.
how very polite of him to not go to apex just because he knows and is scared of the fact that armada will beat him.
didn't you super brag for armada winning p4? lol just stop, kid didn't even place top 3.
/troll

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
i never hyped up armada for pound 4, i had zero interest in smash at that point in my life. i didnt even know about armada going to pound 4 until long after.
i did hype him up for genesis though and said hed get atleast top 10, which most americans said was a ridicolous statement and that i was overrating him by alot and that hed be lucky to get top 20. i also said that he was the best peach but everyone said that he was so bad compared to the american peaches that he shouldnt even be considered one of the best.
how stupid i was.

Vro

Smash Lord
Genesis was summer of '09. Pound 4 was winter of '10. Your story does not add up.

We get it, Europe is good. But you're ****ing lying to yourself if you think anyone is better than Mango.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Genesis was summer of '09. Pound 4 was winter of '10. Your story does not add up.

We get it, Europe is good. But you're ****ing lying to yourself if you think anyone is better than Mango.
....i lost interest in smash during the summer of 09 (early, i had stopped playing and posting before genesis even. i only hyped him up very early on). how the hell does that not add up? -.-
if you dont beleive what im saying you can just look at my posting history.
edit: i recently got back into it during this summer.

Vro

Smash Lord
Sorry, the way you wrote it made it seem like it was chronologically ordered. Who falls out of smash then returns but doesn't follow his favorite pro going to America to prove all those ignorant fools wrong?

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Sorry, the way you wrote it made it seem like it was chronologically ordered. Who falls out of smash then returns but doesn't follow his favorite pro going to America to prove all those ignorant fools wrong?
me. :\ i know it's weird (but like i said my posting history proves me right)

Zone

Smash Champion
I hope shiz takes the scene :D

Him and colbol are like the nicest stranger/pro's I ever met.

boardsmash

Smash Cadet
hes not going to Apex and retiring. sounds like hes a little scared of being overthrown by some1 else
he just quits when hes ahead. good **** u have balls

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
there were like 11 people total found guilty of rigging starcraft matches. don't talk **** if you don't know what's going on.

also having a win rate of 60% in starcraft means something different than Mango's unbelievable win percent for a few reasons:

1) starcraft pros don't play dozens of matches against ****ty noobs to get into tournaments. Mango has to go through 3 rounds of pools to get to play against anyone that might come close to challenging him, which is something like 15 2-0s which gives him a huge boost to his winrate.

2) those are calculated by game, not by set. so mango's winrate against, say, armada, in those terms, would be 6-4 or something iirc. which is not as dominant as it makes it sound.

3) korean starcraft pros are paid to play that game, so the standard of play is extraordinarily high, and the top players are closer to each other.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
why was someone from Germany interviewing mango?

also mango isn't that much better than everyone.

he has won only one international tourney convincingly, pound 4.

genesis he lost a set to armada, and the first set of grand finals was mad close.

hes good, but I don't think he would dominate apex like he did pound.

I think his loss of interest is motivated by the chance of losing his title.

because if he was really that good, I mean he says tickets are expensive?

if he was planning on winning tickets would be free, plus like a thousand bonus money.

maybe scorpion master though...

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Not to **** ride here but considering a lot of you haven't played the guy I can't really see him dropping a tournament set in the foreseeable future.

We've done this every national, the whole "He's not going to win", gets old after about the third one he wins without dropping a set >_>.

MDU

Smash Cadet
I don't think people realise how good Mango is. And for those who think ARmada is better, I present you Pound 4 friendlies. Mango uses his tertiary and consistently beats ARmada, in a matchup where ARmada is obviously very experienced. THere is no one on the Earth that is even close to Mango's skill level.

He IS the Isai of Melee.

PB&J

Smash Hero
i dont know about no one on earth but the kid is pretty good at this game, but enuff about him

scorpion master will srape him alive

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I don't understand why there is so much emphasis on 'why' he's not going to take this game as seriously in terms of practice, travelling and general competitive play with it.

It's completely reasonable in every way that someone who has done so much on every front to make their decision on when they simply have had enough in terms of putting in the effort and energy into something.

It's the same way Ken left, it got to a point where he played for so long and travelled so much, meeting so many people and really getting all he could out of the experiences of the game and community, that there wasn't much left for him. There is more to life than this one game, than any one activity or centre, and eventually, inevitably, when someone gets so good as to hold their position for so long, there's only so long they will want to go uncontested before they have had enough. At that point, he has to rely on the rest of the entire world to keep growing in level so he can keep growing, and waiting for someone to grow past that sometimes doesn't happen as fast as hoped, especially with something with as much depth as melee. It's been over a decade, there's a reason (just as mango said) that melee will always pull through. The 'metagame' isn't over, and neither will a legacy like his. It's simply been long enough.

Instead of asking 'why' or 'what happens now', which will both either be answered with time or too complicated to explain in words since they both happen over the course of years, we should be thanking Mango. In a generation of smashers and a time where techskill thrived and space animals finally took over because of the overwhelming speed and technical potential that came with them in this erra, Mango came through with the new step. First with the mentality to go against the overwhelming pressure game through a Puff with a her floating aggressive style to shut down mobility, then with a laserless Falco to show how this whole techskill escapade could finally be abused with the right mentality behind it. He opened doors and made not only the world better at smash, but now leaves at a point where he has shown everyone that there is even more to this game than he even captured.

He can't go anywhere further until everyone else gets there and finishes what he started.
THAT'S what we should all be thinking when someone like this decides they're not going to going any further with it.

So thank you Mango, and thank you others in the last decade too. Everyone who had anything to do with the community or the innovation and evolution of the game.

Hugs... or I mean Armada... crap wrong one... Ka Scorpion Master 4 Lyfe
There we go... and whatever comes next.

Djent

Smash Champion
I don't understand why there is so much emphasis on 'why' he's not going to take this game as seriously in terms of practice, travelling and general competitive play with it.

It's completely reasonable in every way that someone who has done so much on every front to make their decision on when they simply have had enough in terms of putting in the effort and energy into something.

It's the same way Ken left, it got to a point where he played for so long and travelled so much, meeting so many people and really getting all he could out of the experiences of the game and community, that there wasn't much left for him. There is more to life than this one game, than any one activity or centre, and eventually, inevitably, when someone gets so good as to hold their position for so long, there's only so long they will want to go uncontested before they have had enough. At that point, he has to rely on the rest of the entire world to keep growing in level so he can keep growing, and waiting for someone to grow past that sometimes doesn't happen as fast as hoped, especially with something with as much depth as melee. It's been over a decade, there's a reason (just as mango said) that melee will always pull through. The 'metagame' isn't over, and neither will a legacy like his. It's simply been long enough.

Instead of asking 'why' or 'what happens now', which will both either be answered with time or too complicated to explain in words since they both happen over the course of years, we should be thanking Mango. In a generation of smashers and a time where techskill thrived and space animals finally took over because of the overwhelming speed and technical potential that came with them in this erra, Mango came through with the new step. First with the mentality to go against the overwhelming pressure game through a Puff with a her floating aggressive style to shut down mobility, then with a laserless Falco to show how this whole techskill escapade could finally be abused with the right mentality behind it. He opened doors and made not only the world better at smash, but now leaves at a point where he has shown everyone that there is even more to this game than he even captured.

He can't go anywhere further until everyone else gets there and finishes what he started.
THAT'S what we should all be thinking when someone like this decides they're not going to going any further with it.

So thank you Mango, and thank you others in the last decade too. Everyone who had anything to do with the community or the innovation and evolution of the game.

Hugs... or I mean Armada... crap wrong one... Ka Scorpion Master 4 Lyfe
There we go... and whatever comes next.
*claps*

10claps

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
I just wanted to say that Mango isn't the Isai of Melee because, wut, Isai's like frame-perfect in SSB64, LOL. No, I ain't hating on Mango. I'mma let you finish that train of thought, but MANGO'S STILL THE BEST MELEE PLAYER OF ALL TIME (maybe).

Mango for top tier.

Top Bottom