• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Into The New World :: Generation V Competitive Metagame Discussion

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Rampardos needs to get access to gen 4 move tutors in grey, so he can get encourage fire punch and thunderpunch, in addition to head smash and zen headbutt/crunch. cuz that would be ****ing awesome.
OMG.

Rampardos @ Life Orb
Encourage / Jolly
4 HP / 252 Atk. / 252 Spd.
~ Earthquake
~ Head Smash
~ Fire Punch
~ Thunderpunch / Crunch

Maybe like Rock Polish, but Rampardos is really frail.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Or be a man and use Choice Band.

Adamant +1 head smash has a chance to 1hko 252/252 impish Skarmory after stealth rock. Awesome.
It also 2hko's 252/196 sassy Nattorei that are running around all over the place that come in on a layer of spikes+sr. Anything weaker shouldn't even try walling it.

...except for steelix.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Get a Chansey to pass him Wishes and you're set. Nattorei could be a problem, though, with Steel Thorns or Iron Barbs or whatever.

Better yet, Trick Room.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I thought about natt a lot, but it's definitely possible to run Fire Blast on a non-choice set. It's encourage-boosted, so even with his ****ty spatk stat it would do alright with a life orb boost and minimal investment...hell, I just did a calc, it says a lot:

186 Atk+LO vs 363 Def & 354 HP (156 Base Power): 300 - 356 (84.75% - 100.56%)

That's max/max spdef ferrothorn. Rampardos has only 80 spatk EVs and a Life Orb.

He might legitimately be a new stallbreaker...mixed attacking stats, encourage-boosted Rock Slide, Fire Blast, Crunch, and Superpower/Zen Headbutt. What's on stall that resists that combination? XP

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Reminds me of when everything ran Hidden Power [Ice] in Little Cup except for Cranidos, who needed Blizzard's power to make up for his pathetic Sp. Atk. stat. Good stuff.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Except Cranidos has like 9 Special Attack in Little Cup, so Cranidos needed Blizzard in order to OHKO Gligar, IIRC.

Because Rampardos is beast and we love it. I used a shiny Rampardos for the Battle Frontier stuff. Pretty ridiculously powerful.

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
Mmkay. Pokemon Online is officially full of crap player-wise. I'm not that good, as I said, and I've not lost a single match yet after playing... a lot of matches, anyways.

alamaster

Smash Journeyman
I've been on Smogon a long time and Beta as well, and once you reach a certain level the competition becomes pretty even, mainly because its the same players battling on both servers. I find Beta has more diverse teams, whereas Smogon users have for the most part the same teams (sand, stall, rain, w/e) so it becomes easy to play against once you know how to beat all the standard stuff. Beta trips me up sometimes because you see stuff you don't see as often and can be tougher to deal with.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I agree. That's probably the worst feeling--scrubs using random stuff that is suddenly effective because you don't usually mess around with it.

GyaraVire OMG whaaaat? But I know what you mean. That's why when Smogon establishes a UU I'll be playing there.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
thats why i like playing both. i really do enjoy the diversitiy that beta server has to offer, tho it kinda sucks that their tiers/bans are different....

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
i'd much rather play on PO

smogon runs standard **** and bulky fighting types and steels and it's gai

or they run ttar(hippo)/lati@s/breloom/shandera/dorry(garchomp)/landlos

but on po they run politoed/kingdra/kabutops/ludicolo(lati@s)/zapdos/nattorei

hmmmm.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol

still tho

i mean theres players like panamaxis who run hecka legit and creative stuff

top ladder just gets hard. way harder than po server can ever be

po is full of surprises, and more players to beat to go up the ladder.

they both have their strengths.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hehe yah do it. i have my good team which has done me well for months

and then i just make side janky teams for fun and to test out diff pokemon i like to see what's good

i love cm/barrier/assist power musharna LOL it's gotten me some good sweeps.

edit: mmmmm i love lilligant so much, just made a comeback from 2-4 with it. after a bdance in sun i can pretty much assure myself im not gonna get outsped.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
lol

still tho

i mean theres players like panamaxis who run hecka legit and creative stuff

top ladder just gets hard. way harder than po server can ever be

po is full of surprises, and more players to beat to go up the ladder.

they both have their strengths.
Smogon's BotW with a CB Gyarados OHKOing a Latias on the switch was one of the best moments in a battle I've ever seen.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I think the dark/steel type Pokemon whose head has a razer on top is pretty solid with a decent amount of defense and good typing with a solid move pool.
Kirikizan? I'd try running Swords Dance + Sucker Punch with Latios as previously suggested by someone earlier--I think Kirbyraeg.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah. its sucker punch is freaking STRONG like wth.

so hm... when is competitive spirit activated? on thinks like intimidate and moves like screech?

btw i never noticed swadloon's defenses are higher than leavanny's.... i'm bout to use that :p

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
It increases it by 2 stages for each stat drop. Therefore, if it gets intimidated, it gets a net +1 boost. And +2 for stuff like shadow ball lowering its special defense, etc.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Oh wait +2 Attack? That's sweet. Have they determined about Competitive Spirit + Close Combat? Or is the Attack raise the result of infliction from the opponent only?

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
That's what I thought too. Before reading it, thinking "Wait, that would make close combat, superpower, etc. broken powerful" and building a team around scarf primeape sweeping everything in sight.

On the other hand, this is good news for little cup, as it will make Mankey one of the best counters to stalling Murkrow imaginable in Dream World Little Cup.

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
Kekekeh. I found a way to stop SubDisable Gengar with Roobushin, assuming you play your cards right.

Dunno if anyone else has done this/thought of this, but...

Gengar generally just disables Roob's Payback on its second use, right? If you can see the Disable coming, Mach Punch instead. :D

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Disable is pretty common on gengar now, esp. since it will affect the move last used always now and as 100% accuracy(?). People that run subdisable just forget that he can 2hko stuff like that with shadow ball anyway. -_-

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. At first I was really cautious around Gengar, because I was expecting the amount of coverage it usually sported in the past, but it seems less common lately compared to a Disable set.

Top Bottom