• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Into The New World :: Generation V Competitive Metagame Discussion

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
ferroseed/clefable/golurk/seismitoad/uxie/slowking

idea is to just get spikes up and then do dumb stuff

it didn't use gravity very well at all, but there are no fast-ish ground types to abuse earthquake with.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
there are no fast-ish ground types to abuse earthquake with.
Use Rock Polish Steelix.

On a serious note though, what about Nidoqueen? It's not super fast but with Paralysis support it could be extremely threatening.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Nidoqueen @ Life Orb | Sheer Force
252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 Def / Modest
Earth Power / Gunk Shot / Blizzard / Thunder

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Nidoqueen @ Life Orb | Sheer Force
252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 Def / 0 Spe/ Modest
Earth Power / Gunk Shot / Blizzard / Thunder
Whaaaaaaaaat.

Nidoqueen needs at least 248 Spe (Modest) to outrun Absol, Roselia, and CB Golurk. kirbyraeg's team is super weak to Absol, so he needs to get on that ****.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I dunno, having Nidoqueen as your Absol counter is kind of iffy, she gets 2HKOed pretty hard by Night Slash + Sucker Punch. And both Nidoqueens work as a check.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Use Rock Polish Steelix.

On a serious note though, what about Nidoqueen? It's not super fast but with Paralysis support it could be extremely threatening.
i should've said it but golurk is an offensive rock polish set

nidoqueen is that awkward point where it isn't bulky enough to tank hits or fast enough to sweep through teams...i really wish krookodile was ru. i considered using rhydon too but it's extremely not bulky and i thought there were too many grass types it couldn't muscle through, but i never saw a tangrowth/bulky grass in all my laddering, so perhaps i'll give it a go and throw on bouffalant to cover the explicit grass weakness

love it, very quirky and colorful

are those pokes common in ru?
they aren't particularly, ferroseed is around and slowking is really common, but the others aren't so much

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
So i made a uu team which is doing pretty well. i dont have all the ev's memorized but here it is

cresselia
leftovers
whatever nature raises spc d and lowers attack
252 hp and some strange mix of def and spc def ev's

thunderwave
ice beam
moonlight
energy ball/charge beam/toxic

heracross :214:
moxie
jolly (i think)
leftovers

sub
close combat
stone edge
megahorn

Raikou :243:
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
leftovers
timid

sub
Calm Mind
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice

metagross (yea on po he is uu)
leftovers

sub
hone claws
eq
mm

co***
the berry that wakes you up

calm mind
rest
shadow ball
hp fighting

claydol
leftovers

rapid spin
sr
eq
toxic

(this team is pretty good, also i got lazy writing this stuff out as you might be able to tell)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I'd rather use Agiligross. The Hone Claws set sort of fills the same role as Heracross.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Would anybodt ever want to play 5th gen on a simulator with me?

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I know this isnt the place to ask this, but i am about to get a half priced ipad through school. Anyone know if ether po or showdown work on an ipad?

:phone:

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
So, having absolutely no idea how gen 5 works I've jumped into Pokemon Showdown using my Gen 4 team. So far I've faced a Rain Team that lost to my Breloom, a sun team that lost to my TTar, a Sand team that lost to a combination of my breloom and my infernape, a BP team that tried to pass shell smassh(which lost to my Scarf Zapdos) and like, 15 Genesects. So I finally looked up Genesect and why on earth is that an OU pokemon?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Genesect is up for ban and likely to get banned.

However, something you should worry about is Garchomp. He ain't gettin' banned any time soon and he runs over frail teams pretty easily.

Are you running Technician Breloom?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Genesect only has like five moves, so even if you aren't 100% sure it's Scarfed or LO or whatever, you still know what moves it's using. Also hilarious base speed. Still gay though.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Still putting money on Gene staying OU, so don't get any hopes up for it being gone soon.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Either a scarf or expert belt set. You don't know the difference. Guessing wrong can cost you a Pokémon. GG.

What do people here use against Deoxys-Ds?

lol Ulti what value does your opinion hold tho

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
What's a technician breloom? Sounds bad.

Why would i worry about Garchomp? I didnt worry about him back when he wasnt broken in Gen 4, im doubting they gave him something like Adaptability in Gen 5 or anything to make him worse.

I faced a couple Deoxys-D so far but every time they came out I was already at +1/+1 on TTar so they just died.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Technician ability on Breloom. It's really good.

Revenge kill? Sure. Sweep? Sure. Force your opponent to run Celebi or Latias or sac a poke each time it gets in? Priceless.
Oh and spore obv

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Either a scarf or expert belt set. You don't know the difference. Guessing wrong can cost you a Pokémon. GG.
Guess wrong and I lose a Pokemon. Guess right and Kyurem-B gets a free Sub, Heatran forces a switch, any one of my Scarfers kills you on the spot...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
None since I'm too lazy to ladder to top positions anymore.

Edit: Posts in this thread happen too fast

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Technician ability on Breloom. It's really good.

Revenge kill? Sure. Sweep? Sure. Force your opponent to run Celebi or Latias or sac a poke each time it gets in? Priceless.
Oh and spore obv
That's great and all, but it really feels like SporePunch breloom is still the best pokemon in the game, just like last generation. Just sit there killing things and heal all the health.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Guess wrong and I lose a Pokemon. Guess right and Kyurem-B gets a free Sub, Heatran forces a switch, any one of my Scarfers kills you on the spot...
Though the initiative is Genesect's because he has Uturn :hamtaro:

That's great and all, but it really feels like SporePunch breloom is still the best pokemon in the game, just like last generation. Just sit there killing things and heal all the health.
You really shouldn't be able to set up with sub 'loom these days. All the more power to you if you manage it though. :v

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Heatran always forces Gene out anyways.

It's why Gene+Dugtrio is okay.

Shell Shell or Choice Scarf tran solves that though.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Though the initiative is Genesect's because he has Uturn :hamtaro:

You really shouldn't be able to set up with sub 'loom these days. All the more power to you if you manage it though. :v
Idk, maybe it's because of all the bulky slow pokemon I've encountered, like Swampert, Ferrothorn and Hippo :dazwa:

Edit: that's not counting the surprising number of Politoed I've run into.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Well with swift swim/drizzle banned i didnt expect so many people to be running it. Not that I mind much, my team has a few pokemon that **** all over it.

Also I've seen a lot of gastrodon as well but never set up on it. Mostly i just hit it and it dies.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
PR all the good ladder people already went and hit reqs they're too lazy to play right now.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Because it sucks... It's weak against SR, it's not fast enough to pull off any sweeps, it's easily revenge killed, etc.

It's pretty much a slightly better Haxorus (for wall breaking that is).

Top Bottom