• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Tourneys don't need to last that late though.

I mean we have to travel an hour 1/2 to 2 hours to get to Des Moines. We normally get home around 4:30 Usually. That is kind of ridiculous to be honest. I don't really think thats our fault or Jokers. We could just set the tourney up earlier at like 1.

That extra hour will give us time to do crews for either game or other fun stuff Friendlies Money matches etc.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
The Venue Simply isn't large enough.

Blaz is a game that we shouldn't really consider for money though. If we do, It should be a main event rather than a tourney we wait to hold later on in the night. That won't happen though so I have to say that Blaz is something Iowa will have to travel to NE for.

I'm sure Joker feels somewhat the same. Same goes for TMNT. Just not enough time or space.
Even though space is limited T.T I think the main reason is that most people don't like either game much, I mean people will play them but not if it's more than a dollar or free >.<

Also I don't mind having BB however I like to have enough TVs for Brawl since it tends to have the bigger crowd and is not until the last few matches that people start using my TV(for recording) and that's when Love's TV becomes usable for BB so yeah <(^.^<)

The only problem with that even is people don't bother to show up on time.

Joker I'm really happy for you and i'ma let you finish, but I run Better Tourneys!

No but seriously Joker no offense. The time schedule is walked over by everyone. I know that with tourneys you need people to come. People shouldn't show up 30 minutes late. They aren't respecting your terms which is awful.

I'm not sure when exactly you WANT to start these. 2 in the afternoon is kind of late for most tourneys. You are running both Brawl events and getting 20+ entrants for both events. With the 4-6 Setups you have for Brawl(do you even have 4?)It just makes things run sloppy.

**People should be given 30 Minutes at most to get their food if they are entering a both events for the tourneys(singles and doubles). This isn't a leisurely time limit either. it should be in between the 2 events. If people can't make it back in time start the bracket and if you finish all your matches and they haven't come back they deserve to be disqualified. This is a tourney, A COMPETITIVE EVENT! It can be fun if you make it fun but rules are in order and need to be followed or their are consequences.

This is how I feel about your tourneys. I'm not trying to criticize you. Just some friendly critiquing :)

Also more people need to comeout and eat with us afterwards! i say vietnamese on fridays Ihop after the tourneys.
Yeah I know what you mean kinda like when you guys went for lunch mid tourney and took around an hour or so which stall both tourneys o.0
However this time around I had people sign up before lunch break so that if they haven't come back yet we can start with out them, then when they get back they play their matches.
The other thing is that people enter both Melee and Brawl which there's nothing wrong with that but that's the main reason both tourney get stall out cause Melee is waiting for the Brawl person to finish their match and Brawl is waiting for Melee to finish theirs then you add BB, TvC and any other side event well thats makes the tourney go way longer.
So really the way to make the tourney go by faster, it would be to do Melee/Brawl first and then:
  • Run the side tourneys after Melee/Brawl is done or
  • Have the side tourneys while Melee/Brawl is going but if they have a match for Melee/Brawl then that takes priority.
That's the only way I can think about unless someone has a different idea. I'll also like to mention that the way I did Brawl this time around we finish like 2hrs early >.0

BOLT08

Smash Lord
The only problem with that even is people don't bother to show up on time.

Joker I'm really happy for you and i'ma let you finish, but I run Better Tourneys!

No but seriously Joker no offense. The time schedule is walked over by everyone. I know that with tourneys you need people to come. People shouldn't show up 30 minutes late. They aren't respecting your terms which is awful.

I'm not sure when exactly you WANT to start these. 2 in the afternoon is kind of late for most tourneys. You are running both Brawl events and getting 20+ entrants for both events. With the 4-6 Setups you have for Brawl(do you even have 4?)It just makes things run sloppy.

**People should be given 30 Minutes at most to get their food if they are entering a both events for the tourneys(singles and doubles). This isn't a leisurely time limit either. it should be in between the 2 events. If people can't make it back in time start the bracket and if you finish all your matches and they haven't come back they deserve to be disqualified. This is a tourney, A COMPETITIVE EVENT! It can be fun if you make it fun but rules are in order and need to be followed or their are consequences.

This is how I feel about your tourneys. I'm not trying to criticize you. Just some friendly critiquing :)

Also more people need to comeout and eat with us afterwards! i say vietnamese on fridays Ihop after the tourneys.
Why so serious? Oh ****, yeah forgot you don't do anything for fun.

animeblitzballa33

Smash Ace
Hey Joker, do you happen to have a rogue wii at your house. I borrowed my friends for like 5 months cause mine was broken, and i thought i gave it back, but apparantly not and i gave him the one i found at my house, but now i cant find mine. Just wondering if it was possibly left at your house awhile back.

Tyserification

Smash Lord
I think people who come for Brawl should play Brawl and people who come for Melee should play Melee. By entering both, everything stalls and gets ******** not to mention Brawl mains suck jack at Melee and Melee mains suck ass at Brawl. Its a waste of money for entering the latter game and it costs [some what] valuable time.

This would make the Melee tournament dwindle to about 8 people but even when we hit 15 or so it doesnt matter since unless we play one of those 8, the match will be nothing but a silly joke.

All $1 entries shouldnt be held until the end of Brawl Doubles.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Melee vids are up in meh channel, 0-0

Clix
- combo damage nerfed (2700-3400)
- opponent can immediately tech after J214D hit (like Jin's 214B) NO MORE CRESCENT SABER COMBOS FOR JOO
- 5dd and 4dd no longer jump cancellable.
- 2C and 3C are slower
Quit life now Dekline. That or pick up Jin while I move on.

But nah "Lambda" won't be bad at all. Looks like her new act pulsar can be used offensively to combo and hits low. Crescent saber cancels faster and system shock waves go all the way across the screen(Stupid). Don't know why they'd make 2C and 3C slower then they already are but not touch her stupid anti-air swords at all. Range and hitboxes are apparently smaller, don't know how much of a difference yet though.

New Carl portrait:

If he doesn't end up being terrible I call dibs on the shota.

Dekline42

Smash Ace
Quit life now Dekline. That or pick up Jin while I move on.
?
But nah "Lambda" won't be bad at all.
From what I've read they are keeping her anti-air game the same and making her have to use melee on the ground, thats why there's the new act pulsar shenanigans and her 5DD->4DD doesn't combo/u can't jc out of it with j2DD. I think it will make her way more fun and slightly less annoying to play against. Also, it's really not gonna nerf her much, and slowing down the C moves just makes it so u cant throw em during bad shield pressure strings.

Side note: "System shock" or spike chaser already goes full screen if u charge it anyway
Super Side Note: Nu says "System Shero" which means "Systems active" when she does a spike chaser, its not the name of the move or anything

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
?

From what I've read they are keeping her anti-air game the same and making her have to use melee on the ground, thats why there's the new act pulsar shenanigans and her 5DD->4DD doesn't combo/u can't jc out of it with j2DD. I think it will make her way more fun and slightly less annoying to play against. Also, it's really not gonna nerf her much, and slowing down the C moves just makes it so u cant throw em during bad shield pressure strings.

Side note: "System shock" or spike chaser already goes full screen if u charge it anyway
Super Side Note: Nu says "System Shero" which means "Systems active" when she does a spike chaser, its not the name of the move or anything
It really won't nerf her much at all. Her 2C and 3C were already slow and punishable, and I haven't heard anything about being able to cancel 5DD with backdash/act pulser so I assume that will still be in, and she can still cancel her 5DD into 6/2DD. Crescent saber being techable like Ice Car kind of sucks, but being able to cancel it faster could make up for it.

Spike Chaser is an annoying move. Has decent enough recovery already, now she can get like fullscreen cover fire after her combos that send you across the field. I guess damage is really the main meat of her nerfs.

Trent

Smash Champion
Hey Joker, where'd you get that version of Dr. Wily's Stage that you had on Yoshi's Island? I never heard that version before I don't think.

BoredPeanut

Smash Journeyman
Litchi managed to avoid nerfs because she wasn't broken lol...

Jin's moveset was fine, he just needs more recovery time on some whiffs so he can be punished on something other than his DP's or Icecars. But I wouldn't bother buying a new BB if they did nothing but make a few moves slower, so they're changing a lot of stuff.

Dekline42

Smash Ace
It really won't nerf her much at all. Her 2C and 3C were already slow and punishable, and I haven't heard anything about being able to cancel 5DD with backdash/act pulser so I assume that will still be in, and she can still cancel her 5DD into 6/2DD. Crescent saber being techable like Ice Car kind of sucks, but being able to cancel it faster could make up for it.

Spike Chaser is an annoying move. Has decent enough recovery already, now she can get like fullscreen cover fire after her combos that send you across the field. I guess damage is really the main meat of her nerfs.
^ Truth. Also, spike chaser takes a "guard primer" if you block it, which I'm still not sure how that works yet. And 5DD->sickle comboes somehow -.^, but RCing a sickle into a drive combo is almost impossible supposedly. And if they changed crescent to have ice car techs that means the ground loop on tager/rachel/bang is gone, which is good since it's kinda broken.

Either way I'm lookin forward to it, it's lookin good.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Litchi managed to avoid nerfs because she wasn't broken lol...
You think that before I've picked her up.
:pikachu:

Jin's moveset was fine, he just needs more recovery time on some whiffs so he can be punished on something other than his DP's or Icecars. But I wouldn't bother buying a new BB if they did nothing but make a few moves slower, so they're changing a lot of stuff.
I just don't see why they should linearize so many combos. They could always change proration and damage instead of removing a bunch of combos entirely. They mainly seem to be getting rid of any ground-to-air combos.

A lot of it just seems backwards, unless the new moves are just totally cool/useful they're pretty much crippling Jin and Rachel.

^ Truth. Also, spike chaser takes a "guard primer" if you block it, which I'm still not sure how that works yet. And 5DD->sickle comboes somehow -.^, but RCing a sickle into a drive combo is almost impossible supposedly. And if they changed crescent to have ice car techs that means the ground loop on tager/rachel/bang is gone, which is good since it's kinda broken.

Either way I'm lookin forward to it, it's lookin good.
Comboing off of Spike Chaser is apparently harder too. Arksys doesn't like air combos. The ground loop on Tager in the corner and such were pretty dumb, but if you can't at least combo off CH saber then Nu kind of lost a pretty scary setup.

PortCity

Smash Ace
***** your probalry not even black, I should be saying stuff like that *****zzz.
They not, but these little kids get out of line on these boards quite often, so either just chill out and let them internet troll or find they house and teach them a lesson about the N word. Either or.

In other news...I would love to fight M2K lol....he tornado spams Diddy Kongs and tries to chase them down with glides into dair and nairs. LOL....he would be in for a surprise if he came to Iowa. AZ did a decent job against him, and I have slightly more respect for him even though he claims to be the best Diddy Kong in the Midwest hehehehe....

Kit and Jordan: It was entertainment playing ya'll and I apologize if I got out of line when I won, but coming back from a set deficit of 0 -2 and watching my partner win a 2 on 1 and then me winning a 2 on 1...1 stock to 3 on Rainbow Cruise... hehehe I kinda got excited :-D No hard feelings....and like Razor said, I love dramatic finishes...and that was a dramatic finish if i may say so myself.

Cook and Nicole: Nicole I apologize for calling you pet names while we were playing. I have a notorious habit with that. So please forgive me if I said anything out of line :-D....btw your Peach has gotten even better. Mr. Cook ... continue to **** all diddy kong's that are not me. Your pivot grab sends shivers down everyone's spine.

To the Link player (CTX?): You have a sick Link, play Toon Link and you might wreck more shops than you already wreck :)

Nebraska: Thanks for showing up...next time we should crew battle in Melee and Brawl.

sluys

Smash Journeyman
They not, but these little kids get out of line on these boards quite often, so either just chill out and let them internet troll or find they house and teach them a lesson about the N word. Either or.
what's the N word? :confused:

ps. can we plz win a doubles tourney before we retire. the date is fast approaching!

PortCity

Smash Ace
what's the N word? :confused:

ps. can we plz win a doubles tourney before we retire. the date is fast approaching!
1. HAHAHA...you grew up in Pella...I'm sure at LEAST 1 person there can enlighten you :-D

2. I can show up at 5 pm on November 14th. If the Brawl Team Tourney starts then or afterward I can show up and we can proceed to take the top place in the tourney :-D

3. Change that ICON....it's lame hahaha

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Hey Joker, do you happen to have a rogue wii at your house. I borrowed my friends for like 5 months cause mine was broken, and i thought i gave it back, but apparantly not and i gave him the one i found at my house, but now i cant find mine. Just wondering if it was possibly left at your house awhile back.
I looked around and I didn't found anything T.T

On a lighter note.....

This is for you Joker, well the first half anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf99KavqhLg
That was too good I also like the Kratos one XD

Hey Joker, where'd you get that version of Dr. Wily's Stage that you had on Yoshi's Island? I never heard that version before I don't think.
I believe is an OC Remix and I think is call Dr Willy Haunts Flashman >.0

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
If we can't talk about the new BlazBlue, can we talk about the new Street Fighter?

Pics of the new girl Juri and T. Hawk.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Can I say a thousand times:
**** T. HAWK

Most ******** character design ever. That's compared with the rest of Street Fighter, even.

CTX

Smash Journeyman
PortCity said:
To the Link player (CTX?): You have a sick Link, play Toon Link and you might wreck more shops than you already wreck :)

Yeah Port, a number of people have said that I should play Toon Link. I am just stubborn. I still have A LOT to learn when playing as Link. I have only recently started playing him and I still don't know many of the AT's let alone able to execute them with any consistency. My days as a Marth player kinda rub off on my Link when it comes to general spacing. That and watching Legan play in person kinda helps.

I was a Marth player, but after Joker completely ***** him, I went Link and faired MUCH better for the rest of the tournament. Screw that tiara wearing chump. Go Tri-Force!

Anyway

Razor, good times as always. Hopefully I can translate my TMNT to Brawl
Joker, you have shown me the light. Screw Marth.

Uli

Smash Champion
Official Results:

Melee Dub Nubs:
1: tyser dekl
2: schiz uli
3: nova kudou
4: cook nicole
5: razor jordan
5: devon majik
7: conner rebecca
7: twink neon
9: zeal mook
9: BCRF BDjoe
9: Nick tyler

Melee Singlays:

1: smeesh
2: Tyser
3: DEkl
4: JBM
5: Schiz
5: majik
7: Kudou
7: ULi
9: LOve
9: bone
9: twink
9: zeal
13: NOVAAA
13: Balln
13: neon

BlazBlueeeeeeeeb:

1: Dekl
2: Blank
3: Tyser
4: Nick
5: Kamig
5: Magic Tophat
7: JBBM
7: ULI
9: schiz
9: conner
9: kudou
9: Tyler
13: Neon
13: BCRF
13: rebecca
13: Twink
17: andy

also XFD at t.hawk and random char in sf4

Euclid

Smash Journeyman
Im Choo Choo Train Tager if that helps.

EDIT: Anybody else get Swine Flu after the tournament? Because I did, not even joking. The short story at Nebraska Thread.

Top Bottom