• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

Bonehimer

Smash Journeyman
@Joker: Aight here is a list of things to remember about the computer.

1) Don't update Windows 7 until you know what you are going to do (product key?, etc)
2) You need sata cables to connect your DVD burner. The one in there now works perfectly fine, it just so happens to be mine :)
3) Make sure the "reset" button on the case works, and that the LED light flashes when the Hard drive / computer is processing.
4) Test out all the USB ports. I know the back ones work, but I didn't test the front ones.
5) Check the front and back audio, I didn't test that either.
6) We need to connect the top fan back up, but that will be later after all is done.
7) I have a spare AMD Athlon X2 4400 Dual Core Processor in my old computer...i THINK it will fit in yours. The cheapest I saw it on the internet was $150. This is probably one of the best processors your motherboard can handle.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.2 GHz Processor

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Dual-Core-Processor-89-Watt-ADA4200CUBOX/dp/B000FU1ZMC

Your motherboard

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/A8N-SLI Premium/e2435_a8n-sli_premium.pdf

So if you want, we can swap out processors. I get the one that is in your computer now and you give me $75 for the processor. This is only if you are interested.

8) You are right, they do have HDMI to DVI converters, so you guys should be able to get one of them and use that BIG TV as your monitor. You might want to go by goodwill and buy a cheap lcd monitor. I think they are relatively inexpensive, but don't quote me on that. So you can have dual screens if you need it.

9) When you get a chance, slide me $20. That will give me some money to buy more parts and cables and stuff to help the next person who needs it.

10) If you want to do some damage with your computer (you know kill zombies, and blowup stuff in starcraft) you will probably need at least 4 GB more of RAM. I'm not sure off the top of my head what you need, but if you want to get some. You can give me the money and I can go to the store and get some for you after I look it up in the manual.
The reset button, light and all USB ports seem to be working fine. The only problem is getting the audio to work, it gives me the message "No Audio Output Devices is installed." The motherboard link you posted says something about installing the audio drives with a CD, but since we don't have said CD, have been trying to install drives downloaded from the Realtek website. None seem to work as the installation process gets stuck when "Windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software" it gives me the option to proceed anyway but the message just keeps poping up.

The processor plan sounds gravy but must admit we feel like we are taking too much from you, even if we plan to reimburse you, we should probably talk to Skizm first to see whats up with the processor dealio. And the product key, and the audio drive CD?

11) Enjoy your new computer...I know the feeling to finally get something that is fast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwNWviK5z0Q

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Joker,Bone,Skizm: Alright...So I caught up with Skizm and we chatted about the computer and got things squared away. I'll be showing up tomorrow and will work on getting the audio drivers to work. I suspect it shouldn't be too bad, but I'll see. I'll be trying drivers listed at this site:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...2531&board_id=1&model=A8N-SLI&page=2&count=22

Skizm said he will leave the $75 with you guys for me and I'll swap out my processor for yours. Hopefully Skizm will be able to sell the one he bought on ebay or something. I'll do this swap either tomorrow, or possibly later in the week. I'm still transfering files from my old computer, so I don't want to screw anything up. Skizm said, when he shows up he will also leave the sata cables and the serial for windows. You guys can activate it or wait till I get there and I can do it. With the cables, I'll install both the DVD and the hard drive and take my cables and CDROM back. Skizm said he will chat with you guys about more ram. That should finish it...

@Joker: Don't worry about it man. It's all good. Plus I know I'm probably not going to be able to stop trash talking when we play, so I got to make it up to you some how :)

sluys

Smash Journeyman
yay for sedo'kou coming through with the computer hookup. I was trying to figure out a post that could showcase that new funny nickname (maybe it will stick)

in other news - I hit a deer this weekend. Killed that *****

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Man, if my cousins wedding would have been on sunday I would have gone to KTAR since I'm in Maryland...or was since I'm actually in NC tonight.......going to the beach tomorrow!

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Now they are just copying fighting games.
It's like this won't work the reason it works for tourneys with SF4, Marvel, MK anything really is that most of their tourneys are big and/or sponsored so it makes sense plus idk i kinda of expect fighters to do that. Smash in the other hand is mostly run by players who don't really care but then theres the random big tourneys when it matter so yeah.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Smash is a fighter just not a amazing one plus we're like the little engine that could of the fighting game community, people know we exist but don't give a crap about us.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Smash is a fighter just not a amazing one plus we're like the little engine that could of the fighting game community, people know we exist but don't give a crap about us.
You can call it that but we all know that it's not I mean I still enjoy playing the game and all but it ain't no fighting game o.0

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=189249677793946
hosting a mvc3 and mk9 tourny at coliseum!! you all should come then go to jokers and get your biweekly on :3 there might be melee too?! idk yet
This sounds awesome plus I can always say I drove to my tourney ^.^

Anyone up for games tonight?
Well Bolt mention he wanted to play after Wednesday could give Brandon and Dustin a call not sure about Sekou o.0
Oh yeah maybe Nova will like to come down if you show up also.

Count me in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np_c0uROmU8&feature=related

Kuares

Pizza
What's the schedule like for the next month or so? I want to host another tournament(and make some crazy new rules).

Is there anything happening the 11th or 18th of June?

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Wait, biweekly is the 4th? Sweet!!!!!!!!!

But isn't that the same day as uli's MK/Melee tournament?

NVM, that's friday, sweet!

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Last Night: Hahaha, last night was fun. It's official...Brandon has officially screwed up the balance of power in Iowa :-D. If Brandon is on Joker's team...I can't win a set. If Brandon is on my team...Joker can't win a set. :-D That leaves a few options. Either someone else gets real good that can stop Brandon aka Skynet or Joker and I will have to get WAY better if we want to win without him. Interesting turn of events here in the corn fields.

@Bone: Yeah, you sent me a message through private messages, I haven't logged in for a while. Your motherboard is Socket 939, so you can look for other processors. I might buy another one for my computer, If I do I'll just sell you guys mine. (If Skizm doesn't buy you guys one already).

BPx

Smash Lord
Last night was really fun, sucks that I was so tired by the end, doing really dumb stuff. Sorry that's when you had to team with me, Sekou :(

also, 18th may be best QRS, I know that Dan is hosting a bbq-smashfest in omaha on the 11th, and a few of us are probably going.

(C)ome(B)ack(K)id

Smash Journeyman
@sekou & Joker: i will get better once i go part time..and get a car...cuz then ill stop the skynet ALLDAY!! and ill stop jokers CAMPING SKILLZZ!!!!!...LOL idk but yea i wana start playing again..>_<

N_o_M

Smash Journeyman
Good games tonight this might be where I start to get over the hump of improvement.

Sekou: This was the first time of you saying "get this Olimar away from me" lol. Also Someone taught me how to hold the line whoever that was I thank them :).

Cbk: We should have had them homie.

Joker: thanks for telling me to hold my ground all those times it finally sunk in.

PortCity

Smash Ace
@CBK: "The ComeBackKid" steps up to the plate...the pitch is a fast ball...he hits!...its a homerun!!! :) Yeah, we did put in work yesterday. I absolutely love teaming with you lol.

@N_o_M: Hahaha, yeah you right...you were on fire last night. I should call you "Little Kevin Durant", cause you were beasting. That gimp on brandon AND joker in 1 sequence was hot (as OLIMAR i might add). That 2 on 1 vs Snake and DDD. And the way you were keeping both me and my teammate off stage by holding the line BY YOUR DANG SELF :) ... Keep it up and play more....I was praising you the whole while you were gone. ...even your metaknight has gotten better :-\

@Colin: Slowly but surely you are moving up the ranks :) hahaha, we finally won a set AND you came up clutch after I gave you my life. It was a lesson for us both though. You have to come up clutch, and I relearned how to trust my teammate, no matter HOW unreliable they might be :-D

@Joker&Brandon: Don't trip ya'll....you guys beat me up the ENTIRE night on Thursday, so one night of a few beat downs and some trash talk won't hurt you guys :-D

BPx

Smash Lord
(as OLIMAR i might add)
yeah, you only did it as the best char in the game

and its not just one night, I play significantly ****tier when people are talking ****(ask Jowii lol), and when I'm trying to improve and constantly getting held back by distractions like that its really lame :/ I used to be able to shrug it off, but I was also playing on your team then. It really does get annoying when it goes into constant mode, some **** talk is fun, nothing but **** talk is miserable. just my two cents

BPx

Smash Lord
difference is you don't insult the other person when you trash talk tony :/ whether its in fun or not, that gets to people. i thought joker was kinda dumb for getting mad about it earlier this year, but now i'm in the exact same boat. its hard to tune that stuff out forever, just makes you not want to play/throw matches...

PortCity

Smash Ace
@(as OLIMAR i might add) : I talking about on Smashville where N_o_M naired, then down spiked Wario and latched on the stage and it staged spiked Metaknight...

@the trash talk issue...again: To be honest in my opinion, the issue is 50% me and 50% you guys. I understand that you don't expect, nor want your friends family members and loved ones talking crap to you while playing a game. Joker said it best "I know you so it just feels weird having someone you know is your friend talking to you like a complete stranger." <- loose translation :)...however...I don't think you guys focus on the fact we are playing a GAME. This isn't real life, you guys know who I am in real life.

You are right that I might say something like, "You trash!" or such insults, but the fact is, Brandon you just went out of state and placed 2nd in doubles. Holding your own against Fino and MJG who are no slouches. That isn't someone who "sucks". I am not even going to get started with Joker and all the tournies he has won. It is perlexing to me that when I get a good 50% combo/sequence off or even a night full of them and say "dang bruh, you suck for that" , you guys magically take it to heart. YOU GUYS ARE GOOD! :-D

That said, I think a bit of the problem is when I'm winning and on a roll. Cause that is when the trash talk is "constant". I get excited and enjoy doing stuff that forces 2 teammates to kill themselves/each other....call me a criminal but I get kicks off that. When I "brag" about it, and ya'll can't stop it, that is when the problems arise. I got beat up and down all last thursday night, with and without trash talk, but ya'll weren't complaining then nor did you even have the "look of disgust" on your faces.

On a more serious note, you guys, besides trash talk and all that stuff. NEVER allow yourself to have that feeling of helplessness or defeat. Train yourselves to ALWAYS want to fight, to be better, to improve, and to overcome challenges in LIFE. I'm dead serious! If you get into a habit of letting that feeling takeover because your friend is trash talking you in a video game, you never know what other scenario it might pop up in. My mother always says "If you do it in one situation, you'll do it another." That is SO TRUE. You can't allow yourself to get that feeling, because life is much, MUCH worse than Brawl. You guys know a little bit that has happened to me this year, but my year actually has been MUCH worse. To hear you guys get distraught and wanting to give up over listening to me trash talk, just makes me wonder what ya'll would do it all the things that have happened to me and my family over the past 6 months happened to you guys :-\...

Anyway, it is all just a friendly rivaly....in Pokemon terms...consider me Gary Oak and ya'll are Ash Ketchum :-D

BPx

Smash Lord
We don't want to give up, we just don't want to play with you when it happens. Or at least that is how I've felt all week. I didn't care that I was winning, I still didn't enjoy Thursday night. Its just frustrating that when I come over the Christian's to enjoy a night and relax, I end up going home ****talked, frustrated, and disappointed. Now you can obviously come back and play the next day, but the fact is its not fun, which is what I ultimately play this GAME for. Sure winning is fine, but I'd rather lose games and enjoy myself than win and be constantly told I'm bad (even in jest).

I'll just bring headphones.

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Brandon: I'm not trying to be a jerk...but I want to point out that you said "its hard to tune that stuff out forever, just makes you not want to play/throw matches... " That statement didn't say anything about not wanting to play with "me"...and...also "throwing matches" sounds like "giving up".

Mr. BPx...can you honestly say you can lose games and "enjoy" yourself? When we play singles, I see the look on your face after you lose 5 CLOSE matches in a row. It isn't a look like "WOW that was fun!" :) ... it is the look of "DANG *#@*#$ it! I should have won that one!!!!!!! AHHHhhh!" We both know, when I play singles, I very VERY rarely trash talk , hell Joker will agree. So why the frowns then? You seem cheer up AFTER we are done playing and we chat about the matches, and other stuff in life. I just think it is competitiveness and pride more so than any specific taunt or stream of taunts.

How about this...help me understand how after a night of winning and playing the game well...you can go home "frustrated, and disappointed"?

---------------------LOL------------------------ LOLOL to that picture.....don't be like Ash when you grow up lololololol!!!! :-D

N_o_M

Smash Journeyman
It's just a game that we play to test each other and have fun, The trash talking doesn't really bother me because I've always said a smart comment back when I get a kill :p. We shouldn't make a big deal about this.

BPx

Smash Lord
Top Bottom