• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

PortCity

Smash Ace
@N_o_M: That is the attitude I have always advocated.

@Bpx: I'll give you $5 if you can tell me how I do the stuff they do in that article you posted with a straight face :)... You have to clearly point out how I do that stuff, with no laughing, no funny faces...if you do it...free $5 :) Anyway, been fun chatting ya'll. Ya'll will see me later this week. Be ready.....*insert witty PCity-esque comment here*** :-D

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
The night before I was playing Brandon and even after losing we where still having fun but then I see him play you and you can tell he doesn't want to play.

Also last thursday if may have not look like it but like Brandon I still wasn't having fun >.<

So yeah I think I'm going to put music back on to my PSP so then it shouldn't matter I mean is not like I even ask for help and what not o.0

BPx

Smash Lord
The issue isn't solved, more like mitigated, since I guess stopping the trash talk isn't an option.

Its ok Joker, we can just turn Dustin's Wii into the singles TV for ourselves. Then we can talk all we want :)

or... we can coordinate a playlist and start it at the same time when we team. That way we'll have a secret channel of communication... UNSTOPPABLE!

PortCity

Smash Ace
@BPx: Let's be fair about this. You guys complain about the insults...I'll 100% stop the insults...but can I redirect it towards "gloating"? So when I do something crazy and win, instead of saying "Them boys trash"...I'll say something like "I can't be touched no matter what..." Would that be acceptable? This seems to be a good compromise especially considering the main crux of the argument. This should actually alleviate the problem, which is me talking "to" and "about" you. I am trying to find a happy medium, I happen to enjoy talking, keeps me from being bored :-D

I do kind of find this whole she-bang funny in a way. Someone who has been reading this board has to be thinking "Dang this PCity guy must have the foulest mouth ever. I bet every other word is MF this, and S*** head that, and ***hole here. He is kinda crazy for thinking he can call his friends all kinds of cuss words and they are "ok" with it." Hahaha, far from the truth, I am fairly confident no one has EVER heard me cuss. :-D

BOLT08

Smash Lord
I WANT TO PLAY GAMES TOMORROW!!

Aka Monday. I can drive Se'kou, if necessary. But chyea, I wanna nerdd before I go camping for 3 days.

animeblitzballa33

Smash Ace
I actually kinda like Pcity's "trash talk." I felt that it would help me improve because when he did say stuff I would always know what I had done wrong at what time. Hidden under the witty comments of his trash talking is usually what you had done to bring on his words. Even if it is an insult you should be able to clearly see why he made the comment. If he would say nothing at all I might simply dismiss it as unlucky. On the flip side of the coin which no one has addressed is the fact that he will say the exact same insults to himself when he screws up. He praises you if you take advantage of his mistake, in which I know what I did right and when. It isnt simply one way traffic, its two way with Pcity as the traffic instructor.

I would always play more intently when playing him. I didnt want him to be able to trash talk my moves so I would always play more careful and thoughtful. He doesnt just say **** randomly with the intent on making you miserable. Obviosly if you brought on his bantering its because you screwed up. Just take it for what its worth and learn from what you did and make sure he doesnt talk **** about that certain screw up again.

N_o_M

Smash Journeyman
I agree with that too sekou doesnt "talk ****" without a reason to say it. But it could be that im just too laid back for it to be an issue.

:phone:

PortCity

Smash Ace
I actually kinda like Pcity's "trash talk." I felt that it would help me improve because when he did say stuff I would always know what I had done wrong at what time. Hidden under the witty comments of his trash talking is usually what you had done to bring on his words. Even if it is an insult you should be able to clearly see why he made the comment. If he would say nothing at all I might simply dismiss it as unlucky. On the flip side of the coin which no one has addressed is the fact that he will say the exact same insults to himself when he screws up. He praises you if you take advantage of his mistake, in which I know what I did right and when. It isnt simply one way traffic, its two way with Pcity as the traffic instructor.

I would always play more intently when playing him. I didnt want him to be able to trash talk my moves so I would always play more careful and thoughtful. He doesnt just say **** randomly with the intent on making you miserable. Obviosly if you brought on his bantering its because you screwed up. Just take it for what its worth and learn from what you did and make sure he doesnt talk **** about that certain screw up again.
OMG...Peeks said it better than I ever could. Yeah, I still do make the same type of comments to myself if I make a mistake. STuff like "OMG, Mr. PCity, are you going to let him kill you with the same move twice in a row with the same setup or are you going to stop it?", "Please space properly if you are going to bother to space at all." Peeks is right, I still and always do congratulate someone if they punish me for my mistake, or at the VERY least I'll say "Don't worry I won't let you do it again!". Which is a CLEAR indication that you executed a plan that punished me hard for something I may or may not have setup. Like I have said many times, growing up that is how I learned how to play competitively. By taking beat downs from my uncles and having them chew me out, but I knew everytime concretely, or at least abstractly what the problem was. I left the table, mad, happy, upset, or whatever knowing that I had to come back better than last time...and I would! Right now, I have two Uncles who whooped me up in Dominoes last time I was home. One of them has their trash talk posted on Facebook to me at this very moment. When I find some time, I'm gonna practice dominoes so I can shut him up. :)

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero

This.

Furthermore, I think BPow's frustration is good for him, it helps you break down the walls. It sounds like you guys have been practicing, good.

animeblitzballa33

Smash Ace
PEEKS!!!!!!! When u going to be back??...lol

:phone:
Well, sounds like we are leaving sand land on the 15th of July to go back to the states. We have like a 5 dayish de-mobilization to go thru and then Im free at last. Im guessing the 25th-30th of July I will be at my actual home.

P.S. There will be a tourney at Jokers to comemorate my return on the 13th of August. Me and Christian talked about it and he said he will get info up on it soon so we can hopefully get an alright crowd gathered for it.

BOLT08

Smash Lord
Me and Se'kou are coming tonight. I can only stay till like 8:45 though since I have to be up at 4:15 AM for work. We should be arriving around 4:30.

sluys

Smash Journeyman
man you know Wario can trash talk waaaay better than any Diddy.

"you know its comin, it's that time again! run for yo life! OH NO HERE IT COMES I CAN'T HOLD IT! ***BRAAAAAAFFFTTTTT*** YOU JUST GOT ****ONNNN"

or

"you can't hit me!! I'm runnin! I'm dancin on ya! I'M KING OF THE SKIES TRY AND CATCH ME! I'm LIVIN at 190% your moves are stale!!

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
My first time on SWF in a while so I mosey on over to the Iowa thread and what do I find? Salt and ****.

@Brandon- Noob. You're going to get ****talked. It's going to happen at regionals, in tournament, when you're in bracket. Wear headphones or ignore it. It makes you play ****ty because you let it get to you; which is your problem because you care enough to listen. I like to ****talk people for my crew, if I know it's effecting my opponent, or because I'm non-sober and bored. >_> It's going to happen, and you're acting like playing competitive gaming means you entitled to something other than winning or losing. Obviously this case, being one amongst friends, give you a leg to stand on, ....a peg leg, since he's your friend, but at the same time, that's when you should learn to deal with it. It's your friend, you're playing a game to have fun, and you know he's your friend so you shouldn't be taking ANY of the ****talk to heart. Lrn2PMSless. Dealwithit.jpeg

@Sekou- If you stop gloating or enjoying 50% combos, I'm going to the next tournament/smashfest you're at, and I'ma **** on your Diddy w/ Kirbicides. >_> Enjooooyyyyyyyy victory. Revel in bloodshed. Gloat til you're puking rainbows made of unicorns. Because in the end, it ain't trickin' if you got it; it's just stylin'.

tl;dr- Brandon whine less, PCity win more.

-dip-

PortCity

Smash Ace
LOL @Jowii - Ya'll trippin :)

I was super mild last night, and bearly said anything. I was proud of myself. I also found out that I play better when I'm not talking...go figure...hahahaha...I might try it when I feel like winning :)

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
@PCity- Nah man, but when I found out Brandon's kryptonite was/is ****talking, it strikes a chord deep within because I both love **** talking and can easily take **** talk. It's like photosynthesizing for me - Do it for power; it powers me.

And on a completely unrelated note: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=12793668#post12793668 (which is something I'm putting it my posts nowadays)

(C)ome(B)ack(K)id

Smash Journeyman
well once you come back peeks its going to be awesomeness...^_^v and we will plan our trip to japan like we said...that is if u still want to go...O_O

last night was to fun when squirtle and donkey came into play.

MJG

Smash Hero
Just lurking...

yeah, you only did it as the best char in the game

and its not just one night, I play significantly ****tier when people are talking ****(ask Jowii lol), and when I'm trying to improve and constantly getting held back by distractions like that its really lame :/ I used to be able to shrug it off, but I was also playing on your team then. It really does get annoying when it goes into constant mode, some **** talk is fun, nothing but **** talk is miserable. just my two cents
Can't let it get to you. Wear headphones if you are bothered by it that much. I just ignore the **** talk
easy for me to do for some reason

My first time on SWF in a while so I mosey on over to the Iowa thread and what do I find? Salt and ****.

@Brandon- Noob. You're going to get ****talked. It's going to happen at regionals, in tournament, when you're in bracket. Wear headphones or ignore it. It makes you play ****ty because you let it get to you; which is your problem because you care enough to listen. I like to ****talk people for my crew, if I know it's effecting my opponent, or because I'm non-sober and bored. >_> It's going to happen, and you're acting like playing competitive gaming means you entitled to something other than winning or losing. Obviously this case, being one amongst friends, give you a leg to stand on, ....a peg leg, since he's your friend, but at the same time, that's when you should learn to deal with it. It's your friend, you're playing a game to have fun, and you know he's your friend so you shouldn't be taking ANY of the ****talk to heart. Lrn2PMSless. Dealwithit.jpeg

@Sekou- If you stop gloating or enjoying 50% combos, I'm going to the next tournament/smashfest you're at, and I'ma **** on your Diddy w/ Kirbicides. >_> Enjooooyyyyyyyy victory. Revel in bloodshed. Gloat til you're puking rainbows made of unicorns. Because in the end, it ain't trickin' if you got it; it's just stylin'.

tl;dr- Brandon whine less, PCity win more.

-dip-
-dead- @ this post

L. afk

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Not everybody cares enough about competitive gaming to justify letting people be douchebags to them over it.

I agree if the noise effects you, then you should wear headphones. But theres really no reason for that kind of stuff to be happening in civil games.

I want to get good as much as the next person, but when something makes someone tight its not like I'd enjoy doing it(Most of the time, at least when it comes to friends). If you find amusement out of it because of that fact then you're just being a shallow idiot, while someone like Sekou is merely doing it because thats how he talks.

Favoritism is one of the main reasons it happens, and that alone is the reason why communities will split in the first place. I should know, I just came from UFGT7 where cliques were getting tight all day. It shouldn't have to be monitored among one of your own.

Personally though, I've never heard Sekou say anything out of line in casuals. And casuals are nothing to get butthurt over anyways in a game like Brawl.

BPx

Smash Lord
jowii i'm going to **** on you so hard if we ever play in bracket, you better believe it.

no amount of **** talking will stop all 3 farts on your face

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Brandon, I can't hear you over your crying. Sekou said your Wario was garbz mid-match, and you SD'd so fast, the game timer jumped back a second.

Kudou-kun

Smash Lord
Well, sounds like we are leaving sand land on the 15th of July to go back to the states. We have like a 5 dayish de-mobilization to go thru and then Im free at last. Im guessing the 25th-30th of July I will be at my actual home.

P.S. There will be a tourney at Jokers to comemorate my return on the 13th of August. Me and Christian talked about it and he said he will get info up on it soon so we can hopefully get an alright crowd gathered for it.
this is all that matters, it gonna be awesome to see u back in good old iowa

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
I don't mind trash talking specially in tourneys that's to be expected there was a match I was playing vs Legan and 4rce was trash talking me and I actually found it funny and was laughing with the guy.

But the thing about Brandon and I is that is a personal thing really. It's like every little thing is a reason to trash talk and hearing the same thing over and over it gets kinda of annoying. I'm trying to get some practice with Brandon in dubs I don't really like dubs that much but for the sake of practicing with the guy I play it only to get trash talk about bad team work and such. . . . . . . it's like really.

Helping us deal with trash talk I guess but I prefer to actually get some real practice rather then that plus is not like every match in tourney there's going to be trash talk.

So we don't really mind trash talk is just that when is friendlies I don't see why you feel the need for it, it's the same people you play every day so who's there to impress o.0

Twintail

Smash Cadet
I think me/thugz/leroy are coming, so we have room
Just for the record, I'm moving back to Iowa City this weekend, so I'm guessing that I'll have to just stop at Joker's with a fully loaded car. So I'll be driving by myself most likely, as I don't think I'll have any room in my car, but that frees up yours or Thug's car for an extra spot.

-Leroy Brown

animeblitzballa33

Smash Ace
well once you come back peeks its going to be awesomeness...^_^v and we will plan our trip to japan like we said...that is if u still want to go...O_O
Of course I do, I cant believe you even think its a question. Especially since Zash is there that *******. Is anyone else thinking about going?
this is all that matters, it gonna be awesome to see u back in good old iowa
I cant wait for the day!!!

Top Bottom