• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

Soran

Smash Ace

yeah im pretty sure that we've all heard about this already, christian and i talked about this game awhile ago. just sayin since i think this is the second time that you've brought it up

never talked about it in my life before now aside from hearing it from a friend and then IGN uploaded this janky gameplay video. I'm not sure if I'm that interested in it. EDIT: oh ya. that andriasang link xP I didn't think people clicked on the links I post ^o^ good deal. Well, carry on ; )

and blank, what's so wrong with BB? just the fact you can't go into your ONE combo from every hit? BB takes set up and nothing wrong with that. *cough* marvel *cough*

I'm super interested in Melty.. But I thought getting it would be a lot simpler. Watching gameplay vids teach me nothing about the game. But I guess this is where google is my best friend. I'd much rather hear it from you because half of the time I search something I never find what I'm looking for. Like Einstein theories etc. (weak; I know, right?) Does MB take set up or is it like, "Ooh, low short > full combo!" ?

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Funny how you can call BB the setup-oriented game when that game is pretty much KING of random hits into big damage. Thats basically what most the game is, and its what it has been for a long time. I gave a huge write-up bashing that game for you already

Marvel is scrubby, but at least you can make things happen in that game. BlazBlue is just a lot of chickenblocking and long amounts of lockdown until someone messes up. At a high level of play (Which you really won't see much in the states) your "setups" mostly just become gimmicks. I could compile a laundry list of design flaws that go along with the entire game and just encourage bad and tedious gameplay but I've already done that the first time you tried to justify the game.

MeltyBread's youtube channel should be your go to source for melty videos. Random weeaboos on the net are gunna teach you nothing. Melty Blood has just about everything. It has your counterhits into big damage, oki games, elaborate frame traps, 4-way mix-ups/tick throws, situational defensive options (dodge/rolls, shield/parry, alpha counters, guard meter/crush), unblockable ground normals, fuzzy guards, and most importantly the balance gets better with every edition. It has a lot of nuances that someone could want from an anime fighter, but it maintains variety while staying tame. Basically an amalgamation of all the things GOOD just keep getting BETTER when it comes to this series and fighting game mechanics.

Edit: C.Wlen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qPizSYBgxQ&#t=16m0s

Soran

Smash Ace
But... but ;_;...... I thought all fighting games play like tha' .o.
It's just like Marvel high-level. Block-strings until you get that random hit and off of said random hit, you can do you biggest combo. But that's not always the case to my understanding. But most of the time when you get hit your opponent will just do the biggest combo because they can.

I understand there are different combos for different situations but not much to my knowledge. Besides that, people just do optimal damage which would be that one combo that is huge. But okay, I understand that people HATE bb. You're really smart. I also have a friend who has your level of intellect but likes bb. I'd love to see a debate between you two ; )

By setup I mean you can't just do the biggest combo off of any hit.

I like Akiha ;_; even though I've never played xD

MO'F***IN' EDIT: what happened to that one person? gamegenie? or does he just stay on the NE boards? This is the only place I come lol

Twinkieftw

Smash Cadet
I don't seem to remember you Thugz... Or, at least, I don't ever remember someone calling you by that name while I unknowingly watched you play?

Aside from that, I will still be willing to take you up on that money match! An entertaining one at that because it'll be the first I've ever done. Haha.

Is next Saturday (the 17th) confirmed for a Bi-Weekly then? I'm sure I can clear my schedule, but I'd like to see if I can grab a few others to call off work and what not.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I'll $5 Thug and he can pick my character.
He said only people from Iowa.

MO'F***IN' EDIT: what happened to that one person? gamegenie? or does he just stay on the NE boards? This is the only place I come lol
GameGenie lives on top of the NPR, but he does find his way here sometimes, but not lately because he has been dealing with moving and not having consistent internet access.

Melty Blood has just about everything. It has your counterhits into big damage, oki games, elaborate frame traps, 4-way mix-ups/tick throws, situational defensive options (dodge/rolls, shield/parry, alpha counters, guard meter/crush), unblockable ground normals, fuzzy guards, and most importantly the balance gets better with every edition.
This game sounds awesome.

Uli

Smash Champion
Im glad that kevin wang, Azen, and Baby Yoker were able to make it to omaha for the tourny :D
hopefully you guys will come back again for next month!!
ggz

Soran

Smash Ace
Im glad that kevin wang, Azen, and Baby Yoker were able to make it to omaha for the tourny :D
hopefully you guys will come back again for next month!!
ggz
I would love to. Link 2-3 weeks in advance so I can request off work in case I can get a ride.

Soran

Smash Ace
nothing (EDIT) wrong with nerdiness. I myself happen to be quite a nerd. We can all be nerds at different things.

QUESTION: Anybody familiar with a midi fighter? is constructing a midi fighter anything like customizing an arcade stick? I just wanted to give my friend some advice but for some reason he took it as an argument. *sigh* I told him he should use Seimitsu parts for midi fighters since they look cool. Now I have never installed parts to an arcade stick but watching Dual-mod tutorials- I know it can't be simple.

BOLT08

Smash Lord
Everyone shut up about stupid fighters no one cares about. Especially cause there bad

Games tomorrow? I am FINALLY available.

BPx

Smash Lord
Everyone shut up about stupid fighters no one cares about. Especially cause there bad

Games tomorrow? I am FINALLY available.
bolt you realize you are the most ******** poster here right(talking about how you post, not you personally)? i don't hate you or anything its just hilarious and i thought someone should say it. you come in, say what we are talking about is stupid, tell us of your social life(usually), start **** with rob, then ask for games(which you can't come to 99.9% of the time). <333333333

i'd be down for games sometime(tomorrow works)

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I wrote a post but apparently it didn't go through.

But... but ;_;...... I thought all fighting games play like tha' .o.
It's just like Marvel high-level. Block-strings until you get that random hit and off of said random hit, you can do you biggest combo. But that's not always the case to my understanding. But most of the time when you get hit your opponent will just do the biggest combo because they can.

I understand there are different combos for different situations but not much to my knowledge. Besides that, people just do optimal damage which would be that one combo that is huge. But okay, I understand that people HATE bb. You're really smart. I also have a friend who has your level of intellect but likes bb. I'd love to see a debate between you two ; )

By setup I mean you can't just do the biggest combo off of any hit.

I like Akiha ;_; even though I've never played xD
Combos aren't everything. In Marvel, the way most hits are landed are generally airthrows, 50/50s, or general cheap stuff. Most people don't even understand how half the cast works, random hits are bound to happen. You can think about confirming into a death combo later, somehow or other you probably have the means to. Its a bad game that has potential, we're just sitting through Vanilla Rufus and Sagat.

BlazBlue is a different evil. At a high level of play where people understand matchups and have an average reaction time (about 10-14 frames) then the game quickly boils down to getting the opponent to mess up or press buttons. Basically you don't have to be good at fighting games to be good at BlazBlue, you just have to play enough BlazBlue. Know what moves to throw, then you make them watch 4-6k combos off counterhits and DPs. This among many other system mechanics just degrades the game more and promotes tedious play. I already wrote a laundry list of the problems of that game, if you're really so persistent in pondering it then you might as well search it up. I'd rather not talk about this game more then I need to.

Being "smart" has nothing to do with taste in games. People come from different backgrounds and read different amounts into the game. Most people have no clue about what other fighters exist that might be "better," or the transparent plays that go on at high-level.

^ 10agreeds you guys are so friendly all of a sudden :069:
People are curious now about Thugz as a player, instead of some troll on the internet. Its because I've been telling everybody hes the best in Nebraska ^o^

Also Bolt is right, but its okay. No one actually reads my posts they're tl;dr.

Soran

Smash Ace
Well-said- again, Blank. I now completely see what you're saying about BB. Doesn't change the fact I love the crap out of that game.

But.. still. I'm just waiting for Dec. 1. Or at least Thursday.

bolt you realize you are the most ******** poster here right(talking about how you post, not you personally)? i don't hate you or anything its just hilarious and i thought someone should say it. you come in, say what we are talking about is stupid, tell us of your social life(usually), start **** with rob, then ask for games(which you can't come to 99.9% of the time). <333333333

rofl

Soran

Smash Ace
Yeah, I've noticed what BOLT does since he started trippin' on me.

I just never felt the need to point it out since I don't make games. But I also don't make claims or say every post that I can't make games. It's like, cool. You can't make games. Nobody's asking.

Since I'm getting a stick I'm officially grinding AH3 and SFIII along with the rest of the fighters I play. Might possibly get AE just 'cause.
Anybody wanna add me to play AH3 and teach me? (who even plays that game? or 3S for that matter..)

I'm going to be doing this wiifii brawl tourney since it's with a bunch of people and an old friend. So I'll also be practicing Brawl (as far as Brawl-talk is concerned)
lol@brawl netplay

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Lies, I read your posts.

Also, I find it funny that you and Tyser friend and defriend me at will on facebook.

+1 BPOW for the truth.
I de-friended you because I had 66 friends, which was uncomfortable for me. It was either you or Ganondorf, and I can't de-friend the king of evil.

Now that I have 68 friends everything is fine now.

Yeah, I've noticed what BOLT does since he started trippin' on me.

I just never felt the need to point it out since I don't make games. But I also don't make claims or say every post that I can't make games. It's like, cool. You can't make games. Nobody's asking.

Since I'm getting a stick I'm officially grinding AH3 and SFIII along with the rest of the fighters I play. Might possibly get AE just 'cause.
Anybody wanna add me to play AH3 and teach me? (who even plays that game? or 3S for that matter..)

I'm going to be doing this wiifii brawl tourney since it's with a bunch of people and an old friend. So I'll also be practicing Brawl (as far as Brawl-talk is concerned)
lol@brawl netplay
I might grind some AH3 when I get back. Me, Blake and Sam played it for like a week but Sam plays MMO's and Blake doesn't own a PS3.

Soran

Smash Ace
I might grind some AH3 when I get back. Me, Blake and Sam played it for like a week but Sam plays MMO's and Blake doesn't own a PS3.
Well, would you like to play with me? I'm willing to learn Saki. She is the best to look at IMO.

Add my PSN whenever it is you're getting back from where ever it is you are.
same goes to every other person ; )

PSN ID: Itsnameisgundam

XBL GT: Itsnameisgundam

For fighting games add my PSN. I'll be playing BF3, Skyrim, and Halo Anniversary on XBL.
You could add both just for the heck of it if you play fighting games on XBL and shooters on PS3 (lolwut)

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Is next Saturday (the 17th) confirmed for a Bi-Weekly then? I'm sure I can clear my schedule, but I'd like to see if I can grab a few others to call off work and what not.
Yeah I think I'll be having one so Iowa and Nebraska better come >.0

I guess Smash is consider a fighter which is stupid and bad so what are we suppose to talk about >.<

Christian lets grind this game together: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soH8jG_gfGQ&feature=share

Its so anime. Also prinny girl is adorable.
Peeks told me about this game then I talked a bit about it with Kudou I like the series but it's going to be awhile till I get this game T.T

Is anyone from Iowa going to SiiS?
Probably not.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
It's this weekend? I want to come, but we have this whole "No brawl scene" thing in Nebraska. If there was melee and brawl, I could probably find a way there. But I don't think Aura/GG222 are able to drive, and as usual, my car is dead.

BOLT08

Smash Lord

You take me far too seriously, son. When I say "stop talking about stupid fighters no one cares about." I am joking 100%. I have said something along those lines quite a few times.

Rob sucks.

And I'm sorry I'm busy, I have an actual life outside of smash that I much more concerned about and much more involved in. Smash will get me NOWHERE in life, absolutely nowhere. Thus when things like idk, school or work come up, they usually take priority.

sluys

Smash Journeyman
And I'm sorry I'm busy, I have an actual life outside of smash that I much more concerned about and much more involved in. Smash will get me NOWHERE in life, absolutely nowhere. Thus when things like idk, school or work come up, they usually take priority.
I took smash too seriously and it landed me in South Dakota. Friends don't let friends to smash.

pbj_mixxa

Smash Rookie
1. No I don't you half-***** piece of decaying horse ****!
2. If I did, it would only be because you never give me the slightest bit of a challenge in any game worth ANYTHING!

... yes, I made an account just to say that!

Top Bottom