• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Boost Smashing absolutely necessary? =x

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I've been using Sheik for about...three weeks now. Is DACUS really really needed to do well with her?

It's not even Shiek's boost smash alone. I just can't perform this tech with any character.

Default_951

Smash Apprentice
No, I wouldn't say so. Its generally too inconsistent to pull off when its needed (at least I've found) >.<

ADHD

Smash Hero
No but you know how much I was able to do it right bunny ;)

It's a good surprise attack and if you use it once or twice per game it can be very difficult to predict and defend

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
No but you know how much I was able to do it right bunny ;)

It's a good surprise attack and if you use it once or twice per game it can be very difficult to predict and defend
Yeah, from seeing you play I thought it was necessary. XD

But from what it seems, I don't need to learn it and pull it off consistently. Thanks for hte help.

=^__^.=

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Shieks DACUS is so frickin COOL!

I wish I could perform it without risk of failure..

I heard it's easier with tap jump off?
Is that true?

Exia 00

Smash Champion
Shieks DACUS is so frickin COOL!

I wish I could perform it without risk of failure..

I heard it's easier with tap jump off?
Is that true?
Yes. Its also easier if you change which ever trigger you dont use to sheild into attack. Just do it the same way but press L/R instead of Z.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Tap jump off, and using L/R for attack (or switching your hand to have index on c-stick, and middle finger on A like I do)

I can do it generally 10-20 times in a row, and its a valuable part to my game. (grab release to DAC on some characters, a suprise kill vs campy opponents, etc.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
God do I ever want to say yes

No, DACUS isn't necessary to be good with sheik as of today standards. However odds are it will become more important down the road so it would be best if you put in a little bit of effort now and then to learn it.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
God do I ever want to say yes

No, DACUS isn't necessary to be good with sheik as of today standards. However odds are it will become more important down the road so it would be best if you put in a little bit of effort now and then to learn it.
Yeah, I was thinking of at least learning how to do it a few times. I just needed to know if you needed to be sliding all over the stage like SOME characters...*Looks at Snake*

Oh well, to training mode I go. -.- *Prepares for finger blisters*

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's a guaranteed KO from grab release on a few characters.

Including Meta Knight.

But I don't really feel like practicing it so whatever.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
It's a guaranteed KO from grab release on a few characters.

Including Meta Knight.

But I don't really feel like practicing it so whatever.
And you're really really good with Shiek. o.o

I'm so so so so conflicted. T-T

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
lol, where's that post I'm looking for... here it is.

ankoku makes weird decisions while playing.
Just because it doesn't make any sense to you why I would run straight toward a Warlock Punch doesn't mean it wasn't all a part of my plan to win.... somehow.

choknater has it right though, do what I say, not what I do.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I started doing this, but I can pull it off 50% of the time at best. It STILL gives an edge to my sheik. You can get a lot of damage and knockback and its very hard to shield grab. I love it! It's so fun ^^. I was actually considering dropping sheik before this tech renewed my interest. Not that it make or breaks her.

It also can be intimidating to players who haven't seen enough of it before. If you cross half of FD doing Usmash, they are gonna be O_O.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
lol, where's that post I'm looking for... here it is.
Oooh, I see. ^^;

Well it wouldn't hurt to practice it a bit, but if it gets too hard, I'll just play the way I do now. Which isn't half bad btw.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
bleh - not an essential part of your game to say the least - but it has a few uses.

i'm not going to use it - i wont change my control scheme to do it and its not consistent enough

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
It's not really necessary, but it's cool when you pull it off. If you find some way to have some godly frame-perfect speed with your fingers, by all means, incorporate it into your game. It wouldn't hurt, but it doesn't help THAT much either. I just run around like a ****** trying to Boost Smash after I get a kill.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
I've been using Sheik for about...three weeks now. Is DACUS really really needed to do well with her?

It's not even Shiek's boost smash alone. I just can't perform this tech with any character.
Not really...but it's handy to know. I'd say it's useful enough that you should learn to be able to get it at least 50% of the time. However, it shouldn't be a large part of your game as their are smarter things to focus on.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Well, when you try, what happen?

If you dash attack, you're hitting up and/or A too late.
If you do an aerial, you're not pressing up and/or A fast enough.
If you do an H-smash, you're not hitting C-stick down. Or too late.

demodemo

Smash Ace
its useful, but not necessary to be good. look at how gimpy plays

but if you are facing characters that are hard to gimp like metaknight and rob, it is invaluable as a kill move.

why are there suddenly so many threads on this?

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Its not needed, but it has its uses, but there's a whole thread about being fluid before learning barely useful techs. Take that advice and learn sheik's flow first and then learn DACUS so you'll actually be able to apply it.

Well, when you try, what happen?

If you dash attack, you're hitting up and/or A too late.
If you do an aerial, you're not pressing up and/or A fast enough.
If you do an H-smash, you're not hitting C-stick down. Or too late.
Saying that could get you banned.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
How "hyphen smash" became an accepted term is beyond me. You ****ing press up on the C-Stick at any point when you're on the ground, and doing it while running just happens to be special?

You had to jump cancel that **** in Melee, why does Brawl's running usmash get a stupid name when it's easier?

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
...I don't see why everyone is so upset about it having a name.

A running USmash is clearly a different move then just an USmash. If I'm describing a combo to you and I need clarify that you need to use your momentum to carry your USmash forward, why not just call it hyphen smashing?...or running USmash?...or anything that's more descriptive then just USmash.

Specificity is the key when explaining things to people...so what's the big deal with naming it? The fact that when he said Hyphen-Smash , every single one of you knew EXACTLY what he was talking about proves that naming it has worked.

Really, it shouldn't get people all bent out of shape.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's a redundant name that serves no purpose other than to sound "special." It's akin to calling a running punch a "hyphen fist." I mean, sure, you'll know exactly what I mean when I say it, but it's still stupid. "I caught that pickpocket by hyphen fisting him in the back!"

The only exception is Sliq calling everything Ganondorf has a "Murder *attack*." You can combo the Murder Stomp into a Murder Kick and then do a Murder Flip. And if you need to recover from far away do a reverse turnaround Murder Fist. Unlike "hyphen," murder Sliq is amazing.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
...I guess, but I mean in terms of description :

running Usmash

hyphen smash

...it's really all the same thing. I'm just saying it could be worse...it's not like it's a DLX cancel or a Craq walk...or some other stuff like that. I can see your point, but I still disagree.

, but then again, I also prefer the term 'boost smash' over DACUS. So yeah...

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I'm gonna keep it as H-smash in the guide so people know what I'm talking about. I don't see a problem with it. Two moves with different properties should have different names. To me, it's like saying you press B to do a Din.

Heck, it's better than WHARGARBLE or whatever it is.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
um i like to call usmash "ultimate smash" because u stands for ultimate

get with the program, big big idiots.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I actually have a pretty good idea of why exactly you're able to usmash directly from a run when you couldn't in Melee, and it has nothing to do with them implementing running usmashes in Brawl.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
It's a redundant name that serves no purpose other than to sound "special." It's akin to calling a running punch a "hyphen fist." I mean, sure, you'll know exactly what I mean when I say it, but it's still stupid. "I caught that pickpocket by hyphen fisting him in the back!"
Hyphen smash sounds pretty! D:
I actually have a pretty good idea of why exactly you're able to usmash directly from a run when you couldn't in Melee, and it has nothing to do with them implementing running usmashes in Brawl.
I thought the fact that the c-stick manually inputs the move was obvious. It explains why Dairs fastfall, as well, and why you can use specials by pressing the c-stick and B at the same time.

As for the DACUS/Boost smash, I've fought Sheiks who used it, and it's been quite effective as a kill move, since Sheik needs all the help she can get with KOs.

Top Bottom