• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Brawl lacking any good stages?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Brawl has tons of good stages; a lot of players just started having unreasonable standards for stages. Lylat Cruise and Pokemon Stadium 1 are obviously fair game for starters which puts you on par with melee's generally accepted list. Honestly, what's unfair about the Halberd at all? Braindead people might have trouble with the hazards, and you have a small amount of play around them which really doesn't favor anyone very much anyway and is an aspect of the game that's probably good to have represented in the starter stages (if they are supposed to represent the most fair selections from the game as a whole, why completely exclude major aspects of the game such as damaging hazards or stage movement?). With stage striking removing it as a factor in the small number of matchups (less than 1% of the total matchups in brawl) where the relatively large presence of walls and walk-offs can get dumb, Delfino Plaza is obviously a very fair stage that works as a starter. PictoChat even is very fair if you play smart and are dynamic; the only real problem with it being a starter is that most players aren't very flexible and are really bad at adapting to changing conditions (and quite a few play like total morons on certain forms by jumping into damaging hazards and doing other such ridiculous things; I'll never understand them). If you really want diverse starters, brawl offers it. Just use what the game gives you.

I'm sure I'm going to get flack for this, but melee's starter list is really boring. Fountain of Dreams, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, and Dreamland 64 all follow the same archtype of "three platforms with the middle one more elevated". They change a few proportions and have generally different sizes, and they each have their own minor gimmick (the cloud + Ness hating Shy Guys, the wind, the movement of the lower platforms, and the edges you can't slide up to grab the ledges). Still though, they're pretty homogeneous. Then you have Final Destination which is a flat line (deceptively unfair in general, by the way) and Pokemon Stadium 1 which is the only stage on the traditional list that incorporates dealing with fundamentally different platform layouts than "none" and "basic 3 platform" and had transformation and walls and tons of other features that definitely make it unique and interesting.

Really, melee's starter stages are 6 stages with 3 ideas (though adding DK64 would increase each number by 1); with brawl, every candidate for a starter has its own ideas, and more of the total game can be contained within them. Pass through floors, water, damaging hazards, moving platforms, various schemes of stage transformation, walk-offs, sloped ground, stages you can and can't navigate under, various stage side shapes that have big impacts on games (Lylat and Pokemon Stadium 1's easy to attack through ledges versus the flat walls of Yoshi's Island [Brawl] that are great for wall jumps and wall clings)... A lot of people like to call these things "problems", but they're important parts of the game that, when they are not in such an excess as to create great unfairness, add depth and diversity to the game. Even in just those starters, brawl contains "the whole game", and in each individual starter stage that implements these features (or doesn't!), you have a very unique idea for a stage relative to the other stages on your list. If you have 9 starters, you have 9 unique stage ideas. I know that every starter stage in melee gave assorted actual advantages (save your strawmans for another day), but the shared core concepts are just plain less interesting in the long run and limit the game in its ability to represent more of the game in the starter stages.

Of course there are quality stages from the previous smash games that would have been nice; Poke Floats was a really cool and interesting stage, and even among the more boring stages that so many of you love, I can't say I could disagree with "more is better". I suspect that importing stages directly was not an option with the new physics engine, and you can tell that the old melee stages were rebuilt in brawl's engine as opposed to just ported. They evidently decided that they only had enough development effort for 10 returning stages, and I can understand why they made the choices they did. Brawl's overall stage list is easily the best in the series if you actually like stages; I just don't see why people feel the need to complain about it. The presence of awful stages is unfortunate, but it's not like it's unpredictable, and they did a really good job of making most stages actually playable if you actually want to play on a bunch of stages. The even better part is that most of the actually bad stages are stages that they obviously didn't try very hard or at all to make fair (Mario Bros., etc.). A few basically good stage designs implemented wrong are depressing for me (Summit, Flat Zone 2, WarioWare), but I can't say I have sour grapes over New Pork City or anything...

Also, people other than me like Fourside? Fourside is cool because it's EarthBound and I kinda like camping, but I thought most people really hated it.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
I was a big Pokemon fan back when Smash for N64 was released, so naturally Saffron was my favorite stage. Loved it when Charmander would pop out of door and yell "CHARMANDER!" I also liked Hyrule in N64.

For Melee, I'd love to have Final Destination and Mute City back. I still occasionally screw up my recovery with the brawl FD ledges, and Mute City in brawl is just not fun at all. One hit with a car and you are almost dead....

Brawl has Smashville though, so it pretty much makes up for it

Ck-2

Smash Cadet
I agree, I also build many custom stages to have a little more taste of the neutrals. However, mine don't look that ugly :) You just have to be a little creative.

Ck-2

Smash Cadet
Yeah, you just need see my new custom stages, Vorguen. They are better than the original and lame, SECK.

Energy Whip

Smash Cadet
Fountain Of Dream is a real shocker to be missing I used play everyday there but Pictochat is my favorite stage because on my Nintendo DS I'm quite used to the drawings. xD

Geist

Smash Master
I know that none of the 64 stages made an appearance in Brawl, but ****. Dreamland 64 was probably the greatest stage ever made.
Making neutral stages in stage creator is pretty cool though.

Maxmagnus20019

Smash Rookie
Oh god, imagine the amount of Meteor Smashes that'd occur if Peach's Castle from N64 made an appreance in Brawl.

Pictochat is a great stage, so is Smashville.

Also, atleast you can customize how frequently songs play in each stage, it makes each stage a bit more enjoyable IMO.

Ck-2

Smash Cadet
Nah ours are the best, you just don't want to admit it. Either way I'm tired of playing custom I only play them for the music. Gerudo Valley for the win. lol
Na, I disagree, Vorguen. You haven't even played at my house, so HOW would you know?

krpao

Smash Rookie
all ssb64 stages, FoD and fourside. kirby's stage too. what was it? dreamland?

Ck-2

Smash Cadet
Okay, who would change Pokemon Stadium 2 for Saffron City? I would.

Ck-2

Smash Cadet
WHAT? don't you think that Pokemon Stadium 2 alters the gameplay, giving advantages to certain characters during fights where it could be even?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Guys, this thread really should be locked. We need to stop posting.
To answer the question, yes. Brawl has good stages.
/endthread.

Ck-2

Smash Cadet
/endthread.
Why do we NEED to stop posting? Notice that the name of this thread is "Is Brawl lacking any good stages". I'm in no way claiming that brawl doesn't have good stages. And, people think differently, your opinion is vague. My question promotes discussion, pondering, and analyzation. If you can't stand the heat then get out the kitchen. Go whine somewhere else.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
/endthread.
Seriously this is your opinion and I find this thread to be quite good for my entertainment and it keeps giving me nostalgia of the good old N64 stage days.

If you don't like the thread or don't think it is important, then don't post here. If a mod thinks it needs to be closed, then he can close it. For the rest of us who enjoy discussing stages that could have been included in the game, kindly respect that your opinion is not fact and not everybody shares it. Thank you. :)

Why do we NEED to stop posting? Notice that the name of this thread is "Is Brawl lacking any good stages". I'm in no way claiming that brawl doesn't have good stages. And, people think differently, your opinion is vague. My question promotes discussion, pondering, and analyzation. If you can't stand the heat then get out the kitchen. Go whine somewhere else.
Cheesy, but true. lol

Pink murder

Smash Ace
☠▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ☠ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬☠

They're right you know ^^. There's no need to close the thread. I find it pretty entertaining as well.
I wish they had put some Nintendo 64 stages in, but they didn't... W/e, it doesn't mean that its lacking good stages. Smashville is a perfect example ^^

☠▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ☠ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬☠

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Bleh I didn't like Pictochat, not a huge fan. My favorite stage is Smashville. I love Luigi's Mansion too, even though I never played the game. Just the background and the scenery is amazing, and so is the music.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
The metal mario or even fighting polygon team stages would be nice even though they wouldn't really be much different from Yoshi's Island (Brawl) (except for the sides, obviously) and battlefield. Seriously, I'd rather have more decent stages than ones that nobody EVER plays on competitively

Stages...stages...
BOARD THE PLATFORMS!

Top Bottom