• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Brawl still played the same way as it is played in Melee

mirage_drag0n

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing Melee for a few years and going to get Brawl soon.
What I want to know is if you were good in Melee, are you going to be good in Brawl?

For example, in Melee i was really good with Sheik and Marth. Are they still played the same way in Brawl or are they weaker now and should be played a whole entire way?

BTW if I was good with Sheik and Marth in Melee, who would I be good at in Brawl?

Mann

Smash Ace
Hells no. | |||||

If you were good in Melee, you'll do pretty well coming into Brawl knowing how to adapt to situations. However, the gameplay is slower. For some that became a big problem. And for others, not so much. Take a look at the character discussions. Marth had some changes, but can still be played almost the same way. Shiek has a hard time.

Break

Smash Apprentice
Technically yes, because any Melee player worth their merit should be able to adapt rather quickly. It's annoying here people say "No, it's a completely different game". Sure you won't automatically be good by Brawl standards, but you'll be a helluva lot better then someone who never played Melee or 64.

JJ259

Smash Apprentice
Marth seems to be played more or less the same, although he is a little slower(mainly just because the game is slower overall as Mann said). I didn't play sheik much in melee so I wouldn't be able to tell you there. Chances are she's a bit slower as well simply because the game changed overall.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
marth is pretty much the same, except for his shortened range and his crappy grabs you need to get the hang of.

go read m2k's thread on new marth stuff in the marth forums

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
Its More random and hetic, Its a different ball game.
Unless you're talking about with items on or on tournament illegal stages, you're obviously referencing tripping, and to call the game something like that based on tripping is moronic.

It'll feel a bit more cinematic and a bit less rushed. You ought to play well if you weren't relying on L-canceling and Wavedashing and broken maneuvers.

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
Compared strictly to melee in competive play tripping does add a whole new random element and in effect makes it a bit more hectic. With tripping ground characters are now at risk for falling into an fsmash or combo. Dash dancing becomes pot luck of either confusion or failure.

OP:
The equivlent of tripping in melee would be letting go of the controls everytime a random number generator picks 1 or 2. Also as the current meta game stands, it is way more campy than melee, but this will probably change as the game evolves.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The CPU plays smarter in Brawl than in Melee. Even the level 1s will do a few sneaky tricks every now and then.

mirage_drag0n

Smash Apprentice
btw which hasn't changed the most in brawl? and can be played the same way as they were played in melee?

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
The CPU plays smarter in Brawl than in Melee. Even the level 1s will do a few sneaky tricks every now and then.
The CPU does more types of attacks. It does smashes and tilts sometimes, instead of a,a,a,a,a.... However it is still quite dumb. The lv. 9 will still run into a fully charged fsmash every time. On some stages, I've been able to spotdodge at the right time and the cpu will suicide. Computers don't have mindgames, they do exactly what they are programmed to do.

Mizar

Smash Ace
The CPU does more types of attacks. It does smashes and tilts sometimes, instead of a,a,a,a,a.... However it is still quite dumb. The lv. 9 will still run into a fully charged fsmash every time. On some stages, I've been able to spotdodge at the right time and the cpu will suicide. Computers don't have mindgames, they do exactly what they are programmed to do.
Lol, yeah I noticed that too. For example, hang onto an edge when fox, falco or wolf uses his final smash. The tank will just stay in the middle of the stage doing barrel rolls.

Top Bottom