• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Brawl the Last Smash?

Magnacor

Smash Ace
As long as there is more Nintendo consoles, with more disk space, there will be room for more characters, stages, items, modes, etc for them to add on and improve the game with.

spindash

Smash Ace
If it is, I'd say it's a good way to end the series. A trilogy of Super Smash Bros., how lovely.

I do hope it's not the end, but if it were I'd not be upset either. I've gotten what I've wanted out of this game. *grins*

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
I realy doubt it, it may be sakurai's last smash, but the, but the last smash bros? no. I can EASILY see a hand held smash made(THE PERFECT TRAVEL GAME!) and I can see 1-2+ more made. as long as nintendo is expanding, getting more characters, and doing well, I think we will see more smash.

Lightning Ice

Smash Journeyman
I think we are forgetting how many people work on a project as big as Brawl. Even if Sakurai doesn't make any more smash games I don't think there will be much of a notice, maybe a lack of a mode or of a move. Sakurai is putting a huge amount of effort into the game because it is most likely his last smash game but that doesn't mean the next smash (if there is one) won't be epic.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
For each new system nintendo makes, be sure there will be a smash bros game for it.., and Sakurai may say its his last, but just like the pokemon people when nintendo shows him a paycheck new ideas will instantly pop into his mind.

Lightning Ice

Smash Journeyman
For each new system nintendo makes, be sure there will be a smash bros game for it.., and Sakurai may say its his last, but just like the pokemon people when nintendo shows him a paycheck new ideas will instantly pop into his mind.
I guess that's one way to look at it...

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I say there wil be more after Brawl, if it makes Nintendo $$ then there going to keep putting them out.

Hmaal

Smash Journeyman
Yeah but it'll be a couple years or actually alot more but i think that'll make another.

Red&Silver

Smash Journeyman
i think it will be the only one for this system seeing as how they did that with gamceube and N64

Spellman

Smash Ace
Smash may make a lot of money, but I bet it costs a lot of money based on the hundreds of people who are hired to make it. That doesn't mean it's not profitable, or that there isn't a reason to still make more.

I think that since this is such a reputable game, it encourages people to buy other Nintendo games. So I think we'll continue to see more Smash Bros. games, 'til Nintendo crashes and burns (not happenin' any time soon).

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Brawl is definetly Sakurai's last smash, and I don't think Nintendo will be asking for anybody else's, since they asked Sakurai to make Brawl. possibly why there is a delay, they want to go out with as good a game as possible.

Demoncannon

Smash Ace
I think that the series will still live on, maybe onto the DS like the mario party series did but mainly on the big home consoles that Nintendo make. Only since the N64, Gamecube and Wii have been home consoles with super bros on it, chances are it will live on.

raymanbud714

Smash Journeyman
If they did make more it would have to be run by sakurai... i mean u cant make a great game with someone elses mind and ideas about it when you love the ideas of the original.

Hmaal

Smash Journeyman
Well if he handed the project over to someone else whom he trusted to complete it properly then we shouldent be worried.

HourglassMemory

Smash Journeyman
I could see the series grow even more, but ****!
It has to end someday!
Let the guys rest!

I think Sakurai has thought about that, and I think he's doing his best to make this game good enough to be played for years.

finalark

SNORLAX
Well hey, look at FF, they are on number XIII (13) right now but that's due to it's popularity. My friend who has never shown and interest in games now checks the Dojo every day because of how great the SSB series has become. Needless to say, if it keep it up in popularity, when the next Nintendo system comes out there will be a Super Smash Bros. for that too.

Super_alex2

Smash Journeyman
There's no doubt in my mind that we'll play brawl for 6+ more years, but I think we'll have to wait untill Nintendo's NEXT system comes out. I think it'll be out in like 8 years...LOL

Hmaal

Smash Journeyman
If we just be patient and wait for the next one like we've been patient for Brawls then we all should be alright.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I don't think so. However, if Nintendo can fix it's online similar to 360's, then I don't think I'd mind playing Brawl forever :D

Demoncannon

Smash Ace
well i do believe the series will continue like Mario Party has and maybe if the DS is still going strong in the years o come maybe it will be Super Smash Bros DS, or on the latest Nintendo console after the wii.

jupiter

Smash Apprentice
before the countdown to the re-openned Dojo, on the old Dojo site, there was an article to read about "how this game was made"

It's an article written by Sakurai describing what happened at a seminar/meeting/convention. President of Nintendo announced the Wii and said games were for it were in the making. He then said that they were already working on the next installment of Super Smash Bros for the Wii. Sakurai was in the audience and jokingly said in his article, "i've been working on the next Smash game? Where have I been?"

He said that he felt he had no other choice but to make it. The president of Nintendo apologized to Sakurai for putting him on the spot, but that he'd really be honored to have Sakurai work on the next installment. Sakurai gave in and agreed to work on it. He had no plans before that day on working on a Brawl game.

The president of Nintendo pretty much told Sakurai that he couldn't imagine anyone else to create a game like Smash other than Sakurai himself. Also, that the game couldn't be rested on anyone else's hands but Sakurai's.

Those words are the sugar candy that sweet-talked Sakurai into making the game.

During an interview much later by Gamespot.com (article available on www.gamespot.com), Sakurai explained why they chose Snake to be in the game, and said that online play would be very hard to do. He also said that he's considering to add "1-2 more" 3rd party characters aside from Snake.

He also stated that a DS game was *NOT* in development and that there are no plans whatsoever. When gamespot rep asked about Smash DS, Sakurai said, "I think people should look forward to [Smash Bros Brawl] since we are putting so much hard work into it." That's indirect for: "no, don't ask for a DS game when we are working hard on a Wii game for you"

Regarding back to the "How this Game Was Made" on the old Dojo site, Sakurai pretty much said that he isn't planning or even thinking about another Smash game after Brawl.

The reality in this is: When Nintendo comes out with their next-gen console in several years down the line, they're going to be BEGGING for another installment of Smash. If Sakurai isn't available to make it for us, I'm sure Sakurai (or Nintendo) would appoint his successor to the series to look over the next game with the same development team that have been working on this game (Brawl).

konoha107

Smash Apprentice
If they did make more it would have to be run by sakurai... i mean u cant make a great game with someone elses mind and ideas about it when you love the ideas of the original.
*ahem*Guitar Hero 3*ahem* Okay, look, I know Smash is different, but still...and I have no proof that some of the same developers did GH3, but a great Smash game could be made without Sakurai. Anything is possible.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The reality in this is: When Nintendo comes out with their next-gen console in several years down the line, they're going to be BEGGING for another installment of Smash. If Sakurai isn't available to make it for us, I'm sure Sakurai (or Nintendo) would appoint his successor to the series to look over the next game with the same development team that have been working on this game (Brawl).
Pretty much beat me to it.

The question is how many characters could possibly be added then.

Maeotian

Smash Cadet
I guess it might be the last one, at least based on the knowledge at the moment. I really can't see them outdoing themselves after Brawl. In order for them to make another Smash, there would have to be another console made. After all, why would you have two Smash games on one console? It has always followed a pattern

N64: SSB
GC: SSBM
Wii: SSBB

Perhaps when they unveil their new console in the future, there should be another Smash for that, but I think this will be the only one, at least for the Wii.

Top Bottom