• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is buffering with wigi really essential?

Baby Mr.L

Smash Rookie
Who needs buffering when you can just do a SH double aerial or something?It does make a good taunt though...

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
It's just a different attack.

Sometimes you use dnAir, sometimes you use bbAir, and sometimes you use fAir FFAD. You just mix it up.

Eten

Smash Ace
I don't believe it is essential at all. It doesn't make Luigi actually faster so... The only use I can imagine that it really has is using the invincibility portion to dodge an attack right after executing an aerial into an attack instantly off the ground. However, I don't see what that accomplishes better than a SH double aerial in which you use the full duration of your short hop DI to space with aerials.

If I fast fall the later half of my short hop(and lose some of the distance I could cover in that short hop for spacing), I'm fast falling a Nair to hit my opponent.

Player01

Smash Journeyman
well actually it does make luigi faster because it eliminates all landing lag and i agree that it should not be overused but its a good mix up because double aerials can be predictable and sheild grabbed. if u buffer u can go from the air dodges invincibility frames almost instintly to a spot dodge, which could dodge the opponents grab.
(not 100 percent sure on this)
does aerial>buffered grab work on shield grabbers too, maybe you can grab them first. not sure though.

EDIT: i think its best to start buffering your aerials when your opponent is in kill percentage because buffering is the easiest way to pull off a fsmash imo.

Player01

Smash Journeyman
NOOB question:
what is buffering and how is it performed?
well it very complicated........................yeah not really.

all u do is do an air dodge before u land on the ground. you will notice that luigi has NO landing lag and he will just be standing. by doing this you can perform your next move instantly. what most people do is short hop dair>buffer(by air dodging before landing)>smash attack. you can also fast fall buffer/air dodge(FFAD) which makes you even faster.

oh almost forgot when u are in air dodge animation start doing your next move (like spam c stick or jabs or something) for fastest results.

yeah all this is to make luigi faster.

Player01

Smash Journeyman
well apparently not to baby mr L and eten. i guess its all just your opinion.

yeah i never got technical in melee. i was more casual back then so i dont really know what L canceling is. lol

soccerdude7200

Smash Journeyman
ya

it doesnt really seem exactly the same, but it does appear to be similar.

idk. I was never really very serious about melee either...

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
so it's kinda like L-canceling in Melee?

That sound extremely helpful.
It keeps getting described like L-canceling, but it's not so similar. You aren't really canceling any lag.

Buffering is inputing your next move while in the middle of some other move, so that when that one finishes the next one will come out instantly. You can only buffer during some moves, like a landing Air Dodge. Actually, that's the only buffer I know of.

FFAD is what you're thinking is similar to L-canceling. Fast Fall Air Dodges is a way of landing as quickly as possible while at the same time having invincibility. You'll land with a little more lag than if you didn't FF, but you'll also have invincibility from the AD before you land. And because you're landing with an AD, you can also Buffer the next move so it comes out ASAP.

Seriously, I'm gonna make a topic on this.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Buffer doesn't just have to be with aerials, most of my buffers are in the forms of grabs, jabs, and smashes. Even if you think its not essential, do it anyway, it's not that hard and it makes Luigi more Fluid in general. I think it's a staple to the Luigi game, so I use it every time I hit the ground.

Buffered Up-Angled Fsmashs are great surprises.

Eten

Smash Ace
I guess my biggest problem with SHADing is that you can buffer an attack in the landing frames anyway w/o the airdodge. The buffer window is smaller, but it's still there, so you still have the same 0 delay between landing lag and a move.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
I guess my biggest problem with SHADing is that you can buffer an attack in the landing frames anyway w/o the airdodge. The buffer window is smaller, but it's still there, so you still have the same 0 delay between landing lag and a move.
It seems that inputing a move during the lag frames of the current move is a sort of "mini buffer", which is why I believe we can pull off Autocanceled ddAirs (which requires you not to waste a single frame) with such precision so easily. I mean, to Autocancel ddAirs you can't waste even 1/60th of a second. My best guess at why this is so easy, is that we can input the first dAir in the 5 startup frames of the Jump, and the second dAir during the 14 lag frames of the first, so they both buffer without wasting a single frame.

So yeah, I think we can buffer from any Landlag (2 frames for Slow Fall, 4 for Fast Fall) or the lag of any move in general... but with an AD you can get up to ~30 frames of more time to input. 2-4 frames compared to ~4-34 frames is a huge difference.

Eten

Smash Ace
It seems that inputing a move during the lag frames of the current move is a sort of "mini buffer", which is why I believe we can pull off Autocanceled ddAirs (which requires you not to waste a single frame) with such precision so easily. I mean, to Autocancel ddAirs you can't waste even 1/60th of a second. My best guess at why this is so easy, is that we can input the first dAir in the 5 startup frames of the Jump, and the second dAir during the 14 lag frames of the first, so they both buffer without wasting a single frame.

So yeah, I think we can buffer from any Landlag (2 frames for Slow Fall, 4 for Fast Fall) or the lag of any move in general... but with an AD you can get up to ~30 frames of more time to input. 2-4 frames compared to ~4-34 frames is a huge difference.

In addition, you train your fingers to input commands at the right times even if you can't realistically have reflexes that fast. If you look at melee, people hit 1-4 frame windows of input all the time, simply because they're used to it.

With the little bit of mini-buffering all thoughout Luigi's game, it's not hard to eliminate nearly all human-related lag, making the "30 extra frames of buffer time", imo, pretty useless.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
In my guide on Buffering Applications I said you don't HAVE to use to air dodge to buffer, I just think it reduces the chances of doing a buffered move in the air if you air dodge. That way, the game will be forced to register the move AFTER the air dodge instead of possibly performing the move in mid-air.

Plus, its a habit I haven't gotten out of since Melee Lag Cancel Days, so thats another reason I do it.

If two things produces the same results, and one way makes it easy to do, wouldn't you rather do that?

Top Bottom