• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Homebrew Channel worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
I've been thinking about getting it just to have fun with Brawl, and maybe try Brawl+ just for fun. Do you think it's worth the risk?

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Definitely. It won't void your waranty, since you aren't opening up your wii and soldering in a chip or anything. Just a soft mod. Though I could be wrong...

strike42

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking about getting it just to have fun with Brawl, and maybe try Brawl+ just for fun. Do you think it's worth the risk?
yes its worth it b/c there is a whole crap load of stuff you can do with the homebrew channel besides brawl+.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Yes, it is. It might make the game MUCH more interesting and tolerable, and also open doors to a more attractive gaming experience. Alternate costumes, stage design, even custom music! Even if they're minor changes that don't affect gameplay, it's still enough to get you hooked for a longer time than the average Brawl... And having the option to save replays of over 3 minutes is always welcome! Plus, the unlimited pause button will help you with new angles to take pictires, and even explore places where the start button would've usually never been able to reach! I've seen SmashVille, Castle Siege, Rainbow Cruise and a lot of other stages much more extensively, and it's a huge time killer. :D

Now, Brawl+ messes with the gameplay, so you might or not like it, it depends on how you feel while you play it. I, personally, prefer the original.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
Many of my friends fear that the HBC will harm their Wii's. I kept trying to tell them it's nothing to danger, but they fail to comply, and I end up with a facepalm.

Do it, The only risk of harming your wii is if you decided to change internal data on your wii, such as deleting IOS's and improperly doing down/upgrades.

If it's just for cheats and screwing around, you'll only use Gecko OS, or Ocarina. that's nothing to be afraid of.

codfish92

Smash Ace
Denver Colorado: wishing it was never summer.
i'd get it for all the cool projects on brawl and the fact you can use the savegame extracter to backup save data you otherwise couldn't backup.

and if you don't like it, simply delete like you would any channel. it technically could void your warrenty if Nintendo considers it a foreign iso.

defentatly worth it. it'll make brawl at your place much more unique than brawl at anyone else's place.

if you use bootmii, you can back up ur wii's iso, making a brickproof wii.

Eargangsta

Smash Rookie
wtf homebrew channel enhances your wii and makes it better plus your can use it with brawl through gecko loader and hack custom textures from websites ND WHt not AND SAVE ANY REPLAY WITH LONGER THAN 3 MINUTE REPLAY obviously worth it

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
Yeah, i like brawl better.
But it's still Brawl. (I'm not talking about B+ only, mainly just regular Brawl with more features like Alt. costumes, longer replay saves & so on.

2 more questions though:

1. Is it easy to learn to use? I stink w/ comps. and things like that, so I'd like to know.

2. Can you use things like alt. costumes & stage music changes when on wifi if your opponent doesnt have HC?

tocador

Smash Lord
I think you cant hack wi-fi, so no :o.

The hack it-self aint thar hard, there is like this tutorial somewere in the boards, lurk for it.

@ET: But hes getting it to hack brawl mainly i think :p.

codfish92

Smash Ace
Denver Colorado: wishing it was never summer.
Yeah, i like brawl better.
you can still play regular brawl with the HBC, i do all the time.

and you can hack wifi with the right codes... which i will not post cuz of the sheer evil power they posses.

warioman brawl every one

But it's still Brawl. (I'm not talking about B+ only, mainly just regular Brawl with more features like Alt. costumes, longer replay saves & so on.

2 more questions though:

1. Is it easy to learn to use? I stink w/ comps. and things like that, so I'd like to know.

2. Can you use things like alt. costumes & stage music changes when on wifi if your opponent doesnt have HC?
1. it's very easy. just stick with the content people provide and you can get it no problem.

2. yes, yes, and yes. if you have custom textures and music. they will still work on ur wii, even online.(they won't work for them). you can't use any hack that affects a battle in anyway because that will cause a desync.(aka no way to cheat unless they have the exact same code on or your using the un-mentionable)

Revven

FrankerZ
Just get it for the simple fact that you get tons more stuff out of the Wii than you would if you didn't have the HBC. In other words, if the HBC didn't exist, the Wii would suck, plain and simple. The HBC actually SAVES the Wii, to me at least, because when it comes to Nintendo not putting Smash 64 on the VC in the US, that's already more than enough reason to get the HBC and use it to get Smash 64 on your Wii. Plus, you can do so much other cool stuff with it, such as customize your Wii Menu, backup save files you normally couldn't, download old games for free without having to pay Nintendo and wait months for them to come out, etc.

If anything, the HBC is what MAKES the Wii the Wii. To me, it enhances it, otherwise, my Wii would be sitting there gathering dust if the HBC didn't exist.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I've been pondering this as well, all this talk of 'bricking' your Wii put me off.

What are the chances of bricking anyways...

I say it's worth it. Textures are just so koool!

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Get the HBC for Region Free games. =)

Or you could do other stuff that's not playing a Region Free game. =(

j0s3ph

Smash Apprentice
I believe there is almost 0% chance of bricking if you use bannerbomb, which is what I used. Just read all instructions and warnings thoroughly and don't do anything stupid, you'll be fine. And yes, hack your wii, I love playing brawl with custom textures and songs

Unknownlight

Smash Journeyman
Of course it is! Downloading the Homebrew Channel has about as much of a risk as preforming a Wii System Update (probably less, actually). In other words: Risk exists, but remember that there's risk of tripping and breaking your neck every moment of your life. It may happen to some unlucky fellow, but it's ridculusly unlikely.

Downloading it doesn't void your warrenty anyway. I say go for it!

n88

Smash Lord
download old games for free without having to pay Nintendo and wait months for them to come out, etc.

Seriously, though, little to no risk is involved with the HBC, and it's definitely worth a try.

Dokutayuu

Smash Apprentice
As said previously, you have to do something pretty stupid to brick it.

Other than the emulators, there's some pretty nifty stuff. You can get your Wii to function as a DVD player, if you own Doom and Quake for the PC (as I do), it lets you use files from it to play it. I haven't been able to get either working on my PC since I upgraded to XP then Vista (shoot me now, please).

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
HBC is definitely worth it, just be careful with what you download and you can always uninstall it.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
If you don't like B+ like I do, you can still get the HBC to enhance your normal Brawl to another level... I love having Super Sonic and infinite replays... no tripping if I'm with friends but otherwise I can't remove it. :(

I get to listen to my own music too, and just as other people said it, it's not only for hacking Brawl, there's much more you can get.

...Or if you feel like messing around, you can do that too, just don't do any of the risky/stupid junk and you should be fine.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
In my opinion, it's absolutely worth it, as it's the only reason why I use my Wii anymore, but that's not the point.

Smash World Forums is technically not allowed to discuss the Homebrew channel and the like because of the illegalities that are involved with it, since we are owned by Major League Gaming. However, this is what the rest of the Internet and Google are for. Once you get Homebrew running, please feel free to visit the Smash Workshop subforum to discuss how hacking affects Brawl.

:026:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom