• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is hosting a torney at a public high school worth it?

Kaptin

Smash Rookie
Hey Smashboards,

I love Melee and PM and so do my friends. After many fests at my house they all think I should host a torney at our school. I know of 14 some kids who would definitively come but I don't know if it is worth the hassle (my school is notorious for being against our video game club ever since some kid who happened to be in the club hacked into the grades). Has anyone else hosted a fest at a public school? Has it gone over well? Thanks in advance!

Shynq

Smash Rookie
I've hosted a few tournaments in high school, and all of them were pretty successful. Just act like professionals and things will run kinda smooth.

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
Friend that graduated a few years ahead of me had one at our local college. I was in 10th grade at the time, but I went and it work out well. It's fairly small town so there wasn't much high level competition but it was a lot of fun.

Kaptin

Smash Rookie
I've hosted a few tournaments in high school, and all of them were pretty successful. Just act like professionals and things will run kinda smooth.
Thanks for the reply! Out of curiosity, did causal players come and if so did they have fun? I am kinda nervous they will be upset with no items and stock play.

Kaptin

Smash Rookie
Friend that graduated a few years ahead of me had one at our local college. I was in 10th grade at the time, but I went and it work out well. It's fairly small town so there wasn't much high level competition but it was a lot of fun.
Thanks for the reply! Did causal players ignore the rule set or did they kinda get it? I know when hosted a small torney for my local youth group most players turned on items and such

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
Thanks for the reply! Did causal players ignore the rule set or did they kinda get it? I know when hosted a small torney for my local youth group most players turned on items and such
Had no problems with people not following the rules, just make sure everyone understands the rules before you start and you should be fine :)

Last edited:

WHA?

Smash Ace
One was ran while I was in high school

- around 18-26 ish entrants
- we explained the rules to all
- casual players had fun as they got to play friendlies too
- motivated only 3 ppl to want to go to more tourneys and get better
- payout was in giftcards (school didnt allow cash payout)
- saw 3 tournies held, each with increasing attendance
- prolly need some staff/teacher to supervise event

Top Bottom