• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Ike Over-Powered?

Entropy

Smash Cadet
Look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-jrXwTpS7E.

The fact that he can KO Zamus when she's on <40% (at one point, he KOs her at 29%) with a non-charged smash seems insane...

Also, he kills at very low %ages with f-tilt and his dash attack.

He must be INSANELY slow to compensate for this ludicrous knockback on fairly quick attacks, I'd bet that even Ganondorf's Warlock Punch (neutral B) doesn't even KO at <30%...

Kirk

Smash Champion
There's no need to point out that Ike is indeed uber strong :D

Also a note, his dash attack in no way kills at low percents(except if gimping at the edge).

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Ike is indeed over powered. He isn't as slow as people think he is, and ontop of that; he's the coolest looking character. Suites me perfectly; we told you before. GOD TIER *****.

Entropy

Smash Cadet
I wasn't pointing it out as such, I was just wondering whether he did KO at that low %age normally, or if this video had Ike's enemies on low handicaps or the damage ratio is on 2.0 or something.

smileyfaceless

Smash Rookie
another thing you should point out is the stages they are playing on in the video, they are mostly mid-sized levels and the game wall is really close and also note that ike is playing Zero suit samus not regular samus who is slightly heavier

wodan46

Smash Cadet
Ike's Tilts and Aerials have the power and speed of a typical SMASH, but have awesome reach. His smashes are just plain lethal.

Ike is my nemesis, seeing as how I play Wario, and Ike's Sword has ridiculous reach, while Wario's stubby legs have minimal reach. As a level 9 AI, he's the only one that is able to beat me more often than I beat him.

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
are you asking if an slow powerhouse is strong? seriously not take it like offense but WTF whit that question???

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
Is Ike overpowered? I dunno, go ask Toon Link.

Disclaimer: This is not to say that Toon Link is overpowerd, just that on average he can ream Ike.

D

Deleted member

Also a note, his dash attack in no way kills at low percents(except if gimping at the edge).
ahh but dash attack to edge grab is so good vs tether users.

Shade Geist

Smash Rookie
i love how they never show Ike getting Easily edgeguarded. He is not "God-tier". Yes he is good, and when used correctly, incredibly versatile, but at the end of the day, a halfway decent faster character should be able to take him out. Though I must say, his AAA=amazing.

Entropy

Smash Cadet
are you asking if an slow powerhouse is strong? seriously not take it like offense but WTF whit that question???
I was asking whether he could actually KO at that low %age.

Of course I know he is powerful, I was just wondering if someone with game experience can tell me if Ike's smashes do kill characters roughly the same weight as Zamus at around 30-40%, because that is insanely powerful.

If you read my previous post, you would know that I asked whether the low %age kills in that video were to be expected in a tournament style fight, or whether handicaps or damage increasing options were used.

PwnageLlama

Smash Cadet
Ike's forward smash kills most characters at 40%.
His side a kills at much higher. (80%?)
In my opinion, his best KO option is his Forward or Backward air. They kill at higher %'s but have good range.

I think there is a Kill %s video floating around somewhere, try Kirk's guide.

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
He is made for 4 player games just like ganon. You can run rings around him in a 1 vs 1 match and he can't do anything about it if you know what you are doing.

MeestaWombat

Smash Rookie
that was a very cool, albeit biased video. just because zamus can die at such low percents at the far end of a stage doesn't mean other characters will.

i feel sort of bad for the zamus player though. i hope a lesson was derived from these experiences!

i think ike is character that requires a lot of patience and a good amount of opponent-reading.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
Well, let's see... ike is pimp, plus looks cool.. and NOT TO MENTION

if you do snake's "special taunt" on shadow moses while ike is on the screen, Snake himself admits he is intimidated by Ike, so.. yea ike owns, nuff' said

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
Ike's forward smash kills most characters at 40%.
His side a kills at much higher. (80%?)
In my opinion, his best KO option is his Forward or Backward air. They kill at higher %'s but have good range.

I think there is a Kill %s video floating around somewhere, try Kirk's guide.

....ummmm NO. It doesn't. Not even half the characters ...not even a quarter of them.

Don't forget about stage positioning and DI. You know how many nub Ikes I ditto everyday and due to *cough* lag I get hit by a stupid Fsmash and I DI the crap out of it and survive well over 40%... There is no guaranteed percentage for an early forward smash kill. Sometimes the opponent DI's IN the direction which makes the move seen stronger..sometimes they DI properly against it. All in all don't generalize and make up new standards because a Zamus got early fsmashed and died. Who knows if he helped the Ike with his DI or not but I know for certain Fsmash is not killing any good player anywhere ON the stage at 40%. Maybe off the stage right off the edge..even then I can see them surviving..maybe lol :psycho:

i think ike is character that requires a lot of patience and a good amount of opponent-reading.

Patience..?! What patience...just nair to AAA spam with proper spacing :psycho:

No but seriously ...you have to be aggressive with Ike. You can't just stand there....there are these things called projectiles and they kind of exceed the reach of Ike's ***** shaped sword so yah...you kinda have to use quickdraw alot and chase the crap out of your opponent. That's how I beat Lucarios ^_^. Btw Lucario is a dam ***** to fight.
Also accepting Ike dittos!!!. PM ME or AIM me (xsilvenx)

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
I see a lot of kills of ZSS by Ike, most of which are at killing percentages for Roy; the only difference in the two is that Ike traded in some speed for the reach on his sword.

What I don't see is any sort of overpoweredness.

notnarb

Smash Cadet
If you know what you are doing, it is fairly easy to punish Ike. I've found the punishability of ike and his strength even out, even though in a match it may not seem fair (you just landed in 5 hits and he accomplished the same with one). A well placed sidestep or air dodge can do wonders.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ike can get pressured very badly because his attacks do come out slower than average. So no, he's not overpowered. In order to live, he needs to be smart and space well, or die. However, he is very good at spacing because he has massive range to back him up and every hit he lands is VERY STRONG.

No, Ike is definitely one of the better characters, but he does have significant weaknesses that will keep him from being a true top tier.

Top Bottom